It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ALERT***3-5 Years before Japan Thinks They Can Cool Down The Rods

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There is no excuse in my mind for no attempt being made at some sort of secondary containment. Any of the radioactive particles that could be collected there at the source would be a step in the right direction. Clean up and containment needs to be given at least as much priority as cooling and regardless of how long it will take must be started as soon as possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Is there any possible way to collect the fuel rods (melted and otherwise) and just shoot them off into space? It seems to me the longer they remain on their current path and location, the more likely they are to do ever increasing damage to a great number of people and to the surrounding environment ...Get it out of here. Send it into the sun where it can't hurt anybody! I believe that's what Superman did with the world's nukes in "Quest for Peace" ...

Art into life.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I love the recommendations to drop a couple of nuclear weapons on the 6 reactors thinking that will effectively eliminate the radiation! That has to be one of the BEST suggestions I've ever heard! Wonder if these people think pouring gasoline on a fire will put it out also!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jubilation T Cornpone
Is there any possible way to collect the fuel rods (melted and otherwise) and just shoot them off into space? It seems to me the longer they remain on their current path and location, the more likely they are to do ever increasing damage to a great number of people and to the surrounding environment ...Get it out of here. Send it into the sun where it can't hurt anybody! I believe that's what Superman did with the world's nukes in "Quest for Peace" ...

Art into life.

There has been talk of doing that with nuclear waste. The problem is what if the rocket fails and explodes in the atmosphere?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
To all who wonder why they don't just bury the thing, I was wondering the same thing until I did some research.

Fact is, they can't bury it, this is not the same as Chernobyl.

Pouring concrete on a critical reactor makes no sense – it will simply explode and release more radioactive particulate matter. The concrete will melt and the problem will get worse. Chernobyl was different – a critical reactor exploded and stopped the reaction. At Fukushima, the reactor cores are still melting down. The ONLY way to stop that is to detonate a ~10 kiloton fission device inside each reactor containment vessel and hope to vaporize the cores. That’s probably a bad solution.

A nuclear meltdown is a self-sustaining reaction. Nothing can stop it except stopping the reaction. And that would require a nuclear weapon. In fact, it would require one in each containment vessel to merely stop what is going on now. But it will be messy

hawaiinewsdaily.com...

Doesn't look like there is any easy way to stop this

edit on Wed Mar 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

It's actually not the most absurd idea. Although you would not want to use a nuclear weapon but another calculated for specific purpose of separating the rods and getting them exposed in such a way that they can be entombed in Boron and concrete. If there is still a way to get under them a tungsten floor I imagine would be able to sustain the heat and prevent the meltdown from going into the water table/storage (See steam explosion)

Without proper data on what is happening though we simply can not come up with solutions to this problem leaving us at the mercy of Tepco and the Japanese Government.

There are people far more intelligent around the globe that could better deal with such a problem, but, if they are not given the information required we are left with people under emotional duress to solve the problem.
edit on 30-3-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jubilation T Cornpone

Art into life.

Sure, if you can find people crazy enough to "collect" them. That's a suicide mission, kind of like those poor workers that are at the plant now.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
obviously when you build a nuclear reactor on a major earthquake fault line, you do not have any plans whatsoever in the event of a meltdown due to damage from an earthquake. the smartest minds came up with the tech, how to build them, and how to run them, but not one of them had the intelligence to even come up with an effective procedure to tackle a meltdown event.

if 3-5 years is true i can see that this will cover the whole northern hemisphere, then slowly start to condence into more and more lethal levels as time goes by.

yet no effective plan. to limit the damage or put a stop to it.

sorry i cannot believe the great minds of today cannot think up something that would work, it seems to me to be more and more a case of depopulation with every story i hear.

if it is not then it is a the very least exposure of the fact that humans are dumb to build stuff all over the planet they have no idea how to control when it goes wrong!
edit on 30-3-2011 by lifeform11 because: errors

Ding ding ding! We have a winnar.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I feel very angry that they didn't entomb this site two weeks ago. I realize it needs to be cooled on some level first. The Soviets dropped a bunch of lead on Chernobyl which cooled it off super fast, but it unfortunately sent a huge plume of leaden radiation into the stratosphere as well. I just think they should have been entombing the Fukushima Dai-ichi site a long time ago. It's disgusting to me that they dink around with water guns, turn away international aid, and lie. What are they hiding?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Is this their sick payback for Hiroshima and Nagasaki or something? We need to start pouring concrete now, and while we are over there we can arrest those morons for war crimes against humanity...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SalemsLot

At Fukushima, the reactor cores are still melting down. The ONLY way to stop that is to detonate a ~10 kiloton fission device inside each reactor containment vessel and hope to vaporize the cores. That’s probably a bad solution.

Wonder what vaporizing, and thereby releasing it into the environment, the 90 tons of radioactive fuel in reactor 3 would do?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

At Fukushima, the reactor cores are still melting down. The ONLY way to stop that is to detonate a ~10 kiloton fission device inside each reactor containment vessel and hope to vaporize the cores. That’s probably a bad solution.

Wonder what vaporizing, and thereby releasing it into the environment, the 90 tons of radioactive fuel in reactor 3 would do?

I think that's why he says it's "...probably a bad solution"

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I can see why! Wonder how big and radioactive the cloud would be from that?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

I can see why! Wonder how big and radioactive the cloud would be from that?

I assume that choosing between bombing it or leaving it would be like choosing the lesser of the evils... how depressing

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is bad, this is real bad..., hasnt even been a year since it crossed my mind that the worlds oceans would be completly contaminated by years end from the BP gusher and now this comes along and beats it by a mile in terms of polution, is it just me or are we ever so rapidly getting ourselves into non reversible world threatening problems?
I think the japanese should dome the thing and just keep cooling it as they are but suck all the vapor into watertight containers and shove it under some mountain or whatever, the vapor must stop NOW

edit on 3-4-2011 by SL55T0T0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bronco51082
Where is Obama? Nato? The UN? The EU? IAEA? When is the global community going to get its wake-up call that they MUST step in and do more than they have? What are they waiting for?

This is how they are going to get rid of a whole sht pot full, of useless fricken eaters. What do you people think this is all about ? They have everything they need including people who will sacrifice their own lives. Yet it rages on. They know how to clean up radiation. They are just going to let it wipe out a crap load of people first.
Wake TF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUp !.
edit on 3-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Here let me be the first to say it.

WE'RE DEAD1

Is that plain enough for everyone. Dead. Dead dead dead dead dead .
edit on 3-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
can't they pour a polymer-type lacquer, shellac or resin whatever you want to call it that is NOT water-soluble that could continuously coat the walls of the pipes/tunnels and eventually seal it?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
reply to post by Bronco51082

We should be thinking years.
For what? What is the point? Their plan is to wait until all the radioactive material naturally decays? And in the mean time they think they can continue to spray some freaking water on it? ARE THEY ON CRACK?

God damn it...

It's shocking to see, how helpless this is handled, one would expect better. At least it might lead to others in charge to shift up a gear in getting over with the age of nuclear energy, as here in Germany

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
so they just intend to pump water onto radioactive fuel for 3 to 5 years?
And what happens to that water once it has been massively radiated?
It will end up in the sea or in the atmosphere!

This has to be the worst "plan" yet.
have you noticed the media have just about stopped talking about Japan too?
how convenient lets all act like its over. out of sight out of mind. it sucks.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
With such high risk associated with nuclear technology, why were nuclear power plants such as Fukishima allowed to be built if there wasn't the necessary equipment and procedures in place to remedy disasters such as this? There should have been some sort of requirement that disasters can be effectively and efficiently resolved before they are put in action. The same to go with the Oil spill really, why were they allowed to dig in the first place if they didn't have the means to fix it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join