It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casting Call: Survival documentary turns to ATS for experts...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I would definitely steal your bublegum if TSHTF!! Maybe the paperclip too for good measure!

edit on Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:42:58 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Real life survival situations tend to push folks to one extreme or the other. it brings out the best in some, and the worst in others. You're right, man IS a social animal, but that cuts both ways. Some communities or groups tend to help each other in a positive way, others only cooperate in order to have the strength in numbers to prey on the rest.

I've always preached against becoming a refugee, because refugees historically and observationally are at the mercy of whatever comes down the pike. The difference between "refugee" and "nomad" is lost on some. It's more than just a turn of phrase - it's actually rooted in the mindset. Refugees are often victims. lost souls who haven't a clue, and hope for a rescue by external means. Nomads in contrast are just as mobile, just as "unrooted" as refugees are, but the difference is that they have come to terms with that, and choose to make their own breaks on the move, rather than hope in the kindness of others. In both cases, what one can carry or scrounge in the instant is all they have.

In both cases, groups form. In the case of refugees, the groups are often larger, and that very size limits their ability to use the resources they have available - that's why they rely on external help. They also tend to draw predators. In the case of nomads, group size is generally smaller, and they tend towards better cooperation, because survival of both the individual and the group depends on their own resourcefulness, rather than external aid. The size of the group is limited by resources available to it. That also tends to improve mobility and make them harder to find. Sometimes larger "nomadic" groups form, but they inevitably rely on predation to survive, so they need larger numbers to overcome opposition. This has happened several times in Africa - predatory nomads preying on more static refugees.

Lone Wolf survivors are rare birds indeed. They have to have a hermit's mindset, and be possessed of extraordinary resourcefulness, because they are all they have. In such situations, devoid of the security of even a small group, most human minds will break. You hear a lot about those type, in a romantic sense, but in the real world total solitude is a real bitch, and most just can't handle it without breaking - regardless of what they think beforehand.

I worry the most about those who plan on "forting up" in an urban setting. It can be done in the short term, with enough preparation, but as a long term survival strategy, it truly sucks. Some resources will be available when the preparations run out (or get captured), but there is a larger base of folks in the same boat to compete with. Resource centers also tend to draw predators, and urban areas qualify. Furthermore, most urbanites have come to rely on niceties, like the power company, the water works, and natural gas delivery. When that infrastructure breaks down, usually pretty early on, they find that their "preparations" weren't quite complete enough.

But they still have a pile of "stuff" to draw predators. Urbanites who think they can go undetected better think again. There's nothing quite as observant as a hungry predator, human or otherwise. It only takes one slightly off miscue to draw a lot of unwanted attention.

I do not envy them. The predatory group that blows through town on it's way to the next may be a good bit larger than the defending group, and pinned down as the defenders are in an urban setting (freedom of movement is highly restricted and channeled, choke points are everywhere, and that facilitates ambushes in a kill zone that's hard to get away from. Think about Beirut in the 80's) and being tied to their stash, it's not pretty when the two meet.

Groups, while made a necessity by the gregarious nature of humans, cut both ways.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I'm curious why so many people are paranoid about the idea of storage and preparation? Not 2 generations ago (true for most of our grandparents) self-sufficiency, food storage, personal/home safety, farming, hunting, fishing, etc. would have been normal, everyday, obvious stuff. When did it change, that those who live this way now, are considered paranoid, strange or dangerous? Granted, a few are, but I would argue that is not the majority.

This is now a time when the largest numbers of humans are living in urban centers, not rural. This is relatively new to human civilization and within a generation, many of the skills of the past, are being lost. I think one day, this may come back to bite us. The mega-city style cannot sustain the billions on the planet for long... something will tip that scale and people will suffer for having lost touch with basic skills.

edit on 30-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

You've answered your own question. More people have become urban, and - not realizing how dependent they are on an infrastrucure that could go kablooey with a snap of the fingers - they tend to look down on the more rural types as "bumpkins" and worse. I wonder WHO they think makes the food that's shipped to their cities?

Anyhow, folks dependent on that infrastructure find it odd that there are those around who eschew that convenience, and would actually go so far as to be able to get along without it. After all, how could their system ever fail them? it's always been there, and always will be in their minds... "preppers" are wierdos to them, people planning for a eventuality that they can't even conceive of.

edit on 2011/3/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I would definitely steal your bublegum if TSHTF!! Maybe the paperclip too for good measure!

edit on Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:42:58 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I come prepared - I can ALWAYS scrounge more bubblegum and paperclips, and have been known to make my own string in a pinch...

Not being able to find a decent bow (those "compound" thingies are crap for really getting along in the wilderness) I make my own, including the bowstring out of what I can scrounge -usually by stripping down nylon rope and re-laying stands of it into a bowstring. I've also used the polypropylene baling twine off of bales of straw for that purpose. I used to use the steel bands that lumber hacks are bundled in to make the arrowheads, but now that they've gone to plastic, I'll need to find another way... but I know that there IS a way, where there is the will!

My "preparations" lie in landfills all over the planet!

edit on 2011/3/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Gismo would be proud!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7eab6d36c74.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry offtopic a bit

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

SEE? It really, really works!

I wish I'd thought of the rubber band....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Aside from my first post, which clearly demonstrates my opinion of this show idea. I beg the question:

Why are they looking for ATS members for the show?

After all, 99% of ATS regulars believe there is some crazy doomsday type event on the near horizon. By the time the show airs it will be all over according to many here! I would think that the DIEHARD ATS Survival gurus would be much too busy getting the last of their preparations in place to have time for something like a trivial TV show?!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightCraft
Aside from my first post, which clearly demonstrates my opinion of this show idea. I beg the question:

After all, 99% of ATS regulars believe there is some crazy doomsday type event on the near horizon. By the time the show airs it will be all over according to many here! I would think that the DIEHARD ATS Survival gurus would be much too busy getting the last of their preparations in place to have time for something like a trivial TV show?!

I've scheduled a gap in my time from 11:10 to 11:13 Friday morning in case a question is asked that I can answer. Otherwise, it's back to digging that backyard bunker...

Bunker coordinates for the government sponsored cruise missiles are as follows:

36.310058 North, -79.889228 West

Call ahead to make sure I'm home - wouldn't want perfectly good missile to go to waste!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RealAmericanPatriot
Yes your comments on the Latter Day Saints are correct. Their motto is Peace Of Mind
They are the most prepared and have great prices too

Also with the gardening, just teaching people that you have to keep your potatoes away from your tomatoes could be life saving. How about teaching people the difference between heirloom open pollinators and Monsanto GMO Hybrid crap.....people need to relearn how to collect and store their own seeds!

How about basic farming and keeping chickens? A good chicken can lay 300 eggs a year on minimal feed.....of course I agree that you dont want to have all that if your not prepared to defend it!!! Were talking one shot one kill if necessary! .....just sayin....I also like the booze and cig theory

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

While I can't speak to any definitive measure or reason with regards their seeking out or contacting "ATS" ... I can only assume that 'we' are but one of Many venues of interest they may have reached out to in their search for 'qualified' sources of and for information.

After all, 99% of ATS regulars believe there is some crazy doomsday type event on the near horizon.

Dunno 'bout that ... the survival forum alone would seem to defy that assertion as mere individual opinion, especially since there's seems a literal wealth of quality information, questions, queries and concerns put forth and addressed throughout, in my opinion

By the time the show airs it will be all over according to many here!

Again, an apparently ill-perceived assumption and overall minor portion who likely aren't even the 'target audience or potential participants' they might possibly be looking for.

I would think that the DIEHARD ATS Survival gurus would be much too busy getting the last of their preparations in place to have time for something like a trivial TV show?!

Me,
't seems many folks are jumping to some rather rash and seemingly presumptuous, ill-informed or preconceived notions and assumptions here ... to the extreme, even.

... oddly and funnily enough, to no less a degree than those they claim or posit to be a bit over the top and 'alarmist' in nature all the while

Oh, the irony ... as near Always ... to funny ... yet sad, all at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[ETA]

What's so hard to comprehend about their likely having seen, noticed or been made aware of the Vast diversity, cumulative total of quality content, mentions, missives and/or contributions of or for folks seeking to prepare for Any type [quote, unquote] 'survival circumstance or situation'?

Anything from a mere extended power outage to that that likes of Katrina .... or, hopefully not, even Much worse - global.

Preparation does not a nutter make ... more likely those 'prepared' show up on the news as survivors who only sought to help others along the way.

Think about that, if you will.

edit on 3/30/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Actually this casting call went out over 2 months ago on craigslist in selected markets.

And as a producer myself; when it comes to casting, you avail yourself of any and all resources, no matter how goofy or trivial it seems. Leave it up to the APs/PAs to sort thru the material, looking for the right chemistry that can make the show competitive in the marketplace. Launching new shows is a science and very well researched.
When preparing to spend millions of other peoples money, they like to think you know what you are doing.

Little do they know....
edit on 30-3-2011 by whaaa because: iii

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Actually this casting call went out over 2 months ago on craigslist nation wide.

And as a producer myself; when it comes to casting, you avail yourself of any and all resources no matter how goofy or trivial it seems. Leave it up to APs to sort thru the material, looking for the right chemistry that can make the show competitive in the marketplace. Launching new shows is a science and very well researched.

Well, I can certainly understand that. It must be a bit difficult wading through the tough-talkers and whatnot.. What sort of shows do you produce?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

That was a brilliant retort, really.

You're a moderator here? I find it hard to believe that you could moderate a self-cleaning oven.

I've addressed the topic and forum several times throughout this thread from my perspective, thoughts and interests ... is there anything you'd like to add to the discussion, aside from near vacantly-veiled mockery, ridicule and the like?

[ETA]
... or am I missing something in the rather obvious attempt at whatever ...

edit on 3/30/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Well, I can certainly understand that. It must be a bit difficult wading through the tough-talkers and whatnot.. What sort of shows do you produce?

Tough talkers are rejected immediately as they tend to be arrogant and not team players. Producing a show; it is imperative that all concerned can work together; even in producing the pilot, a lot of money is being spent. When selecting talent, foremost is "the look" next is the ability to take direction from the director.
I produce music videos, documentaries showcasing cutting edge artists and comedy TV for our local market.
Eventually I hope to produce a feature length film. I've only been in the entertainment industry for 3 years starting as a background/extra.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ah the lone survivalist mentality is rampant as well as alive and well. As for my self, there are few things that I cannot fashion or fabricate as a functional item provided I have the tools, materials and time to do so. So it is safe to say that I can get by on little in the way of equipment and the few traps that I know how to build out materials that can be found out in the deep woods or wide open fields.

That said, in a long term situation attitude and the ability to work with others is what is going to be a vital part of making it through it all. I may or may not hide well enough from roving patrols of the wretched and starving that make their way in the new world by killing and looting the dead. But one thing is certain, the flu or other debilitating illness that has me laid up for a week in the already weakened state of no longer having the option of 3000 calories per day and eating the same old foods for months on end lacking in some regular varied nutritional element is going to have me depending on someone else if but for nothing else but boiling some water for replentishing fluids that have been sweated out from fever despite freezing temperatures.

Attitude and fellowship will be a very valued commodity. Seems some had best stock up on it while times are still good and practice that skill until they have it down cold.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Your post reminded me that one has to consider that it's not only roving gangs of predatory types that need to be considered.

What about the nuns from the orphanage 10 miles away that you never knew existed that just show up one day early on, on foot and in dire need, 30 or so orphans in tow? Do you take them in and split your stash with them, thereby weakening your own physical position, or do you send them on their way, by force if necessary (hey, some of those nuns are TOUGH!), thereby weakening your own moral position?

What does one do with the droves of the weak and helpless who desperately need help after the fact, the "refugees"?

My own solution might involve medical quarantine signs posted on the approaches, to discourage the approach at all. Other folks mileage may vary, but it's something they need to consider. Everyone has 20/20 hndsight. The trick is to develop the foresight.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
What about the nuns from the orphanage 10 miles away that you never knew existed that just show up one day early on, on foot and in dire need, 30 or so orphans in tow? Do you take them in and split your stash with them, thereby weakening your own physical position, or do you send them on their way, by force if necessary (hey, some of those nuns are TOUGH!)

Damn straight they are, I'd take them in and put 'em to work, along with myself and family, for the betterment of all ... a no-brainer, if you ask me.

more often than not they're already 'skilled' beyond the means and in different areas than you, myself or others.

Win-Win

What does one do with the droves of the weak and helpless who desperately need help after the fact, the "refugees"?

Fed, tended to, cared for and asked to help the others seek, find, provide materials and/or sustenance

... K.I.S.S., I believe it is.

void any sort of infectious or 'pose a problem' type scenario ... their as welcome an addition as the Nuns .. and will likely bring just as much diversity to the table as well.

My own solution might involve medical quarantine signs posted on the approaches, to discourage the approach at all. Other folks mileage may vary, but it's something they need to consider. Everyone has 20/20 hndsight. The trick is to develop the foresight.

I think we'd be a bit wary too ... depending upon the circumstance and situation, overall ...

tough love is often a hard thing to meet out, but it were a 'potentially infectious' -type scenario ... jeanie and i'd likely flip the driveway sign from "no fishing today" to " beware tires spikes ahead"

still... any able-bodied, healthy and/or willing individual would be welcomed ... 's long as they pull their weight - simple as that.

*of course, other's view's or mileage may vary*

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

My own strategy is to not have any particular "point" to defend - just a general area. I don't care who passes through it, since they absolutely cannot occupy the same spot I do. all I have to do is take a step to the left or right, and let them have their own 2 square feet for as long as they can stand there. I'm confident that they'll get tired of standing there before I get tired of them being there. I might even split a grub or roast rat with them. There's always more where that came from.

Likewise, my strategy doesn't involve stock piling anything more than what I can tote on my back, at a dead run. No "point" to defend, no "stash" to defend and be tied down to. Who'd bother going to war with me over anything I don't have? They'd have to put the same amount of work into getting what I can get as I would, and I'll share what I've got for the day with 'em anyhow.

There's always time for settling down later, after the smoke clears - assuming I manage to get through the initial part. The hardest part of that strategy is winter. You almost have to have a base of sorts and somewhat of a stockpile to get through winter. On the bright side, not too many people are going to venture off the beaten track at that time of year to bother you. In the old days, people used to bury caches of supplies at various points in their stomping grounds, and I'm thinking that might be a potential solution to wintering over. Like living arrangements, it's an area thing rather than a point thing, and even if someone stumbles across a cache or two, you're not ruined altogether over it - you still have the other caches to fall back on.

It's neither an easy nor a settled way to go, and it's not for everyone. On the positive side, you can make friends without fear of being taken over, and get away from unfriendly folks that don't want you around. You've not invested in any fixed infrastructure, so it's relatively easier to just pick up and walk away. There have been a couple of groups that have expressed an interest in keeping me around their fixed positions as a sort of "roving security" or "ranger" in the indian wars sense of that word, but I'm hesitant to commit to any such arrangement. Sure enough I'd have a "settlement" or community to run to in emergencies or when it got too lonesome out in the green, as well as some backup in the event that a young war broke out, but at the same time it would give me a fixed point to have to worry over.

Decisions, decisions.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join