It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

silent weapons.. airguns vs. bows and crossbows

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mindfreak21

The slings are just leather strips with a pocket (a bit oversimplified sure). They are very powerfull, if you have the time to swing them up to speed.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have a crossbow and while they do make a little noise when fired (so do suppressed firearms for that matter) it is the silent weapon of choice. Accuracy is good to 40 yards and can be lethal to more than double that distance. Go with 150# pull and a scope.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Anybody see the video of the old guy with the slingshot? And then David slew Goliath with a stone and a sling also. Maybe we should consider slings and slingshots also....
edit on 3-3-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
that slingshot video is sick, im gunna mod mine ritenow and shoot some of my old crappy arrows out of it

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Just because it isn't a new method doesn't take away from the effectiveness. And 20 yards is plenty of distance, if you are smart in your hunting. After all most people aren't good enough with a bow to get a significant advantage on that and the sling would probably be easier to learn how to use accurately.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I dont get you guys....
this is the twenty first century after all...
why not just spend the extra $200 USD to get a tax stamp and buy a real suppresser for a real fire arm???
it will be quieter or as quiet as anything you've listed so far

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

WOW. Just wow. Can't believe I forgot to mention Suppressed .22's Mentioned it in one of the other threads that I post in, just forgot that I didn't mention it in this post, thanks for bringing this up. Stars to you.
edit on 3-3-2011 by JDBlack because: I'm dumb

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Powerfull slingshot. You would prolly need to be built like this guy to fire them
edit on 3-3-2011 by getso because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by getso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Believe it or not I just sold one just like this one
Suppressed Ruger
Of course it does bring up the price to about $800 for the gun then another $200 for the tax stamp but it is all nice and legal

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Gotta wait another couple years before I can get any pisol while I live in Ct (I'm only 18). I don't know enough about Ct suppressor laws to know if I can get one right now (gun laws are so f****** confusing).

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

need to move to a western state... I've lived in AZ NM TX CO WY and now Kansas and all of them allowed suppressors... beside it's too cold up there in CT

Edit to add... you do know they make suppressors for the 10/22 rifle...
edit on 3-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

What's it like out there? PM me please, I'd like to know more about that area.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reason why i didnt mention it is because i live in california, and just saying the word supressor or silencer will get you thrown in jail
and because they arent "silent" but i guess they are just as loud as a silenced air rifle or crossbow.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
im wantin to get out of california are they reletivly easy to get in all those states or some more than others?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by korath
How about a Hav-a-hart Trap? You set it and leave it and come back to check on it when your ready. Nice and quiet for small game, needs no bullets or arrows. A bit bulky, but probably lighter than a crossbow or some 22's.

"Hava-hearts" work great in the garden but are terribly bulky and since you are trapping for food 'carry a spool of of snare wire or "conibear killing traps ("hava- muskratburger")lol:

(Somewhat pompous soapbox speech follows

O.P. I swear by the.22lr. but you should know: "active hunting"in general tends to be an exercise in net calorie loss. trapping and snares work for you 24/7;and "survival" is about maintaining core temperature through net positive calories; not zombies and "melee weapons"

a dozen or so traps and a "trot-line"(sp?)or gill nets run into a lake or stream can be/need to be checked daily, but are far less energy consuming than hiking around beating the bushes all day for small game.for every 20 rabbits or squrrels you may see a single larger game animal.
I keep a few conibear 110s and snare wire in my bag,along with a couple of hundred rounds of .22lr.( half subsonic half cci minimag solids) honestly I don't practice making"sets": but I know I should ( my bad).

I never ;ever want to shoot a person; not because of my love for humanity comes before my own hide,but any time a person dies its :a "homicide" whether its "murder" or not is up to the courts. if I'm not a combat soldier,and I'm not imho I can pick my battles and shots.
Though not an "optimum" combat choice.22 rifle; while not "devastating" is certainly lethal and was pressed into service by serbian (kosovo?) snipers who were shooting civilian bolt action hunting and target rimfire rifles at relatively short urban ranges...
"deleted:preferred small caliber targets". You'll find the Israeli's issued a suppressed ruger 10/22 as a "less than lethal"riot suppression weapon to discourage demonstration leaders. It was withdrawn as studies found soldiers commonly though:"ha its just a.22 and used it with lessthan optimum discipline on targets above the waist.it was proven not "less than lethal".IIIRC I saw in an old gun mag the Mossad used beretta model70 single action automatic .22lr pistols for assassination of some of the munich terrorists.

Moral" never ever turn your nose up at the capabilities of the lowly.22lr rimfire.Long as I am a civilian: I'll take a .22lr I can hit a dime across the room with without losing my hearing and night vision; over a" tacti-cool "AR witha boat load of crap attached to fancy rails any day.

soap box vacated..

israeli useof theruger 10/22article:www.isegoria.net...
berretta model 70s: www.tactical-life.com...

.22sniper threadon thr ( thehighroad)www.thehighroad.org...:
edit on 3-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-3-2011 by 46ACE because: deleted stuff that didn't needto be posted here.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
reply to post by imitator

Just because it isn't a new method doesn't take away from the effectiveness. And 20 yards is plenty of distance, if you are smart in your hunting. After all most people aren't good enough with a bow to get a significant advantage on that and the sling would probably be easier to learn how to use accurately.

There is no doubt it's effective, the main point is rubber can snap, no matter how heavy duty it is, it's unpredictable. I wouldn't want it for when the shtf. Plus that steel frame sling shot is useless when the rubber tubes break, if your going to use a slingshot for shtf scenario, use a over the top style, it's much easier to replace the bands, one could use his underwear band on a over the top style. lol

The true test is just leave your slingshot outside for 24 hrs and see how fragile the rubber becomes, that's why I would never use a slingshot for when the SHTF. The bow wins on reliability, strength, accuracy and size, the bow can be the size of the arrow. Thus no bigger than what that guy was holding with the arrow loaded in the slingshot.

I would have to disagree with you on the learning curve with the sling arrow vs bow... the arrow is still going to fly the same, and your going to have to make the same adjustments for it's flight.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
haha, yea i just grabed my sling shot and went outsude to try this and the rubber was old and snaped and hit me in the neck.
so now i gotta go to c if big 5 has the surgical tubing...i mite try and get extra incase this works really well and i want to add it to my bob, if i do than i am going to want at least 7yds of tubing in my bag just incase.. is there weather proof stuff that anyone knows of or just latex?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The specific tool is far less important that the individual using it.

I love archery, and I shoot most days. I would see an opportunity to go hunting, which I already enjoy for deer season. I have grown up hunting rabbits, and so I'd have less of a learning curve than a lot of the competition. (see my posts on "rabbit fever" for some nuts and bolts on the meat, as well as hunting with a rabbit-stick.)

I don't hunt so that it's a "net calorie loss," and I stalk rather than use a blind. Not that I get my target every time, but rabbits are so easy when you find the right spot that there is little work involved.

The best way take rabbit is with a burlap bag. You find a stack of irrigation or industrial pipe. Look down the tubes until you see one that wont let light through. Determine that what is down there are rabbits and not a skunk, rat-nest, or badger. Put your sack over one end. Then walk quietly and quickly to the other end and pick it up, in such a way that any animal charging up the pipe wont land in your arms. As you "walk" the pipe up over your head, the rabbits will run down into the bag. The process is easier with two people, obviously.

The trick is to make absolutely certain you are bagging rabbits, and like I said, definitely not skunks or cats or badgers.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mindfreak21

I've got a 180lb folding cross bow very powerful and accurate just a pain to put together so i leave it in one piece but i wouldn't change it for the world reusable ammo thats what you need

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
180lbs? where did you get that thing? is it the same brand as the budk one?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join