It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life After Death, Does It Exist?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The way I've been comforted is believing that it's like before birth- or sleeping without a dream.

But, after watching a program in the National Air and Space Museum (

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

There are oodles of accounts that pretty much point to the fact that this is just a stop on some weird highway to realms that are unimaginable to us in this state of consciousness.

I've had many personal experiences concerning intelligences without physical bodies... that I could see or touch, anyway. They could, with some apparent difficulty, affect this world at times, though. If that is valid, and it is to me, then it follows we could exist sans bodies like we now have

The way I see it, it's tied to beliefs held by one's current state of consciousness... or rather, it's all consciousness. Many esoteric ideas concern a heirarchy of matter, from subtle to dense, and an accompanying consciousness with that state. It's plausible. These ideas also posit that we forget our usual energy state to learn here without knowing it's all a construct, which is also plausible. Maybe whatever one expects might manifest around them after death.

In the bigger picture, the possibilities must be infinite, or we exist in a kind of box, or cage at the highest levels... if you get me.

Of course, one of the many religious dogmas might be right, or relatively so to the individual, but I'll try to remain open to whatever suits me, individually, and maybe I'll experience that until I outgrow it at some point. This is dangerous territory as some would kill you for holding beliefs about an afterlife different from theirs, but if I'm right then it's moot. I really think that polarities of good and evil are reflective of one's perceptions, and in the bigger picture are there for evolution. Without those polaritiies, how would we learn anything at this state of awareness? It certainly seems to be a construct for learning... something.

As far as those thinking we exist in a hell, or matrix like trap, perhaps, or perhaps that is reflective of their personal fears and experiences. I hope so :].

Either way, once off the deep end there's little to hold on to and things get very weird. I want to think it makes sense at different points along the way. But maybe I've done too many weird chemicals... who knows for sure?

edit on 4/22/2011 by Baddogma because: Clarity

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

**Off topic** I just like the fact that your location calls AZ hell...LOL!

I am in the Valley and really agree with you. I am not caring for it anymore.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm not religious at all and I dont believe in eternal life I just believe that there is something between life and complete death. I know it sounds weird but what I simply mean is that before someone completely leaves they are still bound to their loved ones or maybe it's just people believing that those who died are still with them but I'm talking from my own experience and I believe that sometimes when people didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye they come back or somehow show that they are leaving. I know probably doesn't really makes sense sorry about that I just can't put it in another way

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
For those of you that say energy can never be broken down, what if a person falls into a black hole and is crushed into non existence? Even if there was a soul left over, it would be in a black hole and wouldn't be able to aid new life.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cayla19
I'm not religious at all and I dont believe in eternal life I just believe that there is something between life and complete death. I know it sounds weird but what I simply mean is that before someone completely leaves they are still bound to their loved ones or maybe it's just people believing that those who died are still with them but I'm talking from my own experience and I believe that sometimes when people didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye they come back or somehow show that they are leaving. I know probably doesn't really makes sense sorry about that I just can't put it in another way

This is exactly why I use Science to explain this as a possibility.
Defining ourselves while we are alive .....and as well as when we are dead ....and assessing the differences.
As well as From a scientific perspective.

On your topic. There are countless instances of people "visiting" loved ones after having passed.
In fact it's a pretty high percentage of the population.Most people don't admit to these encounters for fear of ridicule but from what I have read. It's about 30-40% have had these experiences.

A roommate of mine in college described a case in which his very own Mother experienced this so he could attest to it's validity and truthfulness.

His Mom used to watch another working Mom's kids for her. And this other woman would watch him and his sister alternately.
The two women because very close like family.

She was later diagnosed with Breast cancer and died expectantly.

Soon after passing, She visited my friend's Mom appearing at her bedside one night, telling her to please look after her Children for her.

So there is something to this. We have a concerned Mom who wanted to convey a last important message concerning her most prized possession before moving on, Her children.

This would also explain the phenomenon of ghosts as those that don't cross over and remain in our current dimension. Because they are looking for resolution.

Did you know that John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer was captured as a result of one of his victims communicating with a psychic medium ?

The Boy communicated with the psychic as to where his body was buried (underneath the killer's home) leading to the apprehension of the serial killer.

The 1978 police investigation of a missing 15-year-old boy in the Chicago area led to the arrest of John Wayne Gacy as a suspect in a number of other missing persons cases. The serial killer, John Wayne Gacy, also known as the ‘Killer Clown’, was tried and executed two years later for the murder of 33 boys and young men. During the criminal investigation the missing boy’s family requested the police consult nationally known psychic detective and psychic medium Dorothy Allison.

www.suite101.com...

edit on 26-4-2011 by nh_ee because: Added links...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmnipresentEnemy
For those of you that say energy can never be broken down, what if a person falls into a black hole and is crushed into non existence? Even if there was a soul left over, it would be in a black hole and wouldn't be able to aid new life.

First of all we'd have to define "crushed" and "non-existence".

We know that Energy cannot be destroyed.
What happens if we try to destroy the smallest particle of matter such as an atom ?
It fractures into it's components releasing energy.
Energy that is absorbed by it's surroundings.
This is proven by the science and nature of nuclear fission.

What if the Black Hole doesn't physically crush said energy but absorbs the energy and passes it on like a conductor of electricity does ?
As in a wire passing charge aka current....electron by electron....

Unfortunately we don't know much about black holes to prove or disprove this. But what we do know is that they are gravitational energy wells. Essentially a collapsed dying star's energy turned inside out creating a huge amount of concentrated gravitational energy.

A simple analogy of this and bringing this analogy back to earth so to speak is similar to what occurs when a boat/ship sinks in the ocean.

It creates a huge whirlpool that sucks everything down with it due to the rotational energy created based upon the weight of the spinning and sinking craft as well as the effects of gravity.

The bigger the ship, the more energy is created and the greater the force to pull things into the whirlpool and deeper underwater.

A person caught in a whirlpool would be sucked down underwater but not necessarily crushed or destroyed. But assimilated into the surrounding ocean once the energy of the whirlpool had dissipated.

Back to Black Holes. Are also a whirlpool, but comprised of a concentration of gravitational energy.

What we do know is since gravity and time are related by the theory of relativity, E=mc**2

It's been hypothesized that black holes connect different time/spacial dimensions due to this concentration of gravitational energy as well as the mass or matter of the collapsed star.

As with the whirlpool analogy, What if the soul's energy upon entering the whirlpool is absorbed by the energy of the Black Hole and merely propagated as energy through the Black Hole's conduit of concentrated energy transcending to another dimension at the end of the Black Hole ?

As in time travel !

Think about that for a moment.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonas86

Really interesting. Something like this I was looking for. Any idea what that book was titled?

The idea is a theory and known as "Quantum Consciousness"

If refers to brain microtubules.

Read more here:

www.quantumconsciousness.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrKipling[/i

The guy turned up at the hospital right on time and pointed at each and everyone of the people who had 'saved his life' bypassing the placed people in the room.. Astonished, one of the surgeons asked how on earth he could have seen them as he was clinically dead at the time and he was being resuscitated.. They would have all been elsewhere when he finally woke from a coma.. .

'I was floating above myself and remember all of your faces around me'.. ' I then went into a tunnel with a beautiful light at the end but something was pulling me back... I could see you all with those electric things on my chest'

I found this to be an incredible story myself.. My Uncle said something very similar many many years ago when he had a heart attack... He said it was the most beautiful and peaceful feeling he had ever known in his life.. He said he wouldn't be scared of dying (which he sadly did a few years later)..

The seeing your own body on the operating table seems to be quite a common phenomena.
My sister claims she had an experience where she once saw her body from above.

I am not sure whether these experiences indicate an afterlife or perhaps just another aspect of the brain that isn't fully understood.
The tunnel of light is similar to what air force pilots experience before they blackout under G forces in their flight simulators, and seems to suggest that it is a normal brain function as the brain is shutting down....albeit temporarily.
As to the seeing people in the room and floating above the body experience......well perhaps it's another brain process......as the mind begins to shut down perhaps the brain activates another source of "vision" that normally is made via the eyes....and this source of vision is a few feet outside the body.....perhaps like a mirror.

So it may not actual be "afterlife" as such......but more to do with the mechanics of the brain that is still not really well understood today.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
For some it does and for others it does not. Everything you know and everything you are is energy. You've heard of past life experiences. Perhaps when you die enough of your energy remains together to form some version of yourself in another person. Perhaps it stays completely together and you exist on the other side of the veil. So yes and no.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

I am not sure whether these experiences indicate an afterlife or perhaps just another aspect of the brain that isn't fully understood.

Remember that these experiences are occurring AFTER a person has been clinically pronounced Dead on the operating table.
In reviewing the definition of being clinically dead it is defined as the lack of any measurable brain activity.

As to the seeing people in the room and floating above the body experience......well perhaps it's another brain process......as the mind begins to shut down perhaps the brain activates another source of "vision" that normally is made via the eyes....and this source of vision is a few feet outside the body.....perhaps like a mirror.

The point that you are simply overlooking is that fact that in all of these cases the individual was pronounced dead.

Once we are no longer providing oxygen to the brain There is no more brain activity to activate another source of vision.

The Brain is essentially offline and is out of the equation.

And as we know, If you are not resuscitated soon as in providing oxygen to the brain. Irreparable damage to the Brain will occur.

This is simple medical fact.

But what it does somewhat explain is how the dying process occurs.

There comes a point in which the body can no longer support the soul and the soul simply bails out...

Similar to a fighter pilot bailing out of a disabled aircraft. The Pilot has to make this determination before pulling the eject handle.

The fact that people who were resuscitated after being pronounced dead proves that the soul does continue to exist once the body is dead and is no longer capable of supporting life.

It that were not the case then it would be impossible to resuscitate someone who was technically and clinically dead.

Think about it....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I agree with your assessment. I do believe that we are powered by a life force which inhabits our bodies. Unfortunately, we do not find out the truth until that fateful moment.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

The point that you are simply overlooking is that fact that in all of these cases the individual was pronounced dead.

Well firstly I think that very few if any of the cases state that the person was actually "pronounced dead"....by the surgeon.

They may well have come round when perhaps the vital signs were not that of a normal functioning human being..........but I don't think the cases mentioned are the ones where the surgeon "pronounces" the death, they stop working on resuscitation, the "dead" patient gets sent to the morgue ........and then in the morgue the patient comes to.

Also you also have to consider whether our current equipment is sensitive enough.....to truly know when "death occurs".
Not so long ago......death was declared when the heart stopped beating, modern technology has moved that forward and we know work on the assumption that death occurs when we are brain dead.
But who is to say that in 50 or 100 years time.....our assumption about the point of death need to be rethought.......just like when we moved from "heart death" to "brain death".
Current technology may not be able to pick up brain activity under a certain level.........but what if computers and machine advanced so much that they now became 100 or even 1,000 times as sensitive as they are today?

Perhaps those future more sensitive machines can detect very faint brain wave activity that would actually mean that the patient was still alive, and not actually totally "brain dead".
There is still a heck of a lot to learn about the human brain.......and indeed a heck of a lot to learn from the "dying process".
edit on 28-4-2011 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have read an account where the person was dead and in the morgue for hours, and came back. I will see if I can find a link.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
You may as well ask: "Life before birth, does it exist?"

The answer of course, is yes.

Yes, this right here! I think that people are so preoccupied with an afterlife, that they forget about life BEFORE they were born. Have you ever stopped to think of where you were before you were born? Did you case to exist? Did you recently pass away as another human being and are now being reincarnated? It's very interesting, isn't it? And quite frankly, it sends a chill up my spine.

If this theory is true, isn't it fascinating (as well as redundant) to know tha we live one un-ending cycle of life where you are born, raised, and dead over and over again?

On to a better question.. what makes you...."YOU"? Are you the same person in every lifetime? Do you posess the same qualities and behaviours, just in a different body in a different location? Or does the history of events repeat itself EXACTLY, and you live the same life over again without realizing it?

Of course, we will NEVER know these answers, but if we did, I don't think there would be as much suffering in the world as there currently is.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

d

I Survived.....Beyond and Back

A great program, documenting numerous cases of individuals who have died and returned to the realm of the living.
Intriguing as to the similarities in their descriptions of how they describe their passing experience.

www.biography.com...

www.biography.com...

I would add more but my nice flatscreen monitor just blew a gasket....LOL

Forunately for me I build my own computer systems and had a back up monitor on hand in order to complete this reply....

Watch the program though....very interesting evidence.
gotta run...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If you seek knowledge of life after death there is a link to a site that will help you understand it: waterofshiloh.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I dont know if you could actually call it Life after death because your not actually breathing. I tend to side with spiritual exsistance after death , where your soul leaves and passes on to a higher level of exisistance .. Those are my thoughts on the subject and by the way many ancient people share this view so its over 14,000 BC years ago that this has been a issue .. now explain how and why that is ,, just saying id like to know too.. well somthing to ponder about anyways.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Absolutely...the "Life after Death" is moreso a modern colloquialism contrasting the predominating atheism based western belief that when we die, we simply no longer exist in any form whatsoever after expiring.

This is Science essentially contradicting and subordinating the common and ancient belief system of life after death, long established by Religions worldwide.

As a scientist, the majority of my scientific peers, except those of eastern upbringing generally feel this way.
That when we die, it is akin to pulling the plug and the lights are out after that.

I can also understand this perspective from a scientific basis. As I have pointed out, that we are electrical in nature and upon expiring this distinctly measurable electricity no longer exists.

But what the scientific and subsequent medical community are overlooking is the realm of the possibility of our science also limiting our understanding of the world around us.

For example, Lord Kelvin, the leading Scientist of the 19th century had said that heavier than air aircraft were scientifically impossible based upon Newton's laws of Physics.

Which is absolutely true if you simply drop an object with mass from a tree as Newton had done.
Due to the effects of gravity, it naturally falls to the ground

Interesting that the inventors of the Airplane, Wilbur and Orville Wright, had no formal scientific background whatsoever.

As a result they weren't brainwashed into believing this perspective as fact, especially since there already existed proof of heavier than air flight in nature, as far as the principles of flight employed by that of Birds.

It just goes to show that we don't know everything....that we Think that we know when it comes to science and medicine.

Here are an episodes of that program I'd mentioned " I Survived Beyond and Back" on Youtube.

I especially like this episode because it has a tremendous overall spiritual message that we all as humankind should begin to understand as far as life is concerned.

Here's the link incase it doesn't embed properly....or gets deleted...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-4-2011 by nh_ee because: Added content to concluding paragraph.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

Personally I think it's down to the individual person, if you believe there is life after this one then you will go somewhere but if you don't believe in it them you get nothing just darkness.

I'm not a believer in god or anything like that but I do believe that when I die I'll go and meet back up with my family and friends. I also think that we never leave this earth, the dead just walk among the living.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join