It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Japan Quake Won't Trigger a California Quake": Live Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I know there has been talk about a California earthquake being set off by the earthquake in Japan. Live Science released an article that dismisses the opinions of non-scientists on the subject, and asserts that there is no risk of a California earthquake as a result of the Japan earthquake. Here are two snippets from the article.

"An unfounded scientific assertion by a nonscientist has swept across the Web like a tsunami over the past few days."

"There is no evidence for a connection between all of the Pacific Rim earthquakes," Nathan Bangs, a geophysicist who studies tectonic processes at the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics, told Life's Little Mysteries. "I don't know what the basis is for the statements and implications in the Newsweek article, but there is no evidence that there is a link."

I am not sure if this report is legitimate or if its disinformation, but it is out there, nonetheless. I just thought I would share this and see what everyone's opinions are on this. I cannot have one because I know very little about said subjet matter.

Here is the link to the original article: news.yahoo.com...
edit on 22-3-2011 by Nathwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'M not a scientist, so this seems plausible to me. However, there may not be direct evidence of earthquake relationships, there are statistcs from the 1900s of big quakes following each other on different sides of the ring of fire, even though there isn't a direct evidence of cause and effect in that matter. But hey, I'm not a seismologists.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It might not but the whole World is shaking like hell right at this moment !!!! last time I saw this much shaking Japan was hit....Be on alert!!!!
Looks like SOMEBODY is really, really mad at China...Maybe because they didn't want countries to attack Libya?

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...
edit on 22-3-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm going to assume they're talking about Jim Berkland. There is a thread here about his prediction:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I'd sooner trust the guy who predicted the 1989 World Series quake before the people who probably fired him for it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

So, could it be possible that the Japan Quake and a possible Cali Quake are not causally related, but caused by some other variable?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I'M not a scientist, so this seems plausible to me. However, there may not be direct evidence of earthquake relationships, there are statistcs from the 1900s of big quakes following each other on different sides of the ring of fire, even though there isn't a direct evidence of cause and effect in that matter. But hey, I'm not a seismologists.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

It is for that reason that I hope someone with some scientific inclinations will come into this thread and either support or refute this information. With all the seismic activity in the world today, it would make sense for TPTB to hide the extent of to which the activity is related, so that people do not start getting scared about "domino effect" earthquakes.

top topics

join