It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical New Quake Could Mean Impending Disaster For Japan

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Yes, this is definitely frightening for anyone on the Ring of Fire, including the Western States of the U.S. This will be a mega quake that will sink portions of Japan. I have been told to leave the low areas where I reside in Calif. and to go at least 1000 feet elevation. I have gathered all my gear and I am ready to leave. This quake has been seen to occur by remote viewers I personally know, before the end of April and likely, sooner than that.

The tidal wave that a mega quake like that will cause will be at least 1000 feet high, racing across the ocean at 1000mph. I pray to God there is a Divine intervention and that the severity of an apocalyptic size quake like this does not happen. I Bless all of the peoples on the West Coast from Canada down through Mexico, to be safe and survive. Everyone has an inner knowingness. Do not disregard what you feel and seek higher ground if you are feeling this too.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So just minor plate adjustments and nothing to see here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Right?

That 5.0 (red square) was right on the line. And as you can see, the zone of concern (Great Tokai quake expected) is right up top there. Just another perspective presented for those observing patterns in the quakes relative to the subduction zones. I guess this is getting boring, huh. Not for me.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I'm following right along. Boring - No, not to me either. Sitting here with my breathe held for quite some time waiting for the inevitable. IKD, a lot of folks are saying that the pressure is off as all the smaller quakes have distributed the stress of the 9.0 Japan quake. I am of the opinion that where is still a major adjustment pending and am quiet surprised that it has not already occurred. I guess time will tell.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I guess this is getting boring, huh. Not for me.

Not at all. In fact this thread has more relevance now--personally--considering I am back in Japan.
Out of interest, and speaking about Earthquakes, have you also been following the Cascadia plate? Isn't that another subduction zone which has been overdue for a large quake?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
No! Not boring! I've been following this thread from the beginning and find it one of the best of the Japan threads. Just saw documentary on the recent big quakes. They got to talking about Cascadia too and a scientist has discovered really super quiet quakes. Really deep. These quiet quakes have become pretty important, they think, because they could be the precursors of the mega quakes. Have you heard of these or been working with them? I wonder if they are happening on the subduction zone of this thread?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

You are talking about the deep tremors. I have a long, very detailed thread going about it if you are interested. You can find a link in my sig line.

I mentioned early on the same question about the possible implications in Japan regarding a deep tremor array study; if there was one in Japan and if so, could something be learned by it.

I have been discussing patterns and concerns on the cascadia subduction in both the deep tremor thread and more so on my washington thread.

I think there is a lot to be learned by what has and is happening in Japan; if we know where to look.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks! On my way to check out your sig threads

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
lol, ok....Just wondering if there were any readers left on this...

Yeah, westcoast's thread on the slow slip/creep in Washington is a great place for info, and a bit off topic here. I am concentrating on Japan in this one, sorry, no offense.

And as usual it is difficult to try and make any sense of it all. The Earth takes it's sweet time, and things can take a long time to manifest when it comes to plate tectonics. Case in point is the infamous New Madrid quakes. Big ones months or a year apart. But a better example and more comparable would be Chile or Sumatra. Big faults, big quakes. And now that they know what this area can produce a 9+, it enters the big leagues and will be studied with a renewed vigor from all the wealth of data they have gathered.

The primary concern is that the huge activity northeast in Japan will cause pressure loading of the Sagami Trough (ST) area (what I usually refer to as the southern subduction zone (SSZ), although the ST area is just a part of it).

And that is a very reasonable possibility, imo. I would say there is actual proof of this to a degree already with the quakes that have happened on the SSZ so far. The big question is, are those enough to alleviate the pressure induced on the SSZ from the huge activity northeast? Part of Japan cannot move as far as it did imo without loading up that SSZ with some kind of stress. Again, the issue is how much stress. We just don't know.

It seems stable for the moment though. Most of the extreme ground movement was further north, so that may help explain it. But lookout, is all I am saying.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Looks like you were right. 7.4 just hit.

My god, those poor people have been through enough. Praying that this won't be as bad, but so far it isn't looking good.

USGS

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CCKP72
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Looks like you were right. 7.4 just hit.

This 7.1 is just an aftershock of the 9.1, and is not on the SSZ. Remember, with the Global CMT Project changing the mag of the big quake to 9.1, it means there COULD be an aftershock of up to 8.0, depending on how liberally or conservatively you interpret the aftershock magnitude range of mainshock minus 1.1 to 1.5.

7.1 is easily in the range, and they have been fully expecting this. And they fully expect big aftershocks for months if not years on a quake as big as a 9.1.

From the USGS:

Tectonic Summary

The April 7, 2011 earthquake near the east coast of Honshu, Japan occurred as a result of thrust/reverse faulting on or near the subduction zone plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Pacific plate moves approximately westwards with respect to the North America plate at a rate of 83 mm/yr, and begins its westward descent beneath Japan at the Japan Trench. Note that some authors divide this region into several microplates that together define the relative motions between the larger Pacific, North America and Eurasia plates; these include the Okhotsk and Amur microplates that are respectively part of North America and Eurasia.

The epicenter and focal-depth of the April 7 earthquake are consistent with the event having occurred very close to the main interface thrust-fault of the subduction zone plate boundary. Preliminary focal-mechanisms, however, imply slip on a fault with steeper dip than that of the main interface thrust-fault, which may imply an intraplate source is more likely.

This earthquake can be considered an aftershock of the March 11, 2011 Mw 9.0 Tohoku earthquake. The aftershock sequence of that event has been ongoing since March 11, and has included 58 earthquakes of M 6 or greater up until April 7 2011, two of which were greater than M 7 (M7.7 and M7.9, both on March 11). Over the two days preceding the March 11 earthquake, a series of large foreshocks had occurred, beginning on March 9th with a M 7.2 event approximately 40 km from the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake, and continuing with another three earthquakes greater than M 6 on the same day. Prior to March 9 2011, the Japan Trench subduction zone had hosted nine events of magnitude 7 or greater since 1973. See the tectonic summary of the March 11 event for more details of the historic seismicity in this region.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Heh, I gotta get some sleep sometime. This 7.1 happened during my downtime, or of course I would have reported on it way before you saw it on USGS.
edit on Thu Apr 7th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Heh, I gotta get some sleep sometime. This 7.1 happened during my downtime, or of course I would have reported on it way before you saw it on USGS

And how would you have done that

The only reason I look at USGS is that they are faster than any other public sources, even if they mess around with the magnitudes afterwards.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

lol, oh come on muzzy, you're an ats vet. You know some of us use GEE, and we receive the data directly off the seismos, close to the same time the USGS gets it. The difference is they have got the best tools in the business to do calculations with, and it takes them longer to provide a wealth of info about the quake. Me, I just make somewhat educated guesses from what I see. But I do this all the time here. Are you blind?
j/k, but sheesh.

ETA: Also, the fastest chain of info on the bigger quakes is this:

1) NHK news organization alerted directly from the JMA on bigger quakes from the receipt of P-waves, so the info can be gotten to the public in Japan the fastest possible. That is absolutely the FASTEST info on big quakes anywhere in Japan, bar none.
2) The JMA lists the quake on their site. Many times before I even get the slightly delayed data directly off the seismograph in GEE, but mostly around the same time GEE users are just getting the first P-waves!
3) GEE users
4) other seismic services and the USGS, because they take time to calculate/assemble info, review, etc.

JMA blows all others away, period, as far as speed. But what do you expect? They are THERE.

edit on Thu Apr 7th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
A while back I was watching NHK live and they announced an earthquake was about to happen by about 5 before and switched to their camera on a high building waiting for the shake to come... and it did.

How do they know minutes BEFORE it hits? That was the one near Mt Fuji 6.2ish

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

lol, but zorgon I thought you knew this.
Must we go over it again? They are using the receipt of the onset of P-waves, and have this tied to an automated system that performs many functions instantaneously if ground acceleration exceeds a certain amount- in fact one amazing result of this is that because their train system is tied into it, they were able to slow all trains down automatically before the S-waves hit, and not a single train derailed in the big 9+.

That article was up on NHK's site a couple days ago, but don't see it now.

P-waves move faster than S-waves, and so they take advantage of the brief warning time.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
To True American: "and you thought thisthreadwasboring??? " Really like this thread btw

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

lol, ok....Just wondering if there were any readers left on this...

snip

This is one of the ones I have subscribed to, and I hop on here as soon as I see another post because I don't want to miss anything and I trust that you will highlight anything that should be looked at in further detail.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am still reading this thread
I may not have anything much for input, but very much appreciate all the work and research put into this thread!!

I grew up in southern California and in the 90s began dreaming of terrible earthquakes and tsunamis....it became so horrible (almost nightly) that I began to have anxiety. So I moved out of state LOL.....However, my parents and entire family still live just within a few miles of the beaches, so I still worry for them.

Now I live on the East Coast and worry about hurricanes and tornadoes

So Thanks TrueAmerican and friends for keeping it alive

edit on 9-4-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

You're welcome.

Ok, so now a new 6.1 quake has occurred, and I have a map I selected to show you the relevance to the SSZ near Tokyo.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Right on the smacking zone line.

What is going on with that plate? Just a minor adjustment, nothing to see. But still, needs to be documented. Cause if that SSZ goes, well....Let's hope it don't.

And just for the record, earlier there was a 4.0 right in northwest Tokyo:
www.jma.go.jp...

Another one you'd never know about if you just watch USGS.
edit on Sat Apr 9th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't how many of you looked, but this latest 4.9 hit in a 'new' spot a mere 23 km east of Tokyo.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Could be that it is just your normal, everyday 4.9 in Tokyo. The historical seismicity maps would tend to support that idea:

neic.usgs.gov...

Could be completely unrelated to the massive activity. Umm, yep...right.

I don't think so. I think what is happening is that the massive activity is causing pressure loading in the SSZ area, including Tokyo and surrounding areas.

Now a telltale sign of this would be if we got a bigger quake near Tokyo that would otherwise be out of the norm. Keep them eyes peeled.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
TA - I'm hoping this is the one I spotted a couple of days ago about 40 odd k from Tokyo - sorry it's an EMSC ref - but wondered if you'd seen it ?

www.emsc-csem.org...

and now today's one edges closer still.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join