It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Energy Energy from the Earth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hello. Could someone please be so kind as to tell me why this may not work, or if it could what would be the pros and cons ?

infranetlab.org...

To sum that up, harnessing the rotation of the Earth using a large gyroscope placed at the North Pole

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Seems plausible, but I know very little.

The thing that stands out to me: How would they get the energy from the pole(s) to...well, any significant gathering of humans?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

I guess that would be one of the problems that needed to be worked out. Maybe build plants throughout the region and then run lines? That would cost soooo much money.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

A gyroscope is a device for measuring or maintaining orientation, based on the principles of conservation of angular momentum.

I don't see how you can take energy from a gyroscope.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I am in no shape or form any type of scientist, but can energy not be produced from things spinning? A large gyroscope placed at the North Pole would spin as long as the Earth rotates, well, according to the link I posted. Could that energy not be harnessed somehow?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsubaki
reply to post by boncho

I am in no shape or form any type of scientist, but can energy not be produced from things spinning? A large gyroscope placed at the North Pole would spin as long as the Earth rotates, well, according to the link I posted. Could that energy not be harnessed somehow?

The gyroscope would initially be started with a motor and once in motion, it would spin endlessly.

I don't deny that it would spin for a very long time, but drawing energy from the process just makes my mind go blank. I'm a layman though so I can't explain it properly.

The Soviet experiments were not successful because they were incurring dramatic energy loss through a system of gears that ‘speed up’ the motion of the earth. Although, Johnson’s research has fewer losses (he calculates a constant production of 587 watts)

Thats about 10 lightbulbs, a few more if they are energy saving.

The Soviet experiments were not successful because they were incurring dramatic energy loss through a system of gears that ‘speed up’ the motion of the earth.

Wow, bold statement...

This all sounds like poppycock.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsubaki
reply to post by boncho

There are no facts and figures stated in the 'article' besides the 500w they produced, which is a raindrop in the Ocean as far as energy goes. They don't list enough details to be able to make a valid judgement. Probably on purpose.

I am quite sure someone familiar with Newtonian physics can come in an explain what is really behind this idea. IMO, hogwash.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
biggest question tho would it be enough energy to make a difference?

i havent read your link so sorry if thats mentioned in there

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
"Thats about 10 lightbulbs, a few more if they are energy saving."

Thank you. that clears it all up . This thread can be closed now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Looks like what Nikola Tesla wanted to do

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Come on folks think about it.

If you take energy from the rotation of the planet what happens to the hours in the day? Is it too hard to figure it out?

The days get longer.
Wider temperature changes each day.
Tidal side effects.

This rotation is NOT renewable. So does it make any sense at all to steal from it?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Come on folks think about it.

If you take energy from the rotation of the planet what happens to the hours in the day? Is it too hard to figure it out?

The days get longer.
Wider temperature changes each day.
Tidal side effects.

This rotation is NOT renewable. So does it make any sense at all to steal from it?

I'm having a hard time with this...

Am I just missing the sarcasm font?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Energy from the earth? hmmm, interesting... Here is one, Food created from energy and air.... I have already contacted NASA to try and discuss the method I already know how to do this, just no resources to implement it, and yes, they have ignored me this weeks atempt, we will see how this week goes, I wonder if it is lack of faith or lack of profit that delays the food replicator?

top topics

join