Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Do the Terminally Ill Have a Right to Die?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
this reminds me of a dutch documentary they showed on tv a couple of weeks ago.
It was about a young man who had cancer since age 17, I think he was 21 when he died from cancer. The journalist followed him in his last year.
He still lived at home with his parents and brother. He knew the last weeks of his life where going to be very painfull, but he also knew that his family wasn't ready to let him go. In stead of choosing death, he chose for sleep. A doctor assisted him in the whole process.

At his own home, he was put to sleep in his own bed. Each day the doctor would come by to give him more drugs that would keep him asleep and free from the pain. The boy specifically asked that he didn't want to wake up anymore and this would be continued untill his body desided it wanted to die. The family sat by his bed every day to watch him sleep peacefully and had a chance to come to terms with it all and say their goodbuys, untill eventuelly, he died.

I think his idea for choosing sleep was a good choice I'm sure that let the family see he wasn't in pain in his last days just in deep slumber till he passed and that would help the family come to terms with his leaving..thanks for posting this..

The boy himself was against euthenasia so he came up with the above because he didn't want to live on in so much pain either.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
I can get dismissed from medical school for what I am about to post. In fact, this subject is almost nonexistant and certainly not condoned in med school. It is quietly accepted that no doctor will do such things. We are to learn, practice, graduate, go out into the world to improve the quality of life, curtail pandemics, heal the wounded and soothe the troubled mind.

Primum non Nocere, probably the most emphasized idea in medicine. First do no harm. That is a given, a physician with their accumulated knowledge has the power to prolong, enhance, improve, debilitate, complicate and terminate life. And with such potent knowledge, it must be ensured that those who possess it must use it for the benefit of his fellow man. A noble and extraordinary position.

But we tend to forget the "improve the quality of life" part. We tend to be so blinded by the sanctimonious nobility of saving lives, that we set aside those who suffer unimaginable agony that cannot be helped. We have no answer for them, other than making them comfortable. But what if that isn't enough? Isn't it also our duty to extend compassion and empathy?

If all else fails, and there is absolutely no hope, I would rather a man go peacefully with dignity and respect. But that decision is certainly not mine to make. If the patient decides that he/she cannot bear the pain and wishes to no longer extend their agony, they have every right to make that decision. To deny them that, is no different from denying treatment to a curable patient who is capable of living a beautiful life.

edit on 4-4-2011 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

DrChuck thank you for comeing forward with what you had to say..I wish more Dr's would think that way going peacefully with dignity and respect that's all most of us ask for we don't want to pass suffering and in pain..I wish more Dr's would listen and put themselves in our place..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
Everyone is focussing on physical pain. What if you were diagnosed with dementia? It's not all happy clappy la la land. Some sufferers suffer major personality changes and distress. Not to mention the terrible strain on the family. At the moment it is all downhill from the diagnosis. Drugs may be able to stave it off for a while but currently there is no STOP or REVERSE medication. I would not want to live like this and it is my choice.
I think you should be able to make a living will in the event of your getting a terminal illness. That would be properly witnessed and also re-assessed on an annual basis.

You can make a living will i have one..dementia i agree isn't one id want to live with but i bet sometime in the future they will come up with something to stop dementia before it gets to a horrible point of personality changes but I'm sure that's many years from now..thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by arcanewings
reply to post by sugarcookie1

May I project a sense of gratitude and admiration for your posts. It warms my heart to see an individual taking time to read peoples post, regardless of length and responding with insight. I felt the need to let you know and acknowledge your contribution to this thread. So thank you.

In addition, I would like to state that we are all "terminal". All of our bodies have an expiration date, regardless of medical advancements. Your life regardless of how you view it, is yours.

From an openly spiritual perspective, life is more than flesh and bone, and the doors of imagination, and possibilities beyond this physical world out weigh all the fear and anxiety that can be fathom surrounding the death of the vessels; that are our bodies. Whatever may lie beyond this, if anything. We should be able to chose when to step through that door above all things.

arcanewings, I read every post sometimes twice i think its wonderful that people have taken the time to post to me..Some of whats been posted has brought me to tears and Ive had to leave the computer to pull myself together its painful to see what families go through but it makes my point stronger to myself that the terminal have right to pass as we wish ..I don't know what lies beyond this life I'm hopeing there is a beach with white sand and i can run like the wind and let my hair blow in the breeze and see my friends that have passed from this same disease i have and watched suffer..I'm not scared to step through that door i was when i was younger but not anymore

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by toochaos4u
They should. It is not our place or the Government's place to judge the quality of life of another. If you don't walk in that person's shoes you cannot see what they are going through.

Even my perspective on the mentally ill has changed after I met a woman that went through 15 years of

psychiatric care,
medication change,
released to the custody of another adult,
find new residence,
sickness from medication,
medication becomes ineffective,
breakdown.....start over.

She was emotionally exhausted and told me soon she would end this cycle. Which she in did last spring.

Thank you for posting..I think that's what happens to alot of people they just get emotionally exhausted

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by colloredbrothers
My dog was very ill and I told the vet to end it, he wanted me to change my mind but I knew how much pain she had. I told him that I'm doing this for her not for me.

He was in it for the money, I simply wanted her pain to end.

If we are able to take that descision clear headedly about a dog why not a human? Why are people so afraid of death? It's almost not normal. Sure a human life has worth but living in itself has no worth it is how you live your life and how you feel. If someone is dead in his mind why torture him by keeping him alive for your own skewed delusion of life?

The people that arn't permitted to die are living because of our fear of death, and they suffer tremendously for the flaws of our society. No goverment should take away the right to live or die. It is an individual choice, we were all born on this earth free. We made institutions that binded us together under common princpiles which we adhear to, but this institution of the people has become the leader of the people and is going against majority's in some of it's laws and regulations. People have forgotten that they are free, free to live and free to die.

Thank you so much for your reply

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
in one very, very simple reply
\
all men have a choice, women included

those under 18 aT DISCRETION

Thank you guessing

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

It's their life, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it. I know for certain that if I ever become paralysed (or worse) I am booking a flight to Switzerland straight away.

Thank you for your reply

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees

We believe ourselves to be in free possession of our own lives. "Euthenasia" would legally solve the problem opened when a man cannot kill himself.

I think it's absolutely necessary to Euthenasia to be legal. While it's not (altough it may sound quite a paradox) we wont be in full possession of our own lives.

I agree and thanks for posting

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
People should have the right to choose. Life is unbearable when you are terminally ill at times (I know as I am) and I am grateful that I live in a country where the right to choose is an option which I have taken. I will choose my moment when I no longer have good days but only pain. No body knows how long that will be and it makes life so strange but definitely precious. Life is precious and we should therefore give people that KNOW that this is a fact the power to choose.

Life is definitely precious every min of it.. and that's when i want the option when i no longer have good days but only pain..thank you for posting

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
mom told me to get her euthanized if she ever gets hemiparesis (runs in the family(.

Thank you for your post

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
this brought up something, I was told through the elders (cherokee) when you get too old, to be of benefit.
If food was scarce, or death was near. when the indians moved on to better grounds they would
leave those to weak\sick\elderly to make the trip. instead of placing hardship on the whole community. now thats from the early 1800's. and its sort of like small business in America. if you own a business, you must provide - there is no safety net. Will the government give you a helping hand ? or the final nail in your coffin.?

However, we are not dealing with immenant threat of death, and our Chief - appears to moving without council.
and is leaving most of the nation behind to die.... interesting... your thoughts please.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISRAELdid911
this brought up something, I was told through the elders (cherokee) when you get too old, to be of benefit.
If food was scarce, or death was near. when the indians moved on to better grounds they would
leave those to weak\sick\elderly to make the trip. instead of placing hardship on the whole community. now thats from the early 1800's. and its sort of like small business in America. if you own a business, you must provide - there is no safety net. Will the government give you a helping hand ? or the final nail in your coffin.?

However, we are not dealing with immenant threat of death, and our Chief - appears to moving without council.
and is leaving most of the nation behind to die.... interesting... your thoughts please.

I truthfully don't know how to answer your post i hope someone comes along that can

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

It's cool, I wasn't implying your a quitter =)

No i understood what you were saying

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Just as a person dies from natural causes, it is expected. It is considered Natural. Humans are natural animals upon this earth, therefore any decisions the human mind makes is totally natural. A Human decides to die and implements it? Only natural flow of life on earth I say.

There seems to be a barrier of humans and the rest of life when it comes to earthly life. There actually is no barrier at all. We are part of the food chain like every other animal.

Do the terminally ill have a right to die? Yes they do, why not. It is their own human brain that is making the decision, and to deny that would be denying humanity.

If this was too deep , I apologize.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
oh the part about small business is 2/3rds of the economy - yet the economy is going up without small business.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Just as a person dies from natural causes, it is expected. It is considered Natural. Humans are natural animals upon this earth, therefore any decisions the human mind makes is totally natural. A Human decides to die and implements it? Only natural flow of life on earth I say.

There seems to be a barrier of humans and the rest of life when it comes to earthly life. There actually is no barrier at all. We are part of the food chain like every other animal.

Do the terminally ill have a right to die? Yes they do, why not. It is their own human brain that is making the decision, and to deny that would be denying humanity.

If this was too deep , I apologize.

Thank for explaining that post i was a bit lost

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISRAELdid911
oh the part about small business is 2/3rds of the economy - yet the economy is going up without small business.

Thanks i got ya now

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by matrix99
Everyone already has the so-called right to die. If you want to end it, overdose on pills or get a gun or something. Why do some people feel this issue has to be codified into law? It seems like too many special interest groups not only want to be able to do whatever their pet activity is, they also want to force others to nod in approval of said activities. If you want to kill yourself, that's your problem. You won't get my imprimatur though.

codified into law makes it legal to do so is why

As I stated before, it's legal to kill oneself. You don't need my approval, nor will you get it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by matrix99

never asked for your approval,I ask for opinions

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join