It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Sorry, just wanted to ask - what is the purpose of the UN? 10 countries agree to stop the dictator, 5 just did not know what to say. They could not say NO as they would be seen as supporting the mass-killings. They cannot say YES for economical or political reasons.At least they got the decency to allow the other 10 countries to help the people at least in the last moment. It could be already too late, but my hope is that pockets of opposition will now emerge again from the areas under control of Gaddaffi. And for the people criticizing the help given to the rebels - you did not live under dictatorship, DID YOU ?? And for the American people - i know you are concerned about the financial side of this issue (the cost of this operation ) however US will not be the main player this time, i guess EU will make most of the expenses.Let us hope the people will be freed within the next few days .
edit on 17-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDebunkMachine
The people saying this is a bad thing should be ashamed, the people of libya are fighting to have the same rights you people posting so freely have, and you want to deny them that?

You are being sarcastic right?
Seriously, I haven't the slightest clue.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by psychosilocybin

The empire? this isn't going to be a takeover, this is to allow the people of libya to have the democracy they have been fighting for, and it is not just the US that will be assisting the libyan people.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
WOW! They shake his hand then turn on him when he says he's going to crush his own people. Shocking!

..Not.

Videos please of Gadafi bombing cities and pictures of holocaust ... ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The people saying this is a bad thing should be ashamed

Bad? There is no "bad" in politics. Useless is more like it. This is an attempt at PR by the UN, which is a little too late and a little too unconvincing.

the people of libya are fighting to have the same rights you people posting so freely have, and you want to deny them that?

Even if they win against Gadhafi, the chance that their rights will be furthered is slim. There are no democracies in the Muslim world, and chances of a dictator replacing a toppled dictator are very likely. It is certainly nostalgic to think of the great democratic revolutions in the past, with the people prevailing over evil despots. But that should be left for the movies - reality is a bitch.
edit on 17-3-2011 by maloy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
But I’m the troll huh?

Pretty easy question.
Funny that you keep talking about religion, going to hell for not being religious, worshiping the devil and plenty of other completely irrelevant issues while not getting why you're being called a troll.

-5/10

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

"like the cool man said"
"phony land called israel"

LOL man how can anyone even take you seriously? If you're a day older than 15 your country's education system has FAILED, HORRIBLY.

So now you want to be like jarod laughner huh?
'shaking head left to right'

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

WOW! They shake his hand then turn on him when he says he's going to crush his own people. Shocking!

..Not.

Videos please of Gadafi bombing cities and pictures of holocaust ... ?

LOL this BS again? Nobody said he has done it yet! Guy, you ran out of meaningful things to say some time ago. Giving up now is the right option for you.

.....Or you could stick to posting random pictures of world leaders with Gaddafi and think it has any impact on this thread whatsoever.

Here, let me make this a whole lot easier for you to understand (hopefully). This is a quote from my first post in this thread (2 pages back):
"The funniest thing is if he indeed scrambles his warplanes and massacres his own people, you lot will say "yeah it's their business and we shouldn't bother them"."
OBVIOUSLY I am stating that he didn't do it, and addressing what will be the outcome IF HE WILL.

Now, if that isn't going through, there is just no hope for you buddy.
edit on 17-3-2011 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

reply to post by psychosilocybin

The empire? this isn't going to be a takeover, this is to allow the people of libya to have the democracy they have been fighting for, and it is not just the US that will be assisting the libyan people.

The United States military is in over 150 countries. I call that an Empire. This is how every war is sold to the American people. We were told we would go into Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Korea, to quickly remove evil and malevolent governments to give these poor people freedom. Then we give trillions to the military-industrial complex, lose the lives of thousands of soldiers, and build a puppet government for years and years.

Rinse, and repeat.
edit on 17-3-2011 by psychosilocybin because: Classified

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

The people saying this is a bad thing should be ashamed

Bad? There is no "bad" in politics. Useless is no like it. This is an attempt at PR by the UN, which is a little too late and a little too unconvincing.

the people of libya are fighting to have the same rights you people posting so freely have, and you want to deny them that?

Even if they win against Gadhafi, the chance that their right will be furthered is slim. There are no democracies in the Muslim world, and chances of a dictator replacing a toppled dictator are very likely. It is certainly nostalgic to think of the great democratic revolutions in the past, with the people prevailing over evil despots. But that should be left for the movies - reality is a bitch,

No democracies in the the muslim world? Are the Maldives not a democracy, what about Algeria? Egypt and Tunisia are currently pending democracies.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
Sorry, just wanted to ask - what is the purpose of the UN?

How else would bureaucrats earn a living?

10 countries agree to stop the dictator, 5 just did not know what to say.

More like 10 agree to sign their name in a letter, and 5 laugh at the letter's uselessness. It is a well orchestrated political debauchery.

They could not say NO as they would be seen as supporting the mass-killings. They cannot say YES for economical or political reasons.At least they got the decency to allow the other 10 countries to help the people at least in the last moment.

How would a "no fly zone" help the people? Did it help the Kurds in Iraq?

It could be already too late, but my hope is that pockets of opposition will now emerge again from the areas under control of Gaddaffi.

Not likely.

And for the American people - i know you are concerned about the financial side of this issue (the cost of this operation ) however US will not be the main player this time, i guess EU will make most of the expenses.

The EU? Really? You mean the only bureaucratic organization that makes UN seem capable of getting things done? What is EU going to do?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

No democracies in the the muslim world? Are the Maldives not a democracy, what about Algeria? Egypt and Tunisia are currently pending democracies.

Maldives is resort that has been blessed because it is courted by Europe and other developed countries. It has nothing that can be exploited by others. Heck it is an island that is a country only in name, and a Muslim one only as a technicality.

As for Algeria, they had their own long bloody infighting ever since the French left. Their democracy under such circumstances is questinable at best. One can only guess at the questionable methods employed by the government there, but never discussed in Western news because no one really cares. There is no solid foundation for democracy. The same goes for Egypt and Tunisia - no foundation for democracy. Regardless of who comes to power, the people will remain poor and unsatisfied. The leadership will likely resort to less-than-democratic means to keep order.

It is a perpetual cycle that these countries are stuck in. Can they find their way out? Yes. But the odds are against it, and known the geopolitical circumstances of the last few decades I am a bit of a skeptic.

link   

But I’m the troll huh?

Pretty easy question.
Funny that you keep talking about religion, going to hell for not being religious, worshiping the devil and plenty of other completely irrelevant issues while not getting why you're being called a troll.

-5/10

Its basically called ' a reality check 'why I said what I said, its not a joke when it comes to a humans life, so I said what I said so people wont get it twisted on how they felt on 911,why joke about life, and bombs, and no fly zones over other countries. But I guess since the civilians of this country haven’t had BOMBS dropped on them every day ,or no fly zones issued ,or tanks driving down the street,. I guess its 'fk' ‘ok to say, im going to drink a beer and enjoy this moment.

The sad thing about it is, and this is the saddest thing ever, he wasn’t playing, human Americans love to see bombs dropped on other countries, they love the killing, they love it, its like a ‘crack high’ to see kids being killed, and family being displaced, as long as it isn’t you all huh!!!

I will take being a troll any giving day ,then to have the wicked evil hearts of most of you.
I love reality…..period !!
And I love the heart god gave me.

' SO SAY GOOD BYE TO THE BAD GUY!! ,THE TROLL,THE LOVER OF LIFE,THE LAST HUMAN REALIST ON THE FACE OF THIS PLANET'

ENJOY YOUR SHOW IN LIBYA,I KNOW YOU WILL

link   
I'm not bustin out the popcorn for this cheap sideshow, where are the bombs already???

The people in Benghazi are in a good mood.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

"How else would bureaucrats earn a living?"
The purpose of UN is NOT to create jobs . Lets see what the purpose if UN is:

The purpose of the United Nations is to bring all nations of the world together to work for peace and development, based on the principles of justice, human dignity and the well-being of all people

"More like 10 agree to sign their name in a letter, and 5 laugh at the letter's uselessness. It is a well orchestrated political debauchery."

Really, do you think this would be the way the people are debating this issue? Do you realise that the reputation of the 5 could go down the drain if Gaddafi is removed and population will surface horror stories on how bad the dictator was? I guess they did not laugh!

"How would a "no fly zone" help the people? Did it help the Kurds in Iraq?"
Not having a no-fly zone would help more? The resolution had some provisions, allowing some extra steps to protect the civilians .

The EU? Really? You mean the only bureaucratic organization that makes UN seem capable of getting things done? What is EU going to do?

I did not meant EU as an entity , we hardly agree each-other down here
I meant EU states. France will take the lead this time, UK will help. Probably most of the 10 countries agreeing the resolution will actually help , even for a small amount. However I can ensure you that France will take the lead.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

' SO SAY GOOD BYE TO THE BAD GUY!! ,THE TROLL,THE LOVER OF LIFE,THE LAST HUMAN REALIST ON THE FACE OF THIS PLANET'

Good bye.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out, mr. 'last human realist on this planet'.
edit on 17-3-2011 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have a feeling the U.S and other nations will make sure to have the Arab nations involved in all of this.. They do have the Arab Nations backing and already stated that they want an Arab presence with this.. France and Britain were the ones pushing this more then any other nation.

Don't know what the big fuss about U.S is..

U.S is a major super power, they really do need to take a big brother approach to most issue's around the globe..
edit on 17-3-2011 by Discover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Discover

It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies.

Source: BBC
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

3:16am The Wall Street Journal, citing US and Libyan officials, is reporting that Egypt's military has begun shipping arms over the border to Libyan rebels, with US knowledge.

The shipments - mostly small arms such as assault rifles and ammunition - appear to be the first confirmed case of an outside government arming the rebel fighters. Those fighters have been losing ground for days in the face of a steady westward advance by forces loyal to [Gaddafi].

3:31am Barack Obama, James Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy have agreed that Libya must immediately comply with all terms of the UN resolution. The leaders of the United States, Britain and France respectively also agreed to coordinate closely on the next steps and to work with Arab and other international partners to enforce the resolution.

source: blogs.aljazeera.net...
edit on 17-3-2011 by Discover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

However I can ensure you that France will take the lead.

Sure they will, when your sleeping in bed dreaming about it...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join