It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas is at 8.56 dollars/gallon this very moment!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yes, it's true.
When I got gasoline for my car today I had to pay equivalent to 8.56 dollars per gallon for it.
I think gas prices are way too high and I often see in this forum that americans in particular complain about the high gas prices.
I also listen to Coast to coast am and they often talk about that gas prices in America soon will be 5 dollars/gallon and they all think it's terrible.

To give you some perspective on things I recalculated my gas price that I paid today into dollars and gallons ( in Sweden we use liters and swedish kronor).
The price we pay is 8.56 dollars/gallon.

This is the price in a modern european country.
If you americans think you have it bad now, get ready for things to come.
If gas providers get away with that pricing here at this very day - I think it's just a matter of time until you too will eventually reach these levels of gas pricing.
Despite what americans think about their gas price - fact is that you get it cheap compared to many others around the world. Even compared to most in other modern, western countries.

So swedes makes so much money that they can afford to pay those prices you think?
Think again.
I make about 3000 dollars/month after income taxes are paid and are supposed to get by with a gas price at 8.56 dollars/gallon.
I might be paid slighly below the average swede (I don't have a fancy job, but I'm honestly just glad to have a job at all these days) but I don't think the average swede makes more then maybe 3500-4000 dollars/month after tax.

I have no idea what the average american gets paid, but I suspect it is more then that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you generally earn more and pay less for gas then I do.

I'm glad you get away with it, I just thought I'd put your gas price in perspective for you, and prepare you to what to maybe expect in the future.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Im paying $1.48 a lt at the moment AUS thats about $5.20 US or so in gallons I believe.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm paying like $3.61 per gallon at the moment here in the good ol' U.S. of A and that equates to about $3.61 per gallon in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
premium is still $4.17 here in northern Cali. diesel is. $4.39...
regular is $4.00

vomits in mouth...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's always about "who complains more.".or "who has it worse."

We're all subjected to price gouging. Our complaining is probably the only thing that keeps it from being the same way here in the United States. I don't understand why it's always a competition of plight instead of a collective outrage.

LIbya is responsible for 4% of U.S. oil imports. It's been reported that there had been zero production issues since the uprising. So, 4% with minimal, if any delays in the distribution of oil account for a 25% increase in some areas? You do the math on that and tell me it's not an obvious abuse at ALL of our expense.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

I am curious. Do you drive everyday? How many miles/kms do you drive a day? How often do you have to fill up? What do you drive?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
It's always about "who complains more.".or "who has it worse."

We're all subjected to price gouging. Our complaining is probably the only thing that keeps it from being the same way here in the United States. I don't understand why it's always a competition of plight instead of a collective outrage.

LIbya is responsible for 4% of U.S. oil imports. It's been reported that there had been zero production issues since the uprising. So, 4% with minimal, if any delays in the distribution of oil account for a 25% increase in some areas? You do the math on that and tell me it's not an obvious abuse at ALL of our expense.

It's not about "who has it worse".
It was not my intention to make it a contest of that kind when I started the thread.
I just wanted to give some perspective on this matter and maybe warn you all about what to expect in the future.
I think that the gas providers say among themselves that "hey, if we get away with this pricing at this place, maybe it's time to bring the prices in that price range at other places as well".
I didn't mean to say that you should be happy with your current prices, I just say that it might be waaay worse then it is today in a very near future.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

Yeah, and the hidden cost of that (soon to be realized by our purses and wallets) is that EVERY single
commodity (food,clothes,medical items, building materials,everything,etc) that is transported by a gas or diesel
truck, is about to go up in price. Yes, that means everything except your long overdue raise folks.

Happy,Happy,Joy,Joy! American Idol Reruns are on tonight!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Why is it that everyone says how much americans complain? Maybe if you people in Foreign countries would Complain more, and pitch a fit someone might pay attention to you. YOU OUGHT to be complaining if you have pay 8 something for a gallon of Fuel. Im american and I will continue to complain if I have to pay anything over $1 a gallon. This is not the Republicans Fault, or the Democrats Fault, this is America's fault. They are pitting us against each other to keep up from Rebelling against them. I wish and I actually pray every not to the lord that he brings this to an end, its time. The People of the United States needs to get together, take up arms and remove these tyrants from our government. They need to be offered the option of going peacefully, or being removed by force, the choice is theirs. We need to get back to the Constitution, we need to get back to simplicity, and Nationalistic goals, and not worldly ideals. Time to shut the doors, raise the gates, and leave everyone in the world alone, let them rescue themselves, let them destroy each other. Our biggest export should once again be the gospel of Jesus Christ, food, steel, and Manufactured goods, with little to no Imports. Unions are not the problem, Christians are not the problem, Old time Democrats are not the problem. Our president, Our Congress, repubs, and Dumbacrats alike are the problem. Elections wont work, they are rigged. Complaining wont work, they dont care, Threatning wont work, they dont care. The only thing that will work is to get together, and remove them one way or the other, we just need a leader that will direct the majority of the populace to remove this anti american Government. So what is it america? Land of the Free, Home of the Brave? Not so brave anymore are we? or are we? The Buck stops here.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I noticed gas here at 1.19 per liter.

I wonder as it gets more expensive in the US, will they switch their pricing to by the quart? It makes it "sound" cheaper, so when they raise 10 cents a liter (or US quart) overnight, it doesn't sound as bad as 40 cents overnight.

It's time to budget finances as best as possible, prices are going up on everything, and expected to stay that way for a while. Canadian economists on the news actually told us to expect the prices to stay up because of all the unrest in the world, crop failures, and emerging economies wanting more out of life, its all pushing prices.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
No the average American does not make more than you. That's above our median income. Secondly you can pretty much fit the whole of Europe inside of Texas. Ive had friends in Europe shudder at the prospect of a drive I make daily. Some peoples average commute in the us is like driving from France to Germany everyday. To put it simply y'all don't go anywhere. My mom puts 20,000 a year on her car that's like 5 in Europe.

Now go figure who spends more of there income on gas.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The average middle class American makes between $2000-2500 per month. And most of the middle class has disappeared. You don't even want to know what poverty level is. To scary to speak of

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Tollon

Your average american makes about 1200 - 2000 a month before taxes. Op you are doing way better than 80 per cent of americans, and you claim to be below average. I think you are finepaying more. Evens out to bout same percantage of money paid out for gas to income ratio.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
In Anchorage, Alaska we topped $3.80 last night. Going up about a nickel a day or more. I saw one at $3.83 this morning and it's always up more when I go home after work in the evening.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

"Average" American wage is about $40,000 per year, but that is before taxes, not after, and that doesn't include any state services like education or healthcare. I am not sure about Sweden, but I think you have centralized healthcare at least.

After social security and income taxes, $40,000 per year is about $2500 per month. Then we have all the hidden taxes like fees, licensing, and insurance, so figure another $200 per month or so for just the very basic stuff. Then average health insurance is probably $300 (conservatively) so we are down to about $2000 per month useable money. Average commute is 29 miles per day, so figure $7.50 worth of gas per day is about $150.00 per month. Average mortgage payment is $778 per month, but tack on another $200 for property taxes and property insurance and another $80 for mortgage insurance protection that many banks require. We are now down to $770 per month useable money. Average utility bills add up to about $250 per month, but vary widely by city and state. that leaves us about $500 per month useable. Typical car payments are about $500, so if one pay check is already eaten up and we haven't ate yet, or bought toilet paper, or razors or clothes for work.

So, the spouse gets a job. Great idea, accept it will probably be for half the amount of the primary job, so $20,000 per year before taxes or about $1250 per month after taxes. Except.....if both parents are working, now we have to pay daycare, which runs about $150 per week per child in my area. I have two children, so that is......$1250 per month!

Dam, now we are both working, someone else is raising our kids, and we still don't have enough money to eat or buy diapers? Why are we doing this again?!?!?!?!?

Source for Wages

Commute source

Mortgage Source

Utility source

Comprehensive Source
edit on 9-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
You forgot to compare the standard of living for Europe and USA. We also drive more over here in USA than Europe because we do not take the public bus, which is a terrible way of life for us Americans. When the the price of gas going up everyone is complaining.
edit on 9-3-2011 by MikeBoss because: (no reason given)

link   
The median household income in the United States is $46,326.
that is before taxes... i earned 44K last year i took home 28K[
SOURCE

edit on 9-3-2011 by CaDreamer because: input

link   
Hello, my Swedish friend. Don't be so down, you live in one of my favorite countries, one of my retreats, and a place where I do some work.

I'm always happy in your beautiful country, and think it's one of the best places to live. Taxes are high, and so is the cost of living, but you have the best "safety net" in the world. Thought I'd share this site with you:

www.worldsalaries.org...

P.S. » Count yourself fortunate, Sweden didn't fall into the "EURO trap"...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirjunlegun
reply to post by Tollon

I am curious. Do you drive everyday? How many miles/kms do you drive a day? How often do you have to fill up? What do you drive?

How much I personally use my car is beside the point here.
We all pay this price in the country so even if I myself don't drive much, others are.
If we average out the country population I think we drive about as much or little as in any other country.

If you are really curious I have no problem telling you that I do use my car every day to get to work.
It's not that long a drive tho. About 10 kilometers each way.
I have to get to the bigger city that is 40 kilometers away once every week to grocery shop as well (small town grocery prices are terrible).
I drive a relatively new Volvo that use about 0.5 litres gas/10 kilometers.
I have to fill the baby up with a full tank about twice every month ( I estimate, I don't keep track how often, I just do it when I need to).

If you wanna calculate the total cost or the cost in gallons and/or miles you have to do it yourself.
It's 4.30 in the morning here and I'm out of coffee, so my math is not to be trusted at this moment

edit on 9/3/11 by Tollon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tollon

It's not the producers, it is the governments that get you guys. Take away taxes and prices are fairly similar worldwide with the exeption of the countries that own their own oil industries. For example Venezuela has $.12 a gallon gasoline.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join