It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North NJ, Loud Rumblings (3/10/11)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am in Essex County and last night between 1:00 and 2:00am I noticed this very loud noise that resembled thunder, or a large airplane engine that would last in bursts of 1:00 - 2:00 minutes. While we do have an airport close by, my house is not situated in a position where we get loud planes. And the sound was not typical by any means.

I got out of bed the 3rd time I heard it and stuck my head out the window to get a better fell for it. It sounded low on the horizon but only a few miles south. While we did have rain last night it certainly would not surprise me to learn it is a specific kind of thunder, but the odd thing is how loud and distant it sounded and how abruptly it ended. Sounded like it was simply shut off. I would imagine that being at the epicenter of the noise would be so loud that it would be construed as an earthquake.

Also I have ruled out air planes, since the sound did not have a travel a path, it was always coming from the same direction and not moving.

Thankfully I was not the only one to hear this, as our town message board had a few people talk about it.

Local Forum - Under Categories it is South Orange Specific and the Subject is - Lots Of Planes.

did the airport change the flight patterns again? i must have hear at least twenty-five planes in the last twenty minutes

I am wondering about all the noise,too. The sounds come and go so quickly. I'm glad someone else heard it too. It's weird.

Is that what those strange noises are?

Same here! I thought we were under attack -- now there are birds making all sorts of noises too.

The planes aren't flying over. It sounds like they are revving their engine for takeoff.

The following posts really interested me because they are from the other side of town (2 miles) and they were under the impression it was coming from where I live. Yet to me it sounded even further south.

I thought I was the only person who could hear this! I'm between Wyoming and Ridgewood and called a friend who lives over by Scotland Rd. in Orange and while on the phone we both heard it. At first I thought it was some sort of low thunder coming in with the rain we are supposed to be getting, but it lasts much longer then thunder. It almost sounds like the rumblings of a small earthquake or some sort of shifting in plates, with the reverberations after wards.

The sound isn't coming from the sky -- it seems like it's coming from the SO Village (I'm near Redmond / Wyoming).

Heard it on Midland in Maplewood as well. Sounded like an earthquake I experienced when I was younger, but that was one long sound, rather than a bunch of short ones. Hope we find out what it was.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Very interesting. I am in NE Ohio and yesterday it rained steadily the entire day. Sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 am I stepped out into my garage for a smoke. I heard what I thought was a jet, however, as I listened more intently I noticed it was a low rumble. It almost sounded like the rumbling of an earthquake yet not as loud, and it was coming from above. I can remember waiting for the ground to start shaking beneath me. Of course the ground never shook, however, the rumbling continued for the entire time I was outside, approximately 10 minutes.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
how did you feel whilst it was happening?

funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by funbox
how did you feel whilst it was happening?

funbox

Scared! It woke me up. First I thought it was a plane about to crash. Upon further investigation I noticed the sound was constant and never traveled a path that would suggest a plane. I thought earthquake, but nothing has been reported. Watched the news all morning and nothing has been noted or reported. However I did send letters anyway to the local new outlets.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Very interesting. I am in NE Ohio and yesterday it rained steadily the entire day. Sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 am I stepped out into my garage for a smoke. I heard what I thought was a jet, however, as I listened more intently I noticed it was a low rumble. It almost sounded like the rumbling of an earthquake yet not as loud, and it was coming from above. I can remember waiting for the ground to start shaking beneath me. Of course the ground never shook, however, the rumbling continued for the entire time I was outside, approximately 10 minutes.

Sounds similar. While the sound didn't last here for 10 minutes. It did last for up to 2 minutes at a steady rate in one spot. And occurred at least 30 times in a span of an hour and a half - 2 hours.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

hehe even now, you sound a little plucked , all your feathers in a ruffle, its great when we have personal challenges that make us a little uncertain, keeps us feeling all real and shiny
, i thought maybe a meteor , but to many reported that it wasn't coming from the sky , but then if it was an earthquake , and it was that loud , why was there no shaking?

curious and fishy all at the same time

Funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

hehe even now, you sound a little plucked , all your feathers in a ruffle, its great when we have personal challenges that make us a little uncertain, keeps us feeling all real and shiny
, i thought maybe a meteor , but to many reported that it wasn't coming from the sky , but then if it was an earthquake , and it was that loud , why was there no shaking?

curious and fishy all at the same time

Funbox

Very odd, I am not sure. Plucked indeed. Someone on the board described it as a noise that would be associated with an earthquake, yet no shaking or movement or reports via local outlets. I was so very thankful to see a thread about this (on my local forum) when I woke up. At least I was not alone.
Being alone sucks.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Sounds similar. While the sound didn't last here for 10 minutes. It did last for up to 2 minutes at a steady rate in one spot. And occurred at least 30 times in a span of an hour and a half - 2 hours.

sounds to me that this is no earthquake , regularity would suggest unnatural forces at work.

was thier a hint of any high frequencys to the sound ? keeping a steady pitch or oscillation ?

funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Wow, this is very strange to see this thread. I live in upstate New York, and last night around 11pm, I was sitting on the couch, it sounded like a plane was about to land in the living room. Thing is, there were no planes around. I thought maybe a snowplow, but there was no snow, it was raining. It lasted about the same length of time. 1-2 minutes. The house shook. The windows rattled. I thought I was in Donnie Darko and a jet engine was about to fall on me as a demented looking bunny waved good bye. To my relief that did not happen.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

sounds to me that this is no earthquake , regularity would suggest unnatural forces at work.

was thier a hint of any high frequencys to the sound ? keeping a steady pitch or oscillation ?

funbox

The level of the noise was consistent as was the pitch. But I did not notice an other noises or frequencies accompanying it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Glad to know i wasnt going crazy

i live in South NJ (Camden) and i have been hearing rumbling not as loud as that so i'm guessing the source of it is closer to North NJ, i didn't hear it last night i can only hear it when everything is quiet in my house but i 1st heard it around the beginning of February and since i have school i haven't been able to stay up to see if i can hear it on a regular basis but spring break is coming up and i will be checking at least one night to see if i can hear it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

then this would suggest a strong localisation. it would be interesting to get up a map of the area and get some triangulation on the go ... see what's about ..if this is inconsistent to an earthquakes normal patterns maybe something on the surface can point to it.

funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

then this would suggest a strong localisation. it would be interesting to get up a map of the area and get some triangulation on the go ... see what's about ..if this is inconsistent to an earthquakes normal patterns maybe something on the surface can point to it.

funbox

Unfortunately I have to go to work now, but the sound (TO ME) appeared to be @ 5 miles south of here (South Orange, NJ). I wish I had time to search other towns message boards and news that are in the direction I heard it.
Check back in later. Thanks for listening (no pun intended).

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

funbox

The level of the noise remained constant the entire time I was outside. Not even the slightest change in pitch. It was a low rumble. The weird thing about it was that I found it to be very annoying. I can't describe it. It just made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm in Union County, NJ (just south of Essex) and now that you mention it, I heard/felt something as well between the 1am-2am hours as well while I was watching some TV. However, between the weather forecast, and living relatively close to EWR airport, I just brushed it off as thunder, or planes flying a little lower than normal due to the clouds rolling in.

It was odd enough for me to take note of though. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was something else, because of the fact that it seemed like a constant drone at a pretty low frequency.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AJ1123TKE

what did you Feel? internal or external?

funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

was the uncomfortable feeling similar to hearing , say like chalk on a board, fork on a plate. did it resonate in the jaw uncomfortably?

funbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I live in GR and two nights ago we had a rain cloud system coming in. First I had heard some gunshots in the neighborhood, so I was listening closely outside. Then I heard a rumbling very much like you and the OP have described. Probably just thunder I though, kind of a low rumble thunder, no lightning or anything like that.

GR = Grand Rapids, Michigan
edit on 10-3-2011 by skylightsintheillions because: clarification of location station

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I full know that this post will get me labeled a "nutter" or worse; but there is a battle raging in a close dimension to ours and the sounds you hear are "bleed over" thru the portals.

Unexplained flashes of light are a result of these battles also. I too have heard the low frequency rumblings and seen the light flashes, here in the SW.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I full know that this post will get me labeled a "nutter" or worse; but there is a battle raging in a close dimension to ours and the sounds you hear are "bleed over" thru the portals.

Unexplained flashes of light are a result of these battles also. I too have heard the low frequency rumblings and seen the light flashes, here in the SW.

I am not calling you a nutter.
I am interesting in hearing any more info you might have regarding the subject of your post.
If you don't want to elaborate here, U2U would be fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join