It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North NJ, Loud Rumblings (3/10/11)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I seriously thought it was an earthquake. I kept looking down the road to see if the houses were going to begin to shake as the "wave" progressed toward me. Thankfully it wasn't and no shockwave ever arrived.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I can understand that. It does sound very ominous some nights. I will say that the sound differs in strength. Sometimes the house walls vibrate...other times I can only hear it but feel nothing at all. There were even a couple of times that I thought it was possibly landing on my or my neighbor's lawn!

The strange thing though is that my dogs do not react at all. I couldn't hear them if they went out and barked, but inside the house they show no reaction whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
.I would still like to know what it is though.

My community forum is trying to draw the conclusion that:
a) New flight path from the FAA has cause increased plane traffic in our area, however upon looking into this further I have found that the FAA has not implemented it due to opposition, but they are hopeful they can start this in September 2012. Also the sound did not follow a path as a plane would do.

b) construction on highway 78 and Garden State Parkway. Seems the most logical but the sounds were hardly mechanical, but certainly worth investigating. I am about 10 miles from said location and if I hear it tonight I will be driving over to see what kind of work is being done.

I still feel it is some kind of weather phenomenon. Very unusual.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I am in Bergen County, and I heard something that woke me up in the early hours. I was so tired I rolled over and tried to go back to bed. Looking back now I should I have gotten up and went outside
Who would have thought anything interesting would happen in NJ. Hopefully whatever it was isn't serious...........

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I live in Union county, Got an airport in my town Linden, and then there's Newerk Intl airport like 15 minutes away. I saw a glowing blimp like thing in the night sky once, 10:30pm. That time is like burned into my brain because of how odd this blimp thing was. It was big orange flying thing, going west not too high in the sky. And it had a red light on top, like a siren light that was revolving around in a circle. Weirdest thing was that this red siren light was more of a laser, and even though that thing was in the sky and flying away from my house, I saw a tiny laser pinpoint coming through my window. It's crazy. right??
edit on 10-3-2011 by RadarMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So I live on the West Coast of Washington State and have been experiencing what sounds like the same thing since December of last year. I had heard it a couple of times before but never as loud and it is almost constant now.

I managed to record some of it when it was at its loudest, but it is still hard to hear because it is so low....but members here on ATS helped me to 'pull' and analyze the recordings. You might find it interesting, at least to see if it sounds the same. The link is in my sig....the Rumblings one.

I have always thought it was geological in nature.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
something about this is beginning to creep me out a little, night y night

underthebedbox

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Let me share with you brother what some of my contactee friends told me like 15 years ago : "There will be a time when the airplanes won't be able to fly".

In those days I found very hard to understand how such a thing can happen, not anymore.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I looked into the changing flight plans, and found the same 2012 start date.

Further, the Garden State Parkway could blow up and I wouldn't even hear it or see anything. I live about 15 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Wow I usually always check things that are weird and last evening I also heard something strange but I didn't even check the clock for the time.

It was really loud.....I thought for a minute maybe Boeing had a few Chinooks incoming low but to be honest that never happened before. It lasted almost a minute and now I could kick myself for being to comfy and not wanting to get up and check it out.

It's was raining lightly here also and it was not thunder, I am in Southeastern PA. near the Delaware/NJ border almost.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarMan
I live in Union county, Got an airport in my town Linden, and then there's Newerk Intl airport like 15 minutes away. I saw a glowing blimp like thing in the night sky once, 10:30pm. That time is like burned into my brain because of how odd this blimp thing was. It was big orange flying thing, going west not too high in the sky. And it had a red light on top, like a siren light that was revolving around in a circle. Weirdest thing was that this red siren light was more of a laser, and even though that thing was in the sky and flying away from my house, I saw a tiny laser pinpoint coming through my window. It's crazy. right??
edit on 10-3-2011 by RadarMan because: (no reason given)

Now that's interesting.. Can't say that I saw anything in the sky, but it just started to become over cast and I could still notice far distant planes and stars, but nothing closer than that.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It is possible that it is either thunder or planes. If it indeed was raining, it is possible that there were embedded thunderstorm clouds within the rain band.

On the other hand if it were planes, and there were low clouds, it is possible that the sound waves were beneath the cloud layer, rebounding off them, allowing them to travel further before they dissapated

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

I live in the same area and heard it last night around 10:00 -10:30. This is far from the first time I've heard it though. It made my wall vibrate.

Picatinny Arsenal???

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
It is possible that it is either thunder or planes. If it indeed was raining, it is possible that there were embedded thunderstorm clouds within the rain band.

On the other hand if it were planes, and there were low clouds, it is possible that the sound waves were beneath the cloud layer, rebounding off them, allowing them to travel further before they dissapated

Thanks for chiming in Oz. I think I have ruled out planes only because, there was no path of sound. In other words it did not traverse across the sky. It seemed to be coming from a specific direction every time. Also the length was anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. Does thunder reverberate for such a period?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I can only rule out thunder. I have gone out on my deck several different times while I heard it and saw a perfectly clear night and still saw nothing .

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by observe50

I live in the same area and heard it last night around 10:00 -10:30. This is far from the first time I've heard it though. It made my wall vibrate.

Picatinny Arsenal???

I am familiar with Picatinny Arsenal. It very well could have been occurring here at 10:30ish, but I can't say for sure since there is nothing but traffic here on a busy street till midnight or so. It wasn't till I layed in bed, shut off the lights and closed my eyes that I realized the noises.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That's true and I forgot all about it. The sound does come from a specific location and it does not traverse the sky. It stays constant throughout the 30 - 60 seconds I hear it although the wall vibrating isn't constant and is not always present.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Also Oz, I just want to note that this was before the rain started. It was slight overcast but I was still able to see stars and distant planes. Could the overcast clouds contain such thunders as well? Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've been following the thread and had no intention of a reply. But am I the only one in West TN who heard it?
Last night, sometime after 10pm, we sat down to watch some tv. This low rumbling started. We aren't too far from I-40, so first I assumed that it was some truck on the interstate. The rumbling persisted, so it couldn't be a interstate truck. Then maybe it's a plane, huge maybe? Nope, after a quick check outside. Distant blinking lights from FedEx traffic as usual. Went back to bed and it continued for about another minute. Put it out of my mind until I read the thread.

After a search of "low rumbling in Tennessee", a hit turned up for an old article from Scientific American dated 1860. The text is a strain to read, but it tells of meteors causing a low rumbling 6-8 minutes long. Take a look at the article.

Scientific American 1860
Page 150 Article Title "The Year of Great Meteors"

I don't know if it is a meteor or meteors, but I just thought I'd share something reported from a time gone by.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sheeplemama_awakening

Sorry for the long quote, but the article is a great strain to to the eyes.
However I noticed a "plain text" option"

THE YEAR OF GREAT METEORS. Four great meteors have been seen in the United States within less than a year. At half-past nine, iu the forenoon of the 15th of November, one passed over a portion of Connecticut, New York City and the southern pnrt of New Jersey, in a S.S.W. direction. On the 21st of hist April, one passed over Ohio, exploding with a loud report, and sending numerous large fragments to the ground. On the 20th of July the most famous of all rushed over this section in a S.S.E direction. It was seen from Minnesota to the cast end of Long Island, and far out at sea. On the 2d of August a very bright one passed over Tennessee. Of this latest of these startling visitors we have received the following description from a spectator; and we had written a long article to accompany the communication for our last number, but both the article and letter were "crowded ont." It is probable that most of our readers have seen an account of the great Tennessee meteor before this time, but we publish our correspondent's graphic description in order that our paper may contain a full record of these phenomena in this extraordinary year:— Mkssrs. Editors:—Our citizens were thrown into great excitement last night by a very large light that started in the nerial regions from the direction of the moon (southeast), and passed rapidly to the northwest, making a whizzing noise. The brightness of the light was no less than that of the noonday sun. This occurred about 10.30 P.M. Not a cloud was to be seen. The moon shone forth in all her brightness; but while this great light was passing, which was followed by a long trail of sparks, the moon was not to be seen any more than we can see it at mid-day. About five minutes after the light was gone out of sight, a loud report was heard like the report of a cannon, which was soon followed by another loud report. The reports echoed and reverberated for six or eight minutes, when the sound gradually died away like the rumbling of distant thunder. This was seen and heard at all the neighboring villages. Will some astronomer explain this grand and singular phenomenon? • S. D. Stout.

The article is no doubt interesting but the sounds described in the article faded out as thunder would. The one thing that sticks out about the noise last night was it's abrupt stopping.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join