It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on Libya - Am I the only one thinking this?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So we are going in there to stop the Lybia government from killing people......
to do this we go and kill people.

Congress giving approval?.....They are being quiet like their owner's told them to be.
Nothing our government does makes any sense.
What corporate interest will have an advantage by our actions?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Your not alone OP.
This stinks, this is all about money. Western governments and western companies will be the only benefitting from this mock war. The libyan people will be the victims in this, as once the dust settles the western & mutlinational companies will go in and help rebuild these poor peoples lives.
Then when our governments all chip in to pay the costs of rebuilding, YOU and I will have even more TAXES to pay.
Anyone here want to pay more taxes for another useless war, built on yet more lies?

Ps And shouldnt we be defending Freedom fighters and not Rebels?( I thought rebels meant the baddies)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This whole Libyan situation stinks to high heaven.

At first when we (U.S.) were just advocating him not killing protestors, I was all for it. Now, it just feels like this thing has morphed into something entirely different. It doesn't feel like a protest situation anymore. It feels uncomfortably like the West has manufactured this whole scenario for it's own purposes. Since when does the President have the authority to wage war on another country without Congress' approval? There will be those who say that this is not war but, really, how can a thinking person say that bombing 10s of targets in a foreign country isn't WAR??

Don't they call these things 'Police Actions'? Like Vietnam.

Between you and me, the Libyan Military have been sending their officers on 6 to 12 month courses to learn English in the UK over the past five or so years. They have been staying, like exchange students, in the homes of English families. Getting thoroughly accustomed to our ways, Anglicised, if you will. It is just the top that is being taken out (kicking and screaming, as it were)....in my opinion...although the opportunity to identify radicals will no doubt have been taken.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The latest thing I've found on this indicts the U.S. (along with Israel) pretty good: Israel send 50,000 African Mercenaries to Libya 03-03-2011

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
A caller on BBC radio just summarized my feelings:

"I call Gadhafi the Choir Boy, because that's what Mugabe makes him look like. But of course, Mugabe doesn't have any oil."

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Is there any way this could have played out where people wouldn't put it all down to a US/western plot?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

You should be aware that TPTB want to topple middle east governments so they can cut off the supply of oil to the US and other countries. This will allow the price to get high enough so they can open the oil reserves in the US. Then they can get even richer. Libya is one of those countries that must be toppled in a long chain of countries. I don't have a lot of time to provide details but if you want to learn more, research Lindsey Williams and the Georgia Guidestones. It fits a pattern moving toward human enslavement and population reduction which is why I believe Lindsey Williams is right. To get to the goal of enslavement the middle class must be eliminated, specifically in the US. Most countries are under the control of TPTB and that's why the US president can get cooperation from so many countries. Some think this plot is controlled by aliens and I do not know whether it is but it exists and violence in any country will only play into their hands.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Since when does the President have the authority to wage war on another country without Congress' approval?

Who accepted to be part of the UN in 1945?

Who has accepted other similar past no fly zones established by the UN?

Who helps fund the operations of the UN?

Who has yet to pass legislation preventing US from participating in this no fly zone?

And yet, you still believe Congress hasn't given their approval.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
The latest thing I've found on this indicts the U.S. (along with Israel) pretty good: Israel send 50,000 African Mercenaries to Libya 03-03-2011

Oh, they're too good to go themselves? They have to go recruit some loose cannons in a war-torn continent to fight for them?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I agree that this situation is pretty bad. Honestly, I think that it's a scramble to capture as many oil reserves as possible. That is why Obama is in Brazil to try to shore up more oil for the US, since we don't have real money to give them we try to sell them F-18's.

China, Iran, and Russia have formed an alliance and have a nice amount of reserves and will be largely unaffected by a crash in OPEC and the Western markets. That is why China is breaking away from the US Dollar and going to trade in the Yuan.

Of course this is all speculation, but it's just as good as any. I have all the links to the sources to what I have started above on this thread posted earlier: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Since when does the President have the authority to wage war on another country without Congress' approval?

And yet, you still believe Congress hasn't given their approval.

Not officially, have they? That's the puzzling thing to me. I don't like the implications of the piece that may complete that puzzle. Pretty much, one person, or somewhere a very small group, gets to decide that US planes go bomb another country. Isn't the heart of the law that demands Congress's approval to wage war, in place to prevent this very scenario?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Pretty much, one person, or somewhere a very small group, gets to decide that US planes go bomb another country. Isn't the heart of the law that demands Congress's approval to wage war, in place to prevent this very scenario?

I understand the point, but for one there is no war. The UN charter gives the right to interfere for humanitarian purposes and the US gave consent when it adopted the UN.

Then you have the War powers act that says that the President must report to Congress every six months.

(c) Whenever United States Armed Forces are introduced into hostilities or into any situation described in subsection (a) of this section, the President shall, so long as such armed forces continue to be engaged in such hostilities or situation, report to the Congress periodically on the status of such hostilities or situation as well as on the scope and duration of such hostilities or situation, but in no event shall he report to the Congress less often than once every six months.

(b) Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 4(a)(1), whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States.

avalon.law.yale.edu...

If Congress doesn't approve then they should draft legislation or quit picking up the tab.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I just noticed something odd about the UN reolution 1973 giving permission for the no fly zone.

1973 = 7+3+1=11 and 9 >9/11
not ususally into numerology , but there you see it
Bit of a coincidence?

af.reuters.com...

LONDON, March 20 (Reuters) - Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Sunday that one of its submarines had again fired guided Tomahawk missiles as part of a second wave of attacks on Libyan air defence systems. "For a second time, the UK has launched guided Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles from a Trafalgar Class submarine in the Mediterranean as part of a coordinated coalition plan to enforce the resolution," Major General John Lorimer said in an emailed statement. "We and our international partners are continuing operations in support of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973."

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Is it too late for the Nobel Peace Committee to take back that prize?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Sure. If Arab countries would have initiated action instand of France, the UK, and the US. They did it in Bahrain, why not here?

Now the Arab League looks like it is reversing its tacit agreement because things didn't go like they thought.

Note: I'm not for this obvious resource-grab action, just responding to your question.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
damned if you do damned if you don't, either way someones gonna whine at the end of the day he is a maniac and to remove him is not a bad thing. Im getting really fed up with the problems that are being caused just by the technology we ( the west) have introduced because its doing a lot more harm than good. So should we just remove it and let them develop at their own pace ???

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
something to ponder. we didnt care when police forces were shooting and beating people in Tunisia. we didnt care when Egypt was shooting at its citizens.. but now all the sudden we care about Libya????

oil production by country:
barrels per day
Tunisia 86,930
Egypt 630,600
Libya 1,550,000

also of note, Libya is the only country of the 3 in OPEC and theres this.

Oil prices look set to trade higher after Libya bombings

businessgas.wordpress.com...

something to think about...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The only reason the US was involved in any type of invasion is due to oil.
I won't be surprise if this continues down to the rest of the African continent, in the hunt of natural resources.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
With everything that has been going on for the past week or so with Japan...the world has been focused on that disaster...as they well should be. TPTB knew this all too well...and seems to me that such a "natural" disaster was so well timed, shall we say?

Direction to the right hand is kept, while the left hand does its deed...this is all a game...to those without a heart or soul it is nothing more.

This is just the beginning...I remember that there was an agenda...Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan...mentioned in a speech years ago by Papa Bush during Desert Storm. The above mentioned countries were eventually to be "taken over"...old speech, don't know where to look...but I DO remember it because it struck a chord with me.

The US has a plan, it ties into the plans of the rest of the worlds powers...and if all the pieces of the "puzzle" are aloud to come together...it will be too late to do anything about it...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Found this interesting article.

US plans to hand over control of Libyan intervention

The United States plans to hand over primary responsibility for the military operation against Libya to other countries within days, US Defence Secretary Robert Gates says. European and US forces have fired launched cruise missiles at Colonel Gaddafi's air defences and warplanes carried out air strikes for two days, under a UN resolution approving all necessary measures to protect civilians against forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

SOURCE

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join