It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Senate passes union limits despite...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Are you [snip] kidding me?!
www.cnn.com...

Madison, Wisconsin (CNN) -- Wisconsin's Republican-led state Senate passed Gov. Scott Walker's proposed restrictions on collective bargaining for public employees Wednesday, getting around a Democratic walkout by stripping financial provisions from the bill.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3/9/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Remove Censor Circumvention

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Sorry, this was already posted in "alternative news". It won't hurt my feelings if you delete it.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Well, it's pretty obvious by now it's not about "balancing the budget," and it never was. Collective bargaining doesn't impact the state's budget. It's free. It's people talking to each other, it doesn't suck up state funds to have this right. The goal is, and always has been, to strip rights from workers.

And in the previous "vote," the Wisconsin Republicans have already shown that democracy is not their primary goal, since they only had the vote open for ten seconds.

I applaud the people of Madison for being able to resist the urge to set fire to the legislative building. it must be sorely tempting.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with "balancing the budget" is delusional!!

Hell, even on FOX they figured that one out...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
S&F for bringing it to my attention, i must have missed that last thread about this.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I support private unions 100% they are good deal most of the time for the members.

However, I can not support public worker unions since they represent EXTORTION and THEFT of the TAX PAYER. The cowardly politicians of the past have just said yes yes yes to the public unions to keep getting reelected and get big campaign contributions. They left the TAX PAYER holding the tab with no representation in the collective bargaining process. Our founders revolted for the same reason. TAXATION without representation.

Now find a way to give the tax payer a say in the public union collective bargaining process or get rid of it, but either way the EXTORTION and THEFT has to stop.

Privatize the education system or put all public worker collective bargaining agreements on the ballot at contract time and let the public vote. Make sure you let them know how much its going to cost while you do it. This way the TAX PAYER doesn't have to trust the cowardly representatives to look out for them.

The public unions bosses will not go for it, because it takes their power to EXTORT and STEAL away. Since that is what they want and are fighting so hard for. They don't give a dang about the teachers. They would rather have the governor layoff the teachers before giving up their power to EXTORT.

At least now the cowardly senate members who fled can come back and vote on the rest of the state's business if they got the guts to.

I feel like a broken record.

edit on 9-3-2011 by EssenceOfSilence because: spelling

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Once again moderate Republicans have wilted and shamelessly received cover by their jack booted colleagues. The decades long transition of the GOP from a party wiling to allow dissension and compromise to an authoritarian, cowardly, no dissent/manufactured consent group is an American tragedy.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
'bout damn time.

Having some union use tax dollars to line the pockets of politicians they are "bargaining" with is ridiculous. These aren't PRIVATE sector unions folks. These are public unions dealing with public money.

I for one hope this happens here in Nevada too.

For the record, I don't think this has anything to do with balancing the budget and everything to do with protecting the tax payer from extortion.
edit on 9-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with issues regarding public employee unions. As a struggling taxpayer, I'm tired of government spending so carlessly with MY money and when they overspend, they just take more out of my ever emptier pocket.

In the private sector, since this meltdown began I've had a cut in hours, a cut in salary and I still feel lucky I didn't have to go out and look for a new job. I'm front line for my employer and I know for a fact, these cuts were necessary for the survival of the company.

These public employee unions won't make concessions on anything. They get bent when they're asked to have to contribute to their own pension plan or healthcare and they want typical cost of living raises in a deflationary economy.

In the private sector, pensions? Not many any more. Healthcare, most of us will have to pay at least half and rarely do we have access to the same level of coverage that these public employee unions demand. I know they want more... don't we all? But there is never any consideration as to how the bill will be paid.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
About time!

There is no right to bargain for more of our money.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

That is a pretty compelling argument against all the corporate tax breaks no one seems to care to address. I apologize if that was not your intention.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I'm with you on the corporate tax breaks too. Everyone gripes about the 35% tax rate they have but with loopholes as big as buses, they still only contribute 12% of tax revenue. They certainly reap a larger than 12% benefit. It would be different if anything actually trickled down to the employees that suuport the corporations but that doesn't happen. More and more of the expense of supporting the government that in turn subsidizes and employs the largest corporations in the country falls on the backs of the working person.

"Middle Class" hardworking taxpaying citizens in the private sector are getting it from everry angle.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

reply to post by EssenceOfSilence

reply to post by HaveAnotherOne

One question: Do public employees pay taxes?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Unlike the Demoncrat party, which is founded on hate of all things American, whose nationla leaders have all been proven to be liars and cheats on the backs of the American tax-payer, sure you can villiafy the Republican party but the other major party is so much worse for the American people, and they have realized it by evidence of the November trouncing of the democrat party, liberals and democrats are now the dinosaurs and must realize that they too are becoming extinct.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Yes, the private sector actually has to balance its budget or go out of business. The public workers should have to live under the same rules, since after all, they are our employees.

Collective bargaining is a good thing in most cases, except when it becomes taxation without representation due to the corruption. So it has to go. Just like any other business would do if it caught someone stealing. The thief would be fired, prosecuted and policies implemented to reduce the risk.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by projectvxn

reply to post by EssenceOfSilence

reply to post by HaveAnotherOne

One question: Do public employees pay taxes?

Sure, they do.

And they are being robbed twice. Once by the union in dues and once by the government so they should be even more outraged by the theft and extortion than the rest of the public.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Actually, they were willing to make concessions and accept pay cuts...the issue was about collective bargaining rights

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenceOfSilence

Yes, the private sector actually has to balance its budget or go out of business.

You mean the private sector like banks, airlines, auto manufacturers, etc?
Just curious what exactly we mean by "private sector" and "or go out of business."

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Chip, chip, chip chip chip.

That's the sound of your constitution being chipped away. One right after another. Chip chip chip.
A thousand cuts.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Where exactly does it say in the Constitution that collective bargaining for tax payer money is a protected right?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join