It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange UFO Coin from 1680 Puzzles the Experts

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by flutterbye309

I think that you either missed the point of my post or I misinterpreted your answer, one of the two.

I do not want the term "alien" to be even closely associated with my post.

my point was that psychedelic mushrooms are much more responsible for religion that most people want to believe.

Take Oxford trained biblical scholar and dead sea scroll interpreter John Allegro's opinion found in his book The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross for example.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Excellent thread.

RE: Translations

1. OPPORTVNVS ADEST translated as "It is here at an opportune time"

2. HÆC PER TE AVCTA COLAM translated as "Let this growth be pleasing for your heart"

I always check translations - Couldn't find my Latin dictionary, don't remember anything, spent way too much time on Google Translation. Short story - I definitely question the second translation, but can't figure it out for sure. [Note: Meanings change with capital letters, "V" doesn't translate (but "U" does).]

1. On Google, "OPPORTUNUS ADEST" translates as "TIMELY EATEN," but "Opportunus Adest" translates as "Fit is here." …The "EATEN" part is just a tad disconcerting.
But I can go with "It is here at an opportune time." …Question: "Why is the time so bloody opportune?" and "For what?"

2. "HÆC PER TE AVCTA COLAM" translates as "May this through you AVCTA Cola." "Aucta" translates as "increased" or "The increased" so I'll buy "growth," but the word for "heart" in Latin is "cor" NOT "col" - and "colam" translates only as "will I worship him" - what am I missing?

Following the "EATEN" theme, I kind of like this translation:

HÆc PER Te Aucta Colam (HÆc Per Te Aucta Colam) - This was in Thee will I worship The increased

Messing around, I like "may this by you The increased will I worship him" - loosely translated, meaning "Here's my payoff to you, showing I worship the Big Guy(s?) so I don't get EATEN."

The coins seem like early versions of passports or barcode "receipts" - you get one when you make your payoff. If you don't have one to show when you get stopped, you get "eaten."

reply to post by Gazrok

Originally posted by Gazrok

and
reply to post by zorgon

In Google Translation, "RESISTIT PAUSIS OBRUITUR PLURIBUS" translates literally as "STOPPING MANY DISCONTINUE crushed." "Resistit Pausis Obruitur Pluribus" comes out as "Resists the pauses several people are crushed."

My translation: "Resistance is futile." (Stop trying to resist or you will be overcome and crushed.)

RESISTIR - Is resisted ; Resistit - resists
PAUSIS - PAUSE ; Pausis - The pauses
OBRUITUR, Obruitur - crushed, cover-up, covered up, fall to ruin, ; obruitur - are overcome by
PLURIBUS - MANY ; pluribus - several ; Pluribus - Several people are

"RESISTIT PAUSIS obruitur Pluribus" - STOP DISCONTINUE are overcome by several people are
Resistit PAUSIS obruitur Pluribus - STOP resists are overcome by several people are
Resistit Pausis Obruitur Pluribus - Resists the pauses several people are crushed

From the "Justice" coin:

CAMERA COMPUTORUM NEVSTRIÆ: CAMERA ADD UP NEVSTRIÆ
Camera COMPUTORUM NEVSTRIÆ: The Chamber of RECKON NEVSTRIÆ
Camera Computorum NEVSTRIÆ: The Chamber of account NEVSTRIÆ

Here are the details from Google Translation for "OPPORTUNUS ADEST" and "HÆC PER TE AVCTA COLAM." I'm sharing because a) I find it interesting, b) it took so much of my time and c) I know I've been spinning my wheels. Frustrating but fun.

OPPORTVNVS ADEST translated as "It is here at an opportune time"

Straight translation from Google:

OPPORTVNVS ADEST - OPPORTVNVS EATEN
OPPORTUNUS ADEST - TIMELY EATEN

Word by word:

OPPORTUNUS - CONVENIENT
Opportunus - Fit

ADEST - EATEN
Adest - There is present here

Alternates:

Opportunus Adest - Fit is here
OPPORTUNUS Adest - FIT is here
Opportunus ADEST - Fit EATEN

HÆC PER TE AVCTA COLAM translated as "Let this growth be pleasing for your heart"

Straight translation from Google:

Note: A"V"CTA doesn't work, only A"U"CTA; nor does COLAM in caps or Colam with fully capitalized AUCTA.

HÆC PER TE AVCTA COLAM - May this through you AVCTA Cola
HÆc PER TE AVCTA COLAM - This was in TE AVCTA Cola
HÆC PER TE AUCTA COLAM - THIS INCREASE MUCH YOU BY THE Cola
HÆC PER TE AUCTA Colam - THIS INCREASE MUCH YOU BY THE Cola

Word by word:

HÆC - may this ; HAEC - this ; HÆc - These be ; hÆc - these things ; Haec - This
PER - by ; per - by the ; Per - Through the ;
TE - te ; te - you ; Te - Thee
AUCTA - INCREASE MUCH ; aucta - increased ; Aucta - The increased
COLAM - Cola ; Colam - Cola ; colam - will i worship him
[cola - strain it ; colum - oil filter]

(HÆC PER te Aucta colam - May this increased through you will I worship him
may this by you The increased will I worship him)

Alternates:

HÆC PER TE Aucta Colam - May this through you will I worship The increased
HÆC Per te Aucta Colam - Through May this honored with thee will I worship him
HÆc Per te Aucta Colam - These are first honored with thee will I worship him
HÆC PER Te aucta colam - May this increased through you will I worship him
HÆC per Te aucta colam - These increased by thee will I worship him

HÆc PER Te Aucta Colam (HÆc Per Te Aucta Colam) - This was in Thee will I worship The increased
HÆC per te aucta colam - These increased by thee will I worship him
HÆc per te aucta colam - Of this by his increased thee will I worship him
HÆC Per Te Aucta Colam - The increased May this through you will I worship him
HÆc per te Aucta Colam - These are first honored with thee will I worship him
HÆc Per Te Aucta Colam - This was in Thee will I worship The increased
Haec Per Te Aucta Colam - This will I worship him through you The increased
HAEC Per Te Aucta Colam - The increased THIS then through you will I worship him

hÆc per te Aucta Colam - The increased these things through you will I worship him
haec per te aucta colam - this is according to thee will I worship him increased
HÆC per te AUCTA colam - THIS INCREASE MUCH by thee will I worship him

HÆC per Te Aucta Colam - The increased May this through you will I worship him

HÆC per Te Aucta - May this through you The increased
hÆc PER Te Aucta - The increased this is according to you
hÆc PER Te Aucta Colam - The increased and this is according Thee will I worship him

Colam HÆC PER Te Aucta - May this through you will I worship The increased

NOTE - English to Latin for "heart" - cor

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
We have talked about the disc itself in the bronzed coin image but does anyone have any idea of what the object sitting on top of the 'shield', may be or represent?

Almost looks bird or gargoyle like to me.
edit on 5-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

If you look at your translations of the emblem being discussed as metaphorical representations of the psychedelic mushroom and the wondrous god-like spiritual delights that accompany its use, then your translations make perfect sense.

Do not try to look too much into it. Do not apply hermeneutics.

Just look at the words and apply Ockham's razor.

It is a psychedelic mushroom cap surrounded by the spiritual mysteries that accompany its use.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There have been stories of Gods and earth since the beginning of time. It isn’t proof of flying saucers. These aren’t pictures they are mere drawings.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23

If you look at your translations of the emblem being discussed as metaphorical representations of the psychedelic mushroom and the wondrous god-like spiritual delights that accompany its use, then your translations make perfect sense.

...It is a psychedelic mushroom cap surrounded by the spiritual mysteries that accompany its use.

I agree that the translations might be interpreted your way, but don't think it's the way to go, for numerous reasons. Here are a few:

* The background on the coins is fairly well-documented - all the 'fiefdoms' minted them, supposedly as coinage or medals.

* The "OPPORTUNUS ADEST" side is quite common - the other side changes, usually with the fiefdom's name included.

* None of the opposite side inscriptions I've seen might be interpreted even loosely as relating to psychedelics.

* This image posted by Zorgon seems to illustrate the benefits of compliance quite clearly, while the "RESISTIT PAUSIS OBRUITUR PLURIBUS" coin seems to warn against resistance, strongly.

Originally posted by zorgon

"Battesimo di Cristo" 1710
Aert De Gelder
(1645-1727)

"RESISTIT PAUSIS OBRUITUR PLURIBUS" - (Stop resisting or many will be overcome/crushed.)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Could also be a parasol for keeping the rain (as shown on the obverse side of the coin) off one's head....

All kidding aside, looks like an elevated vehicle/disk/whatever in the sky!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It looks like a ufo to me, it is up in the clouds. On the other side of the coin the clouds look the same as the ufo side.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Found a tres cool site whilst researching these images - several more ancient art pieces with UFO's in the sky:

XFACTS.RESEARCH

Check it out - some great stuff.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Kinda substantial find.
I am a skeptic despite my experiences of star people. This really does open my mind, though...

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I really think what's on this coin is just a shield.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bec7cf54e83c.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77650871a94d.jpg[/atsimg]

This is a rare, experimental combination of body armor (shield) and a weapon (matchlock gun). The gunsmith Giovanni Battista of Ravenna proposed this gun shield to King Henry VIII of England in 1544. Interested in technology, the king had 100 made for his bodyguards.

As a firearm, it was too heavy to aim unless rested on a support and was rejected for use. However, in the late 1600s, 66 were still kept in the royal armory, perhaps as curiosities. Technological hybrids were appreciated as attempts to do two things at once.

Lock mechanisms for firing guns were made by smiths who made locks for doors or chests. A door lock by Henry VIII's master locksmith is in the Collector's Study.

The center spike on the object on the coin is a dead give away I think...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59d82ae51e80.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I was sold on the UFO explanation until I read this:

"RESISTIT PAUSIS OBRUITUR PLURIBUS" - (Stop resisting or many will be overcome/crushed.)

Now I realize the "clouds" above the "UFO" look more like the FINGERS OF A CLOSED HAND (ie. fist) holding a shield...preparing to overcome/crush those who may attempt resistance (on the ground below). Could this be the hand of God/Jupiter? Anyone else feeling this interpretation or is it just me?

P.S. I'd much rather it be a UFO than a shield but am happy to sacrifice my petty desires for even a brief glimpse of truth... any day of the week.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyCasual

I was sold on the UFO explanation until I read this:

Now I realize the "clouds" above the "UFO" look more like the FINGERS OF A CLOSED HAND (ie. fist) holding a shield...preparing to overcome/crush those who may attempt resistance (on the ground below). Could this be the hand of God/Jupiter? Anyone else feeling this interpretation or is it just me?

P.S. I'd much rather it be a UFO than a shield but am happy to sacrifice my petty desires for even a brief glimpse of truth... any day of the week.

I lean VERY strongly to UFO, largely because of other disc-shield depictions (on coins and in paintings). Doesn't preclude people 'understanding' it to be the Hand of God, btw. ...Artists sometimes illustrate what they see/have seen, but more often the professionals simply interpret what they're told to depict. If someone described a UFO to an artist, the best analogy would be a shield. In Zorgon's first illustration for example, the clouds are clearly clouds:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Zorgon, you always bring some meat to the table. And this time is no exception.

A few thoughts. After reading the OP, and the whole thread, it seems to me we may be looking at some esoterica. This coin may have had a public meaning at the time, and also a hidden (in plain sight) meaning. Both were likely historical references.

It also comes to mind, that if this were an isolated historical artifact, it would be much easier to disregard offhand. But the sheer volume of references to this kind of thing historically is mind boggling. Which makes this relic stand out, rather than being a minor curiosity.

A well deserved S&F.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wow, fascinating post. It really stirs the imagination and makes me wonder what they did not teach me in school. I saw an article today about 6 UFO sightings in Britain in the 1960's.
www.activistpost.com...
And with all of the other recent reports of sightings around the world, I'm thinking it might be time to readjust my world view to incorporate alien life that likes to visit Earth. We are not alone.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

WOW, dude thats a sick coin, i wish i had it in my collection, collection of evidence and articles that i study. i am in shock of that, i love finds like that, i totally would say that it is a flying disc. the people back then didn't know what to make of these things and sights, and the only form of showing the people what they saw could be on paper, then to coin in this instance, they didn't have planes to reference or anything close to that, so in my opinion it is a space craft, not of this world. awesome post

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Compare the holes on the central divider section of the disk.

I know everyone claims the Skyship wasn't a legit Flying Disk but the more evidence I see, the more I am convinced that this "Skyship" is actually predicated upon secret technology.

I have no clue what the purpose of the holes on the central divider section are. But they are clearly visible in this old photograph, and on the disk depicted on the old coins.

If you look around, many disk reports actually have the "holes" depicted as well.

Also the bottom of the craft is segmented like a wheel. In both instances.

BTW: That Skyship photo has been proven as real and legit. There is a lot of evidence to support the veracity of it's authenticity.
edit on 3-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

A source for further information and more sources on Skyship, in case anyone is curious about it.
An old thread I wrote in 2005 seeking information about it.
Old Skyship Thread

Adding two more images.
The Big Red Arrow at the top points at the holes.

And another photo of Skyship from another angle.

OK.. The photo might be real...... But it's just a photo of an oddly shaped Zeppelin, you can tell it's covered in a fabric by the shadows on the underside, bloody flimsy lookin thing!

But on the coin thing, good work OP , quite mysterious

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

farm1.static.flickr.com...

upload.wikimedia.org...

It has something to do with the fact that there are 6 prongs.

I also want to mention that during the time that Christianity was outlawed people symbolized the cross with the fish.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-3-2011 by canofnothing because: fish

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by breemtameem

You can buy one here... one of the later ones I think

www.cgb.fr...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join