It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 100.htm
<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

This is going to be far worse than any thing Chernobyl threw out. One of the things people need to keep in mind here is that they were using MOX Fuel not uranium.

MOX fuel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Mixed oxide, or MOX fuel, is nuclear fuel containing more than one oxide of fissile or fertile materials. Specifically, it usually refers to a blend of oxides of plutonium and natural uranium, reprocessed uranium, or depleted uranium (eg 7% Pu, 93% U) which behaves similarly (though not identically) to the low-enriched uranium oxide fuel for which most nuclear reactors were designed. MOX fuel is an alternative to low enriched uranium (LEU) fuel used in the light water reactors that predominate nuclear power generation.

One attraction of MOX fuel is that it is a way of disposing of surplus weapons-grade plutonium, which otherwise would have to be disposed as nuclear waste, and would remain a nuclear proliferation risk.[1] However, there have been fears that normalising the global commercial use of MOX fuel and the associated expansion of reprocessing will itself lead to greater proliferation risk.[2][3]

en.wikipedia.org...

sherriequestioningall.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by kithylin

The official upgrades are irrelevant. One reactor is open and exposed. That is an uncontrolled meltdown. The ones next to it are being flooded with massive heat and radiation. They will melt down as well. And so on, like a chain of dominoes.

This is physics. Once Unit #2 reactor cracked open, it was over. We can no more stop this than we can extinguish the sun. We can try to save lives, try to prevent international contamination, try to evacuate the area, but we cannot change the laws of physics.

TheRedneck

Is Tokyo Electric going to have to "entomb" the entire power plant just like Chernobyl and then
just sit back and monitor the radiation?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

It looks the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant has its own page in history.
- Fukushima Nuclear Accident -

---------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not over yet. More additions will be made at this wikipage.
I look at this accident as another opportunity for growth. We just need to learn from our mistakes.
The reactors operated safely for 40 years.
GE just should placed those back up diesel generators in waterproof enclosures and/or relocated
them up on that hill and out of harms way from tidal waves.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A lot of people have compared this situation to nuclear bombs, but there is much more radioactive material in these reactor cores than there is in any nuclear bomb.

According to various sources that I have scanned through a typical modern BWR (boiling water reactor) like the ones at risk can be comprised of up to 74 to 100 fuel rods, consisting of between 100 to 140 tons of uranium, or other combinations of highly radioactive fuels, including plutonium.

A typical nuclear bomb contains mere pounds of these materials.

These BWR reactor cores are MASSIVE. and this example displays the complexity of the reactor core, containing the nuclear fuel(s) rods.

The huge core is at the center of the above reactor housing structure.

If these cores are breached, the release of radiation, and radioactive particulates will dwarf that of any release from a nuclear bomb.

If there is a complete meltdown, it will be even worse.

Food for thought.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Latest situation update from:hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 33
On 15.03.2011 at 15:25 GMT+2

France's ASN nuclear safety authority said on Tuesday the nuclear accident at Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi plant could now be classed as level six out of an international scale of one to seven. On Monday, the ASN had rated the ongoing accident at the plant, located 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, as a five or six. Level seven was used only once, for Chernobyl in Ukraine in 1986. The 1979 accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in the United States was rated a level five. "We are now in a situation that is different from yesterday's. It is very clear that we are at a level six, which is an intermediate level between what happened at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl," ASN President Andre-Claude Lacoste told a news conference in Paris on Tuesday. "We are clearly in a catastrophe," Lacoste added, citing the deterioration of the containment structure at Daiichi 2 as one of the key elements supporting the ASN's more pessimistic assessment. Two reactors exploded on Tuesday at the Fukushima Daiichi plant after days of frantic efforts to cool them. Japan, which rated the accident a four on Saturday, is under global scrutiny over its handling of a nuclear crisis triggered by a huge earthquake and tsunami that crippled three reactors and raised fears of an uncontrolled radiation leak.

Situation Update No. 32
On 15.03.2011 at 15:24 GMT+2

Japan's nuclear crisis is equivalent to number six on the INES scale of nuclear accidents from one to seven, Kyodo news agency quoted the French Nuclear Agency as saying. The 1986 Chernobyl disaster was a seven and Three Mile Island a five.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am so completely fed up with them wasting time, as if they're playing a game out til the bitter end. That leak in number 2 means all 6 reactors will completely melt down.

ALL OF JAPAN NEEDS TO BE EVACUATED ASAP. And it will take time, I know that.

Is there any talk of evacuating Japan, the nation, not little regions around the plant?

Who do you write to to, to get this info out and insist this needs to be done? Our leaders?
edit on 15-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Last I checked reactor #4 was on fire and spewing radiation into the atmosphere.

I don't care how they spin it, its a radioactive disaster if those Japanese do not start evacuating right now! Their will be casualties for decades to come from this.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Everything to the North will be a dead zone forever, or for countless thousands of years. The south will be very compromised, a sick zone. They need to move to the south and then be evacuated from that land mass.

I don't believe in nuclear power at all, its pure insane criminality. However, who would ever put 6 reactors together. It only takes one leak in a containment to affect the world. All the reactors go.

I heard these are US designs. Did the US renegades insist this plant be designed like this?
edit on 15-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

So what is your plan to evacuate millions of people from Japan?

Keep in mind that you are already dealing with severely damaged infrastructure including roads damaged, bridges, railroads, airport runways, and damaged sea ports.

Also, plan for mass panic, and complete chaos resulting in extremely high numbers of causalities.

Probably best that you minimize the actual severity of the situation, and tell the people to remain calm and to stay indoors... That may lead to radiation exposure, IF these reactors do melt down, but with the logistical nightmare of attempting mass evacuations, it is likely your only and best option.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

well that's nice to know, the smart People living in Japan, are already evacuating themselves.

Just feel bad for the Japanese, I don't think they know what's coming. Most of them at least.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

First, get them down south. They need food and electricity, generators if necessary. Bring out that free energy.

Second, it will take time, I know. Many will get sick, because the south is going to be compromised but not deadly zone like the north. So there is time, to take them off, with ships, planes, everything from all the nations.

I want to get our PM to invite them all here, we have plenty of land and resources. We can take them all in if necessary. However, there has to be a concerted effort from all the nations to take them out, in family groups, and keep going at it until the evacuation is complete.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

That fire was put out a long time ago..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I hope that the Canadian government is preparing.

No matter what happens, even if they completely get this under control this instant, I suspect we are about to be slammed with immigrants and refugees from Japan.

People who can leave and have family or contacts here are going to be coming, and when they get here, many of them are going to start the process of immigration. That's the BEST case scenario. 20% increase in claims from Japan starting yesterday. Best Case.

SLAMMED. 127 Million Japanese. 33 Million Canadians. Start contemplating, because if we don't start the process now of knowing what to do, and the worst case scenario unfolds we don't even begin to have the infrastructure or bureaucracy to manage what is going to happen.

We have holding areas, but there will be great distrust brought for the ones we have that might have the space requirements due to historical issues. Better start thinking about how to make those containment areas more cozy and less intimidating and nothing like the camps from WWII.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Evacuating an entire country sounds easy on paper or in your head but there are many other things to consider than just getting them out of there. I think your hearts in the right place but the logic behind it needs some serious planning. Not to mention I am pretty sure the citizens would not want to just walk away from their homeland at the snap of a finger.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancher1

That fire was put out a long time ago..

ah ok, everything is ok now..

is that the one with the breach? Or is that reactor #2 that's right reactor 4 is the one they think might blow up...

yet with all the misinfo out there who knows. I think the damage is already done.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I am frankly upset by the fact that -whoever, whatever- Govt is down playing this. Have we not heard over and over how calmly the Japanese have been during this crises?? Look at their country -- they have all rights to panic now... and yet they are calm. Standing quietly in lines. Not complaining. No looting or jacking up of prices is what I have heard. Overall, they aren't trying to take advantage of each other; in fact they are coming together as a country and it is quite inspirational. Have they not earned the right to know ??!!! Who is any government to withhold deadly information because they are afraid of a panic. What about when they heard the Tsunami sirens.. or the constant severe aftershocks.. they are surviving right now. LET THESE POOR PEOPLE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON !!! BE HONEST !! I hope the people who make the executive decisions about this know they will have the blood of thousands on their hands; may you never sleep at night !! Just put up a voluntarily evacuation outside of the 30km zone. They can handle it trust me ! It seems obvious to me that if people have the means to leave they should. And if everyone starts evacuating now then well at least it's a start. Every helicopter, plane and boat out of there is less and less death!

If your family member is dying but the doctors think there is a SMALL chance he might pull through; do they withhold the info that he could very well be dying because of the small chance he might not and don't want to upset the family?? I think any reasons as to why FULL information is not being divulged to the Japanese people is simply SELFISH !!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Once again I applaud your sentiment and way of thinking.
There's a small problem.
The Japanese are a proud noble race of people... I can't see them just 'up and leaving' their homes and I truly believe if their government tried to make them leave - the greater majority of them would choose to stay, might even fight to stay.

Does that mean I agree with (what I believe to be) their 'powers that be' downplaying the gravity of the situation?

ABSOFREAKINTUTELY NOT...

But, when all's said and done who's to say if keeping moral high is better than truth or not?

I for one, don't know.

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In case anyone was wondering

A total of 783 spent nuclear fuel rods were stored in the pool. At the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, three reactors--Nos. 4, 5 and 6--were out of service for regular inspections. About 300 to 500 spent nuclear fuel rods are also kept at the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 reactors.

I have seen higher figures out there, but this looked like a good source

Daily yomiri

link   
reply to post by Aeons

I really encourage you to start a thread concerning the issues you brought up in this last post. I so want to respond, and not completely positively, but, I don't want to derail this thread.

Seriously, start a 'Canada! Are we braced for the (Immigration) tsunami' (or whatever) thread, and let me know, I'll be there.

peace

link   
Be careful everyone on here stating the truth and the obvious
as these reactors spewing radioactive material is a VERY BIG DEAL
and people need to get away from it aka evacuate the area

Your a fear monger!!!!

So when I poise this question..

Would you rather tell the truth and be called a fear monger
or tell everyone it will all be OK while they are puking with
red eyes hair is falling out and skin is detaching from bone??

new topics

top topics

<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join