It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Military Strength Ranking (By Country)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

click on the each country and you will get the full breakdown and reasons why

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
So, according to that....Brazil can make North Korea dance "samba" , haha...wannna see that.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
1 U.S.A.
2 China
3 Russia
4 India
5 U.K.
6 France
7 Germany
8 Brazil
9 Japan
10 Turkey
11 Saudi Arabia
12 South Korea
13 Italy
14 Indonesia
15 Pakistan
16 Taiwan
17 Egypt
18 Iran
19 Mexico
20 North Korea
21 Sweden
22 Greece
23 Canada
24 Spain
25 Ukraine
26 Australia
27 Israel
28 Thailand
29 Denmark
30 Poland

Correced listings to reflect how much of the defense industry is in house as places like Israel, Denmark have to go out of nation to supply themselves and has no manufacturing base internally.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
...Germany no 7 is a bit of a concern, but as it is still an occupied nation

Point of order - Germany is not an occupied nation. Silly comment. Germany has a highly capable military, albeit constrained by law.

To OP. The problem with comparisons like this is the very generality of it all. For example, in the air force statistics the total aircraft includes trainers and - in the case of Russia - the large portion od airframes which are unserviceable. Some nations (such as China) have a vast fleet of aircraft which are largely useless due to age.

I addition, the ranking / statistics make no acknowledgement of the “softer” elements of military power, like intelligence capability, doctrinal advancement, command structures, training, power projection and other useful items. Often, these “softer” issues server as force multipliers which would render a small nation (like Denmark) capable of bettering a nation which had an “on paper” superiority.

That said, to open the debate this type of ranking is useful.

Regards

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Israel should be at #4 or 5.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalki2012
Israel should be at #4 or 5.

No they are not because for a military to outsource everything it needs means it is not as powerful as people claim. They rely on American tanks, European choppers, Russian planes and guns tells me they have absolutely zero manufacturing base that can supply everything in house!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
This really shouldn't be called "World Military Strength Ranking" It should be "World Military Ranked by Size" The size of the Military has nothing to do with the strength of the Army. The title is misleading. It is good to know who has the largest armies tho'.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

doesnt matter where they get the weapons from, point is they have them. again this without nukes so your chart is way off...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

doesnt matter where they get the weapons from, point is they have them. again this without nukes so your chart is way off...

The size and strength of a nations military is defined by what they themselves produce. Israel is a suspected nuclear power but refuses to let UN weapons inspectors in.

If 3 nations cut off all supply routes to Israel they'd collapse in less then 3 months as they would exhaust all their supplies. Now, if say Canada came at The US from the north, The Carribean from the south, Russia from the east and China from the west the US has more then enough materials and arms produced daily domestically that we could hold off an opponent indefinately.
edit on 26-3-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I say these rankings should all be sorted out on a video game simulation. If i get the United States, that means i can call on a large number of mercenary groups and contract certain missions out to them right?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
TheImmaculateD1, you're such a lousy whiner! Get over it for heaven's sake.. Your points are simply invalid as you clearly don't understand what an army strength is all about.

Is there a single military force on earth which is totally independent and does not import weapons? Other than maybe the US and Russia, I believe such a thing does not exist. It doesn't even matter tho.. You can cry as much as you want about how "unfair" the list is as long as Israel buys weapons instead of producing them (worst damn argument I have ever heard of) but it won't change the fact that Israel is a force stronger than most nations who don't import as much - say, Iran, or Sweden for extreme examples.

As for the original list - highly inaccurate.
India above France, UK and Germany?
Taiwan and Indonesia above Iran and North Korea?
Doesn't make any sense.. sorry.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I really don't think china should be second. Russia beats them BY FAR.

Like everything thats made in china they may have a lot of it, but it is absolute CRAP. They are no where near as technologically advanced as Russia. there air force is old Russian tech.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The question is:
IS 2 + 3 > 1???

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

The study takes into account the number of troops and vehicles. For instance technically China is second, yet China's army is incredibly weak, their navy almost non-existent and their air-force poorly funded and underdeveloped. Britain or France, or Israel could wipe the floor with China's army. The US could most likely take out the entire Chinese army within 2 months. And the vast majority of China's army is more of a military police corps to beat peasants when they speak out of turn.

Russia likewise is a massive rusting antique, aside from nuclear capability they are not that powerful, especially compared to Western technology.

The USA, Britain, France, Germany and Israel are the most powerful armies in the World. Not to mention the obvious, war with either the USA, Britain, France, Germany or any other Western European state means war with all of them.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If we take into account where parts are made, the U.S. is following a downward slope.
Just like cars can be made here without their component parts being made here, so can military items.
I don't know how reliable the following source is, but, I have poked a couple of times for information as to where the parts for our military goods are sourced and I haven't found highly reputable informative information. The source below indicates that much is made out of country and that even the government is having a hard time tracking down exactly what and exactly where.
www.madeinamericaproject.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.madeinamericaproject.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yea, it is kinda like the NCAA Basketball Tournament,,,,,it is as much how they "match up" (relative combined forces) as it is how they are "seeded" (or ranked).

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
There is no way Greece has more military might than Canada.

This study was clearly fabricated.

Yeah, Mexico can kick N Korea's butt? They can't even keep a lid on their own guerrillas!

I really do love authentic Mexican food, BTW!!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Mexican Army + Drug Cartels....Maybe (those cartels dont fight fair).

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think the UK should be no. 1. In a fight USA would blow each other up, Russia would be drunk, and China would get whipped by the UK

(just want to add that the UK would also run out of funding after 6 moths of fighting, but that should be long enough!!!)
edit on 26-3-2011 by 2012king because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by loveguy

Mexican Army + Drug Cartels....Maybe (those cartels dont fight fair).

I thought this list was comprised of fighting forces most capable of eliminating an enemy?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join