It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Sony...#OpSony

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
sony are under attack at the moment from anon. The reasons why are shown below. The is so much happening these days with cyber attacks it is hard to keep up with it all. I do find it odd that you can be arrested for hacking your own playstation. If i decide to modify my car engine i have not broken any law why is this any different.
sony are well know for restricting copying laws and such and are happy to use the whip of the law whenever they want...
www.sonypictures.it... was hit earlier today with more to follow..

Congratulations Sony. You have the attention of Anonymous.

The Sony PS3 console was "hacked" or more appropriately, jailbroken, by iPhone hacker, Geohot. He managed to reverse engineer his own Playstation 3 to run homebrew applications on it. And then later released the method to the public, through his site, geohot.com. Sony hit him with a lawsuit and demanded social media sites, including YouTube to hand over IP addresses of people who visited Geohot's social pages/videos. Paypal have granted access to Sony for them to view Geohot's PayPal account. The judge of the case has given permission to Sony to view the IP addresses of everyone who visited geohot.com. Sony are also after another group of hackers for the same case. The PS3 hack which GeoHot released can be compared to the "unlocking" of a phone (i.e. Once you purchase the phone, it's yours, you can do whatever it is you want with it.)

anonops.blogspot.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22e452f03958.jpg[/atsimg]

kx
edit on 3-4-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Great thread, and I agree with you when you say that once you purchase something, you can do what you please with it. By breaching customers privacy, Sony should have realised that they were going to get into some sort of conflict...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have ethical issues with both sides.

Sony is going way too far with the IP searching and so forth. Shame on them for that. I mean, they can kick these people from online play on the console and the like without me batting an eye, since they are going against the terms of service. Give them a gimped gaming experience as far as connectivity goes and call it a day. Most modded system players I know (360) buy multiples so they can have a "legit" console for online play and modded one for everything else. This kind of overprotective response though is overkill and PR suicide.

At the same time though, with studios closing down all the time, does anyone actually think unlocking the PS3 is going to do anything outside of making bootleg games the norm? I could understand late into the consoles life cycle introducing the hack, because then the console is essentially a paperweight and you could squeeze out some more time with it by playing stuff you have to buy used anyway. But at 5 years, sitting on any exploit for a wee bit longer would have been my personal preference.

Like I said though, I take issue with both parties. Sony is overreacting completely and this unlocking will provide a lot of 15 year olds with free time a way to take money away from the developers. Despite all the money that goes to the bloated corporation heads, people at the bottom are affected too.

Most adults I know usually do the 2 console thing I said above or wait until a console is in it's death throes before breathing some new life into it. So I tend to turn away from the whole pro/anti-piracy thing. Both sides do have strong points along with the weak.

edit on 3-4-2011 by SweetRevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not a big fan of Anonymous, however
to them. Sony is evil!!

I still haven't forgave them for removing a feature on their PS3. I refer to the 'other OS' feature, which allows you to install other operating systems, then last year in a firmware update they removed it without warning anyone.

I agree, once you purchased something it's your property. And if someone wants to hack it and tell people how it's done then that's their right!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

You are so right. Sony is selling consumers it's products.....OR is it Sony is renting products to it's consumers?!?

Sure seems like the second scenario. What Sony says is like saying, you bought the PS3, it's yours to play etc. but when you decide to "modify" things, it's illegal? Wouldn't it only be illegal if the product was not 100% fully your property?!?

**GeT eM aNoNyMoUs***

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I like to being updated on the cyber wars and the media doesn't seem to report this stuff all that much. S&F

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It's like the saying goes:

"If you can't say anything nice, go anonymous & post it in an online forum"

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

The reason Sony is so mad about this is now the info is out and everyones going to be modding the PS3... What some people don't realize is that people in the the United States can afford to spend $60-$80 for a DVD full of info, but 3rd world consul players all pirate all of their games. Now the cat's out the bag

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If Sony was smart they would have hired the kid or payed him a huge amount of cash. I cannot think of a better employee to hire to help make your system more secure. Instead they really screwed the pooch.

If your system is badly coded and easily crackable you need to improve upon it, not try and pretend that it is uncrackable. Work smarter not harder. I predict the stock value of Sony stocks will take a decent hit from this. Sony will get mad and instead of admitting they screwed up will try to use more litigation and lawsuits. And anon will get even more PO'd and increase attacks against Sony, which will result in Sony stocks plummeting further, which will result in more litigation, etc. etc.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
If i buy something it is mine!

I dont know about PS3, but the things I have 'played' with have always had a sticker
(usually over an access screw) stating:

"if you remove this sticker you void your warranty".

I have then proceeded and voided my warranty.
That is where the story should end.

Go Anon!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I backup my wii games and play them off a harddrive, my wii's diskdrive broke after warrenty(many people have had this problem). This is illegal too, even though it doesn't damage anyone, and I'm not gonna pay nintendo more to fix the faulty system they sold to me.

I fully support the rights to mod your own hardware, make the pirating of games the illegal act, and leave homebrew as a right. They could easily be doing this on torrents and cracking down on most of the people downloading software not theirs, that's an actually more ethical approach.

I support the anonymous here, though I'd think they'd have better people to target.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
You own the hardware not the software.

Sony is protecting their software, and nothing else.
GeoSnot is an idiot, and anyone protecting him is an idiot.

edit on 4-4-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I call fake - move this to the hoax section.

Although there is no doubt that the story about Sony is true - this is not a warning from Anon. First of they pretty well don't warn, they act. Seccond, this message is so unlike any other message I have ever seen from Anon - "You saw a hornets nest and you stuck your penis in it" LOL That is so out of character forthem.

Fake!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Ok it's understandable that sony has a proprietary format in the PS3. HOWEVER.

If I buy a toilet with the intent to turn it into a planter for a freaking azalea bush, that's my business.

The end user went and bought the hardware with the intent of modifying it to his own design.

I think Sony has greatly overstepped their bounds here, I think Consumer Protection issues come into play.

Although I will say Geohot kind of asked for it when he started broadcasting he hacked his ps3 and here's how.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
What's with the multitasking? Didn't they target the federal reserve? It's undoubtedly a much more important target, and I can't see much damage being done.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OleMB
What's with the multitasking? Didn't they target the federal reserve? It's undoubtedly a much more important target, and I can't see much damage being done.

they are working on a host of different operations. not one or two...

down at the moment..
esupport.sony.com'

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Although there is no doubt that the story about Sony is true - this is not a warning from Anon. First of they pretty well don't warn, they act. Seccond, this message is so unlike any other message I have ever seen from Anon - "You saw a hornets nest and you stuck your penis in it" LOL That is so out of character forthem.

Fake!

anon are hitting them atm.. it is not fake, dont take my word for it go and look for yourself...

kx

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Okay, so I'm completely with Anon for the reasons that they are doing this. However, I was extremely peeved last night when I couldn't login to the PSN to play some Black Ops before bed. Bad form!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
You own the hardware not the software.

Sony is protecting their software, and nothing else.
GeoSnot is an idiot, and anyone protecting him is an idiot.

edit on 4-4-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

when you buy a mobile phone or a car you own the hardware and the software, why is this any different...
If i buy a pc and want to wipe the software it is my choice...

kx!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Originally posted by Shamatt

Fake!

anon are hitting them atm.. it is not fake, dont take my word for it go and look for yourself...

kx

None of the web sites Ihave looked at tonight seem to have been effected.ps3 europe and the us sites are up, as are the sony sites....?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join