It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US about to put 2200 Marines on the ground in Libya?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Quite simply, Marines don't fly planes. At lease I've never heard of it anyway.

Seriously? Please allow me to introduce you to the greatest Marine Fighter Pilot ever assembled. The Great Santini.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Only this Time,Russia,China and probably other Nations won´t stay quit and let it happen...said it a few Times lately,but this Year is getting worse with each passing Week...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Everyone knows you cannot sort out the chaos in Libya without troops on the ground.
Wonder how they will spin this one.Wait let me guess.....

[Future Obama spin] Being read off a teleprompter of course

My fellow Americans,
"The turmoil in Libya is worse than we expected. In order to minimize the loss of civilian casualties and to effectively restore peace to the region, the coalition will indeed need to implement the use of ground troops in Libya............Now,I know what you're thinking, and these troops will be not be there long, I can PROMISE to you this, these troops will be back in their families arms by next Sunday"........yada yada yada

How close am ?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Marine's do fly planes. Beyond that fact, why is it needed to send in 2200 soldiers unless the intentions were to land in Libya to "protect civilians"? This would be a direct violation of United Nations Proposal 1973:

...to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory...

U.N. Resolution 1973

Besides the fact that the action taken thus far should not have been done, if Pres. Obama orders these forces to land on Libyan soil it will be "game over".

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gatewaywithin

nah....he might do a George W, Bush........

"look mate, I don't know why they're going in to Libya, why the hell should I care!"

......then goes back to playing golf

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Although I have clarified my last post, and yes there are air components to the marines, the entire point of the post is that 2200 marines going in are not going to all take to the air.

An Expeditionary Unit of 2200 is not going over with only pilots. It's really that simple.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well at least OBama has come right and stated no ground invasion....

Obama rules out 'land invasion' in Libya

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

has he kept any of his election promises?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I fully support the Obama Administration for sending in 2,200 Marines. We have to get this conflict over fast, and not let it end into a stalemate.

MQ, deserves to be punished for his grievious crimes, against the Libyan people and the Pan Am Flight bombing of 1988.

Good luck, too all of our troops: Land, Sea and Air.

Erno86
edit on 23-3-2011 by Erno86 because: delete

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well at least OBama has come right and stated no ground invasion....

Obama rules out 'land invasion' in Libya

Just wondering how long this promise will last.

I think I also remember him ruling out Iraq, Afghanistan etc when he was running for office. Oh right, he got in so that doesn't count anymore.

Yeah, he sure has the promise thing down pat.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's easy peasy to simultaneously state "no invasion" while marching troops down Main St.

Two words: peacekeeping force.

Semantics rules the day. Nobodys lying while everybodys lying.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think there is some confusion regarding the phrase, "boots on the ground". Traditionally, in military and defense circles, this phrase typically means large, conventional, sustained ground forces, like a mass airborne drop, or the deployment of a couple of heavy units like an armored division.

Sending in a rescue mission to recover a downed pilot doesn't fall into this catagory, even if some Marines jumped off the helicopter to haul they guy in, and their boots left little prints in the sand.

Taking this a bit more broadly, most in the military wouldn't evem apply the phrase to combat controllers or other Spec Ops guys sneaking around scoping out and verifying targets, lasing those targets, etc. They are part of the "air" mission.

I don't think the President is going to authorize ground combat forces in a conventional land invasion of Libya. I am not so sure about France or Britian. I could see them going as far as putting in forces to secure the "rebel areas' and then helping establish and independent seperate state. After all It's BPs oil contracts at stake.

I don't see any march to the "shores of Tripoli", although as noted, this could escelate.

If the US WERE to get involved in "boots on the ground" it should be easy to see this coming. Besides the mentioned MEU (by the way, only about 650 or so of those 2200 marines are actial "shooters") the US has a light airborne brigade in Italy (173rd Airborne). Two Heavy Brigades and 1 Stryker brigade in Europe, one of which is getting ready to be moved permantely back to the US. You would see large troop movements at probably Fort Benning, Bragg,and Stewart at a minimum, and that's outside of schedule depolyments to Iraq or Afgahnistan.

I just don't see it happening...........well, not yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is going to be so sad.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

My husband (DaddyBare here on ATS) was last with the 26th MEU before he retired...
I just checked their website USMC 26th and there's no mention of this there??? last entry was back on the 21th so they my be a bit to busy to update us

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is NOT I repeat NOT troops on the ground. The article mentions nothing about troops on the ground, it specifically states that the Marines are airborne.

26th MEU, as part of Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn, launched a second round of strikes by AV-8B Harrier jump jets

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
This is NOT I repeat NOT troops on the ground. The article mentions nothing about troops on the ground, it specifically states that the Marines are airborne.

26th MEU, as part of Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn, launched a second round of strikes by AV-8B Harrier jump jets

Have a look at this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An ABC news affiliate is reporting there are now 2,000 Marines on the ground in one city.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Although I have clarified my last post, and yes there are air components to the marines, the entire point of the post is that 2200 marines going in are not going to all take to the air.

An Expeditionary Unit of 2200 is not going over with only pilots. It's really that simple.

You are right, the vast majority of them are not going to be flying. A small minority of those marines will fly the rest will perform other duties such as maintenance, communication, etc. to make the airborne missions a success.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Of course there are and I believe quite afew were already on the ground weeks before

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Curio
It was always unrealistic to expect no forces on the ground. The pro-Gaddafi forces are switching to snipers and guys driving around in cars with AK47s out the window. Can't really use a Cruise Missile or B2 bomber against those sort of targets in the middle of a city....not without killing more people than you're saving.

However, to get the UN resolution passed quickly (or at all) they had to dress it up as just a "no fly zone" to get everybody on board. I believe the resolution said "everything short of an invasion" could be used......and I'm sure they can easily work around that. For example, the Marines will probably be called a "humanitarian support unit" or something

"Everything short of an invasion"

Just what constitutes an invasion anyway? Does it mean boots have to be on the ground? There are all types of invasions. Land, Air, Sea...it's all the same.

That's the problem with this little permission slip from the UN. It seems that they are only referring to boots on the ground but an invasion has already been launched by sea and air so anything goes now.

It's all word play to buy time. The end result will be a full scale invasion coming from all directions and innocent civilians will die at the hands of coalition forces....again.

IMO

Invasion is an Occupying ground force... which the UN resolution excludes BUT a non occupying ground for is still very much allowed and will probably happen very soon.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Rolling Thunder - A Marine's Vigil
www.youtube.com...

Remember there are names on a Wall in DC. Honor those have given so much.
If it's humanitarian; send the Red Cross. If it's to kill and take land; send troops.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join