It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US about to put 2200 Marines on the ground in Libya?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This definitely seems like boots are gonna be on the ground. I'd love to see obama spin this after saying no troops involved....

After China and Russia warned the US to back off yesterday, what will happen if the marines do go in? This will put the "No-Fly Zone" lie to rest and it's going to shake up the wrong people as it is going to seem like a slap in the face to China and Russia.

ONSLOW COUNTY -- We've seen Camp Lejuene Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan and now they are joining the fight against Libya.

About 2,200 Marines from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, or 26th MEU will take part. Their mission is to help end the violence directed at the Libyan people.

www.wcti12.com...

UPDATE: Conditions set forth by the U.N. Security Council towards resolving the unrest in Libya included the removal of Libyan Leader Muammar al-Qadhafi’s forces from Ajdubiyah. These latest strikes by the MEU aimed at preserving the sanctity of the city and the safety of the civilians within it. In an effort to safeguard the Libyan populace and infrastructure in and around the city of Ajdabiyah from further attacks by regime forces, 26th MEU, as part of Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn, launched a second round of strikes by AV-8B Harrier jump jets. “Our primary concern was ensuring the people inside Ajdubiyah were safe from Qadhafi’s artillery and tanks,” said Col. Mark J. Desens, commanding officer of 26th MEU. “Everything we are seeing following these strikes indicates that his forces are now less capable of threatening the town than before.”

www.wcti12.com...
edit on 23-3-2011 by jude11 because: update

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yea, I read that today,

Obama: No Ground Troops in Libya

President Obama, U.S. ground troops will not deploy in Libya and that force will not be used beyond protecting civilians.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If that does happen it will be the quickest lie turn around in barrys (yes I used lower case, barry does not deserve capitals) repertoire of lies..he specifically said " NO troops on the ground!"

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Never heard so much BS in my life!

(well, actually I have but it's the same ol same ol)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well, for anyone that was on the fence as to whether or not Obama had overreached and circumvented Congress in this potential declaration of war, I would think this solves it once for all no? Unless there was an emergency meeting called this morning that I don't know about yet.

Ground troops = war definitively. (in my humble opinion.)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Obama such a liar

impeach him NOW

before he causes WW3

NO TROOPS IN LIBYA !!!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I would say this is shocking news, but sadly it was expected in my opinion. The war machine must grind on!
You can't make money on your weapons contracts, and contractors if there is no need for them now can you? I do however think there will be major backlash over this if they do in fact deploy ground forces openly aside from recon/intelligence gathering.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
so is it confirmed usa will put troops on the ground in libya
makes sense u need men on the ground to determine friend from foe
and to co-ordinate airstrikes without civilian deaths
im ENGLISH and am joining the armed forces infantry
and would volunteer to go to libya and back up the rebellion
against a tyrrant and a terrorist - lockerbee-
we havent forgot if they dont ship me out ill go alone
watch the film THE KINGDOM jamie fox and that bird out of electra
explains all about the birth of nation security through terrorist against russia

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Had to edit as I wasn't being clear and have been corrected on certain divisions of Marines. Thank you posters.

Still, with 2200 going in, I think if anyone still believes there will not be a ground invasion, they need to look at Obama's track record of lies the moment he took office.

There is no way that the US would spend millions already and not be working towards an end goal of recouping their losses and actually making huge profits. They need to go in on the ground in order to seize whatever they're after.

Lots of theories on that also. Oil? Most likely a benefit.

Water? That's my guess.

twelfthbough.blogspot.com...

edit on 23-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It was always unrealistic to expect no forces on the ground. The pro-Gaddafi forces are switching to snipers and guys driving around in cars with AK47s out the window. Can't really use a Cruise Missile or B2 bomber against those sort of targets in the middle of a city....not without killing more people than you're saving.

However, to get the UN resolution passed quickly (or at all) they had to dress it up as just a "no fly zone" to get everybody on board. I believe the resolution said "everything short of an invasion" could be used......and I'm sure they can easily work around that. For example, the Marines will probably be called a "humanitarian support unit" or something

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
www.africom.mil...

I started a thread a coupleof days ago about a new base in Tripoli being possible. We have bases in the south, west and east.

Not in the north.

Check out the link (above) it's about Africom. The U.S. presence in Africa.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
lockerbee was a frame up as is everyother reason the US uses for war so far
original.antiwar.com...

thats why they had to let the guy go
they couldn't have the truth come out at appeal

god the BS never stops
killing civies is what this invasion is all about

the rebels are alcia duh
www.telegraph.co.uk...

how can people be SO STUPID?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Looks like the False Messiah's started WWIII.

Why can't he just have the CIA send in 20,000 mercenaries who couldn't be linked to us to decimate Libya?

The Anti-Christ's going to get us into WWIII. Guess the illinois lotterys numbers hitting 666 after he was elected was a sign we should have paid more attention to.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Yea, I read that today,

Obama: No Ground Troops in Libya

President Obama, U.S. ground troops will not deploy in Libya and that force will not be used beyond protecting civilians.

and that force will not be used beyond protecting civilians. And that right there is a green light for boots on the ground. In the name of protecting civilians.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Quite simply, Marines don't fly planes. At lease I've never heard of it anyway.

uhm...

List of active United States Marine Corps aircraft squadrons

Rotary-Wing Aircraft
Tiltrotor Aircraft
Fixed-Wing Aircraft
Unmanned Aerial Systems

the Marines are likely the most diversely-trained, all-inclusive branch of the armed forces that there are.

you want it done ... they're the goto guys

link   
A Marine Expeditionary Unit is a Marine Infantry Battalion that is reinforced with an artillery battery, a tank platoon, a Light Armored Vehicle Platoon and other attachments. It also has an attached support battalion and a small air wing comprised of 8 AV8 Harriers, 4 to 8 gunships, and about 16 or so transport helicopters of various types.. HOWEVER: they are all deployed on an amphibous ready group, which is a group of US Navy Ships at sea. They have many, capabilities, including amphibous assault, but that does not mean they will be on the ground.

Often they will break into one or more TRAP units. Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel. One such group is what rescued the F-15E Pilot.

There is already an MEU in the area. This is replacing that one, which is due to come home. Although together they would provide a pretty heavy punch. Although not NEARLY enough to invade a country without serious reinforcement.

link   

Originally posted by jude11
Quite simply, Marines don't fly planes. At lease I've never heard of it anyway.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/23250ff6eef1.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2df2f127b133.jpg[/atsimg]

United States Marine Corps Aviation
United States Marine Corps Aviation is the air component of the United States Marine Corps. Marine aviation has a very different mission and operation than its ground counterpart, and thus, has many of its own histories, traditions, terms, and procedures. All Marine aviation falls under the influence of the Deputy Commandant for Aviation, whose job is to advise the Commandant of the Marine Corps in all matters relating to aviation, especially acquisition of new assets, conversions of current aircraft, maintenance, operation, and command.[1]

Close air support
The development of the close air support came in between the World Wars, mostly through the adaptation of fighters or light bombers. Following the end of World War I, the United States embraced its role of global power and the United States Marine Corps became the preferred force for military intervention and where the Marines went so went Marine aviation. It was while fighting bandits and insurgents in places such as Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua that Marine Aviators would begin to experiment with air-ground tactics making the support of their fellow Marines on the ground their primary mission. It was in Haiti that U.S. Marines began to develop the tactic of dive bombing and in Nicaragua where they began to perfect it. While other nations and services had tried variations of this technique, Marine aviators were the first to embrace it and make it part of their tactical doctrine.[4]

edit on 23-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Curio
It was always unrealistic to expect no forces on the ground. The pro-Gaddafi forces are switching to snipers and guys driving around in cars with AK47s out the window. Can't really use a Cruise Missile or B2 bomber against those sort of targets in the middle of a city....not without killing more people than you're saving.

However, to get the UN resolution passed quickly (or at all) they had to dress it up as just a "no fly zone" to get everybody on board. I believe the resolution said "everything short of an invasion" could be used......and I'm sure they can easily work around that. For example, the Marines will probably be called a "humanitarian support unit" or something

"Everything short of an invasion"

Just what constitutes an invasion anyway? Does it mean boots have to be on the ground? There are all types of invasions. Land, Air, Sea...it's all the same.

That's the problem with this little permission slip from the UN. It seems that they are only referring to boots on the ground but an invasion has already been launched by sea and air so anything goes now.

It's all word play to buy time. The end result will be a full scale invasion coming from all directions and innocent civilians will die at the hands of coalition forces....again.

IMO

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That avatar! lol gets me every time.

I was referring to the ground troops but yes you are correct in this. I should have made reference to what component is going in as it ain't air.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

marines dont fly planes? since when?

i thought it was 'land, sea, air'

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join