It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burning out lightbulbs and other electrical issues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Mods - I was not sure where this should be placed; please move if I've placed it wrongly - thanks!

I was wondering if anyone else has had the experience of burning or shattering out lightbulbs, streetlamps, or other electronic devices.

Statistics aren't really available on this matter, so I am turning to ATS for others' experiences.

The only really dangerous event happened about 2 years ago. I was at a party at a friend's house, in a good mood, having fun, etc. I was on the back porch chatting and telling jokes with a few others. Not intoxicated. My friend whose house it was had the porch light on, which was powered by a high-power fluorescent bulb... basically, the swirly kind.

They have an alleged lifespan of 10,000 hours.

I was standing about 10 feet away from the bulb when it suddenly shattered, leaving glass all over the place and the light fixture itself shattered also. Sparks flew for probably 5 seconds until we went to the front of the house and turned off the circuit breaker.

I asked my friend when the last time he changed it was, and he had replaced all of the standard indoor and outdoor bulbs to fluorescent bulbs to save energy about a month beforehand. The others were really freaked out; thankfully no one was hurt. It is a newer house with modern wiring performed by a competent electrician.

Other incidents in which the bulb did not shatter, but burned out faster than expected and without any warning, have been happening around me since I was a child. When I go out driving or walking at night, streetlamps often go dark. This has happened to me in several cities/towns in which I have lived. I realize these things happen, but it has got to be beyond coincidence. I have lost count of the times.

This morning my full-spectrum desk lamp (the kind with the 4-pronged bulb) which I have had for less than a month started glowing orange as to two prongs, trying to light up with a third, and completely dark with the fourth. I turned it off immediately. It was plugged into a power strip

I have also cr*pped out two Blackberry phones, three chargers, a wired headset, an Ipod, and two TI-85 calculators. I have panic disorder and fibromyalgia (both only mildly medicated through my psychiatrist and mostly in remission). I have a radiation screen and a fan on my computer. I cannot own a microwave; if one is operating around me I always know (even without hearing it) and it makes me a little queasy. This has been a problem at restaurants. I am in general good health for a 30 year old woman; don't get sick often, exercise, eat a good diet, etc. I have food allergies (tomatoes and nightshade family primarily - runs in my family) and medication allergies (penicillin and codeine). That's about it. I do not experience hallucinations or delusions; my interest in conspiracy theory began as debunking and continued as personal research and discussion once I learned a bit more. I wouldn't call myself a conspiracy theorist; more an interested person with a taste for information and learning on many subjects. I have a boring day job. I have never seen a ghost.

My doctor is at the point where even he is baffled. He thought this was all in my head/psychosomatic at first. Then I made the list of what I could recall of what I have blown out. This is an Ivy League trained psychiatrist with whom I have an excellent therapeutic rapport, and he's been practicing medicine for 25+ years. He actually listens to me and does not try to stick me on any drugs that are scary to me. I am not chemically sensitive that I know of; no problems with wifi either and no major power lines or generators in the vicinity.

We just don't know what to do with me. What happened to my lamp today was the absolute last straw. Therefore, I am coming to ATS for answers - does this kind of thing happen to anyone else? What are your experiences/stories?

Is this what EMF sensitivity looks like?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

edit on 18/3/11 by gildedlily because: fixed code, I hope

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I was living in a small appartment 2 years ago and it came to a point, that one day ALL (not kidding) the lights started failing and became orange, then they came back to normal, and then orange again... failing like that all the time. It happened very often for about a month, and during that time we tried changing the bulbs and all that, but the problem remained. Then after a month or so it suddenly came back to normal. Now I've moved and I am living in a fairly big house, and only THIS month I can tell you the lights from all the rooms failed three times in a row, we changed the bulbs and the plugs and it is still failing, right now only the lights from my bathroom and my room are working. All other rooms are "blacked out" right now, and we tried changing the bulbs already. No electric failures on equipments though, just the lights.

Hope my experience was of some help.

edit on 18-3-2011 by kromaion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
could it be you have an strong magnetic field ive heard about this alot (sorry i cant remember where)

Abstruse as it may seem on a superficial level, there is indeed a connection between superstring theory, post-quantum mechanics, anatomy and physiology, psychology and the communication discipline with regard to interpersonal communication. The question is fundamental, based upon the understanding that our very consciousness is at least theoretically quantifiable in the sense that physics intends; that our very physical bodies may be aerials that can simultaneously transmit EM energy to and receive EM energy from our physical environment

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
When I was about ten years old my babysitter stuck a spirit board in the hands of

about six of us kids. She showed us how to do it. The very first question we ask, it

blew a light bulb that was not even on, into a thousand pieces. The light got very bright

then exploded. I am drawing no conclusions from this. Just always thought it was strange.

For as long as I can remember, street lights on occasions will burn out as I go by them.

The wife thinks it strange. However, I have worked with lots of advanced electronics most

of my life. This could all mean nothing, except I could relate to your post....Good Luck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Its okay the earth got and has been hit by gravity waves of stretching spacetime

edit on 18-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Don't feel too badly, love. I have issues with glass. If I am stressed out, glass objects within 4 to 6 feet of me break. Not just break mind you...when I was 7 mom had just gotten a glass ashtray out to use it, and mind you this was a heavy one- I stopped to ask her something when the dern thing broke cleanly in half! It freaked us both out! Patio door? Crack crack smack... there it went. One time when my ex and I were having an argument in his parked car, the windshield cracked all the way across! No, to those who would say that it was temp change with a nick, because this was a new truck with no nicks in the glass. I've opened doors only to have them shatter into a million pieces. You might want to see if there are tests to check your personal electrical signature...you might find something like that at a medical college or something.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikkibee
could it be you have an strong magnetic field ive heard about this alot (sorry i cant remember where)

Abstruse as it may seem on a superficial level, there is indeed a connection between superstring theory, post-quantum mechanics, anatomy and physiology, psychology and the communication discipline with regard to interpersonal communication. The question is fundamental, based upon the understanding that our very consciousness is at least theoretically quantifiable in the sense that physics intends; that our very physical bodies may be aerials that can simultaneously transmit EM energy to and receive EM energy from our physical environment

This is an explanation I find plausible. I have always been fascinated by the human mind and hold an undergrad degree in psychology, which has been useless to me occupationally as I did not take it further. A friend who *claims* to be psychic (I am completely dubious on this and consider it a case of unwarranted self-importance on his part - he's got no confirmed predictions whatsoever) says that it is unambiguous to him that I am an "Indigo Child". Yet I have never had problems with learning or authority as long as I am interested in the subject and the authority figure is fair to me.

I have, however, studied astrology since I was a young teen. I am more interested in world events (talk about overtime lately!) and abstract principles than answering questions like "when will I get married" etc. I am definitely not psychic. At times, I do feel as though I have premonitions about both good and bad things, though they are very non-specific. I have had a lot of situations in life that could have gone badly, but did not, because I simply kept my wits about me. I knew something was up even when I did not know what, specifically, it was.

Also of possible relevance is that I am horrendously directionally impaired. My GPS (newish, generally very good) will cr*p out on me spontaneously at times and I live in a city that is relatively new to me. Clearly, I carry a map wherever I go!

It is definitely not out of the realm of possibility that I might be a walking antenna.
I would like to see more research on these matters, and I have starred all of the personal stories. Please keep them coming!

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I feel less alone now.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
Don't feel too badly, love. I have issues with glass. If I am stressed out, glass objects within 4 to 6 feet of me break. Not just break mind you...when I was 7 mom had just gotten a glass ashtray out to use it, and mind you this was a heavy one- I stopped to ask her something when the dern thing broke cleanly in half! It freaked us both out! Patio door? Crack crack smack... there it went. One time when my ex and I were having an argument in his parked car, the windshield cracked all the way across! No, to those who would say that it was temp change with a nick, because this was a new truck with no nicks in the glass. I've opened doors only to have them shatter into a million pieces. You might want to see if there are tests to check your personal electrical signature...you might find something like that at a medical college or something.

Something similar happened to me last summer (a wine glass shattered) when I had a nasty little conversation with my father. It was a silly argument over my having left a couple dishes in the sink - my father is a total neat freak and the dishes had been there roughly an hour. I was relaxing with a book and my glass of wine as he was sulking in the other room (after having done the dishes to keep the peace) - I was visiting him for a weekend; he was in a bad mood from work.

When my father came out of his room - probably to check that I had done the dishes properly - and I just went "what the heck is with this nitpickiness" to myself. At that point, the wine glass shattered. There is no possibility anything could have bumped it, as I was curled up on the couch with the wine glass on the coffee table (about 4 feet away) and the cat was outside.

This is really nothing in comparison with your door and the windshield - that's quite serious, please be careful!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
As far as lightbulbs suddenly burning out go's. They're designed with minute airholes in them so they burn out over time. So the fillament burns out and you have to buy new ones. The very first light bulb ever made is still burning to this day because it wasn't made in this way. An electrician told me this when this happened to me a few years ago with two seperate bulbs which blew and left a black scum within the bulb.

I know this wont be the case with all bulbs though mine were just cheap. Ive had instances of light bulbs falling out of thy're sockets and sudden flickering. I've always put it down to dodgy electrics and fixtures but who knows.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I remember about a year ago before I forgot my iPod in the washing machine, I put it in its dock and started playing music in the bathroom as I took a shower. I hadn't even turned on the water when the techno music changed to Go Daddy-o!, a song that wasn't even on the playlist. I ignored it at first, but after the third or fourth time of this happening, the lightbulbs would dim down and turn grey-ish.
Now I just make sure someone can be there waiting for me right outside the door in case I scream.

BTW I'd love to see your electric "intolerance" in action.

edit on 3/18/2011 by Elaethyr because: Je ne sais quoi? >.>

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elaethyr
I remember about a year ago before I forgot my iPod in the washing machine, I put it in its dock and started playing music in the bathroom as I took a shower. I hadn't even turned on the water when the techno music changed to Go Daddy-o!, a song that wasn't even on the playlist. I ignored it at first, but after the third or fourth time of this happening, the lightbulbs would dim down and turn grey-ish.
Now I just make sure someone can be there waiting for me right outside the door in case I scream.

BTW I'd love to see your electric "intolerance" in action.

edit on 3/18/2011 by Elaethyr because: Je ne sais quoi? >.>

Whoa... that's crazy! The Ipod was only about a year old and had never been exposed to water. It was in a case and had not been bumped around in my bag too much.

I bought a replacement bulb this afternoon and just installed it. Everything appears to be working normally for now. I have already (responsibly) disposed of the other - my full-spectrum desk lamp has done a lot for my depression in this weather. I don't want to give it up. But yeah, bright orange at the bottom two of four prongs. I was shocked it didn't catch on fire.

Other things I have (possibly) burned out: Christmas lights that were brand new, a burner on my electric stove (that one had to get professionally fixed), a car battery in a week-old car, but mostly it's confined to lightbulbs and streetlamps.

I truly have no telekinetic or psychic ability beyond those weird feelings at times. I don't feel as though those count. As for live demonstrations... it just kind of happens. I've tried focusing on streetlamps to see if I can do it on command; doesn't work. There is truly no method to the madness. I did have a light in the meat department flicker at the grocery store today.

I'd take the James Randi test for $1M if I could do it on command. The closest streetlamp to my house is presently burned out. Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I've had many experiences now with SLI (Street Light Interference) and general techno/electro kinesis. It all started when I quit weed cold turkey at the age of 17. At the time I was highly addicted, I pretty much needed it to sleep at night. So when I quit, I ended up not being able to sleep at all for at least 3 or 4 days maybe longer (I'm 26 now so this was a long time ago). When you are awake for that long, your mind goes into over-drive and you feel extremely alert and switched on.

At the time I was very interested in the paranormal, I had been experimenting with psi and telekinesis. Being in this switched on state of mind, I began to achieve mind over matter. It started funnily enough when I went to the toilet. I was standing there, urinating normally but I decided to see if I could mentally curve the stream to one side. Suddenly, it started working! After this I decided to see what else I might be able to manipulate. I began cloud busting, stopping and moving clouds, making them grow bigger, making them cover up the sun or reveal the sun on command. I made the wind gust really strong, I made the clouds turn grey and start to rain, which turned into a huge storm! I could actually make lightening strike by triggering it with my mind! Later on that night, I was so confident in my abilities, I was looking at a street light outside and thought to myself "I can turn you off" so I concentrated and pictured it in its off-state using my focus to direct my intent. Suddenly I felt a huge surge of will power rise up in me (this was an amazing feeling) and at that exact moment the light turned off.

The next day, I drove past it with a friend and it was back on but as we drove past it, I wasn't even intending this, it exploded! my friend was like "holy # did you see that?!" I sort of just laughed and said "yeah" thinking to myself "that was me". By this point, it felt like I had a huge tidal wave of energy following behind me everywhere I went. I still hadn't been able to sleep and my body was getting really worn out. That night I decided to drink some alcohol to get to sleep which worked. When I woke up in the morning my mind was so scrambled! I had some really intense dreams, and when I awoke I had a vivid image of a skull n bones and the number 666.

My mind deteriorated throughout the day and I ended up in a mental hospital. I quickly lost that mind-over-matter ability, but to this day I still do have some remnants of that ability. Mainly the ability to effect the weather and lights. I've found that certain emotions and emotional states can trigger it. It makes sense... the word emotion means energy in motion, and when you consider that everything at its core level is energy, and everything is connected, and that we are electromagnetic beings by nature then its not too far-fetched to think that we can effect our surroundings.

Well take what you will from this, I'm not going to try and defend what I experienced... either you believe me or you don't, either way if you've read this far then you've just read a very interesting story!

edit on 19-3-2011 by Eonnn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The old lightbulbs could handle fluctuations in the Hertz Frequency/Voltage levels from power company fluctuations.

The new light bulbs have a circuit board in them with resistors and capacitors and rely on a steady rate of HZ/voltage. Any fluctuation will fry the circuit board, causing the new light bulbs to catch on fire/explode.

When you have Guam electricity...you learn quickly those new lightbulbs can't handle power fluctuations.

They are poison bombs waiting to release mercury vapor into your home or burn it down.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't know exactly what causes it, but it's a form of involuntary psychokinesis. At least you aren't manifesting a poltergeist. There are a lot of factors that go in to giving a person that "ability", and anything on that would be idle speculation at best, as I don't know your life. A buddy of mine, however, "cured" himself of it by meditating regularly, and with things like this, that usually does work, whatever the root of the problem. If it's a trick of the mind, meditation can help you discern that and not be bothered by it any longer; if it's fuh reals, meditation can give you more control over what your energetic systems are doing and you can keep it from happening.

I would recommend meditating daily, from ten to 30 minutes per day, focusing on your breath, and keep going for at least a few weeks after your problem is cured. I'm not sure how negative skeptics view meditation, but I figure if you're a typical person, you will quit once you don't kill the lights any longer. If you stop meditating, the cumulative benefits should keep you from blowing out the lights for a while, if not permanently; if it starts again and you've quit meditating, just rinse and repeat the same process.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Eonnn: Sounds like you had a nasty mental break from quitting weed cold turkey. Awful! I experience frequent insomnia - not for that reason. It takes a lot to tire me out even though I do not generally drink caffeine (maybe a cup of green tea a day) and I don't use any other stimulants. Hope you're doing OK now.

I mentioned this in another recent thread asking about compass readings, so this could relate to something going on with the Earth/satellites. I was driving somewhere unfamiliar, by myself, on a date with a guy I don't know all that well yet; stressed out because I was late. I missed a turn and the GPS went totally wrong, taking me west when I should have been going east! My Blackberry GPS was correct and the analog compass I brought out for a little test today are fine.

Last night I got home TOTALLY stressed out and "whatever" from a very boring downer of a date - he couldn't stop talking about his mental problems (rather severe as I found out), his divorce, his bratty children, s***ty job, you get the idea. I got home, got out of the car, immediately the light in my parking lot above my car blew. It does not have a motion sensor. The light in the laundry room (in my basement) has also been flickering; the one in the building next door (outside where I park) is completely blown. The streetlight I mentioned in a previous post was still out.

I am noticing an increase in stress in my life. I am relatively new to my city and don't know a lot of people, I work for my family who are ~600 miles away, starting a new business, so I am CONSTANTLY on conference calls, etc. I'm working on getting a "real" job and taking some classes. I feel very unsettled in general. I am told by other metaphysical people that I do give off a lot of energy (in a positive sense). I do find I can pick up on others' emotions easily; all too easily at times, and that if a close friend is feeling either well or badly I can usually tell. I am also a "beacon" for unconventional people of all types.

That's neat that you can manipulate the weather. You should go work for HAARP! If you can beam some energy over to the Pacific NW, it'd be nice to see some blue skies.

Pervius, my area was affected by a 6-hour power outage last Sunday (day after the earthquake/tsunami). It was due to very high winds/rain that knocked out a power line. This lamp was plugged into a power strip. I did forget to turn it off when the power went out, so when it came back on, so did the lamp. That may have had something to do with it. Would it be your suggestion that I go back to conventional lighting? I've blown those out too!

nithaiah, I am going to take your suggestion to heart about meditation. I've looked up some classes in my area and am planning to take a trip to the library to get out some books. I have had success with stress management through Hakomi therapy, traditional cognitive-behavioral therapy, and medication (this was a real last resort). Even when I was practicing yoga regularly, though, it did not cease.

Beyond meditation, I think I'm going to try to actively manipulate this. Maybe it's some kind of strange superpower that I can develop to the benefit of myself and others. This was mentioned in another thread, but I do have a keen sense when other cars on the road are in my blind spots as well/when I am being followed, etc.

I will surely report back any findings.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have also had the streetlamp going off and on experience when I walk by. And it just so happens that the streetlamp across the street from my house is blinking off and on all the time now too. Strange.

As a side note - my mother-in-law cannot wear watches because they burn-out, stop working, etc., when placed on her body. She has always been this way and does not know why.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gildedlily

Oh boy, yeah with that kinda stress I'm surprised you aren't knocking the all lights out on your block!
exaggerating a bit, but yowza.

Taking a meditation class could be a very good idea if you want to learn how to harness this power you've got. (as is hitting up the library... books are awesome) Odds are there will be a few people in the class who play with their energy, and might give you some instruction or tips, and maybe even practice with you. This kind of thing, even though it has its basis within, is a lot easier if there's someone in the flesh to guide you.

The guy who taught me about chi energy was a theatre teacher by trade. One day I was the only one who showed up to class, and he decided on an alternative lesson plan. By the end of the class, we were chucking lightweight chi balls at each other like dorks and having way too much fun with a typically serious pursuit.

I hope your experiences with this in the future are more along those lines. It's serious business, yes...but levity is darn near vital, too. Best of luck to you!

edit on 20-3-2011 by nithaiah because: forgot a preposition, whuh oh

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nithaiah

Oh boy, yeah with that kinda stress I'm surprised you aren't knocking the all lights out on your block!
exaggerating a bit, but yowza.

You aren't kidding. I've learned a lot about stress management, as I've had panic disorder my entire adult life. It's weird that most people that know me in person consider me a peaceful presence and have said so on multiple occasions. I take a small dose of Valium every 48 hours and Xanax as needed - both prescribed by my shrink. I'd like to be off both someday. Not yet, clearly.

I am accepting of the fact that I do indeed have a life that's far from stress-free. I travel a lot for work and volunteer, and I have a relatively active social life in both the places out of where I am based.

The faulty lamp is at it again; same deal as last time with the orange bulbs and one not working at all. I unplugged the lamp, put it in a different room, and am waiting to turn it back on. It may very well be a fault in the lamp. I will rule this out by returning it and getting a different one, with credit for the $8 replacement bulb.

The streetlight is still not back on as of yesterday night.

I've got a personal errand which I would really rather not do (involving two other hyper-stressed people and a baby) tonight. I won't know where I am going and will have to depend on one or two GPS units; barring that, my map and my bearings. I anticipate being fine as I am as prepared as a person in the situation of hating driving and being directionally impaired can be.

Does anyone else who burns out lights have issues with anxiety or directional impairment?

Wow would I ever be screwed in an EMP event!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It happens.

Don't stress about it.

I put out street lights on a pretty regular basis. They come back on when I move away. Most evenings my wife and I go get some exercise together. I usually wait for her outside and about two out of three nights at least one of the street lights goes out. I'm also very hard on watches. Now, I wear scuba diving watches and they seem to last. If I put on a regular watch, it will be dead in about 3 months.

Once again, don't worry about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The thing that bothers me is that you said sparks flew out until you flipped the breaker. You say this is in a newer house? If that's true your friend had better get the breaker box checked because if it's working right it's impossible for that kind of short not to instantly flip the breaker automatically.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join