It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emergency broadcast system alert test happening often.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
so I don't mean to ask a stupid question or anything, but often different stations will conduct their own tests, I've seen 4 tests in one night, several months ago, but each was a different station and when you flipped the channel it went away. Perhaps your all on to something. We don't watch TV here at our house. We're not against it or anything, we just don't ever turn it on (actually, we have 3 TVs, and never turn them on) unless we're watching a movie or something, so I obviously haven't noticed anything. Keep the updates coming!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hi all... western NY reporting in. Can't say that I've seen any of the EBS alerts... as I don't pay that much to the TV when it's on anyway, but it is on for background noise so that when I am in my office and I hear nothing at all I get up and go take a look see. What I have noticed over the last 2 days is that 3 times the DirectTV box will cut out, I'll lose picture and then after about 30 seconds of this there is a notice on the TV from DirectTV that says something along the lines of 'sorry you lost your picture, the sun sometimes interfers with broadcasting, theres nothing we can do about this but your programing will return in a few minutes'. That is a very loose translation. Odd thing is that in all the years I've had DirectTV, I've not seen this message...ever.

Next time I have the radio on I'll see if there are any EBS alerts. Thanks for bringing this up. I'll definitely keep a closer eye on it from here.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bartibog
reply to post by jude11

I'm on the east coast too in Moncton and I've seen a few as well.

You mean that I'm NOT the only truther in Canada? Yay! lol

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Paranoid much folks? Or just short memories....

www.fcc.gov...

This is probably the government channels testing and hooking in to the local emergency broadcast systems to do tests and sync up their systems. Since the President now has the ability to do an EBS himself, he has to be able to reach each and every home in the country, so my guess is that they are just testing this system in different areas.

This system is old, been around for a long time in some cases never used, so I'm sure they are blowing off the dust on some of these things and cracking open 30 year-old manuals. If they have to play nice with a system in Washington that is all brand new and shiny, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these tests.

Or, something really really bad is going to happen. Whichever makes you feel better I guess?

~Namaste

ADD: Interesting to note that the head of FEMA is in charge of the system:

The President has sole responsibility for determining when the EAS will be activated at the national level, and has delegated this authority to the director of FEMA. FEMA is responsible for implementation of the national-level activation of the EAS, tests, and exercises.

edit on 10-3-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Upstate/western ny here.

Just about 2 days ago, I saw the test, and I thought to myself "wow, there have been a TON of these tests lately!"

Then wouldnt you know it, theres an ats topic on it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm a little confused as to what the problem is, so they are testing the ebs a lot, and that means..? Wouldn't you want the ebs to be in tip top shape when the poo hit the fan?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That's pretty odd. In Florida I haven't seen one this month yet (granted I don't watch TV as much). Either way, the siren gives me the worst chills

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Especially for you New Yorkers, here's my absolute favorite "emergency broadcast test":

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Isn't that convenient?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
No more than usual here in KY. I think I saw one on NBC 18 about 4 nights ago and that was it.

I always watch ABC 36 during the day when my soaps are on. And, they haven't done an EBS in about a month. At least not from 1pm-4pm.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by prolific

I've played that video a dozen times and I can't stop laughing every time I hear it.

I especially love when Napolitano says, "Are you kidding me?!" BEEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEP.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Paranoid much folks? Or just short memories....

This system is old, been around for a long time in some cases never used, so I'm sure they are blowing off the dust on some of these things and cracking open 30 year-old manuals. If they have to play nice with a system in Washington that is all brand new and shiny, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these tests.

Or, something really really bad is going to happen. Whichever makes you feel better I guess?

~Namaste

ADD: Interesting to note that the head of FEMA is in charge of the system:

The President has sole responsibility for determining when the EAS will be activated at the national level, and has delegated this authority to the director of FEMA. FEMA is responsible for implementation of the national-level activation of the EAS, tests, and exercises.

The systems have been updated - no dust

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Fellow Washingtonian here;
this morning around 8:20AM I was listening to 98.9FM and guess what, EAS broadcasting a message.

I have never heard an Emergency Broadcast on the radio before today.

More proof something is happening? Or are we all just paranoid like a previous poster suggests?

I think we will find out soon enough.

NOTE;
The increased EAS activity in conjunction with the "rumblings" and storm warnings is giving me reason to assume my emotions about a large event happening soon are correct. I guess we will see if anything happens...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CVinWA

So did you hear any of them tonight? I don't know what part of Washington you are in....but at about 3:25 they had an emergency broadcast for get this: High Wind Warning. We have a weather alert right now for sustained winds or 25-35 with gusts up to 50. We get wind like this ALL the time and I have NEVER heard a EBS for it.

Then....tonight at about 7:00 PM there was another broadcast that was a test for a neighboring county. So I have seen five on tv and two on the radio in three days. NEVER has this even come close to happening before. It is NOT normal.

And yes, I have been saying on other threads that I have a very bad feeling right now....If you haven't already, you may want to look at the threads in my sig since we are in the same state.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just saw this rather intriguing story:

The FCC has changed its Emergency Alert System rules to allow for national EAS testing and data collection from such tests.

--Radio World

And this:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued the final rule concerning tests of the “Emergency Alert System,” including broadcasts of “a national presidential alert.” The FCC final rule—Review of the Emergency Alert System—was posted on the Federal Register on March 8, 2011, the same day the regulation became effective.

--Government Video

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I suer wish I knew what the "data collection from such tests" entailed. What data, and how are they collecting it?

Anyhoo ... do you all think that the change to the Emergency Alert System rules "to allow for national EAS testing and data collection from such tests" could explain the sudden and widespread burst in tests everywhere?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Didn't you all knew? huh...
The US is ruled by the New World Order and it will soon happen, it will

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
wow this is crazy i just got done watching the jesse ventura conspiracy theories on police state and it got into fema and the camps, then i read this thread, and then i found on wiki that fema can control those tests. here is a wiki thread on the eas..

The Emergency Alert System (EAS) is a national warning system in the United States put into place in 1997, superseding the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) and the CONELRAD System. EAS has become part of IPAWS - the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System, a program of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). EAS is jointly coordinated by FEMA, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Weather Service (NWS). The official EAS is designed to enable the President of the United States to speak to the United States within 10 minutes (this official federal EAS has never been activated). The EAS regulations and standards are governed by the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau of the FCC. Each state and several territories have their own EAS plan.[1]

The EAS covers AM, FM and Land Mobile Radio Service, as well as VHF, UHF and cable television including low-power stations. Digital television and cable providers, along with Sirius XM satellite radio, IBOC, DAB and digital radio broadcasters have been required to participate in the EAS since December 31, 2006.[citation needed] DirecTV, Dish Network and all other DBS providers have been required to participate since May 31, 2007.

glad i live in canada

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Glad someone posted about this. Its not just america but here in england too. Happened 3 times last night alone. Screen goes blank for a few seconds, i know its an ebs test as i have seen them before. In fact it spooked me enough to get dressed just in case

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfox83

I'm a night owl and notice that the Emergency Alert system occurs usually once a week at around 3:00-3:30 AM on a week night. I have been very sensitive to these alerts because I live with my girlfriend in a very small apartment and we sleep out in the living room many nights so that we can fall asleep to the tv. I'm usually up and watching tv due to my insomnia tendencies and my gf is usually passed out because she has to wake up early for classes and is just not a night owl like me. I always have to quickly grab the remote and mute the tv when these tests come on tv because they are extremely loud/annoying and wake up my gf if I do not mute it in time.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the night/early morning of the quake, I believe it was March 10 or 11, the alert system went off. I thought it was just another test and scurried to grab the remote. Due to it being so early in the morning and the fact that I was not watching the news at the time, I had no idea the Japan Quake had happened. When I looked at the tv and saw the EAS message, instead of it saying "Test", it said "Tsunami Alert". This obviously really freaked me out and I quickly changed the channel to the news and that is how I learned about the Quake.

As far as the uptick in Emergency alert tests, I truly havn't noticed it. I have had the tv on and it has been on all hours of the night. The last test I saw, was the early morning "Tsunami Alert" the day of the Japan Quake. I believe that everyone is being truthful in stating that they are seeing the alerts more often, but is it possible that we are just more aware of it now after this major event? Is it possible that this catastrophe has lit a fire under our emergency service bodies to get their preparations/act together in case of a future calamity? Sometimes it takes a major event for people to seriously start taking measures to prepare for future disaster.
edit on 13-3-2011 by KanyeMiddleEast because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join