It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Sony...#OpSony

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/638f166c3ce8.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the reason for #opsony : http:///01CcMapf

and no we are not ATTACKING PSN, I repeat we are not ATTACKING PSN!
edit on 4-4-2011 by MarkofCain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
People forget Sony was the company secretly installing software on your PC when you tried to backup legally purchased CDs.

Firmware 3.60 included a root kit being installed on the PS3 HDD that monitors and reports tons of personal info. They are a company that is power hungry and won't be stopped unless people quit buying the products.

Nintendo has embraced piracy and it hasn't killed the Wii... it seems to have more games than ps3 or 360

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ok I admit to being one of the people who have "hacked" their PS3.

1. I have never accepted the TOS that came with the PS3 because I bought mine 2nd hand.
2. As soon as I got it out the box I immediately upgraded to a custom firmware which doesn't allow me to run copied games but does allow me to run unsigned code.
3. Sony removed a feature which they had advertised as part of the system (Other OS), you either allow yourself to play new games or you lose the functionality of Other OS. The reason they added this feature was so they could sell them as Computer Systems rather than entertainment devices, why? Because they make a bigger profit as the taxes for an entertainment system is a lot more than if you sold it as a Computer System. So when they removed the Other OS feature they were in fact changing it from a computer system to an entertainment system. Do you think they are going to pay the back taxes....no
There is a class action suit against Sony currently making it's way through the U.S court system for people who didn't want to upgrade,

Now I wouldn't have bought a PS3 if it wasn't for the fact that it was hacked, why? Because I have been waiting for a proper media center since XBMC on the original Xbox came out.
There is also a hacker called Graf_chokolo who has restored the Other OS feature and soon we will be able to Dual boot a full hardware accelerated Linux OS and the propriety Sony Game OS. When this happens I will have a machine that does almost everything I want.
And I should be able to do that because I purchased the system with my own cash.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
People forget Sony was the company secretly installing software on your PC when you tried to backup legally purchased CDs.

Firmware 3.60 included a root kit being installed on the PS3 HDD that monitors and reports tons of personal info. They are a company that is power hungry and won't be stopped unless people quit buying the products.

Nintendo has embraced piracy and it hasn't killed the Wii... it seems to have more games than ps3 or 360

Also the Xbox 360 was the 1st machine to be hacked of these generation of consoles and the hack only facilitates piracy. what did MS do? They banned the people from using xbox live, did it hurt their sales? No because most people went out and bought a 2nd console to play online with. Do we see MS suing everyone? No

Also in U.S law since the case against jailbreaking the Iphone it is now legal to modify your device to allow added functionality and when Geohot wins this case the same will apply to consoles.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
AHA /b/ strikes again?
The whole 'we are anonymous, we are legion' thing makes me think that anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FunktheNWO

no /b/ isn't the one doing this, its the AnonOps who are doing the attacks not the /b/tards but we've made a couple of threads announcing the attacks to /b/

and yes Anonymous is not synonymous with /b/

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LearnToSw1m
To all you folks supporting Sony in this, let me pose to you a situation.

You go out today and buy a shiny new Lincoln Navigator with Ford's "My Touch" system installed. You've purchased this vehicle because of the large cargo area in the back and the ease of access provided by the rear cargo door.

Now, 2 years from now, you take your truck in for regularly scheduled maintenance. Upon going to pick up your vehicle you are prompted to accept an agreement on the My Touch system. You are notified that by accepting the agreement that the rear cargo door of the vehicle will no longer open. You are also notified that should you decline the agreement, your critical fluids will never be able to be changed again because their filler caps will be permanently locked.

So, you do in fact have a "choice" as to whether or not you accept the agreement. However, whichever choice you make, you are going to lose some sort of functionality of your vehicle. Either you can no longer service the vehicle properly thereby shortening its life span or you lose the functionality of the rear cargo door.

This is the same "choice" Sony gave to their PS3 owners. You bring home a shiny new game only to be told you can't play it (or any other new games) unless you agree to update your console. So, either you decrease the life of your console to maintain the feature that was advertised right on the side of the box or limit the functionality of your console. Nice "choice" huh?

There are too many posts that I actually want to reply to but you have the most stars so let me tell you how crass and ignorant this comment is.

Simply, there is legislation put in place to protect consumers from this situation from ever occurring. And how is this legislation enforces? Different institution and organisations enforce these laws to protect consumers. From what I just read in the US you have the "Department of Consumer Affairs devoted to regulating certain industries and protecting consumers who use goods and services from those industries."*

*source

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

That's why there is a class action suit being filed against SCEA for exactly that reason.

Link

Also the U.S military are not happy about them removing it either because they were using Other OS to use them as supercomputer clusters.

Link

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Can anyone confirm whether Google YouTube has complied with this demand for IP address, or if it is just that Sony is asking for them?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

YouTube and Google are forced to agree as Sony have won the "rights" to check the IP's of those who have watched GeoHot's videos.

Sony also won subpoenas (.pdf) for data from YouTube and Google, as part of its lawsuit against the 21-year-old New Jersey hacker, as well as Twitter account data linked to Hotz, who goes by the handle GeoHot.

Bluehost maintains Hotz’s geohot.com site. The approved subpoena requires the company to turn over “documents reproducing all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records and application or registration forms” tied to Hotz’s hosting. The Bluehost subpoena also demands “any other identifying information corresponding to persons or computers who have accessed or downloaded files hosted using your service and associated” with the www.geohot.com website, including but not limited to the “geohot.com/jailbreak.zip file.”

source

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

Exactly, at least someone is nice enough and knowledgeable to dig up this case for us. I can't wait to read the hearing on May 12th. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tossed out of the court again. But the issue of discovery kind of annoys me because the fact that in this case the respondent Sony are unwilling to divulge information to the plaintiff, but in the Hotz case they are going all out to gather as much information as possible. I have a feeling also if the SCEA loses on this case also it could jeopardize the Hotz case

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkofCain

Google actually does resist legally sometimes in similar situations. It's not as simple as "you just have to do it". Even if it were, the army of Google lawyers would make it as complex and delayed as they wanted to. So I'm curious whether there's confirmation that it actually has happened or has just been demanded. I lean toward assuming it will be provided, but I want to be totally sure first.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

actually one judge has given sony complete and unrestricted access to all IP addresses of those who have ever visited his website and blog, or watched his YouTube video.

source

i don't know why google should not comply to this since they won't lose anything in handing out those IP addys.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
reply to post by mr10k

Sony would never remove any functionality that would piss people off for fear of having bad publicity that would result in decreased stock price, pissed off shareholders, and many other consequences sony probably does not want.

Oh really?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Might be my ps3 or internet connection, but I'm no longer able to log in even on the playstation US site. Any others facing similar issues at this hour?

This webpage is not available
The webpage at store.playstation.com...://us.playstation.com/uwps/PSNTicketRetrievalGenericServlet might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

yes we took down the sony store yesterday, I don't know about psn though.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkofCain

actually one judge has given sony complete and unrestricted access to all IP addresses of those who have ever visited his website and blog, or watched his YouTube video.

source

i don't know why google should not comply to this since they won't lose anything in handing out those IP addys.

they will loose something...
trust

kx

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Here it is. BOOM! Anon drops the bomb and the fallout is widespread.

Infamous hacking group, Anonymous, began a series of attacks against Sony earlier today, bringing down several Sony sites and the PlayStation Network

The website of the company handling Sony’s case has been brought down

One SonyRecon member boasted on the IRC (unconfirmed that he actually did it):

lol well like 30 min ago i left chocolate rain on the judge’s voicemail lawl

The extent of the attacks remains to be seen, but PlayStation LifeStyle will keep you updated.

source

The kind of greed and corruption that Sony is responsible for and partakes in makes me proud of Anon for this ongoing attack. Keep it up gang. Bring down their house.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

yep it is coming in thick and fast now...

kx

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Barely 100 people actually donated a computer to the botnet the rest were stolen.

“The HIVE is cooling down - Will be resumed later - The HIVE is being prepared for the biggest attack Sony has ever experienced
… We have several primary, several secondary, and several tertiary botnets involved in the attack. The HIVE is a bonus…”

The fact you people support botnet owners is sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join