It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In my town they have taken iodine/iodide off the shelves for "safety" reasons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by defenestrator

He's mocking the morons that are going to OD on Iodide and kill themselves.

Not the people in japan.

No, he said "a little radiation never hurt anyone." which is disgusting, insensitive and not funny in the context of "mocking the morons"
Childish humor in the face of real tragedy is a serious problem caused by our desensitized modern culture, in my very strong opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The stores are probably waiting until they can start selling the pills for $350 a bottle.
I'm being sarcastic, but see that other thread about price gouging to understand the humor.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I understand having ome just in case, but everyone is freaking out a bit too much atm about not being able to get it etc. You don't need any right away so relax. There are so many other things that you might need in a variety of emergencies. Just because the Japan situation is on TV people seem to think thats the only major danger there might be in the near future when really there are a lot of other possibilities that are more likely. Get some online or something, you can do without them for a few days im sure. I understand tha panic after seeing the crisis in Japan, but that isnt exactley a common occurance. Some people are seriously paranoid, donm't get me wrong its great to be prepared, but if you're guna worry so much about every possible disaster then the stress will; probably get you first.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

some are : evidence

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator

Originally posted by Alina
I think more people would die from overdose than of (potential) radiation, It's not really something that should be taken lightly and I completely understand why it has been removed.

A little radiation never hurt anyone.

That's a pretty disgusting comment, considering current events. Please stop this sort of insensitivity toward the people who are sick in Japan now, and the victims this tragedy will claim in coming years, this is not the time for childish mocking. I don't know if you can overdose on KI, but I don't think it is fatal. You can overdose on anything, I suppose.

Iodine products like betadine can be painted on the forearm in low doses.I had a small glass vial of iodine crystals for water purification:

you put an ounce of water in let it sit to achieve "saturation"; poured the water into your water container (WHILE NOT LETTING ANY CRYSTALS FOLLOW.! ITS TOXIC) With the tendency to panic and MSm doom-athon misinformation everywhere.I agree Americans are going to poison themselves self medicating with over the counter iodine products.
edit on 17-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
reply to post by marriah3330

you might have a lawsuit there.

first amendment rights, or pursuit of happiness, compromising your safety or something.

was this local or federal decision??

this is pretty big stuff here

and here are the side effects of potassium iodide

Acne; diarrhea; loss of appetite; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; confusion; fever; irregular heartbeat; metallic taste in the mouth; mouth sores; numbness or tingling of the hands or feet; skin rash; stomach pains; swelling in the neck or throat; unusual tiredness; weakness.

not that bad considering....

edit on 17-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

You do not have a first amendment right to buy Iodine at the Safeway.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Whew !!! We can stop worrying now as we have heard from a ton of trolls here at ATS and they say we will all be O.K. I was really scared till they rang in.....Thanks for putting all our fears to rest !!!! Now, go take your Iodine pills....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
If you want to up your levels, just drink a couple of glasses of red wine every day. There is a healthy level of iodine in red wine. Plus it tastes good, is a social pastime (in moderation) and makes you mellow.

I suppose that would be a great court defense
when I'm cited for a DUI.

the radiation made me do it !!!

lmao

not saying Red Wine is not good
as an anti-dote, but should have come
with a warning, not to drive while
consuming

Sorry I know this is off topic but I had the strongest sense of Deja Vu when I read your post. As if I've already read the exact thing, word for word, already... Anyway... you can ignore me now just had to say something.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Just to remind the naysayers: the Canadian government, FEMA, etc have been saying for a long time that part of your emergency nuclear supplies should be these pills. In fact, there would be no risk of running out of the pills even if we went out and panic-bought all of them in a day IF the US government stockpiled enough for ALL of its citizens, and NOT JUST THE ONES LIVING WITHIN 10 MILES OF A NUKE PLANT.

And that's the reality----you can blame paranoids for buying up the public supply, but it's your government's fault if there's not enough to go around in a real emergency. Most European countries stockpile enough for their entire population because it's such an important supply to have. Blame your government for shortages if there are any in an emergency, not us.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That from collodal silver not iodide

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I just got back from the pharmacist and he said he took it off the shelves as well. Just FYI

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

When should people start panicking and buying precautionary supplies? It's too late after the event happens, your thyroid could be saturated with radioactive idodine long before you get access to some Iodide(especially if you have to wait for other countries to donate their supplies). If all the folks in Japan had already stocked up, they wouldn't need any emergency donatinos from other countries.
Everyone who comments about protecting people from overdose of Potassium Iodide, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. All the online medical sites I could find say symptoms of Iodide overdose are unknown. The only place I could find anything on it was whfoods.org and they claim Taking over a gram can cause mouth and stomache burning, nause, vomiting diarrhea and possibly coma. 1 gram is a lot more than a normal dose so it is highly unlikely that anybody would overdose. You'd have to take like 7-8 times the normal dose to reach those levels.
I think anybody take nearly any medication at 8 times the normal amount could expect an overdose. What I don't see happening is large numbers of people dying from an overdose of Iodine...on the other hand people dye from cancer everyday.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

crtl-z will undo just about any mistake (not just on forums), I have to use it all the time

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

8ml of liquid iodine or betadine painted on your forearm daily is the equivalent of the 130mg adult dosage of recommended KI.

so he should have gotten the betadine

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed

you might have a lawsuit there.

first amendment rights, or pursuit of happiness, compromising your safety or something.

yeah, that's exactly what we need....more lawsuits..
this country is litigious enough as it is.
i guess it's the american way to immediately consider suing.

i'm in washington as well and am not worried in the least bit.
(don't get me wrong, i'm all for taking precautions and being prepared, so do whatever you feel is best...i am)

edit on 17-3-2011 by slowisfast because: addition

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Iodide rarely has reactions even from iodine-allergic folks. STILL, it should not be taken unless it's a confirmed emergency, even by those not sensitive.

ETA: this is in South Carolina, and not in the boonies.
edit on 17-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

We have some chemical nomenclature confusion going on here. Iod is them common chemical stem word used when iodine is in a binary compound. The -ine is used when speaking of the element. When iodine is combined with a different element, you add -ide to ion. Potassium iodide is "KI." The K is potassium, The I is iodine. Potassium iodide can most certainly cause fatal anaphylactic shock in iodine sensitive people.
And potassium isn't exactly benign. It is used in lethal injection drugs to help stop the heart. When people go into "shock" from injury or burns, it is a high potassium level that is the chief cause of death. See, charles..._w.tripod.com/arthritis12.html

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Chill out....the poster wasn't making light of radiation. It was a satirical comment. Lighten the hell up.

reply to post by defenestrator

edit on 17-3-2011 by lostviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Nope, it's not a chemical mix-up. It's simply a difference in what people are actually "allergic" or "sensitive" to when they have an "iodine allergy":

AAAAI info

Patients with allergic contact dermatitis appear to respond to the providone-iodine component but not to potassium iodide solution on patch testing.10 There is one case report of anaphylaxis to providone-iodine applied intravaginally11 but the component of the preparation that caused the reaction was not determined (e.g., not necessarily a reaction to iodide). Thus, contact dermatitis caused by topically applied iodine-containing antibacterials does not indicate an allergy to iodine. Anaphylaxis to these preparations is exceedingly rare and not proven to be due to iodine.

This is just one part; it's much much more common to find people who have adverse reactions to things *containing* iodine than it is for them to have *true* iodine allergies, and even if they do, they rarely show reactions to potassium iodide.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to ask this question as an experienced poster...

My Common Sense is tingling....

Since when does anyone have the right to tell me as an american what I have to protect myself from and what I do not have to protect myself from....

next youll be telling my I do not need an automatic rifle for any reason... my house I'll protect it as I see fit

wait....

I had to laugh when I heard an uptight snob getting mad at the American public.... We had bought out the supplies and it would hurt other countries... we were hurtin relief efforts because of ....

I tuned her out as she went into an anti american rant

Well... tough luck...

Listen I am sick of hearing the american public this or this person is fear mongering... the truth is some people are on top of certain things and they have the right to PROTECT themselves as they see fit....

it is not fear mongering it is capitalism and hard core good old fashion common sense....

After all if the government measured as even as competent as your average five year old in all of its skills...

Why did it take five days for water to reach the superdome?

crickets I thought so....

Listen I am sick of hearing such things on fearmongering... I think it is part of a tactic used by certain people in the form of strawmen arguments and it is part of being ignorant...

Note a charge of profiteering is different then a charge of fear mongering (or high pressure sales
) this can be labeled and proven by numbers....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Did your friend ask what harm it would cause??
Did you hear that it was worth 10bux today and within (some time....lol) it was raised to over 300bucks. The guy that brought us this story tried to purchase some on Amazon.com. He was buying it for 10bux..amazon sent him a quick email letting him know that his order was canceled and he can reorder if he wants to. He went to the reorder page and found the price had risen to 300.00. Thanks to Regan and the 80's... they taught everyone that it's ME ME ME... greedy selfish people!

SORRY.. I found what harm it could cause.. or at least the explanation of it. thanx for this post

edit on 17-3-2011 by tracehd1 because: add

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join