It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AboveTopSecret.com - Triple-Digit Growth Over The Past Two Years

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Edews

If ATS gets much larger we might need a usenet style client interface to filter out the clutter.
Maintaining filter lists server side would overload the system with custom index sorts.
Glad the owners are finally getting some good advertising revenue for their effort though.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by DocEmrick
I knew there was a reason the quality of the content posted went down 10fold.

On what do you base an increase in overall traffic correlates to a decrease in quality?

When I started posting here, there were good discussions regarding a multitude of topics that piqued my interest. If anything, today, it seems more anecdotal hearsay in nature than it did a few years ago.

The increase in traffic has attracted people who want to share their experiences, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just prefer quality, hard-nosed research as opposed to "I just saw a UFO, here are some pics I took with my camera phone."
edit on 5-4-2011 by DocEmrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Record breaking profits and viewership/attention from America and all over the world is the perfect opportunity for ATS and all of it's members/viewers to get behind a REAL CANDIDATE 2012 and to start supporting REAL CANDIDATES for government throughout!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The world has gone crazy, people are confused, scared and looking for answers, no wonder your site traffic is increasing.

Whilst there are some really weird and out there concepts here at ATS, which can be very amusing, frustrating, or infuriating, this site brings like minded people together from around the world, in a place where we can share our thaughts, observations, experiences and fears.

Thank you for giving us seemingly in-significant little beings on this Earth a voice and place to come to learn, share, and just be individual.

Peace and Tranquility to Earth and All.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
Too bad it is tempered by total censorship(moderators). of freedom of speech. I only stay on here because I hate this site so much. If you have a voice against their left wing agenda or against their politically correct speeech agenda then you will see what I mean. ATS broke my heart. I will break theirs.

I thought you said you were leaving because of what you state above?

Naaaa, you can't do it can you?

It's a shame the rise in quantity is slightly marred by the falling quality of posters like you who love to complain and will probably never contribute much here worth while in future.

-------------------------

Well done ATS.

Cheers Springer, Skeptic and all at the helm of this ship in stormy seas on a voyage of discovery.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
how are the *ads doing? fine you say? is the income any better now ? yes you say?

good for you guys...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Skeptic Overlord,

What wonderful news! Congratulations to the owners, staff, and of course, us members for making ATS what it is today!

ATS has become much more than a springboard for my personal ideas and philosophies. When I started lurking in '08, I was too scared to post, mostly because I had no idea about the amount of information out there about all of the topics that we so frequently discuss. When I finally joined in '10, it was because I thought I could offer my advice and my experience with the paranormal/esoteric side of things. Well, over a year later, I am still here. I consider ATS part of my very large extended family, and I have made many friends here that will be my friends for a lifetime. What you have all created is a bastion for knowledge in a world that looks down upon critical thinking, without a political/economic spin.

Once again, congratulations, and here's to many more years of insightful, thought-provoking discussion.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The owners of ATS and the frequent and amazing contributors made this possible.

Kudos, to you all!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAnnunaki

how are the *ads doing? fine you say? is the income any better now ? yes you say?

Thats also true... i sensed some sarcasm there lol.

Does it hurt you or affect you? I say why not, if it makes them money then kudos to them for a brilliant idea.

Do you have a facebook account? If you do, it's free right? But Zuckerberg is a billionaire for a site that offers free membership and free apps.... Very smart indeed

ATS is free, if you dont like the advertising then avert your eyes

edit on 5-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

yes and yes.

no i dont have a facebook account cause its lame IMO

owners off this site like to advertise them self more and more, thats naggin when the world is going to hell..
edit on 5-4-2011 by MrAnnunaki because: oh i didnt know..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I agree, i did have a facebook account but deleted it along time ago. If anything that site actually did lose some of it's fun and quality.... ( in reference to an above post of mine )

I dont understand why people are being negative towards ATS??
?? and at the same time logged on and using it...

I dont mean to sound rude or arrogant but if you dont like ATS or do not agree with it then dont use it.... pretty simple.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Whilst its great for the advertising revenue on this site that the numbers are growing its not all good in my honest opinion.

The quality of threads has gone from exceptional to mediocre with only a few 'skyfloating' style threads that really grip the attention. My page view count has fallen by about 80% since the new changes, not because I am against change, but because there seems to be more and more youngsters now than before and each thread ends up the same way.

Whilst the world continues to changes around us more and more people will flock to this site searching for answers however, again in my honest opinion, too many members can easily rock the boat over and what was once a well structured informal site can indeed be just as easily marred by a specific reputation.
edit on 5-4-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Does this have anything to do with the much ballyhooed drop of the unemployment rate from 9.6 percent to 8.9 percent? Or have the unemployed simply given up looking for jobs and have more time to spend on the internet?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

That i do agree with in regard to ATS, although i am guilty of posting a mediocre or wasted thread from time to time although not purposely, i do know what you mean.

I look forward to certain OP threads ( Skyfloating is definatly one of them as well
) and then at other times i just have to roll my eyes at the junk that appears and is pointless....

Whether it is duplicate threads, Hoaxes, junk or trolling.

I guess it just makes us appreciate the good quality threads and content much more when they are posted

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

they are logged in becuase on ATS the MEMBERS are giving better news than MSN DOH!...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Please dont make youth the subject of your ire. Thats entirely inappropriate. Under informed posters come in various age ranges, and singling out the young is a dire mistake. I was smarter, and my recordable IQ higher when I was ten than it is today. Only after a lot of years of bad educational establishments, and having the interest and the energy beaten out of me by classmates and drained from me by workshy teaching staff, have I reached the point at which I stand now. At the age of twenty six I miss being ten, the days when I used to be able to see the mechanics of a black hole as clear as the dawn, and speak precisely and with confidence on the facts and the figures involved with space exploration, the planets of our solar system ( the size and distance from Earth as well as other facts ) , and all manner of theories including the supermassive black hole discovery made a while back (which I first dreamed up as a little boy in the bath, staring down the plughole as the water drained out).
Nowadays I have to constantly refer to secondary sources for accurate information on the subjects on which I post here. I was verging on prodigious when I was young, and now I am a hollow shell in comparison. Youth is not a negative. Ignorance is, no matter the age of the person presenting it to you.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I have to politely disagree, it is not too hard to read a post nowadays and make a distinction between which age group it pertains to. Whilst you may have a high IQ unfortunately there are many members here that don't share the same intellect I am not talking about ignorance I am talking about kids messing around on a website.

Whilst I appreciate people have to start somewhere and there are many answers to be found on this site, that does not detract the fact that more and more younger people have signed up solely to troll and act the fool.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Well then why the negativity??

Just focus on what interests you and what is important

If you dont like the advertising dont look at it and if you dont like the Admins or Mods then dont focus on that part of ATS...

Be positive and happy
but at the same time be passionate about what interests you, no need to get caught up in things that you have no control over. If you like ATS content, articles and threads then just focus on that.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Sorry just wanted to add to my last reply -

I think another problem we have is that people are to rushed and concerned with kudos or stars and flags rather than taking the time to put a real and informative thread together. Half the time people dont research their idea's or information, then after that the people that read the threads are lazy and dont take 5 minutes to use a search engine to find real and factual data and instead take the OP for granted... if that makes sense.

Here is a perfect example of a thread posted just today;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Op posted something about being on a terror watchlist if....

It goes on to give a list of certian things that may put you on a watchlist. However after skimming through the replies, no one seemed to realise that the source of thread and the linked article was actually a blog with some other llinked articles that seemed less than 100% credible.

There was no actual DHS source or list on either the OP article or the linked article. The OP was so concerned with posting news before anyone else that they forgot to actually check how credible the article and link was.....

Yet they have 30 flags and people taking it for face value

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Yes I couldn't agree more, flags and stars its a good idea up to a certain point, but when it starts to detract attention to detail problems start to arise.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join