It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Matrix may be reality

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The biggest obstacle hindering the belief that time does not exist is that the sun does rise and set everyday. So, if we truly live in a matrix, then someone is setting that up to make us believe in the concept. Or, the sun doesn't exist period...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I just had a weird thought. What if a dream I had where I was bored and made myself human and recreated the Earth and everyone along with it wasn't a dream. That would mean that this life is a dream. I would just have to realize that I am dreaming and then I could possibly start lucid dreaming in this grand dream or the so called matrix. This weird thought may be due to some beer .

I'm starting to think there aren't enough storms and other things in this dream though. I'm starting to miss the almost daily lightning storms I remember as a kid. If this life is a dream, perhaps images and perceptions of shadows are actually coming in from the real world or another dimension slightly out of shift with this one. Another weird thought, ever been touched by a ghost? Perhaps it's a weird ability to be in two dimensions at the same time. Or perhaps this life is all a dream matrix and we are actually sensing on occasion parts of the real world. Hope I'm not making someone insane with my ramblings.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
The biggest obstacle hindering the belief that time does not exist is that the sun does rise and set everyday. So, if we truly live in a matrix, then someone is setting that up to make us believe in the concept.

I agree with you, Jamuhn - time must exist in whatever shape or form we may use in our imperfect attempts to delineate it. If time really didn't exist, then wouldn't this overthrow just about everything we "know" or feel we've learned about our universe, matrix or not? Even the simpler concepts, such as distance, & what is generally accepted as the speed of light? Speed & distance seem to go hand in hand with the time concept.

No time would really pull the rug of existence out from under me.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It is well known that time is man made. As for the sun rising and setting we sad little beings used that as an excuse to base our time upon. I cant imagine cavemen with watches. Our biggest mistake was the invention of time it causes us only to think and act in a certain time period. I dont think when the almighty or whoever made the universe made this planet he said to the occupants well "lets synchronise watches the time is now 12am exactly" We made time to suit ourselves and we will live that way for ever. We cannot tap into other levels cos we cant even let go of the concept of time its in our blood.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
C'mon, thesaint, aren't you perhaps taking this a little too literally? Time must exist in some form or other. Thing don't happen simyultaneously in even our own individual sphere of reality.

We plant a seed - it germinates, grows, flowers & eventually dies. A partner falls pregnant, given birth, the infant grows etc. We age. So how do you remove time from the equation?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Please please try to see what im saying. Time is a man made object, there is no argument about it i mean no one else started it for us. I have studied this subject for years. Here are a few good comments on the subject which i pulled from another site. take a look.

www.marijuana.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I agree with you and everything saint that time doesn't exist. But right now its more like a belief. And the whole sole reason its a belief is because the sun still rises and sets, what do you propose I do about that? Or can you comment more about how time doesnt exist in the context of the movements of the "heavens"?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If this were all true, after death, would we be able to travel and incarnate into other dimensions?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
OK, time is a man-made measurement. But what does it meaure, or was it meant to measure or get a handle on? Change - that's the most satifying & self-evident answer I got off the site in your link, thesaint.

Change occurs all around us, & change seems to take place constantly. So I can accept changes as being interchangeable with time. Mightn't do for Einstein, but I think it's a pretty good summing-up.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Actually, I think we already can. And I think you answered my question. We are in one dimension of many, and though time doesnt exist as a whole, it does exist in this dimension, at least in some form or another. But how do we get rid of time in this world we live on..

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well people due to a good response in the theory of time conversation we been having i have started a new thread called "does time really exsist" I feel we were sort of going of the point as this site is about the matrix. I would like to carry on this discussion as it is a good one.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i myself dont believe time exists either, mainly because we dont hold the right time of the certain moment the universe came about, the constellations, gases etc.

i mean sure the sun rises. sets and the moon comes, but that only means that the planets have their own schedule. one which is a cycle that dwells beyond our comprehension. this is apparently obvious and proves our time isnt really worth much. just intended to keep people back and ''relaxed.''

i think theres more in store for our universe than man percieves it to be. because in a million years we wont be here, and other planets will with new life. life which still probably wont have a sure, exact method of ''time.''

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
TOPSECRETOMBOMB

We have carried this discussion on in a different thread a new one called
"Does Time Really Exsist" feel free to join us.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
All very good responses. In regards to the matrix being reality, here is something to think about. In the matrix movie, the humans are serving as batteries for the race of machines, humans created in pods for that sole purpose. In these pods, humans are given a reality that is simultaneous throughout, a consensus established by the machines/matrix attached to the humans' brains, a consensus fed to the humans' brains, but they experience it in pods. Taking this idea into account, we could apply something similar to our reality.

It may be possible that we ourselves are serving a matrix. Think of our selves as when we learn. We are collecting, into our brains, information. We are collecting information as sensual impressions stored into our brains. It has been stated and theorized that everything we learn or sense is stored forever in our brains, yet some may become sub-conscious in which it remains latent. Now that we have collected and learned about reality as information in our brains, we then are able to communicate with other people through an information exchange, all 1's and 0's exchanging with each other. So, there is information, perhaps as an energy unto itself, moving in us and through us, constantly on the move. Now comes the technology.

In order for the technology to work, it requires commands from us. Take the internet as an example. In order to animate the internet, we are required to provide information from our brains as 1's and 0's. As a result of this, information, as those 1's and 0's, has effectively moved from our brains to a new "host", the internet. Now, as a result of this, the internet may perhaps become living or somewhat logical as a human operates with that same information. What this goes to show is that we are now creating our very own matrix, in which we are becoming entangled in something we are creating. We are beginning to animate the technology because we are providing it with the same food our brains use, the information of 1's and 0's. The matrix is truly becoming a reality, if it is not already so.

Perhaps the movie itself was meant to be prohetic, apart from the notion that our reality may already be so. This process can be applied to all our technology.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Well, I've come to terms with the idea that the "matrix" may indeed be a reality after all. I should add that this "coming to terms" is quite comforting!

But there's been something bugging me, and although my time at the computer's been rather limited of late, I re-read a little Jungian philosophy/psychology, and his theory on the "collective unconsciousness" seems to fit this matrix theory rather well - in my opinion anyway.

I realise this is a Science & Technology topic, so it's unlikely to excite the attention of psychology gurus, but their opinions regarding matrix v collective unconsciousness theory would be welcomed. Well. I can dream!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I did a google search and found this link which reports that many scientists do, in fact, believe that no one may be able to see reality, that it's all a dream: onealclan0.tripod.com... The problem of course is that we have no way to prove or disprove it one way or another.

If everything is an illusion and everyone believes the illusions is real, how could we get under the radar to see the reality?

This is a good post. Thanks for opening the discussion.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The link gave me a 404, than I tried
onealclan0.tripod.com...

which revealed, inter alia, the following

"The odds of being one of the people to witness the end of the world are highest when there is the largest number of witnesses around - at present, about one fifth of all the people who have ever lived are alive today. When it is also considered that ninety-nine percent of all species that have ever lived have become extinct, it is not so unlikely that humans could feature among the next statistics. Twenty ways in which this could possibly happen, ranging from the frighteningly likely to the frankly absurd, are detailed below."

A scary page, that one. If any of those scenarios came o pass, then I guess that would serve to disprove the matrix theory. Or would it? I don't thionk I want to know.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
apparently we're just characters in it.
He says the matrix is actually about him - and the world ended a few years ago

www.posi-tone.com...

enjoy

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Lemme get this straight...

We believe what we want to believe? We see only what we want?

So what are we then?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
If we are indeed, serving a Matrix, then could we not "free our minds" so to speak?

By this I mean bend and break the laws of physics. Flying, superhuman strength....

If Neo could do it, I'm sure we could. The Wachowski brothers spent alot of time researching this subject, and I'm sure they wouldn't give Neo god-like powers unless it were actually possible in that scenario.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join