It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Media Blackout in Japan Regarding Nuke Plant and Tokyo Evacuations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Just wanted to let everyone here know that as of Saturday morning here in northern Japan, I cannot find even one regular (non-cable) tv channel that is discussing the current dire nuclear power plant situation in Fukushima, nor radiation levels around Japan, nor the mass evacuations of US military families, nor the mass fleeing of foreigners and Japanese people in the Tokyo area. Absolutely nothing. Even Kyodo news website has no new live-feed updates this morning. It's like this whole critical situation is being completely blacked-out by the media and government. If there were any good news, I am positive they would be reporting it right now. This is very, very worrying in my opinion. The only updates they have given on tv here recently have been vague, confusing, and contradictory. I fear things are much worse than first thought.

MG
edit on 18-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
do you have cable?

if so is there relevant news on the cable news?
edit on 18-3-2011 by kermithermit111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kermithermit111
youre in japan?

do you have cable?

if so is there relevant news on the cable news?

Yes, in Japan.

No, we don't have cable.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Please tell us everything you know. I have a thread already here : www.abovetopsecret.com... but I have a feeling your first hand account of the blackout will be more telling.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thats very disturbing to hear. What about radio broadcasts?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghosthunter

Please tell us everything you know. I have a thread already here : www.abovetopsecret.com... but I have a feeling your first hand account of the blackout will be more telling.

Good forum user name. Will do.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Last I heard here in the US was that they had gotten electricity connected to the reactors and were still working on cooling things.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
so the non-cable tv has local news channels, and yet they aren't mentioning anything regarding the radiation/nuclear plant status?

if so that is sad, and i would advise staying as up to date as possible via the internet

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
CNN.com

LIVE STREAM: JAPAN TV
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sad and scary but not surprising -- they've been gradually moving to this point for the last couple of days, starting with the blatant lies about how everything is perfectly fine and the smoking wreckage magically healed itself which were then immediately contradicted by about fifty other sources (not to mention basic rational thought). I fear the same is close to being true in the US -- after days of flipping through all the news channels to keep an eye on the propaganda and watch out for slips of real information made by live reporters, I'm not even bothering anymore. The fact that no one seems to be covering the Tokyo Power Company's director breaking down in tears (this is JAPAN, high placed officials giving TV interviews do NOT openly weep in public) and admitting the coverup is very telling, especially since there's some dramatic images of it available.

I think the US went as far as it was willing to go in annoying its ally when it had no choice but to expand Japan's evacuation zone, and is now trying to placate the situation by discouraging the media from humiliating that proud nation any further. Because Japan is now finally accepting help, it doesn't need to put the pressure on through the media, which was the only reason it ever covered as much of this as it did in the first place.

link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
Thats very disturbing to hear. What about radio broadcasts?

Some am radio talk shows frequently hash over old news, but nothing new. Most of the (non-cable) tv news is about rescue stories in the areas hit by the tsunamis, but practically nothing about current radiation levels or the condition of the reactors. Some television talk shows have small models of the reactors and speculate, but media cannot get near them, and the government has been silent. No one seems to know anything. People on tv are very worried. I can see it in their faces and hear it in their voices.

Maybe there will be a press conference later today. Who knows.

link   
reply to post by IndieA

You really must be joking.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Here's a news link.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I would have to guess they are hiding something...

Why else would they not give out info?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
How far away are you from the plants? Could this be a sign that the "miraculous" power cable option has failed? Or worse that meltdown has begun?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
About an hour ago, nhk world was broadcasting live footage of the fukujima plant....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
BREAKING: Firefighters to resume spraying water in reactor in 4 hours time as of this post.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
How far away are you from the plants? Could this be a sign that the "miraculous" power cable option has failed? Or worse that meltdown has begun?

I'm about 550 miles to the northwest.

I think if that power cable had succeeded, the government would make have made an immediate press conference.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonandStar
About an hour ago, nhk world was broadcasting live footage of the fukujima plant....

Thanks for that update. Will check it out.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I do not understand Japan's(Gov and media) approach to this situation, they need to be up front and honest with the people.
They cannot hide it for long (if it is worse than they are reporting), and then they will/should be held accountable for any further harm to people and the enviroment.

The only reason i can see them hiding information is to stop panic, but the people of Japan and the rest of the world deserve to know exactly whats going on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join