It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage Acceptance or No Jobs

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by duality90

Basically, the theory is there will be more skilled workers available for hire if gay marriage is allowed. I haven't seen this actually discussed much in the thread though.

Nobody is threatening to take away jobs unless gay marriage is allowed. The article in the OP makes the case that because some field professionals are gay, they are likely to want to live and work in a state in which they can marry. No federal statute is involved that I'm aware of.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
reply to post by duality90

Basically, the theory is there will be more skilled workers available for hire if gay marriage is allowed. I haven't seen this actually discussed much in the thread though.

Nobody is threatening to take away jobs unless gay marriage is allowed. The article in the OP makes the case that because some field professionals are gay, they are likely to want to live and work in a state in which they can marry. No federal statute is involved that I'm aware of.

That seems fairly reasonable. Do homosexuals make up enough of a percentage of the professional workforce for that need to arise, however?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by mamabeth
I believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman,not same
sex unions.I think that it is wrong to force a lifestyle, that many
find repugnant,onto our society.

Fortunately that opinion is in the minority now. So, please, don't force that repugnant 18th century thinking into todays society.

Why do you believe that opinion is in the minority?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968

Originally posted by intrepid

Fortunately that opinion is in the minority now. So, please, don't force that repugnant 18th century thinking into todays society.

Why do you believe that opinion is in the minority?

Because it's been surveyed. 60% accept homosexual partnerships. 75% of adults 18-34.
So lets repeat. "Don't force that repugnant 18th century thinking into today's society"
Source

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
reply to post by AngryOne

Statistics about what? How many gay people there are? How many gays have raised children? Stats on the quality of life of said children vs those raised in a traditional or other non-traditional house hold?

Your going to have to be more specific; it would be best if you just posted the stats yourself, because as they say: you can lead a fag to a vagina but you can't make him # it.

Well, here's some interesting stuff.
Take it or leave it.

Not that I'm necessarily saying it's all true (I wouldn't know); than again, maybe it is.....

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1502263/posts

edit on 24-3-2011 by AngryOne because: Just had to clean it up.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
.....Okay, I'll admit that that link did, upon closer inspection, come off as awfully biased.

Oh well. Check this out.
www.wnd.com/?pageId=13722

Just throwing it out there. Again, take it or leave it.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
.....Okay, I'll admit that that link did, upon closer inspection, come off as awfully biased.

Oh well. Check this out.
www.wnd.com/?pageId=13722

Just throwing it out there. Again, take it or leave it.

you can't be serious

WND is a known christian, evangelical, backed conservative site. The "Council For National Policy" is another known evangelical christian conservative organization founded by Tom Lahaye whose views on homosexuality are well known. The woman quoted in this article "Judith Reisman" is a psudoscientist, among one of her repugnant views is that gay people are at fault for the rise of nazi germany and their own persecution in concentration camps. I'm not going to even give credence to the rest of the BS in the article. This little pet conspiracy theory of evangelical bible thumpers, that gays are supposedly more likely to be pedophiles, has already been proven a crock of #$%* time and time again by ACTUAL SCIENTISTS.

Using the fixated-regressed distinction, Groth and Birnbaum (1978) studied 175 adult males who were convicted in Massachusetts of sexual assault against a child. None of the men had an exclusively homosexual adult sexual orientation.

Other researchers have taken different approaches, but have similarly failed to find a connection between homosexuality and child molestation. Dr. Carole Jenny and her colleagues reviewed 352 medical charts, representing all of the sexually abused children seen in the emergency room or child abuse clinic of a Denver children's hospital during a one-year period (from July 1, 1991 to June 30, 1992). The molester was a gay or lesbian adult in fewer than 1% in which an adult molester could be identified – only 2 of the 269 cases (Jenny et al., 1994).

Are homosexual adults in general sexually attracted to children and are preadolescent children at greater risk of molestation from homosexual adults than from heterosexual adults? There is no reason to believe so. The research to date all points to there being no significant relationship between a homosexual lifestyle and child molestation. There appears to be practically no reportage of sexual molestation of girls by lesbian adults, and the adult male who sexually molests young boys is not likely to be homosexual (Groth & Gary, 1982, p. 147).

Source: psychology.ucdavis.edu...

You Christian bible thumpers need to stop spreading lies, as in RIGHT NOW. Nobody goes around saying that Christian are more likely to be child molesters just because a bunch of priests molested their alter boys, (and you'd be able to make a much better case for Christians being a bunch of child molesters given the history than gay people). So seriously, just stop it already. The only reason people like you are pushing this view is because you are completely blinded by your own hate and bigotry and you have failed to see that the whole pedophilia-gay myth has been put to rest, it's decided...and the answer is no...gay people are no more likely to be pedophiles than straights.

I can't believe in this day and age, we're still having to deal with this type of ignorance among the population. unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by meeneecat

I am NOT a Christian. And as I said, the link in question (EDIT:Uh-the first one that I posted,at least) DOES seem kind of silly.
That doesn't make it completely baseless, though.
But regarding information like this, there seems to be so many (VERY HIGHLY) conflicting reports; I'm not sure if we'll ever know the truth about any of this.....
edit on 24-3-2011 by AngryOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I am a christian and I liked the links you posted.
I am thinking of emailing them to my former pastor.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

reply to post by meeneecat

I am NOT a Christian. And as I said, the link in question (EDIT:Uh-the first one that I posted,at least) DOES seem kind of silly.
That doesn't make it completely baseless, though.
But regarding information like this, there seems to be so many (VERY HIGHLY) conflicting reports; I'm not sure if we'll ever know the truth about any of this.....
edit on 24-3-2011 by AngryOne because: (no reason given)

It depends greatly on the sample size really, and the various types of child molestation that occur. It's a psychological nightmare. I mean, some people molest children because they have a childish attraction that they are channeling into sex. Others do it out of revenge for something they feel they missed. Others do it for the sake of taking a child's innocence. Trying to equate any of these factors specifically to an orientation that is attracted to adults of the same gender is just crazy.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Trying to equate any of these factors specifically to an orientation that is attracted to adults of the same gender is just crazy.

Nobody said that all gays are pedophiles or that all pedophiles are gay. Of course not!
But just from what I can gather, it seems as if there IS indeed a large correlation between the two.
Just Google "homosexuality+pedophilia" to see what I mean.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I would say there only seems to be a correlation because it is focused on by several religious groups. When you have someone directly opposing something, they can make it look like anything.

I bet I could prove that liking a certain color or food leads to a higher incidence of any crime. It's all about the sample size and the various factors that caused the molestations. How many of the homosexual molesters said that they wanted to do little boys because they were gay? Or was the argument always that they just liked kids?

Liking kids and liking your same gender is not the same thing, not even a similar food group

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
A survey can produce any result you want it to. Don't get the result you wanted, do another survey. Try and Try again. Unfortunatly there is no such thing as an unbiased survey, well, there is, but only the person who took the survey can know if it is unbiased or not.

To answer the point of the thread, as members have pointed out, it is actually stating that there may be job losses as gay people move away or choose not to work in an area where gay marriage is not legal. I really can't see where the problem with that is, in so far as, why would anyone want to continue working in an area where they are being oppressed.

Imagine for a second the roles were reversed and gay couple were the majority, would you like to work in an area where straight marriages were not allowed? I very much doubt you would. I would like to know what difference it would personally make to 'you', whether two men/women were living together un-married; or living together married? The only real difference is to them, so why should any of us be allowed to go in and say to two consenting adults that they shouldn't be allowed to marry?

Perhaps slightly off-topic, and feel free mods to edit out this section of my post, but to those saying they think it should be kept out of public view etc.

Are you also of the view that heterosexual couples should keep their sexual actions out of view?
Do you also condemn the many straight couples that partake in anal sex?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I am a christian and I liked the links you posted.
I am thinking of emailing them to my former pastor.

hahaha plainly missing the irony of that statement in light of the post made in response to them.

Not trying to have a go at you but man... the guy (who I'm taking at face-value like everything on ATS) pretty much did all the explanation necessary.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Varemia

Trying to equate any of these factors specifically to an orientation that is attracted to adults of the same gender is just crazy.

Nobody said that all gays are pedophiles or that all pedophiles are gay. Of course not!
But just from what I can gather, it seems as if there IS indeed a large correlation between the two.
Just Google "homosexuality+pedophilia" to see what I mean.

There is no correlation between homosexuality and paedophilia.

One is a genuine sexual orientation toward the same sex and the other is a sexual deviance not particular to a gender, other than to the actual inherant orientation.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

I was not surprised, when it was brought to my attention, that
major manufacture industries could suffer if the states upholds
their gay marriage bans.
Using possible job loses, if the states don't overturn gay marriage
bans, is the epitome of stupidity.

www.ibj.com...

Well thank goodness there are more people on here who think like I do.

I also believe it is just insane to force a lifestyle that I find repugnant onto society. Especially lifestyle choices that are Bigoted, Violent, Cause division between people and allow for the denigration of groups and pretty much force people to be a slave to someone whether they want to or not.

It goes way beyond marriage. There are groups in America that have been threatening to torture me with fire for all eternity, unless I submit to their demands and rituals, and this has been happening all of my life.

We should band together to rid our country Nay, The World, from these insidious groups for the sakes and future of all of our children.

Who can get behind that idea???

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman

Fine. If you're a woman, marry a man and vice versa. No one is forcing you to marry someone of your same gender. Other people's marriages are not your business.

Actually others people marriage is my business because it is forbidden by the majority of world religions including judaism, christianity, and islam.

It is forbidden like murder, rape, theft, lying, cheating, and to top it off homosexuality.

So it is of my concern. Thanks

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman

Fine. If you're a woman, marry a man and vice versa. No one is forcing you to marry someone of your same gender. Other people's marriages are not your business.

Actually others people marriage is my business because it is forbidden by the majority of world religions including judaism, christianity, and islam.

It is forbidden like murder, rape, theft, lying, cheating, and to top it off homosexuality.

So it is of my concern. Thanks

No your beliefs and your customs are your business. Once you start poking your nose into other people business, then you open the door to have your business poked into.

Non religious populations are growing at 3x the rate that religious people are having babies. So unless you want to try to murder off all the non religious people in the next decade or so, eventually your grandchildren or great grandchildren are going to be subjected to the levels of intrusion that you want to impose on others currently.

I think religion is what should be banned. It's the single greatest creator of war and murder on this planet. But I don't run around protesting and waiving crazy signs at people, because I respect the idea that people should be free to choose how they want to live.

So if gays can't marry because of all the potentially damaging effects it can have on societies and the American family, then we damn well better start investigating all the ways that religion causes harm and damages societies.
And let our first case study in American History of religious damage come that little Town in Massachusetts. Salem I think it was! Yeah that's it.
Lets look to Salem to tell us about how Religion can affect our American Families.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

Organized religion is a killer, not individual religion. Crazy leaders talk and brainwash the people. It is not religion, it is the corrupt leaders who are to blame.

Now having said that, the only reason more and more non-believers are growing is because this world is going corrupt and towards the end of time near armageddon, the world will lose its godliness. The armies of god with angels on the side of believers will strike down all those who do not believe in the one true god.

Those who commit murder, rape, homosexuality, theft, adultery, etc...

They will be sliced in half by the swords of the angels how a laser slices through butter. No army in the world will be able to stop it. Not the US military, not Russia, not china, not al quada. They are coming, believe me, the gay marriage people are on the list of people.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Those who commit murder, rape, homosexuality, theft, adultery, etc...

The fact that you compare murder, theft and rape (hint - there is an actual victim) with homosexuality and adultery only proves how insane you are. Fortunately, there is a separation of church and state in developed world, so your primitive ramblings of ancient sheep herders will only serve to delude yourself even more.

They will be sliced in half by the swords of the angels how a laser slices through butter. No army in the world will be able to stop it. Not the US military, not Russia, not china, not al quada. They are coming, believe me, the gay marriage people are on the list of people.

Yeah, and evil lord Ctulhu will soon arise from the dark abyss.
Lots of people suffering from mental disorder called religion were saying this for millenia now. It is no more believable than a bedtime story we tell our children. Grow up.

edit on 28/3/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/3/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join