It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casting Call: Survival documentary turns to ATS for experts...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This could be grate for ATS.
Dont tell Any one you/we have any Guns!
and tons of ammo.
we dont wont Them knocking down the door to take them away.
say you have a hunting rifle and a hunting permit! lol.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by lastrebel
I dont think Nomad Survivalism would fit into there mindset.

Nor mine: Stock up on enough liquor and cigarettes to barter for whatever you need.

And if that doesn't work... well... we got booze and cigs.

I've cartons of cigarettes and I don't smoke, just rotate them out to friends and buy new for barter if needed.

As for the spirits, well those are always in short supply... No matter what the scenario.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I really want to watch this when it comes on. I have 7 kids and the sheer number of things that could go wrong on any given day are why we try to prepare. Instead of focusing on stockpiling, we have focused on being able to produce it ourselves. Our "stockpile" is largely on the hoof and in the seed with only a couple of month's worth of ready to go supplies. Since we have no crystal ball to know the nature of a future shtf scenario, we have covered the basics. I "think" we are way ahead of the average Joe, but will be curious to see how we "stack up" compared to what others have done and see what we have missed.
edit on 29-3-2011 by americanwoman because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
No offense to SO et al, but there are by far more serious survival sites and orgs out there.. why ATS? 50K threads on BOBs and the moral debates between bug outers raiding farmers to rape their fields, women/men considering their bodies as currency, and claims that folks will go cannibal to survive have nothing to do with the sensationalism of a TV show, right?

All I have to say is that I hope the site owners have some say over which side of the fringe ticket is highlighted since it will be from that point forever what ATS is known for, if ATS is to be mentioned in this program or by its participants. Personally, Id not participate. It would be easy to find me and husband's employment would frown on our views and preps for urban survival we started years ago... not to mention a clandestine weapons cache in a state that frowns upon firearms of any type.
I do hope folks consider all of the implications before getting stars in their eyes.

Me? My kids say Im like that character woody harrelson plays on zombieland. Im not sure if I should be offended. Feel free to come by and video me sitting on my pile of pork n beans, spam, and twinkies. Im quite photogenic and can rant like no one's business given the right motivation in the form of high fructose corn syrup snack cakes and Dr Pepper.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

Here's a tip for ya...
Save up on veggie seed packages and the ones you want are mostly the Asian variety of greens...
see normally when grown from a seed it takes 60 days or more to harvest... but some of those Asian ones, boc choy can be ready to eat in as little as 20+ days... the trick is to get back into food production as fast as possible, hopefully before starving to death...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ah, there's a good idea let's tell every one your plan. please people wake up, any professional soldier will tell you the hardest people to fight are the nonprofessionals, which this site is full of. TPTB would love to get an insight on there thought process, they could care less about us professionals because they trained us and know are tactics.
But please be my guest sell your plans since the soul is already been bought.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ya know to all the naysayers out there...
ya know in a very real way... Mother Earth News has been doing this same kind of thing for over thirty years...
I call it less of a survival deal than I think of it as a self sufficiency issue... after allisnt that what most of us are planing on, getting by without help from outside sources

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

There are plenty of survival shows out there also. Hunting shoes, man vs. wild, the colony, etc., etc.

I'm sure this is a twist on things from a conspiracy theorists view point, and will end up being some kind of hybrid Jesse Ventura, Man v. Wild, Hoarders, and Nanny McPhee, LOL!

No telling what they have in mind, but I'm sure they have their reasons for picking ATS as a source for casting call.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by americanwoman

Here's a tip for ya...
Save up on veggie seed packages and the ones you want are mostly the Asian variety of greens...
see normally when grown from a seed it takes 60 days or more to harvest... but some of those Asian ones, boc choy can be ready to eat in as little as 20+ days... the trick is to get back into food production as fast as possible, hopefully before starving to death...

Daddy, Ive been able to keep non GMO harvested seeds of all types for 2 yrs in my fridge and theyre in there growing like crazy waiting to be transplanted as we speak They are by far more hardy and vigorous growers than the seeds you buy from a store.
2 yrs is pretty good IMO. You can get into sort of co-ops with gardeners all over the US and trade seeds for different varieties... ALL natural, non GMO, and hand harvested from the mother crops themselves. You rotate your seeds out with others in the co-op so they dont die in storage after a few yrs.. and always have a fresh viable supply.
Youre absolutely correct on the asian greens.. we have a huge section for asian greens in the co-op.
The only problem Ive every had with them is bolting. Bok Choy and Tah Tsai is particularly prone to bolting to seed. There are methods online if anyone cares to google them to help prevent the premature bolt. SOme modern varieties are not bolters, but they ARE gmo

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Advantage

There are plenty of survival shows out there also. Hunting shoes, man vs. wild, the colony, etc., etc.

I'm sure this is a twist on things from a conspiracy theorists view point, and will end up being some kind of hybrid Jesse Ventura, Man v. Wild, Hoarders, and Nanny McPhee, LOL!

No telling what they have in mind, but I'm sure they have their reasons for picking ATS as a source for casting call.

And its their reasons which concern me.Obviously SO isnt an idiot, but still.. I have a little personal experience with the wonderful Discovery Channel.. and they arent out for anything other than the green. Truth or valid information is NOT the main motivation. Fair warning. If SO wants to hear details, he knows where I am And if its the discovery channel.. we're on to you suckas.

Fair warning again.. any ATSers who decide to eat bugs and call it survival rather than actually preparing or build a 190 LB bug out bag full of canned goods in your birkinstocks while sharing long pig recipes..... youre on my extra special list.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been asked, but How Much Does It Pay?

I mean this could be an opportunity to put those finishing touches on preparedness...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Why are MODS smarter or more well groomed? Would it make for bragging rights or a one upmanship? I dont get it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by ADVISOR

Why are MODS smarter or more well groomed? Would it make for bragging rights or a one upmanship? I dont get it.

They have magic powers.. you didnt get the memo? Its like a hall monitor, he/she has the sash. Or more like Lord of the Flies.. they have the conch.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by ADVISOR

Access to the Top Secret ATS stash of survival goodies, the real Nostradamus prophecies in the ATS catacombs. Only Mods get to see chat with Edgar Cayce via our Campbells' soup can string-theory phone, and only Mods have the secret code to batman's cave under the Sphinx as supplied by the fleeing Zawass.

The show will be much cooler with Mod access.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is awesome! Great News for ATS!

First a few things that I noticed that I would like to point out before people start digging super deep looking at this as a conspiracy in it self.

We really don't know much beyond what is posted in the OP beyond that a Major Network is casting for a documentary on the subject of a extreme survival situations. I wouldn't think Above Top Secret is singled out in this casting call. From the description I read it seems like they are looking for a wide array of single to multiple groups of people. I don't think it would be too far of a stretch to think that other sites beyond Above Top Secret have also been contacted.

I think this is one situation where it would be wise to not jump to conclusions and actually think about the benefits a documentary could provide to people from all walks of life. This is a great opportunity for ATS and for the members. If any members are chosen it benefits ATS by generating ad revenue which allows this site to remain free for everyone to post and continue discussions on Alternative Subjects in a rational manner where all sides of the subjects are presented. If a member from ATS does get cast it benefits the person by giving him/her the satisfaction knowing that they are helping save lives and making a difference in the world. Also if a member is chosen, he/she could turn the exposure into teaching a survival class for some extra pocket cash to build that Above Top Secret bunker that they have always dreamed of.

Think about the positives of this situation and the opportunities that it could provide for other people that you associate with on this site. Besides in a real SHTF scenario you might end up isolated where no help can get to you, or leave you with no place to bug out too. Such as in a flood one second you could be sleeping and the next minute you could be on top of your roof hoping the water doesn't cross the threshold of the roof, all the years of preparations go straight out the window in that scenario along with a bunch of others.

This is a great opportunity for this site and something that should be taken advantage of in my opinion. Also I'm a visual person so a documentary on this kind of stuff would help me prepare a lot!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Part of surviving is being INVISIBLE in every way possible.
Let the "cat" out of the bag and you definitely make a statement.

Great idea for an instructional documentary...let them use actors...there are other ways to
achieve the same means to the end...and I'm sure this company that has contacted the
owners has the money to do it.

Choosing the forums for information means we at ATS have become visible...and that means
everyone is watching...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

reply to post by ADVISOR

To answer your first question I do not know why, and would argue quite the contrary.
As for your second question, no that is what the "super" is for. If you do not get it, then why ask?

I was only hoping to get clarification, as staff may not be able to participate.

Clearly we both are not reading the memos.

p.s.
you should consider you issue of hostility, why would to be offended by my inquiry...

what is it with staff hating, is it some form of anti authority issues, or teen totalitarianism?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Sweeeet! I thought I joined this community at an interesting time and I was right. I can't wait for some of you guys to become pseudo-celebrities that I can pretend to know when my wife sees you on television.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Doing a quick search led me to this site that had casting calls for survival stories:
dsc.discovery.com...
I wonder if it is the same for here...

The whole link will not show up on here.
It's called "Dual Survival" from The Discovery Channel...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think whether or not the intentions of the network are genuine, a show about survivalists would be a wonderful educational tool to teach people how to be prepared, and what to expect in case of emergency. Those who say they wouldn't want their techniques to be discovered are acting in a selfish manner in my opinion. I understand that in these situations many think it's best to look out for oneself before helping anyone else, but wouldn't it be great if everyone knew how to stay prepared and how to behave in an emergency? If everyone prepared, there would be less need to be afraid of looters.

I hope that whoever is picked for the show knows what they're doing, and demonstrates ways of surviving without the need to rob or kill somebody for their supplies. In emergency situations people need to learn to toss their egos aside and work together to ration food, water and shelter. If this show ever airs, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I recall seeing something similar where a family lives together in a wooden shack in Alaska, hunting moose and preparing all their food, clothes and drinking water with as few modern conveniences as possible. Can't remember what it was called, but it was interesting.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join