It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

In my town they have taken iodine/iodide off the shelves for "safety" reasons

page: 5
16
<< 2  3  4   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Last night I tried to find out where I could buy this potassium-iodide near the place I live. But here, in The Netherlands, you need a prescription to get it. So I checked if it was possible to get it in Germany, I live about 5 minutes to the border and a lot of drugs can be purchased prescription free. As I looked up the website of a well know pharmacist in the area, I noticed a big warning on his website not to worry and not to buy potassium-iodide because there is no need to do so and it is too harmfull. They also stated there was no need for foraging/hoarding food or any kind of medication !!!

There was really no need to do so, bla bla bla, because it was very clear that Western Europe wouldn't in danger bla bla bla bla......

So not only in Japan or the United States they try to discourage you or even forbid you to buy it....

Are there anymore coutries where they try to forbid or discouraging buying potassium iodide?

BR
WeirdOldDude




posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If the stores deem them "more harm than good", then why the hell were they selling them before?

I imagine if your friend had gone in that store 2 weeks ago, they would have no problem selling her the stuff.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand
 


To expand on that, almost all government emergency preparedness guidelines specify having a supply of potassium iodide in your medical supplies in case of fallout, dirty bomb, etc.

So they're saying that if we had all listened to our governments and kept some of these on hand already, we would be in MORE danger? Following government guidelines would have put us in danger? They've got some 'splainin to do.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand
 


They probably don't want riots of people trying to buy them..

Would you?

The government could have asked them to take the pills off the shelf incase they need to distribute them more rationally.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 


The government should never ever be relying on private businesses to have enough stock of anything for the population. If it's a supply needed in an emergency, the government needs to have other plans to have enough than "take it off the shelves so we can control it! Mwahahaha!"

ETA; and they will create more panic and riots by suddenly yanking them off the shelves than they would if they let people buy them, because, after all, it's only the lunatics buying them, right?

edit on 17-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Deja`Vu
 


its a synonymous example



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Would someone please tell me what the heck iodine has to do with earthquakes and nuclear power plants. That makes absolutely no sense.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIsraelite777
 


Great question!

This will help you begin your search: www.google.com



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00
 


Im sure the government has other plans besides that.

But they may have found themselves falling short in the projection of what they would need if there were a wide scale issue of radiation of hitting the states.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIsraelite777
 


Radioactive iodine is an issue in low dosage radiation hitting you. If you have enough iodine in your thyroid, then your body simply won't take more and will reject the radioactive iodine, preventing long term issues over the thyroid from an otherwise low dose of radiation.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 


That's my point----if the government listened to the WHO and the rest of the developed world, they would have enough doses for 300 million people sitting in a warehouse right now, just in case.

They don't. That's not anyone's fault but their own. You can't blame government shortages on private citizens trying to protect themselves. If they hadn't yanked it from the shelves, people wouldn't be buying it like it's going out of style. They'd buy enough for their families and no more, because they'd have a pharmacist or staff member there telling them how much they need, not saying "oh, LOL, you're crazy, I'm not selling you anything" so that they go home and buy 10 times as much as they need on the internet.



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by TheIsraelite777
 


Radioactive iodine is an issue in low dosage radiation hitting you. If you have enough iodine in your thyroid, then your body simply won't take more and will reject the radioactive iodine, preventing long term issues over the thyroid from an otherwise low dose of radiation.


Oh ok, I see. Noted.



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand
 


To expand on that, almost all government emergency preparedness guidelines specify having a supply of potassium iodide in your medical supplies in case of fallout, dirty bomb, etc.

So they're saying that if we had all listened to our governments and kept some of these on hand already, we would be in MORE danger? Following government guidelines would have put us in danger? They've got some 'splainin to do.


certainly seems to me they are hoping for as many deaths as possible over the years, they do not want people to treat themselves. there was another thread here of some person saying on the o'rielly show that radiation is good for you even over the lowest recomended does specified by governement.

seems like a agenda here....discourage people from protecting themselves inorder to create as many deaths as possible from either lethal exposure in japan or all the health problems that would arise from any other type of exposure ferther afeild.
will cancer rates go through the roof over the next 4-5 years? we will have to wait and see.

the problems at the plant could get even worse yet to. so it depends how long and how much radiation is spewed out.



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00
 


You can blame them for preventing greed.

People would buy up all the Iodide and then sell it an increased price.

Kind of like.. how they are?



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 


LOL, actually, it's the opposite. If they could come on the news and say "we've got enough iodide for every single American in this country, so don't worry---there's plenty if you need it" then next to no one would buy iodide on their own.

Next? I can bat these back to you all day.



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by Miraj
 


LOL, actually, it's the opposite. If they could come on the news and say "we've got enough iodide for every single American in this country, so don't worry---there's plenty if you need it" then next to no one would buy iodide on their own.

Next? I can bat these back to you all day.


So you drink the Iodine right?



posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

seems like a agenda here....discourage people from protecting themselves inorder to create as many deaths as possible from either lethal exposure in japan or all the health problems that would arise from any other type of exposure ferther afeild.
will cancer rates go through the roof over the next 4-5 years? we will have to wait and see.

the problems at the plant could get even worse yet to. so it depends how long and how much radiation is spewed out.



...you can say that the sun rising everyday is an agenda... it doesn't solve the problem that people are freaking out and not reasoning, the iodine are not a cure for radiation, only to prevent cancer in specific regions of the body, in case of the worst, we are doomed.




top topics



 
16
<< 2  3  4   >>

log in

join