It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

I don't even disagree with half of the stuff! I agree that probably about 90% of my feed and activity on facebook is worthless! But the 10% that is pertinent helps me stay organized, attend events, schedule things and a slew of other things that aren't available via any other ONE website...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I do not care to be popular. I like to put my .02 in on ATS though. Facebook is for popularity contests. Contests that at the end of the day, mean crap.

I have an issue with being on ATS too much. Just like right now I am supposed to be out under my car changing the fuel pump.

oooh man you just summed it up for me!

I stopped using facebook a year or so ago, I found it so intrusive and annoying...If I want to know what someones doing I'll call them and ask.

ATS is my crack! Mind you ive been weaning myself of that too lately

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I DID IT!!!

here's what I put in the comments for why I deleted the account:

"Useless...set up for the brain dead.

I find myself loosing braincells as I read countless number of 'news status'" about what a person is doing 24/7.

Goodbye"

See, I have felt this way about FB for at least a year now, and even recently found myself caught up in the FB drama (wondering why certain 'friends' would not "like" or "comment" my posts

But of course I was posting intellectual things, or national news.

HOORAY for me

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicwind73
I had a three month stint on the whole faceplant thingy. I was constantly updated on "vital" info such as: "My horse radish garden is out of control! LOL!!!" "My son Andrew's farts are so bad it could peel the paint off the walls! LOL." Hilarious youtube video of someone getting kicked in the crotch. Cindy likes a local restaurant, and was kind enough to tell everyone about it. "I'm making chili today, mmmmm, smells sooo goood..." Someone I don't know just invited me to be their friend! Yippeeee!!!! Kyle liked my comment, and Bart posted a message on my wall! I'm so frickin popular, I now have eighty two Facebook friends! Etc, etc....Ad nauseam...

I soon came to the realization that talking infantile masturbation on a daily basis was not in my best interest, and a monumental waste of time. Remembering that there is a myriad of topics to be discussed on ATS with a variety of members with IQ's above mud unlike my facebook "friends" prompted me to delete my account and leave the nonsense behind.

From now on, I consider ATS my online family. Where else can you discuss such matters as UFO's, meta physics, government corruption, gnomes, weather manipulation, earthquake data, Atlantis, lost civilizations and the like?

I couldn't care less about the smell of farts and horseradish gardens, or the fact that so and so's son has just come out of the closet. Facebook is fine for the somewhat provincial, but if one craves a bit more intellectualism in their diet I recommend ATS.

I'll put this as gently as I can: You need new friends. My wall looks nothing like that, at all. Maybe it's because I actually know everyone I friend, as in I've actually met them face-to-face and share something in common. Or, maybe I only add quality friends too, which is true. I ignore friends requests from people I know but don't like, or people I know, but as I've gotten older I don't wish to "know" anymore.

Something to chew on, and as Ben Franklin said: "You are the friends you keep."

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
hey guys this is my first post here as THIS thread made me create an account so i could add my 2 cents on facebook. i never had a FB though had a personal Myspace and band myspaces for music projects. now that MS is a total spam generator/wasteland. everyone moved over to FB. i dont get it. myspace was kinda bad at point but i could see the value of it for bands and peole in the DIY sceen to keep incontact/share music/make contacts. it seams to me that FB is just ego stroke. and in a way for people to keep tabs on others. i know a wide age range of people who use FB from my father and his friends who are in there 50's to my friends little brother. I notice that alotf of you who dont use FB say that people look at you weird when you dont have one. i get the same thing and it makes my blood boil. sometimes it seams that certin people would rather not have to deal with trying to contact a none FB using person. i could go on and on about how its doing nothing but make people withdaw from real life but its not the case for some people. Me on the other hand. i like to have people tell me about there day in person using there mouth and vocal chords. not reading bout it on a plasma computer screen. one more thing before i end my first (and probly not the last) rant on ats. my girlfriend had told me that when you "get rid" of your profile its not really gone like how it WAS on myspace(i found out MS is the same way now) cause iof you choose to go back on face book and re-register a pop up will come up saying that you can retrive your old profile....creepy if you ask me. thanks for your time and i hope i added something to this thread.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

Facebook, Google and other social networking sites are legitimate targets on a website that are based on conspiracy theories, like ATS.

It has already been admitted by intel agencies that they do use these types of sites to spy on people but only by "friending" them.
Well, ive learned in my life that when someone admits to something, they only admit to the least amount that they can get away with.
So, its my opinion, as well as others on this site, that what they admit to, is just the tip of the iceberg to what is actually going on.

So, think about that before you say that a FB topic has no place on ATS.
edit on 6-4-2011 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

dude, way to name-call over the internet....pumping up that self-esteem, i see.

Yes, I have a FB. Yes, my self esteem is fine.

Can anyone provide a link relating to the study that showed everytime some 'liked' your status or sent a tweet it released dopamine or serotonin... thereby leading to a 'addictive' behavior???

I personally believe FB and Google are large scale spying apparatuses. Look at Gibbs possibly going to Facebook or the cozy relationship between the US Government and Google.

Links to FB and Psych.:

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.dailytelegraph.com.au... 0i-1225977402537

Just some interesting stuff I wanted to share.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
WTH!!!

I just went back after deleting the FB account, just to see if ever really deleted.

You all were right..It WASN"T.

If you click on HELP, it says, "we never really delete the account, in case you want to come back."

Then there is a link to PERMANENTLY delete, and yes, it takes 14 for completion.

DANG

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Ah yea, i forgot to mention that they allow you a 14 day "grace period" to come back. You have to perm delete it and not touch it for 14 days for it to be gone permanently.
I waited about a month before i tried logging back in again and it is actually gone now. When i enter my email addy it says, sorry we cannot find an account with that log in name or something along those lines.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Ah yea, i forgot to mention that they allow you a 14 day "grace period" to come back. You have to perm delete it and not touch it for 14 days for it to be gone permanently.
I waited about a month before i tried logging back in again and it is actually gone now. When i enter my email addy it says, sorry we cannot find an account with that log in name or something along those lines.

Cool! I'll leave it alone.

I already feel 'smarter'....people should try it

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

why? to give in to the peer pressure of ats "holier than thou" judges, on what is ok to take part in on the internet? look at you follow the crowd.

can't wait till i see any of the posters here complain when they're generalized for visiting ats. this thread is sooooo gonna be linked

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I've seen people come and go on Facebook, and the ones that leave usually demonstrate their inability to properly understand it as social tool.

A friend was going through a divorce and child custody agreement, he posted terrible stuff about his ex-wife. Other friends in his status messages said things like, "dude, take this stuff offline." "dude, her lawyers will get this info." He kept posting. He spiraled more and more out of control with his angry rantings... one day he deleted his profile and never came back.

I called him a few days later, because, you know, I actually am real life friends with everyone I know on FB, and he said he couldn't help see all these happy people postings as his life was going to hell. He was reaching out, and you know what he got help in the end. But it was like watching a train wreck as it happened.

He never understood the principal, "if you can't say it to your boss, your mom and your wife - then don't say it at all." Especially on the Internet where everything, including ATS postings, are saved forever.

I have a few other examples, but the best was a friend who sent a FB email telling folks he was deleting his account because he was wasting too much time on it. Guess what. It was the longest email chain I've ever seen, nearly all 200 of his friends wrote back and asked him to stay online... but mostly to just stop using FB as much as maybe that would help with his time management. And a year later he's still online and is funny as all hell - we're all glad he stayed and he dealt with it the right way. Asking his friends first.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Most popular social networking site in the world. When the owner has a dinner party with the President, you know the site won't be dying anytime soon...and why should it? It's a great way to communicate with friends, current, new, and old.

Also, I'm pretty addicted to Cityville right now
And it's a great way for politicians to get elected (ie: Obama).

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Noppe still there and will remain long after you are done feeling like you are some kind of pioneer for using a prepaid cell phone instead of an iphone and only using the internet for research instead of farmville. What just because you had an epiphany the rest of the world was supposed to stop using things you now feel are useless?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
Most popular social networking site in the world. When the owner has a dinner party with the President, you know the site won't be dying anytime soon...and why should it? It's a great way to communicate with friends, current, new, and old.

Also, I'm pretty addicted to Cityville right now
And it's a great way for politicians to get elected (ie: Obama).

Lets not get into Obamas love for entertaining celebrities *cough* (fundraising). Nobodies denying that [*SNIP*], made a lot of money but its not saying much that he had dinner with Obama, hell even George Lopez got to meet him.

Mod edit: Removed profanity.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 4/6/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I make music with a few of my Facebook friends. My fiction group is on there as well, and we read and critique each others stories.

What the average Joe uses these tools for is of no concern to those of us who use them for a purpose.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

might want to check yourself with your purposeful misspelling of mark zuckerberg's name. circumvention of censors can get you banned.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I hope Facebook goes away. I watch my wife every night..she is constantly on this site..I don't get the whole social network phenomenon

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

might want to check yourself with your purposeful misspelling of mark zuckerberg's name. circumvention of censors can get you banned.

So funny that a few minutes after you posted that, I got a mod edit... "if you see something, say something" right?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Noppe still there and will remain long after you are done feeling like you are some kind of pioneer for using a prepaid cell phone instead of an iphone and only using the internet for research instead of farmville. What just because you had an epiphany the rest of the world was supposed to stop using things you now feel are useless?

I never advocated to anyone quitting Facebook, but it took me getting thrown off to realize what it had turned me into. That was my point to the thread, I became a media addict! But some of us can drink, smoke, use drugs and NOT ruin there lives, others can't.
Some day there will be virtual reality simulations so real, total immersion into interactive virtual worlds. Some will feel more comfortable here in virtual reality then out in the real world, some will not.
I respect others abilities to make decisions based on personal experiences of there own, not mine.
You should too!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join