It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas is at 8.56 dollars/gallon this very moment!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

Your monthly wages are perfectly in line with an average white american male (it pains me to say that women, blacks, and hispanics lag behind white males in compensation). So, yes, proportionally, you do pay a lot more for gas.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
premium is still $4.17 here in northern Cali. diesel is. $4.39...
regular is $4.00

vomits in mouth...

Someone has to explain this to me... There is about 90% more processing required to make gasoline as opposed to diesel fuel. So WTF is diesel priced higher than gasoline since it is both labour and process LESS INTENSIVE?

All I can figure is diesel vehicles get better gas mileage and what these oil biatches are doing is equalizing the cost per mile and thereby making 100% to 200% more profit on diesel over gasoline.

Apart from that, there are 4.56 liters in an imperial gallon, gasoline in my area is around $1.18 CDN (probably one of the lowest cost areas) and we are basically at par with the US dollar. That would make gasoline in Canada AT LEAST $5.38 per gallon.

If anyone wants to start a gasoline or tax revolt in Canada, I'm in! I've had these scumbag politicians and bankers in chunks, the f...k...rs give me worms and it's about time we started investing in a good Hemp rope industry in Canada.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Diesel doesn't fluctuate as quickly as gasoline. Sometimes it is higher sometimes it is lower. Diesel is more critical for the infrastructure of the nation. It is often bought on long term contracts for corporate and industrial users. Even jets use kerosene, which is just a cheaper diesel.

So when gas shoots up, diesel lags behind for awhile, it eventually catches up, and then when gas comes back down, diesel stays up there awhile. It is just a different type of supply and demand.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Diesel used to be cheaper, but when the gas prices started to rise in 2006, the oil and gas companies must've figured that the majority of people in the U.S. who drive diesel vehicles (semis, delivery vans, work trucks, etc.) had to drive for their jobs, they decided they could raise the price of diesel and make gas cheaper.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You forgot full coverage car insurance.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tollon
I think gas prices are way too high and I often see in this forum that americans in particular complain about the high gas prices.
I also listen to Coast to coast am and they often talk about that gas prices in America soon will be 5 dollars/gallon and they all think it's terrible.

To give you some perspective on things I recalculated my gas price that I paid today into dollars and gallons ( in Sweden we use liters and swedish kronor).
The price we pay is 8.56 dollars/gallon.

This is the price in a modern european country.
If you americans think you have it bad now, get ready for things to come.
...Despite what americans think about their gas price - fact is that you get it cheap compared to many others around the world. Even compared to most in other modern, western countries.

So swedes makes so much money that they can afford to pay those prices you think?
Think again.
I make about 3000 dollars/month after income taxes are paid and are supposed to get by with a gas price at 8.56 dollars/gallon.
I might be paid slighly below the average swede ... but I don't think the average swede makes more then maybe 3500-4000 dollars/month after tax.

I have no idea what the average american gets paid, but I suspect it is more then that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you generally earn more and pay less for gas then I do.

I'm glad you get away with it, I just thought I'd put your gas price in perspective for you, and prepare you to what to maybe expect in the future.

is your 3,000 dollar per month income in your currency or did you convert it to US dollars?

based on the information on this site alone
Average U.S. Income
the average monthly income would be approximately 4,333 u.s. dollars and that is before the the compulsory 24% would be deducted for taxes.
But, that is not a good overview of American society as the larger percent of the workforce doesnt work in these fields but rather as laborers in factories and warehouses, or in the hospitality business where pay rates might reach 9-10 per hour....that averages out to about 1,600 us dollars before a compulsory 16% tax...minimum

look at this page as well, though the information is from 2005 but i assure you our economy and pay rates have not improved since...
2005 average US salary
if you scroll down to see the "Construction average income" that is the field i do the most work in...

so please tell me about what i can expect in the future

edit on 9-3-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

LOL! Yes, and I was conservative on taxes, fees, licensing, and the like. I didn't include trash service, or cable TV, or Cell Phone bills.

It is virtually impossible to live a lower-middle class lifestyle on two average incomes with 2 kids in the family. Credit cards are almost a necessary evil, and then we look for that next tax return or windfall from some insurance settlement or inheritance before we can almost catch up the credit cards, and then we just immediately start to charge them back up, because we don't have a choice. We are slaves to debt, and the only way out is to get out of the system, but when you have kids it doesn't seem fair to them. So, we struggle with it for our kid's sake, but then they growing up thinking the struggle is the norm, so they fall into the same trap.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CerBeRus666
Hello, my Swedish friend. Don't be so down, you live in one of my favorite countries, one of my retreats, and a place where I do some work.

I'm always happy in your beautiful country, and think it's one of the best places to live. Taxes are high, and so is the cost of living, but you have the best "safety net" in the world. Thought I'd share this site with you:

www.worldsalaries.org...

P.S. » Count yourself fortunate, Sweden didn't fall into the "EURO trap"...

You are absolutely correct. Beautiful, high cost and safe just about summarize living in this country.

Thank you all others as well that pointed out to me what the average american earns.
I had no idea...
It's all of course relative to the cost of living, but I generally thought that the average middle class american earned more then what you pointed out. Thanks for correcting me.

I just have to say that I don't really buy into the idea that the average american drives more just because you live in a bigger country.
Sure, Sweden is tiny compared to USA, but it's still one of the biggest in Europe, in size.
And one of the less populated ones.
Which makes us live in a relatively (in european terms at least) big country, but there are few of us and we are spread out in a big area.
Which make it probable that the average swede actually have a longer drive to get to work then the average american despite living in a smaller country.
I think it all equals out pretty much in the end if you calculate on it.

Anyway, thank you all for your good input.
And you are right about oil producing countries having lower gas prices as well.
Unfortunately for us, our good neighbours the norwegians, took all the oil in this region for themselves and left us with none. Lucky baschtards haha

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadicalRebel

I think gas prices are way too high and I often see in this forum that americans in particular complain about the high gas prices.
I also listen to Coast to coast am and they often talk about that gas prices in America soon will be 5 dollars/gallon and they all think it's terrible.

To give you some perspective on things I recalculated my gas price that I paid today into dollars and gallons ( in Sweden we use liters and swedish kronor).
The price we pay is 8.56 dollars/gallon.

This is the price in a modern european country.
If you americans think you have it bad now, get ready for things to come.
...Despite what americans think about their gas price - fact is that you get it cheap compared to many others around the world. Even compared to most in other modern, western countries.

So swedes makes so much money that they can afford to pay those prices you think?
Think again.
I make about 3000 dollars/month after income taxes are paid and are supposed to get by with a gas price at 8.56 dollars/gallon.
I might be paid slighly below the average swede ... but I don't think the average swede makes more then maybe 3500-4000 dollars/month after tax.

I have no idea what the average american gets paid, but I suspect it is more then that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you generally earn more and pay less for gas then I do.

I'm glad you get away with it, I just thought I'd put your gas price in perspective for you, and prepare you to what to maybe expect in the future.

is your 3,000 dollar per month income in your currency or did you convert it to US dollars?

based on the information on this site alone
Average U.S. Income
the average monthly income would be approximately 4,333 u.s. dollars and that is before the the compulsory 24% would be deducted for taxes.
But, that is not a good overview of American society as the larger percent of the workforce doesnt work in these fields but rather as laborers in factories and warehouses, or in the hospitality business where pay rates might reach 9-10 per hour....that averages out to about 1,600 us dollars before a compulsory 16% tax...minimum

look at this page as well, though the information is from 2005 but i assure you our economy and pay rates have not improved since...
2005 average US salary
if you scroll down to see the "Construction average income" that is the field i do the most work in...

so please tell me about what i can expect in the future

edit on 9-3-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

It's converted into dollars. About 20000 kronor in swedish currency. 1$ = 6.3222 swedish kronor today (boy, that dollar is sure falling, a few years ago I remember it was about 1$ = 9-10 swedish kronor!!).

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Diesel doesn't fluctuate as quickly as gasoline. Sometimes it is higher sometimes it is lower. Diesel is more critical for the infrastructure of the nation. It is often bought on long term contracts for corporate and industrial users. Even jets use kerosene, which is just a cheaper diesel.

So when gas shoots up, diesel lags behind for awhile, it eventually catches up, and then when gas comes back down, diesel stays up there awhile. It is just a different type of supply and demand.

It is a reason but it's not a good one. It's like saying inflation rises and falls because of the FED, again, a reason, but not a good one. An accurate answer would be that that a bunch corrupt scumbags are in control who generally want to suck the life out of everyone which applies to both the price of gasoline and inflation.

Btw, I have designed a good number of Process Control and Analytical Instrumentation systems for oil refineries. Prices should be determined by cost with a reasonable profit built in, not by commodities bankers and futures analysts.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
sounds alot to me, but i do not have to worry about filling my car up. it might not be practical to some and i know others would miss driving or miss getting around without excerising, but if the prices are that bad and it is possible to walk/cycle, then you only have yourselves to blame for paying those prices.

the future of america and britian?

edit on 9-3-2011 by lifeform11 because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
$4.02 Los Angeles.

link   
Crap my car hasn't seen a full tank of gas in years!!! I'm not sure if the gas gauge still goes up that high, my luck it would probably spring a leak or something if I ever filled it up that much..

link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

Diesel used to be cheaper, but when the gas prices started to rise in 2006, the oil and gas companies must've figured that the majority of people in the U.S. who drive diesel vehicles (semis, delivery vans, work trucks, etc.) had to drive for their jobs, they decided they could raise the price of diesel and make gas cheaper.

Increasing the price of diesel was simply a way to accelerate inflation, decrease buying power and shift funds to people who already had way to much. The whole thing has to do with incremental effects that will eventually produce semi-autonomous totalitarian state(s) controlled by corporate unelected management, which of course makes global mergers and acquisitions much simpler.

The way things are going, if I was going to invest in anything right now it would be a rope manufacturing company, because I think there's going to be a real demand for it in the not too distant future.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It's converted into dollars. About 20000 kronor in swedish currency. 1$ = 6.3222 swedish kronor today (boy, that dollar is sure falling, a few years ago I remember it was about 1$ = 9-10 swedish kronor!!).

Yes...yes it is...

i dont own car and have really only ever owned one for no more than 6 months of my 35 years of living and this is one of the reasons, but it still bothers me when my family and freinds work so hard just to fill some oil tycoons pockets with spare change...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

If you are making $3,000 in US currency a month and are on the lower scale, then you make a lot more than the average American worker. $3,000 monthly would be what a middle manager would make in America. Most of us though are working for $1,200 to $2,500 a month.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
So are we really under the impression that someone here, besides Iranians, Russians or Chinese are immune from what's about to happen to fuel prices?

It's more about what we're budgeted for - or used to - than anything else when it comes to complaints, yes, but everyone's fuel is about to be jacked up so high as to bring a stand-still to the trucking industry anyway. Does anyone realize what will happen to the price of EVERYTHING if it becomes simple good business to stop driving?

Think trains and expediters can handle even half of what needs to be done on a daily basis? Think food and water isn't already going up because of short supply?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm going to rent a tanker ship, fill it up with gasoline, and sail your way. After I make an absolutely insane profit, I think maybe I will stay there.

There are some things about Northern Europe that feel like home to me. I must have some viking blood in me somewhere.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

I`m so sick and tired of hearing people say that Americans shouldn`t complain about our prices on gasoline and that we have it so much better then everyone else.

First off, in the U.S. we have more untapped oil then anywhere else on the planet. If corrupt shady politicians didn`t make deals with the Arab countries back in the 70`s we wouldn`t be having this conversation.
Fact is, if you understood supply and demand and what we actually have and what type of crude it is, you would see why gasoline could actually be sold at about 25 cents per gallon. But we al know that will never happen. The corporations have our asses and even if they tapped that oil we would still be selling our limbs to fill our tanks.

Secondly, I wish I made $3000 a month after taxes. I`m getting about $800 month, no bull and when I`m working in my particular area I make no more then $1300 month after taxes.

Thirdly, the U.S. is a very big country compared to most other countries. A lot of us have families spread out all over the place. It`s just the way it has always been here. I have relatives thousands of miles away right here in the U.S. We also tend to work 30 and 40 miles from home and more. We need our gas and we have every right to it. We buy more then most other countries with the exception of China becoming the new big dog on the block so it`s only fair that when you buy something in larger quantities you get a better deal then those buying less.

I just filled up my car today. It has a 20 gallon tank and at $3.99 a gallon for premium which is what my car requires, thats about $80.00. I need a full tank to go and pick up my daughter for the weekend. Its a 400 mile round trip. I`ll do it again at the end of the weekend. I do this at least every other weekend. Thats $320 a month just so I can be a dad to my little girl. That doesn`t take into account any other driving like taking my daughter somewhere or going to the store, so I probably spend closer to $400 a month, half of my income at this point. I have no other choice. I fell on bad financial times after my ex left me a few years back and had to move in with my folks who are retired and living far from the city. I`ve been living like this for 3 years. I pick up my daughter every chance I can, every school break, every holiday vacation and she stays with me for the entire summer so at least I get a few months off from spending so much on the fuel. But I would travel down and get her every weekend if I could.

It`s not as easy for everyone as you think. Sure, there are plenty who could probably even afford $10 a gallon but that don`t mean it should be so. If I didn`t have my parents to live with I`d either be in a ghetto somewhere that I wouldn`t feel safe for my daughter to come visit or I`d be unable to see her at least as often as I do. The gas prices aren`t right and NO we shouldn`t be paying as much as we do and a lot of us are really poor right now, can`t afford a whole lot and getting less then $1500 a month after some taxes. That`s a very large majority of the population I`m talking about. That doesn`t even take into account all the taxes on everday items. God forbid if they sold you ciggarettes when you were dumb and 14 and now 20 years later you are so hooked like its heroin and have no choice but to pay $10 a pack to not lose your head.

Things aren`t all peachy over here in America. A lot of us are struggling and trying are best to get by. I fill out job applications all the time. I have experience in many fields. I score extremely high on aptitude tests, yet I haven`t been very successful with employment other then some seasonal work over the past few years. I`m taking chantix to stop smoking which is probably my fifth or so attempt to quit. I just added another license to my portfolio to open up some more doors for possible employment.
I`d come to Sweden in a heartbeat if you tolld me I could easily make $3000 to $4000 a month yet have to pay $10 a gallon for gasoline so long as my daughter came with me. I`d be on the next plane.

But relistically, that`s not going to happen. If I could make even $2000 a month after taxes, I would not complain about gas prices even if I had to pay what you are paying. It`s just not the same over here anymore. Seven years ago, things were much different, most of us could afford a lot more, but now, we`re struggling over here.
edit on 3/10/2011 by csulli456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
WTF.......You get paid 3000$ and your below the average Swed ?
I guess I live by poor standards there because I make alittle above minimum wage in the U.S. and make 1000 less. So yea when Gas prices get to what they are there somethings going to start/happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join