It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

BREAKING : UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya

www.theglobeandmai l.com

The UN Security Council has approved a resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's forces. The vote on Thursday was 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia and China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Here we go again ..when everyone eyes is on Japan crisis Elite through US,UK and France again will invade sovereign country .French was so loud maybe beacause of this :

Libya funded Sarkozy's French poll campaign

The son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has alleged that his country helped finance Nicolas Sarkozy's 2007 presidential election campaign. "We funded it and we have all the details and are ready to reveal everything," Saif al-Islam said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Elite will again invade country for oil ,again colateral damage ..depleted uranium ..and dead inoccent civilians

www.theglobeandmai l.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is terrible, just like what Xavi said, when everyone's eyes is on Japan, now its time to invade poor Libya, that's terrible!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It's funny how similar Obama is to Bush, hell, they even look the same to me.

Instead of taking troops out of the middle east he is sending more, great.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leemo
This is terrible, just like what Xavi said, when everyone's eyes is on Japan, now its time to invade poor Libya, that's terrible!

This is true and sad. no wonder i havent heard the U.S do anything about the Japanese tragedy, besides send a drone. smh

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So, are they still civilians if they have guns? One thing that puzzles me about the whole Libya thing is how the media continues to call the people fighting the government civilians, even though they have clearly armed themselves, have mutinous elements of the Libyan army.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
"Resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's force"

This is war in full scale

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
"Resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's force"

This is war in full scale

Not much of a war if you ask me. 50000 troops is all they have and 95% will abandon post when Raptors start to fly overhead... guarantee!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2011 by JWash because: Got confused...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If we weren't broke and about to collapse under the weight of our own debt I wouldn't be against this action. We will not have boots on the ground with exception maybe to target painters and SF forces training the rebels.

When the UN decides to slap someone it's usually US forces that lead the way...This is gonna cost us big and it will give the US government an out for the massive inflation they've caused in the system thus far..

Broke? Got to war...

As I said, on principle, I'm not against this. But reality says this may be an ill-fated campaign.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Australian news just showed live footage of the crowds in Libya when they heard the news from the UN. There is celebratory gunfire etc. & I can only imagine a great feeling of relief.

Down here, they are being called anti-government rebels, not civilians.

A question to those who may know, does Ghaddafi have any chemical/bio weapons ? I have a bad feeling he is going to let all hell loose before the UN can get in there.

Its being reported air strikes may begin within hours, but that still gives him time to do as much damage as he can.
edit on 17/3/2011 by SNAFU38 because: spelling

edit on 17/3/2011 by SNAFU38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JWash

Saudi forces are not helping Libyan government forces.

They are helping forces in Bahrain.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It's amazing, it used to take an act of congress to declare war, now it just takes getting the biggest arms dealing nations on earth, UN Representatives who sit on the UN Security Council to declare one.

Here is a good question how come everyone but the aviators from the nation it's imposed on get to fly in the no fly zone?

We really need some new governments, they do this horsecrap while they let a nuclear catastrophe go totally unchecked?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

It's not just the US on the UN board. We all knew it was going to happen eventually and to say that the US used the JAPAN crisis as a diversion tactic is shameful. Ill timed sure but not anything any of us shouldn't have expected to happen. That Libyan dictator is vicious and anything the outside world can do to help should be done. The same goes anywhere else! Japan has received plenty of help in this crisis and we as Americans are looked to to make stands and defend honor and be the first to serve. Sometimes it is in our best interest and sometimes it isn't but we do what we can! Freedom is earned.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You're right. I'll retract my previous statement.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If we are still there in five years "establishing a democracy", I'm renouncing my citizenship.

link   
Instituting a no fly zone in its self is an act of war....there should be no surprise to this outcome. It was a given.

link   
it's about time!!!

Those poor people were getting bombed by their own government! crimes against humanity! The tides are definitely changing in the middle east.

I'm sure there might be some fall backs but it must be done. Gaddafi just can't seem to get a grip on his own people!

link   
reply to post by xavi1000

The UN Security Council has approved a resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and authorize “all necessary measures” to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's forces. The vote on Thursday was 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia and China.

Well that's because Russia and China always abstain and China doesn't have an Air Force.
edit on 17-3-2011 by NNEECE because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join