It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no comet elenin??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

...yeah I just sorta realized that about 5 minutes ago... I was kinda hoping no one would notice that... but noooo you had to pay attention to each and every lil detail... haha
It just further proves I have not the slightest clue to anything I talk about... haha

anyways thanks... it was a very noble attempt by you to explain something to an idiot

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder

Originally posted by wildespace

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
And what exactly was the payload on the huge rocket the u.s sent into space? explosives perhaps? nukes maybe, do u they think the "comet" is going to come uncomforably close so maybe try use explosives to knock it off its trajectory just like in the movie deep impact?.....

Which launch are you reffering to?

the one that was about a month ago...biggest rocket sent into space and they refused to divulge its payload...

www.reuters.com...

Ah, most likely it's to do with spying from the orbit, or perhaps it's even a thermonuclear head ready to be launched against any possible enemy country. A mission to deflect a comet or asteroid would be top of the news.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
aka they are so cold and dense light can barely escape/and or reflect off it's surface.
Sorry but that's just wrong. You're confusing brown dwarfs with black holes, perhaps?

A cold object can reflect light perfectly well. Brown dwarfs are typically 1000 K (temperature of lava) and emit some red / orange light, as well as copious amounts of infrared. Being more massive than Jupiter, they would also exert noticeable gravitational tug on our planets.

A brown dwarf in the Solar System would be very hard to miss.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

There is even the recent theory floating around that our solar system itself rotates around a centre point of gravity much like the planets do around the sun. so while the planets are rotating around the sun, our entire solar system is like a planet and rotating around something else.

It is known that the Solar System orbits the galactic centre (where the centre of gravity of the whole galaxy lies).
en.wikipedia.org...

Collisions between stars are relatively uncommon, unless they're in a very tight cluster, or there's a star that has been shot out of its location by some gravitational interaction.
edit on 3-3-2011 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Interesting video:

NASA buzzroom video! Comet Elenin - its coming very CLOSE - Less than 40k miles?! March 3,

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
In addition to wildespace's observations, I'm going to take the liberty of doing my usual physics/math work.

The optical photo we're shown is Pluto, some other circled objects, and one object labelled "Nibiru". Judging by the brightness of the "Nibiru" object, which seems to be, at most, half as bright as Pluto, its apparent magnitude is around 17 or 18. We'll assume it's 17 to give this object the best possible chance of being a brown dwarf.

Now, the typical absolute magnitude of a brown dwarf is in the 15 range, but it is possible for cool brown dwarfs to be as dim as magnitude 19. Let's use magnitude 20 just for the heck of it.

The equation for finding distance from apparent and absolute magnitude is:

m = M + 5(log[d] - 1)

where m = apparent magnitude
M = absolute magnitude
d = distance, in parsecs

Plugging the numbers in, we get:

17 = 20 + 5(log[d] - 1)
0.4 = log[d]
d = 10^0.4 = 2.5118864315 parsecs

This is equal to 518,114 AU.
This is the closest a brown dwarf could possible be to look the way it does in the image.
Obviously, there is no possible way for a brown dwarf this dim to be anywhere near our solar system.

You cannot say that for certain. The term brown dwarf was just added in 1995, and since then many, many additions to the term, and subcategories have been added.

There is even the recent theory floating around that our solar system itself rotates around a centre point of gravity much like the planets do around the sun. so while the planets are rotating around the sun, our entire solar system is like a planet and rotating around something else. this theory then allows for the possibility of our solar system colliding with other objects.

who knows if during this rotation our solar system doesn't bump into another at a certain point that contains a brown dwarf or monstrous gaseous planet that then is forced to pass through our system(as there are physical no boarders in space....)? it is just one of the many possibilities of how the object has entered our orbit.

What part of that, exactly, can't I say for certain? The only thing I mentioned that is even remotely debatable is the lowest possible absolute magnitude of a brown dwarf, and that's not even all that debatable, because absolute magnitude depends on albedo and temperature. The lowest these two things will allow, as far as actual stars go, is a magnitude of about 20. The only thing darker (barring exotic objects, like quark stars) is a black hole.

Hm...maybe it's a quark star...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Interesting video:

NASA buzzroom video! Comet Elenin - its coming very CLOSE - Less than 40k miles?! March 3,

You realize of course (unlike the maker of that video), that anyone can get a video into the NASA Buzzroom by using Twitter to tweet a link to the video with the hashtag #nasa, right? It's not "someone with NASA access" uploading it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

Some see Comet elenin like ELE
I see elenin like ENLIL smh who knows get popcorn sets it on window seal and waits...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

That is not the point, there is some quotes, under the video, with calculations, and a translation from Russia. Wading through a pile of official NASA lies takes collecting evidence.
edit on 3-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That's some post from some Facebook user (any video in the NASA Buzzroom can be commented on by Facebook users).

Here's the video's page at the NASA Buzzroom: buzzroom.nasa.gov...

Here's that post:

He doesn't show his work at all. He just magically "revises" the 0.24 AU number down to 0.0004617 AU.

I'll trust the JPL Small Body Database, which still lists the minimum approach distance at 0.23 AU, over an anonymous Facebook user's unshown math any day.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Good points. Actually, the orbits of the comets and asteroids are calculated by the Minor Planet Center, which doesn't work under NASA but under the International Astronomical Union. en.wikipedia.org...

JPL simply provides that information as well as the orbital simulation.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Good points. Actually, the orbits of the comets and asteroids are calculated by the Minor Planet Center, which doesn't work under NASA but under the International Astronomical Union. en.wikipedia.org...

JPL simply provides that information as well as the orbital simulation.

If I'm not mistaken, the MPC provides and maintains the orbital elements, but the JPL provides additional (calculated) values, such as the close-approach data.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Yeah, JPL do some calculations of the data, but if you wanted to ditch JPL and anything to do with NASA altogether, the MPC give you the close approach distances in the Ephemeris: ubasti.cfa.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Im not claiming to know exactly whats going on here, the name elenin itself is somewhat creepy E.L.E nin

E.L.E extinction level event such as the name of the comet in the movie deep impact where the excellent actor morgan freeman played our president....
]

ELE - NIN

Are you saying one of my fav. bands(NIN) is causing an Extinction level event?

Shame on you!

lol but seriously i dunno, it really doesnt even matter anymore. Might as well stock up whether its the economy, WW3, Nibiru , pole shift or aliens something is def going on right now.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Humans make me laugh so much at times, why do you chose to see things blindly without the need for guidance.Much change will come to this world soon and it will be your final test to bond together as brother and sisters or behave like animals killing each other over food and material things.

A man once said do not store your treasures on Earth for they are worthless in Heave, this will be part of the test to see what you are capable off.

The final exam is near and it will be the hardest part of work you have so far done.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

ELE-NIN

Actually, for what it's worth, NIN means "Lady" in Sumerian...

So this can actually be read: Extinction Level Event -- Lady.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by starsyren

Well I'm sure if you're allowed to mix up words and abbreviations from any number of languages, alive or dead, you could make it mean many things.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Earth crosses the Elenins tail on Nov 5 as shown in below video

Timewave shows the 2nd to last peak before 2012 on March 10th as in bottom video.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystik999
Earth crosses the Elenins tail on Nov 5 as shown in below video
Actually, no, it doesn't. A comet's tail always points away from the sun. Thus, the tail will be leading the nucleus as Elenin makes its way out of the inner solar system past Earth.

The tail will be pointed at Earth when Elenin is between the Earth and sun, forming a plane. This will be on September 26th:

However, since Elenin's orbit is inclined with respect to Earth's orbit, the tail will actually be pointing up, above Earth:

On September 26th, when Elenin is between the Earth and sun, it will be at distance of about 57,520,431 km. The center of the tail will be about 1,847,440 km above the Earth (it if it even extends that far).

Note that the tail in the pictures above is for illustrative purposes only. It may be larger, or, more likely, smaller.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Have you took into consideration that comets are made of ice, seeing as it will be coming very close to the sun for a comet the ice will explode on the surface in small areas (not totally all explode, just little areas). This in turn will move the objects trajectory closer to the earth.

Seems there is a LOT more maths to consider than just a standard physical trajectory.

(Well that saying it is a comet).

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join