It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 481.htm
<< 478  479  480    482  483  484 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
4 is a poolium powered neutron light house and I think the reason the glow went away ( if it did ) is because the main mass of the poolium has moved down closer to ground level ( oh I am almost certain the blue night glow is the beautiful fukushima poolium falls #4 submitted for your consideration by the new artist in the field of nuclear performance art : Tepco)

#4 was shut down for refueling and was not "hot" when the earthquake took place. Fuel was already taken out as I understand it.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricalEngineer41

he knows that he is talking about "poolium" as in from the spent fuel pool.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by ElectricalEngineer41

he knows that he is talking about "poolium" as in from the spent fuel pool.

OK, I wasn't sure what poolium was.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

the outer core originally was kept at just under atmo and filled with nitrogen at the beginning .

one unavoidable item is that these things have been hemorrhaging since the 13th which means THAT THEY HAVE ALL BEEN RELEASING VAST AMOUNTS OF RADIOACTIVE HYDROGEN AND ANYTHING THE HYDROGEN COULD BOND TO OR DRAG WITH IT AT EXTREMELY HIGH TEMPERATURE, so it would get very high in the atmosphere , and travel half way around the world , hey you listening EPA? are you ? it's impossible to white wash this fact

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Well there's a reason why they use it to encourage cvd, when you look at the chemistry hydrogen and nitrogen are both important ingredients. That and heat, around 500-1000C range. You'll get all sorts of interesting things coming out of that. I think there is definite potential here that they might be trying something real desperate and might be using some novel chemistry to try and deal with the crisis.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

hhmmm, i agree , but the unfortunately bit is if true it's on the down low which means a FAIL could exacerbate the trouble and they are non too certain that it will work.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I haven't seen this diagram anywhere in the thread, and I think we all respect Arnold Gundersen of Fairewinds Associates, so I thought it might contribute to the discussion here:

From Fairewinds Associates, Inc.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Restoring Stable Cooling Sstems May Take Time

In other words it may never happen at all.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
NoMoreNuclear
We must change the way we live, before it becomes mandatory......

www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-4-2011 by illumin8ted because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

4 is a poolium powered neutron light house

First time I laughed on this thread.....Thanks for the relief.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ted

You know after all of this I'm still not opposed to nuclear power. I thinks all these big reactors are a bit of a problem and we should have lots of smaller ones. Other than that we should get government out of the business of regulating nuclear power plants. They obviously can't do a good job at it. We need a private industry standard not dominated by government contractors.

I would be in favor of making it illegal for governments to nationalize nuclear industries like they have in the last 50 years. Governments with nukes are dangerous.

Government is the use of force. Government programs don't work, Bigger government programs (like this) don't work more.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I don't give up easily...I'm used to being called a fool. Just uploaded yesterday. April 1

Fukushima reactor 4

www.youtube.com...

More from same uploader of reactor 4.

www.youtube.com...

Both videos appear to be taken from a huge boom arm, very stable and great resolution...hmmmmm

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Is this one of the missing workers?

Has anyone noticed this yet? My apologies if it has already been mentioned, I'm catching up on thread. This is from the second video you mentioned. This "body-like" object appears at frames :06 - :24 in the video.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Firstly, I need to say that I was factually incorrect in my last post and I give my apologies for that. I'm afraid I've become a little rusty

Cherenkov radiation is caused by electrically charged particles moving faster through a medium than the speed of light in that medium.

So, gamma radiation *is not* a source of the blue light seen with this phenomenon.

That being said, it does require a significantly high index of refraction for this phenomenon to occur. In water, light travels about 30% slower than in a vacuum, but ionizing beta radiation particles (fast moving electrons) can travel faster than light in water.

However, there are other phenomenon that can produce "glowing" light when there is huge amounts of ionizing radiation are emitted in the air. For example:

en.wikipedia.org...

"Excitation energy can be deposited in air by a number of different mechanisms:

"Ionizing radiation is the cause of blue glow surrounding sufficient quantities of strongly radioactive materials in air, e.g. some radioisotope specimens (e.g. radium or polonium), particle beams (e.g. from particle accelerators) in air, the blue flashes during criticality accidents, and the eerie glow enveloping the mushroom clouds during the first several dozen seconds after nuclear explosions. This blue light is often incorrectly attributed to Cherenkov radiation. "

So, I personally believe that the blue flashes being seen are really happening, and are due to ongoing criticality events. It's not clear whether these are under water, or in the air - but either way they are unimaginably bad.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by Black Sheep

just by looking at the aerial photo I can almost guarantee you the higher elevations of the site were probably brought down to bedrock or the reactor level,
those slopes are man made 2:1 usually compacted every 2' minimum at least thats code in the US....

so all that dirt, it looks to be at least 300' maybe 400' tall in elevation
was removed and replaced by heavy equipment. the soil is the most important part of any building,

I think a big problem they are having is with movement in the soil. an earthquake this large probably moved that whole site all at once bringing everything out of alignment,
bedrock doesn't tend to give way so all the force went through the bedrock and into those reactor Bldgs..
the bldgs on the top of the pads would have moved separately.

Quoting to keep continuity.

Thank you for the detailed information. If I read your comments right, by being built directly on bedrock, more force is applied directly to the entire building. That said, it is interesting that the buildings in Toyko are isolated from direct contact with the ground and counter balances. All I can say is wow, this disaster has so many layers.

BlackSheep

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I would have to agree. Nuclear power is one of the cleanest and safest means to power vast areas, most of the time.
Just try not to build them in one of the most seismic locations in the world!
Not to mention tsunami alley.
This is like me saying "I am going to build the largest fireworks factory the world has ever seen! And I am building it at the base of Mt Etna."
These folks have hidden the truth about problems with these reactors for years, and now it is all going to come out in the open in a huge way. Cover enough s#@t up in you back yard, and eventually you will be covering s#@t with s#@t.
Starting to stink over there.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

also the HOT rods were in the storage pool with the 'not so hot' rods near the top of the reactor and off to one side in the 'pool' ( credit CHakotay for the term: POOLIUM meaning lava from the pool )

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by comawhite12
Just try not to build them in one of the most seismic locations in the world!
Not to mention tsunami alley.
Starting to stink over there.

Yes. As Professor Snape would say 'Obviously ...'

I don't know, 5 or 8 reactors, on the coast, NO ON THE BEACH!, where legends of monster tsunami's have existed in the the local society for over a thousand years, stories, artwork, folklore. All ignored!

Man can scientists in the west be DENSE sometimes ...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

??? you do realize that most of these plants have 10+ years of "waste" material stored in "low containment" pools above the reactor , right? and that (in the US ) "we have no end game or exit strategy for what to do with it " .

AND

PLUTONIUM is used ONLY because it is "surplus weapons grade material" that needs someplace to be dumped?

AND the THORIUM could be used WITH ALMOST NO THREAT EVER TO HUMAN HEALTH, and no possible way in any event to have a disaster like fukushima

also Fukushima's mark 1 reactors SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN LOADED WITH MOX becasue they lacked critical thermal expansion in case of an emergency, the only reason you think it's safe is because you are woefully under informed

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

sorry if I am 'posting over' someone but I am am not cauhgt up (p464) and have a bit that might be important for people to chew on :

Hey, you snooze, you lose.

At a glance it appears that three has powdered and discharged most of it's waste and core (some of which in the ocean inlet)

That is possible if the corium started melting through the floor when the original explosion at #3 occurred (which I am thinking may have happened). It doesn't mean the corium is not still reacting and producing heat and radiation; it means it is not flashing water into steam because it is being directly cooled by seawater. Still not a good prospect for the Pacific ocean... it means we haven't begun to see high oceanic radiation levels yet.

#2 should still have been a possibility , but after all this time there must also be a place for neutron energy and corium to escape so it is likely that we have a core breach that allows both and that has been flowing into the secondary and then out through breaks between the torus and teh outer containment

#2 has been troubling me as well. There was no massive steam explosion to indicate that the corium reached water, but it is a foregone conclusion that there was a meltdown. So where did that pile of corium go?

The only thing I can think of is it is still boring down but through rock instead of hitting the water table.

#1 looks to be a situation similar to a combo of two and three , so should be putting out more neutron energy that 3 but less than 2

I disagree; all of these corium piles are probably putting out about the same amount of radiation (well, #3 a little more because of the MOX fuel) and heat... it is just that they are apparently in different environments.

I wonder... on the last few pages we discussed the report of loud booms prior to the tsunami emanating from #4, as well as similar sounds on the video of the #3 explosion. The report of the booms at #4 prior to the tsunami were accompanied by reports of the building and surrounding asphalt cracking, meaning they were probably caused by seismic instability from the quake. Now, in #3 these sounds preceded the actual flash by about 90 seconds, indicating that they were possibly a precursor to the actual explosion. Both sets of sounds could have been created by the reactor pressure vessel cracking apart under seismic stress.

Now, that would mean little at reactor #4, since there was no fuel in the RPV in the first place. But at reactor #3, it could have given the corium a crack in the underlying bedrock to allow seawater into or underneath the containment. That could have been the source of the explosion, at least of the part that shot skyward.

Following this train of thought, the main RPV damage occurred at #4, then later at #3 under pressure from attempted shutdown. Unit #2 is next in line and has shown no steam explosion, but plenty of steam trails emanating from it, even though all reports have indicated meltdown. I submit that the quake opened up a crack in the bedrock underneath #4, creating the RPV breaches with the accompanying sounds after the quake, that then extended via aftershocks to #3 where it allowed seawater to quickly react with the corium. So far, #2 is unaffected and may simply be melting through solid bedrock without being exposed to enough seawater to cause an explosion, and #1 would be doing the same.

Of course, this would mean that the slowly falling, poolium powered neutron lighthouse that is #4 is of major concern, because there would be even greater chance of it encountering seawater. That, I believe, is why everyone seems so concerned about #3 and #4: they have the greatest chance under this scenario of contamination of the surrounding environment than #2 and #1.

WHY THE HELL IS AN AMERICAN BARGE BRINGING WATER ?????

I honestly can't figure this out... but I do know one thing: when authorities start acting completely contrary to logic, it means their goal is different from what we are expecting. When we figure out what they are actually trying to do, everything will make perfect sense.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Fukushima Nuke Workers Expect To Die

www.msnbc.msn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 478  479  480    482  483  484 >>

join