It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation from Japan 'not harmful': B.C. scientist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Radiation from Japan

ca.news.yahoo.com

A research team at Simon Fraser University has detected an increase in a radioactive isotope they say reached British Columbia from the damaged nuclear station in Japan.

SFU nuclear scientist Kris Starosta said he's confident the beleaguered Fukushima Daiichi station, which was struck by a devastating tsunami following a magnitude 9.0 earthquake on March 11, is responsible for the increase in iodine-131 in rain and seawater samples detected in their studies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:25:31 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
First I have heard of radiation hitting Canada, though it is supposedly not harmful enough to panic, at least not yet. Really does not make me feel any safer to be honest. If it were dangerous they probably wouldn't tell us anyway. The old we are too dumb and will stampede each other to death routine. I don't really know what to think anymore.

ca.news.yahoo.com

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I believe News1130 posted a quick blurb on their website today that they were beginning to detect radiation. I knew it was coming.

OP, do you know of any radiation monitoring websites for Canada? So far I have been fruitless in my own search.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Not yet...
No yet.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
i thought i would never say this.

should we be taking iodine pills?

should we be closing our windows and avoiding outdoor activities?

does it matter what you do? will the rads will still get in your home?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

I wish, I couldn't find any either... I am hoping that it don't reach me on the east coast....

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

I don't know, I must confess, I removed my gas mask from my BOB and hung it on my bed post like some silly radiation warding charm...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
According to this article only four times more than whats here now is getting harmful...This is easily reached if the plants continue to meltdown and the fuel rods burn away uncontained.There are thousands of tons of uranium fuel rods at this facility that are in danger or already melting down.
The potential for contaminating the nprth pacific ocean is stored at Fujishimas plant.
We are not out of the woods yet...This is getting scarey.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Starosta predicts iodine-131 will be detected in B.C. three to four weeks after the Fukushima nuclear reactor stops releasing radioactivity into the atmosphere.

According to this it will be at least three weeks after it stops spewing radiation that we can feel safe the worst is over. I bet that estimate is optimistic too, I would say 6 weeks after.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Not harmful at all....

Oh, and the level just hit 105 in Denver CO!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

That don't seem to be the best news I have heard all day. On another note for canadians, did you hear we signed a contract for 65 new war planes? 100-110 million each, alltogether a 9 billion dollar bill estimate... Looks like we are trying to blow our budget on the war machine before doomsday hits or something

edit on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:00:32 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Radioactive Iodine-131 in rainwater sample near San Francisco 18,100% above federal drinking water standard

enenews.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Not harmful at all....

is the alert level still set at 100? or has that been raised too.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by infojunkie2

Originally posted by YourPopRock
Not harmful at all....

is the alert level still set at 100? or has that been raised too.

I don't know, got to try and find some independent person keeping tabs on this or go and find some equipment and get educated on how to use measuring equip, and learn about readings.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaii50th

Crazy stuff, this is the first time I ever thought it might be a good idea to buy one. I probably would have ordered one by now if I had the money for it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
My mom and I were talking about the radiation today and she usually tends to avoid disaster news (she suffers from an anxiety disorder) she couldn't help but hear and pass on that apparently they are beginning to find traces of radiation in milk in Seattle.

I have yet to find a good monitoring site for Canada/BC. I find this especially alarming seeing how they set up 8 extra monitoring systems and I haven't heard any reports yet.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

If I find a site I think is credible, I will send you a U2U. Still came up with nothing so far. I guess canada seems to be not as worried about radiation as the US, plenty of sites for them

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I guess canada seems to be not as worried about radiation as the US, plenty of sites for them

After six long months of bitter cold and snow, Canucks welcome any heat they can get - even if it's from a little radiation.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Radiation from Japan

ca.news.yahoo.com

A research team at Simon Fraser University has detected an increase in a radioactive isotope they say reached British Columbia from the damaged nuclear station in Japan.

SFU nuclear scientist Kris Starosta said he's confident the beleaguered Fukushima Daiichi station, which was struck by a devastating tsunami following a magnitude 9.0 earthquake on March 11, is responsible for the increase in iodine-131 in rain and seawater samples detected in their studies.

edit on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:25:31 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

It is my belief that the Fallout Projection are way underestimated. I have attached a link so you can monitor not just radiation but more importantly the other crap that is being rained on us. Check out Cesium and zenon or however you spell it. my advice is to get a Reverse Osmosis water filter to remove any of the particles from the tap water and stay out of the rain and wind as the clouds pass over your area. I have my home AC shut off until the reactors are shut down and capped and the fallout gets extremely diluted. Also Hepa filters remove radiation from the air but are very costly because you will need a whole house system that IQ air makes. Also when your in your car traveling make sure you turn off your ac or but the air on recycle.

Link for forecast models. LINK

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

Thank you for the link. That definitely shows that Canada is being affected with fallout.

As for not going out in the rain... on the West Coast that is unfortunately impossible.

Someone should patent radiation-shield umbrellas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join