It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In my town they have taken iodine/iodide off the shelves for "safety" reasons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
If you want to up your levels, just drink a couple of glasses of red wine every day. There is a healthy level of iodine in red wine. Plus it tastes good, is a social pastime (in moderation) and makes you mellow.

I suppose that would be a great court defense
when I'm cited for a DUI.

the radiation made me do it !!!

lmao

not saying Red Wine is not good
as an anti-dote, but should have come
with a warning, not to drive while
consuming

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu

Thats not what I was asking, this isnt another "bash on Iodine buyers " thread OK? My question was do you think its right to not be able to buy it and take the RECOMENDED dose when need be? the last news I just heard was that the cement barriers are now cracked and leaking radiation and everyone within a 14-20 mile radius is being exposed to the equivilant to 1000 x rays per hour, one physicist said that it is likely to be as bad as Chenobyl, which people are saying was no big deal even though children as young as four that I know of got thyroid cancer and this number was by the hundreds. And I got this info just from world news, which is usually only about 10 Percent of the whole picture.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Death by iodide overdose would be the cherry on the panic's cake. And so ironic.
I don't wish it happens though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marriah3330
reply to post by Deja`Vu

Thats not what I was asking, this isnt another "bash on Iodine buyers " thread OK? My question was do you think its right to not be able to buy it and take the RECOMENDED dose when need be? the last news I just heard was that the cement barriers are now cracked and leaking radiation and everyone within a 14-20 mile radius is being exposed to the equivilant to 1000 x rays per hour, one physicist said that it is likely to be as bad as Chenobyl, which people are saying was no big deal even though children as young as four that I know of got thyroid cancer and this number was by the hundreds. And I got this info just from world news, which is usually only about 10 Percent of the whole picture.

There is threads dedicated to arguing if it is as bad as Chernobyl, but currently the potential radiation that is headed to America is less than what you would gain by smoking for a year.

400 millisiverts (assuming the media is being honest) is not enough radiation to cause us harm, and is only 1000th of what Chernobyl was.

Even if it was Chernobyl level radiation, as well as the 14 day half life of the gas and dissipation over the ocean it still would barely (I think) hit lethal/cancer levels in America.

So currently to me it just seems like the state is more concerned about peoples paranoia than radiation.

I agree with them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I never thought of that. Great. Now I know what to say to my wife next time I am drunk. "Just preparing for doomsday sweetheart.".

Love it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Alina

I agree, but if TPTB told the truth about what is happeniing rather than concealing it, people wouldn't be expcting the absolute worst case scenario.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Guidance on Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation Emergencies

In December 2001, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a final Guidance on Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation Emergencies. The objective of the document is to provide guidance to other Federal agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and to state and local governments regarding the safe and effective use of potassium iodide (KI) as an adjunct to other public health protective measures in the event that radioactive iodine is released into the environment. The adoption and implementation of the recommendations are at the discretion of the state and local governments responsible for developing regional emergency-response plans related to radiation emergencies. The recommendations in the guidance address KI dosage and the projected radiation exposure at which the drug should be used. This guidance updates FDA's 1982 recommendations.
What does potassium iodide (KI) do?

The effectiveness of KI as a specific blocker of thyroid radioiodine uptake is well established. When administered in the recommended dose, KI is effective in reducing the risk of thyroid cancer in individuals or populations at risk for inhalation or ingestion of radioiodines. KI floods the thyroid with non-radioactive iodine and prevents the uptake of the radioactive molecules, which are subsequently excreted in the urine.

Can potassium iodide (KI) be used to protect against radiation from bombs other than radioactive iodine?
Potassium iodide ( KI) works only to prevent the thyroid from uptaking radioactive iodine. It is not a general radioprotective agent.

Who really needs to take potassium iodide (KI) after a nuclear radiation release?
The FDA guidance prioritizes groups based on age, which primarily determines risk for radioiodine-induced thyroid cancer. Those at highest risk are infants and children, as well as pregnant and nursing females, and the recommendation is to treat them at the lowest threshold (with respect to predicted radioactive dose to the thyroid). Anyone over age 18 and up to age 40 should be treated at a slightly higher threshold. Finally, anyone over 40 should be treated with KI only if the predicted exposure is high enough to destroy the thyroid and induce lifelong hypothyroidism (thyroid deficiency).
What potassium iodide (KI) products are currently available?

As of January 2005, Iosat, ThyroSafe, and ThyroShield are FDA approved KI products. You can find out more about these products at Drugs@FDA2. Please be aware that only the KI products approved by FDA may be legally marketed in the United States.

How are these products available?
In addition to distributing to state, local and federal agencies, Anbex, Inc., has made Iosat Tablets (130 mg) available to the general public via the Internet.
What dosages of potassium iodide (KI) should be taken for specific exposure levels?

Exposures greater than 5 cGy:

* Birth through 1 mo. - 16 mg.
* 1 mo. through 3 yrs. - 32 mg.
* 3 yrs through 18 yrs. - 65 mg. (Adolescents>150 pounds should take adult dose.)

Exposures greater than 10 cGy:

* 18 yrs through 40 yrs. - 130 mg

Exposures greater than 500 cGy:

* Adults over 40 yrs - 130 mg.

How long should potassium iodide (KI) be taken?
Since KI protects for approximately 24 hours, it should be dosed daily until the risk no longer exists. Priority with regard to evacuation and sheltering should be given to pregnant females and neonates because of the potential for KI to suppress thyroid function in the fetus and neonate. Unless other protective measures are not available, we do not recommend repeat dosing in pregnant females and neonates.

Who should not take potassium iodide (KI) or have restricted use?
Persons with known iodine sensitivity should avoid KI, as should individuals with dermatitis herpetiformis and hypocomplementemic vasculitis, extremely rare conditions associated with an increased risk of iodine hypersensitivity. Individuals with multinodular goiter, Graves' disease, and autoimmune thyroiditis should be treated with caution -- especially if dosing extends beyond a few days.
What are the possible risks and side effects of taking potassium iodide (KI)?

Thyroidal side effects of KI at recommended doses rarely occur in iodine-sufficient populations such as the U.S. As a rule, the risk of thyroidal side effects is related to dose and to the presence of underlying thyroid disease (e.g., goiter, thyroiditis, Graves'). FDA recommends adherence to the Guidance on Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation Emergencies7 for intervention threshold and dose, though we recognize that the exigencies of any particular emergency situation may mandate deviations from those recommendations. With that in mind, it should be understood that as a general rule, the risks of KI are far outweighed by the benefits with regard to prevention of thyroid cancer in susceptible individuals.

Should I check with my doctor first?
Potassium iodide (KI) is available over-the-counter (OTC). However, if you have any health concerns or questions, you should check with your doctor.

As a doctor, should I be recommending potassium iodide (KI) for my patients who request it?
As with any drug, physicians should understand the risks and benefits of KI before recommending it or prescribing it to patients. We recommend that physicians read our guidance for more information. It is available on the FDA Drug Guidances8 web page, under procedural guidance #18. The FDA guidance discusses the rationale and methods of safe and effective use of KI in radiation emergencies. It specifically addresses threshold predicted thyroid radioiodine exposure for intervention and dosing by age group. The recommendations for intervention are based on categories of risk for thyroid cancer, with the young prioritized because of increased sensitivity to the carcinogenic effects of radioiodine.

Should I go out and buy potassium iodide (KI) to keep on hand?
KI works best if used within 3-4 hours of exposure. Although FDA has not made specific recommendations for individual purchase or use of KI, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has contracted to purchase KI for states with nuclear reactors and states that have population within the 10-mile emergency planning zone, e.g., Delaware or West Virginia.

How do I know that potassium iodide (KI) will be available in case of an emergency?
FDA will continue to work with interested pharmaceutical manufacturers to assure that high quality, safe, and effective KI products are available for purchase by consumers, by state and local authorities, and by federal government agencies electing to do so.

Source: FDA.gov. Frequently Asked Questions on Potassium Iodide (KI)
reproduced here: www.medicinenet.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

I never thought of that. Great. Now I know what to say to my wife next time I am drunk. "Just preparing for doomsday sweetheart.".

Love it.

ummm ok
but please do not blame me
when she slaps you for the lame excuse
lmao

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

That's incredibly patronising at the very least!

Stupidly so actually, considering there is a very real risk of fallout radioactive iodine that will be absorbed into your thyroid unless it is kept topped up with good iodine.

Not exactly paranoia, when nuclear reactors are melting down left right and center!

Should have told the bloke he was a patronising swine.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

LOL

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
All of the bashers of the people buying iodide are giving me a headache...truly. If YOU don't want to buy it, or see no need for it...then simply don't.

The only information people have are what we can get through the MSM unfortunately...and as we've all seen...they're clearly lying and/or not giving all the facts. A week ago we were told "everything's fine"...5 days ago "well, the reactors are having a rough time..but it's still all fine" 2 days ago "ok, we have a bit of a situation BUT...still good here!"..blah blah blah. Even IF they are telling the truth, where does it go from here? The reactors have been going downhill fast over the past few days and could continue that downhill spiral until things ARE worse..and then what?

Being prepared, or over-prepared never hurt anyone. Worst case scenario, the people buying the iodide can laugh at themselves a month from now and swallow the loss of the $$$. BUT, if things do get out of control...where will you bashers be going for your iodide now that all the "panicky tinfoil hat wearers" have bought it all up
(or the govt for that matter)

Michelle

P.S. I haven't bought any myself, and don't plan to, but I have no problem with others doing it

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Reply to post by Michelle129th

"Being prepared, or over-prepared never hurt anyone."

YES it hurts other ones goddamn it, it hurts the people who could REALLY NEED IT.
This is why they call it "safety reasons" !!
Arrogant self centered people really make me puke.

And this is not only about US, people, the same Iodide panic buying is being witnessed in Europe and around.

In the same vein, what about buying all the charity organisations food supplies for yourself ?
You know, "just in case of food riots"...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I think that if I was the owner of a nuclear power plant I'd invest heavily in Iodine, that way if the worst happened I could recoup some of my loss in Iodine sales

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I'm in no way bashing getting iodide, I just got mad at that japan poster earlier for bashing Americans for wanting to get it. he said that Americans would probably overdose on it.

Be prepared is the smart thing. any level of radiation is not good for you. even a small amount of radiation will cause cancer years down the line. don't pay too much for iodide although, but get it for sure. I got some from my health food store and got a liquid bottle from my fish store. the elite of the world could care less about you and I for one have added iodide to my daily supplement routine. what make me sick is that our Gov. wont allow us to but it from the pharmacy's while obama is playing basketball in Rio, hilary left for india, fema is buying all the usa stock piles of iodide and purchasing billions in food-storage.

The Reactors have melted and the media will downplay the severity.

Live radiation meter in CA coast
RADIATION LEVELS CA

TRUE PATRIOT RADIO - YOU ARE THE RESISTANCE - V for Victory

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Reply to post by kineticdamage

I apologize for the last sentence of my last post, was stupid. But I can't stop thinking of a real emergency scenario where some regions would really need it and stocks would be empty....

Anyway, Deja Vu, you're saying even small doses of radioactivity can cause cancer, are you 200% sure of that ?
I mean according to a recent study, even fellation and cunillingus would have 32 times more chance to cause cancer than tobacco... So. .

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In Victoria, Australia, Iodine is prescription only.

It was pulled off the shelves as it is considered a precursor for making Class 1 drugs.
It's used in Meth Labs in the cooking process.

You can buy Kelp Tablets as a natural alternative.
4 tablets max a day gives you your full days dose.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
As people seem to have missed the importance of some of my post:
"Potassium iodide ( KI) works only to prevent the thyroid from uptaking radioactive iodine. It is not a general radioprotective agent."

So stock up on all the iodine you want, if there is none in the alleged cloud of potential radioactivity then IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD WHAT SO EVER...

I repeat IODINE DOES NOT CURE RADIATION SICKNESS IT STOPS YOU FROM GETTING THYROID CANCER IF YOU INGEST/BREATHE RADIOACTIVE IODINE.
edit on 17-3-2011 by UltraMind because: (no reason given)

Just to give you and idea here is an excerpt from IAEA FAQ on Chernobyl:
"There were over 100 radioactive elements released into the atmosphere when Chernobyl’s fourth reactor exploded. Most of these were short lived and decayed (reduced in radioactivity) very quickly. Iodine, strontium and caesium were the most dangerous of the elements released, and have half-lives of 8 days, 29 years, and 30 years respectively. The isotopes Strontium-90 and Caesium-137 are therefore still present in the area to this day. While iodine is linked to thyroid cancer, Strontium can lead to leukaemia. Caesium is the element that travelled the farthest and lasts the longest. This element affects the entire body and especially can harm the liver and spleen."
edit on 17-3-2011 by UltraMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm surprised the package I ordered online even made it to the Post Office today. Picked it up today and i'm happy i've forward planned *just incase* without the nanny-state in the UK especially assuming i'm stupid and don't know when or how much to take of the stuff. Obviously should the worse happen, i'm not going to be taking it like candy as i've heard some people already are doing.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by marriah3330

S & F,

Is it all pharmacies in her area or just this chain? If it was one specific chain, I'd rot in hell before I ever patronized them again!

Either way, if it's a legal product at other danged time, there is no excuse for them playing "Mommy" to an adult citizen.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMind

Exactly right about what iodine does.

Iodine tablets taken orally, or tincture of iodine such Betadine painted topically (on the skin) pre-load the thyroid with safe iodine, preventing uptake of radioactive Iodine 131 in to the thyroid.

Nothing more! It's just to help prevent or mitigate Iodine 131 from getting in the thyroid gland.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join