It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Finally admit leak will kill people...head of plant breaks down in tears

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Radiation From Japan Reaches California

Link to KSBW.com www.ksbw.com...

It goes on to say trace amounts have been detected in Sacramento. Im just an to the North. I doubt this is the worst we are going to see. This is just the beginning.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

Radiation has reached CA

Link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What I find scary/ telling is that if the Japanese can't pull off nuclear energy production safely, who can? They are fanatical about safety (imo) and light yeears ahead of the rest of the world in technology.
We (the human race) has *really* stepped in it this time.

God Bless them!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhateverHappens

very trace amounts though. that's they key statement.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
i want to know why they wont just cover the reactors and plant in a tomb of cement. of course it wont stop the radiation thats already out, but it will help prevent more from escaping.

as much as this sucks for the japanese people, and i feel absolutely horrible for them...this leads me to believe that there is something more going on if they havent used one of the easiest methods to contain this leak.
edit on 18-3-2011 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

I heard (i dont know what network this was because it was 5am and i had yet to caffeinate) but I heard that was the next option they were going to pursue I imagine that now they've admitted they've been covering things up this might not be that far from happening...at least i should hope so

link   

Originally posted by onyx718
reply to post by harrytuttle

I'm guessing this is more in relation to the people working on and near the reactors and in the cities surrounding rather than 6000 miles away at that point. Only very low levels (pretty much unreadable ones) may have hit the coast. I say may have because there hasn't been significant enough spikes to suggest any significant new radiation has arrived so we don't even know if its hit yet

To the contrary - according to this AP article, it has already reached the US:

(AP) -- Radioactive fallout from Japan's crippled nuclear plant has reached Southern California but the first readings are far below levels that could pose a health hazard, a diplomat said Friday.

The diplomat, who has access to radiation tracking by the U.N.'s Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization, cited readings from a California-based measuring station of the group.

Keep in mind - these people aren't just measuring generic radiation, they are able to identify the isotopes and match them to the known and registered source nation.
edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

link   
There are a bunch of folks on ATS that have said this isnt going to be as bad. I hope they understand that IT IS. I think this is a telling sign,that its going to get worse,for the world.

link   
reply to post by XelNaga

you know I was thinking the same thing!
Its absolutely devastating.. I sure hope for the best though.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

i hadn't seen that before posting

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
horribly sad...

it must have really hurt to tell us the truth.

For I could feel his pain from the other side of the WORLD.

God bless you Japan..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We should all be ashamed of ourselves, yes me included. Why does mother nature have to step in for us humans to give compassion for one another?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This seems very unlike the Japanese. My guess is that the US asked them to keep things hush hush for as long as possible.

And for those of you on the west coast. They keep reporting "small amounts" of radiation reaching the US. The bulk of the radiation won't hit until Monday, so remain vigilant and stay safe.
edit on 18-3-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I can't help but feel very bad for this man. He must feel like the whole world is blaming him. I would tell him he is wrong. There is no one person to blame. We are all to blame before that is the case. This needs to go away quickly. Encase them all in a sarcoffacouse. They must do this immediatly.

Just gets harder to fight back the tears.
edit on 18-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

hahahaha are you kidding me? The Japanese are notoriously isolationist and tight lipped.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kathael

Personally, I dont think it was all face saving. I am familiar with the culture too, so I dont totally discount that, but I think part of it was irrational hope that they COULD get it under control. Sometimes people go into denial when the SHTF.

They are human, not machines. They are tired, afraid, hungry, emotional, grief stricken, you name it, and they were still trying their best to get a good outcome. Some people are risking their lives to minimize the danger to others.

I blame them less than I blame the people hounding them for "the absolute truth" when they probably couldnt know it while they were trying frantically to deal with all of the variables.

I think people should just get off the judgment kick and let them deal with it.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Now that is a picture that you don't want to see!

I am angry at GE for selling this reactor and telling everybody it is safe. The moment this accident occurred we were again told by multiple industry and goverment sources how "safe" nuclear energy is and how it is an "important part of our energy future". Outrageous if you ask me! We have known nuke power was dangerous from the beginning and, in its relatively short history, we have a number of serious accidents that threaten humanity and the world.

What will it take to stop these arrogant greedy bastards from killing or maiming humanity?! Nuclear power IS NOT SAFE! Look at that man's face of shame and grief.

I had to tell my small child there was no danger to him this morning thanks to GE! Fact is I am not completely sure if that is true. And this sick part is that nuclear power is NOT NECESSARY!

We have a choice people. They tell us we have no choice but to accept nuclear power. That is a LIE!

My God this accident could completely destory Japan! Does that seem "safe" to you?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Outrageous if you ask me! We have known nuke power was dangerous from the beginning and, in its relatively short history, we have a number of serious accidents that threaten humanity and the world.

What will it take to stop these arrogant greedy bastards from killing or maiming humanity?! Nuclear power IS NOT SAFE! Look at that man's face of shame and grief.

Tell me. How many people have died securing oil, including the wars to stabilize the oil bearing regions, refinery disasters, oil drilling disasters, pollution, etc., compared to how many people who have died because of accidents in nuclear reactors?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You do realize the plant was built about 40 years ago and was designed for a less of scenario than the one currently provided? If it was built in today's standards, this would be a whole different situation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I don't judge them for being somewhat reserved with the truth BUT I think that instead of saying everything is fine, I honestly think it would have been more respecatble of them to say they were uncertain of many things going on. To me, while it not make people the most calm at least it's not outright deceptive to this point.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join