It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the Terminally Ill Have a Right to Die?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I had to experience watching my sister in-law die a horrible death. She knew she was dying and asked to have everything possible to keep her alive. Her family believed that people dying should be kept alive at any cost because God would decide when to take them. Before knowing she had cancer, I had many conversations about this with my in-laws and felt they were totally wrong. They thought Dr. Jack Kevorkian helping with assisted suicide was criminal. We also argued about the Terry Schiavo case and the right to die battle.

My sister in-law and I were very close, and I had a hard time watching her suffer for 6 pain staking months with ovarian cancer. She was bed ridden, chronically taking pain pills to relieve the pain. Her family had to watch as she was hooked up to a dialysis machine, tubes draining her lungs, she had a tracheotomy and had a machine that helped her breath. She had monitors hooked up to check her pulse and heart rate 24/7. She retained so much fluid, her feet blew up like balloons. She was hooked up to a feeding tube for 5 months and couldn't eat. She could only suck on a small wet sponge on a stick to keep her mouth from getting dry. A couple of her teeth fell out. On my visits I wouldn't want her husband to wake her if she was sleeping because I knew if she woke up she would be in pain. Her family never left her side for the entire 6 months of torment. All we could do is rub her arms and hope she knew we were there. A couple of times she tried pulling herself out of her bed because she just wanted to go home. We couldn't do that because if the hospital removed all the tubes and monitors she would have died. Eventually the entire family hoped death would come soon because watching her suffer was just unbearable. She eventually passed in the middle of the night with all of us by her side. Her family now feels differently about the prospects of keeping loved ones alive. Going through that experience and watching their daughter and sister suffer like that changed their views overnight. We treat animals with more respect than we do our own human race. There's nothing wrong with having someone pass in peace rather than suffer there remaining days on earth. Peace.

I watched my mother-in law die the same horrible death she also had ovarian cancer she wanted to die at home and my father-in law let her.. She wasn't hooked up to anything 4 days before she died all she could do was lay in a fetal position and breath heavy she wouldn't eat and weighed all of about 70 pounds all together it took her about 7 months to die hospice came in each day and had her on morphine the last 4 days it was so sad to watch this beautiful loving person suffer like that i felt so helpless not being able to do anything for her and it about put my father-in law over the edge with grief..so yes i believe in letting people pass in peace when they wish..

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
Ok, when it comes to uthenasia, I believe every individual has a right to deside if they can die or not and in certain cases have a medical proffessional take the decision. If I were in a vegetative state I hope that someone has the guts to pull the plug. I had read a couple af years back that doctors had found that certain people could feel, hear and even see while in a vegetative state. It was just the signals that didn't make it through. I would be screeming to kill me everyday. If I get to a point that I can't take care of myself, like have someone change my diaper, feed me and stuff like that, I would like to have a legal way out. Let me kill myself or have a doc stick me with a lethal cocktale. We have more mercy towards animals than we do towards ourselves in the name of budgets and medical eticate...gimme a break. If I were to become a leech onto society were I would be more of a burdon than what I contribute...shoot me now.

we do have more mercy towards animals than we do towards ourselves i agree.. thanks for your reply

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
I didn't need permission to attend this silly party, I'll be damned if I'm gonna get permission to leave!

lol thats a good one!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jc2012
YES. If they feel they have endured, physically, or Mentally, beyond what
they can take, then yes, they should be given assistance to end their natural life, if they feel or perceive that life
is no longer bearable.Of course if the cure, or solution to their anguish is simple, ie an answer, or therapy, or treatment, then surely it would be the primary course of action in the western world?

if the cure, or solution to their anguish is simple, ie an answer, or therapy, or treatment, then surely it would be the primary course of action in the western world..I agree with that why die if you can live a full life with therapy or treatment but sadly many don't have the money or good insurance for even that ..

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I believe euthanasia to be a human right.

www.exitinternational.net...

Blessings!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shroudnews77
Have just been through it last year mum and dad died. Feb 2010 dad and mum May 2010. Dad had mesothelioma compression on heart desease caused by asbestosis and mum had glioblastoma brain cancer. This topic is difficult as memories rush back. In November 2008 when mum was diagnosed my wife and I moved in to care for both mum and dad. Dad was ok at that point. Over the next 18 months mum deteriorated and slowly lost all functions. Dad would assist me in caring, he was 84 mum was 75. We used a crane to move mum up and down to feed sit in chair toilet etc. I became her life and body. In December 2009 dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma, asbestosis was diagnosed 7 years prior but did not affect him. Dad died at home except for last 5 hours in a hospital. He stopped moving 1 week before his death at home. The scene of seeing mum and dad bedridden and dieing and awakening to their groans to administer pain killers is burnt in my mind and soul forever. The last week I asked God to take them as my grief was unbearable. They never asked me to kill them. Mum was on a stomach pump morthine system and dad was on pills. The system worked brilliantly. Though in some pain dad was moving up until the last week. He had breakfast the day we transferred him to hospital. The nurses should have set him up also with stomach pump medication but they didnt. I missed him last 5 hours as I had to rush home to put mum back in bed with crane. He died without family by his side last 5 hours. They said they gave him 4 mg of morphine and other drugs to ease pain and he died in his sleep.
Mum at last week was communicating with fingers and eyelid movement. We told her we loved her my bro and our wives grandkids and her family. I administered water and food products through a large needle up to 1 day before her death. It wasnt forced as she was sucking it. Do not believe in dehydration death this is cruel mum proved to me she wanted to die with a few drops of water in mouth. Her morphine stomach system worked well. On awakening after it wore off we had a window to talk in signs and she accepted water. She died peacefully in her sleep and I am still grieving even after 1 year. I do not blame God as maybe losing them both so close together was meant to be as dad would have died of a broken heart. Hope this answers some questions
edit on 3-4-2011 by shroudnews77 because: grammar additional iimformation

edit on 3-4-2011 by shroudnews77 because: spelling again sorry

shroudnews77 I'm so sorry about your mom and dad passing it had to be very hard on you and helping your mom and dad was a wonderful thing to do as a son..you did everything humanly possible for both of them and did it with love ..I don't know what else to say your post is heartbreaking but you did prove to me dehydration death is not the way to go thank you..

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OverMan
Although I understand the thoughts being expressed here, not addressing and asserting our right to die gives them all they need to assume that we do not want or need that right so it is not hard to extrapolate this and soon we may have goons making sure that we are living healthy, exercising, eating "right" etc etc.

A right is like a muscle, flex that mother F'er or lose the ability to do so.

FREE KEVORKIAN!!! they.... they did free him already? oh sorry

FREE MUMIA!!! FREE YOURSELF!!!

Thank you for your reply...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
If I may make a suggestion.

We're all terminal.

And the dying part has nothing to do with rights.

It's a certainty.

We start dieing the day were born...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

As a nurse, I frequently work with death and dying patients. What you are describing is called COMFORT CARE. Often the patient is either sent home with a prescription or while in the hospital is placed on a IV PCA Pump with morphine or other medications to help *EASE PAIN and SUFFERING* But in reality it is a *TYPE* of euthanasia because it always results in death.

There are so many loop holes for the doctors to allow it so that it does not appear as true euthanasia. Usually if the patient is of sound mind, they can sign a DNR form for a Do Not Resuscitate order prior to prescription administration. If the patient has dementia for example, another family member who is the legal guardian can request the comfort care. Its all about letting the patient die without pain and suffering yes, but the meds actually cause the respirations to become less and less while keeping patient either asleep and unaware or asleep and unaware......

Howver I have seen so many times patients waking up for a few minutes when a family member has not been present arrives for a final goodbye.....It always brings tears to my eyes.....

Starwise thank you for your post it was very informative

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
6 years ago my dad died of lung cancer. When he was first diagnosed, it was too late, they said he only had about 8 - 12 months to live. With chemo and radiation he lasted 8 months. Up until the last 2 months he did pretty good, he lost his hair and felt a bit weak and nauseated from all the chemo, but otherwise ok. The last 2 was the nightmare. My dad was 6" 1' and about 220 lbs. In that time he went down to less than 100 lbs and became so weak we had to carry him to the bathroom and anywhere else he went. Cancer EATS your body. He was in so much pain the drugs they gave him knocked him out but he would still moan from the pain, even while asleep. At the last he could not even swallow to ease his dry throat. The doctors only offered more drugs and radiation to extend his time. It should be legal in every state and all over the world to end your life when it is no longer a life worth living.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

Why give up, keep fighting!

I haven't given up I'm a fighter.. been fighting for years i hope to live a few more years if i can i love life and everything about it

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir

Ummmm.........All religion aside, the question should instead be, who does your life belong to?.......I'm of the opinion, that your life belongs solely, to you. Granted, there are some that might lay claim to your life, spouse/partner, children, the state, however, ultimately your life is your own. No one, can task you with living, or assign an arbitrary time-span for you. If life is too unbearable or boring then the decision to leave it is yours alone.
The most that can be said is that such a decision might be selfish and lack consideration for others that cling to you, out of emotion.
I cannot attribute goodness or badness to such a decision, nor can I disparage another, for making a decision that is purely appropriate to them and them alone.

YouSir

My life belongs solely to me I'm married and my husband understands this ..he also agrees with any decision i make he doesn't believe its selfish but yes it makes him very sad as it would anyone...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08

I always thought it strange that your family can decide if its time for you to die IE Pulling the life support. But we as individuals can't make the decision ourselves. What if your family get's lots of money If you die. Or they simply don't like you. It's really stupid. Like suicide is illegal.lol WTF? Do we really need that law? We're going to punish someone if they try to kill themselves and screw it up

You have some good points and im sure its happned in some cases.. thats why people need to make a liveing will..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by shroudnews77

this terrified and saddened me as i live with my grandpa who has alzheimers and parkinsons while my grandma lives in a home with her diabetes. it hurts to see them like this as not even 10 years ago they were so full of life, togther and happy. I fight it with every fibre of my being and remember the good times and the things they taught me but I can't get over the fact that one day I will wake up and my grandpa won't be there to say good morning.
just typing this it's like I can feel like it's that day already, you know?
in the not too distant future I will be completly alone.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Unless your a vegetable any patient has the ability to end their life cleanly. Why do they need others to do it for them? Fear or too gutless?

The strongest people I have seen are those who battle until death takes them naturally, whilst they were suffering they didn't say, thougt more of adding to others before they died and left something other than a defeated life.

To be fair, not many are that strong to be able to do that.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

i think its kinda like catch 22.

you are born free and Independent

you are in control of yourself at all times.
have the ability to do anything u really want to.
including killing yourself. alot do.

however when you are unable. you are at the mercy of others.
now

haha either way "your a yo yo" token suffering for some "benefit" out there. i guarantee it.

emotional anyone?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

IMO Anyone that wants to die at any point should have the right. Refusing someone this right to me just causes more problems than it's worth. If someone wants to die they are in some form of pain that is so bad they can no longer take it - let them go, it is often the selfishness of the living that keeps them here.

No point in them:
Using up earths resources
Potentially costing the taxpayer
Potentially being a medicated zombie
Taking others with them in a moment of emotion.
Making it unpleasent for other (clean up crew etc)
and Living a life of pain

Edit to add: We claim we are a free society but in a truely free system of Law there is always supposed to be a prosecutor and a defense. Crimes agaist ones self are not a crime in a free system because you are free to do as you please - if that means drugs, sex, self harm, suicde so be it, it is your personal choice and your right, but when your right infringes on anothers right it becomes a crime. Too bad our system locks people up for these crimes, costing the tax payer huge amounts of money to support these "criminals" living behind bars, when some of them were only hurting themselves.
edit on 3-4-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

This was a very interisting post thank you

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
To those who consider suicide selfish, I ask...

Is it not selfish to keep a person in this world who does not wish to remain in this world, life goes on regardless and the only reason you don't want them to leave is the pain you're worried of suffering yourself from the loss, which is selfish in itself.

To those who consider suicide an illness...

While it may be true in some cases that the person is mentally ill, if they can function just fine and talk coherently and intelligently maybe they are just sick of the world we live in and not sick within themselves is not a logical choice to allow them to die on their own terms ? If you don't like certain foods you don't eat them, if you don't like life you should have the choice to either change it or end it.

To those who consider suicide wrong on religious idealism...

If the person does not subscribe to your religious beliefs then leave them the hell alone and let them live their life free as they want to, as long as they aren't harming anyone in their suicide (emotional pain does not count see above) then they should have that choice and don't forget this is what free will is all about, making concious decisions in life!

I personally believe everyone should the right to choose their end, we have no choice in being born but we should be able to choose when we die!

I really liked your post you showed diffrent sides on this topic.. thank you

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Yes it should be a basic human right

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne

I believe euthanasia to be a human right.

www.exitinternational.net...

Blessings!

Thank you for the link it was a good read..one day the USA might consider this option i hope ..

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join