It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Qaddafi: Leave Libya Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Source

Obama: Qaddafi Needs to Leave Now

Published February 26, 2011
FoxNews.com

Speaking out against Muammar al-Qaddafi for the first time, President Obama said on Saturday the Libyan leader needs to "leave now," having lost the legitimacy to rule.

In a White House statement on Obama's telephone call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Obama took his most direct position yet on the escalating violence in Libya.

"The president stated that when a leader's only means of staying in power is to use mass violence against his own people, he has lost the legitimacy to rule and needs to do what is right for his country by leaving now," it said.

Et tu, Iran?

And of course, Obama just declared a National State of Emergency:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So now, when leaders use force against their citizens, we will intervene, right?

That puts Iran squarely into our targets, as well, right?

But of course, they are more worried about Libya having "weapons of mass destruction" and "yellow cake".

Like Iraq.

More of the same.

Flips andf flops, we are out, we are in.

Alternate sources:

www.channelnewsasia.com...

news.yahoo.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

"The president stated that when a leader's only means of staying in power is to use mass violence against his own people, he has lost the legitimacy to rule and needs to do what is right for his country by leaving now," it said.

Remember that sentence. It may apply to you American in a near future......

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
How has Qaddafi “lost the right to rule”? Who is Barack Obama to make such a declaration? He is merely the President of the United States, someone whom lacks any legitimacy in regards to declaring who does or does not have the right to rule his own country.

Might I ask though, of the beloved Obama, who shall replace Qaddafi should he step down? We already know Obama has plans on the table to attack Libya, quite obviously not for the defense of the Libyan people, what an absurd idea, yet another pretext like “Weapons of Mass Destruction”.

Qaddafi is no moron, he is trying to maintain order and his currently legitimate role as leader of the nation of Libya, his reported plans to sabotage oil pipelines and fields was directed towards Western regimes. It is his belief that the West is behind these revolutions so he assumed by sabotaging the one thing the West had to gain from these revolutions, it might just knock the revolutionaries over.

What he did not count on, for whatever reason, was that the West is remarkably willing to salvage their precious oil at any costs.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by St-Patrick

Remember that sentence. It may apply to you American in a near future......

You know what? Now, more than ever I am VERY scared that this statement may be true. Now, during a time when our government is attempting to strip our right to organize and protect our rights (law just passed in WI). Now, when our government is not just owned but controlled by big business, the same ones that are robbing us blind (bank bail outs and oil prices). Now, when our government has failed we the people in the most basic of ways by NOT protecting our health and safety from said big business. (Note: oil co., haliburton, EPA and fracking)

Our government is poised yet again to fight a war that is not ours to fight under the guise of protecting a people that does not want our protection. The federal reserve is on the brink of collapse and our stock market will follow.

Yes... I think you are quite right. Remember that sentence.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Uhh or it could be the fact that Qaddafi is a certified psycho path that has turned military lose on his people authorizing them to kill any protesters......

Or the fact that hes hiring mercenaries from all over to come and do what the other half of his military wont.....

Or the fact that hes gone on live television telling the world that if the protesters want to die then he will kill them all...........

Maybe the fact that he has Jim Jones syndrome and is hell bent on taking his whole country down with him in blood if he is going down too?

Nahh........couldnt be any of that..........

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

We are living scary days.

By the way this sentence must also be remembered by us Canadians

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

So the people of Lybia will rise up against this dictator and take back THEIR country. Not hand it (and the oil ofcourse) over to the USA. It is not our place. If this warrants others to come in and restore peace (and maybe it does) than leave it to the United Nations to do so. That is what it was organized for.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But wars make money remember?

Wait. That was when we manufacured our own goods in the US.

Now we outsource almost everything, so.. it will make China more money!

I am sickened by this, and yes, I agree, the statement becomes more of a truism each day that goes by, each week that the King continues to rule. He chooses to "not defend" rules of law, he continues to push a law that was declared Unconstitutional, and now decides to tell another country, (the second in as many weeks) that their leader must step down.

So he fancies himself not only the King of the US, but the world, as well? Or at least some parts of it?

I am simply at a loss right now, I truly am. Not that I didn't see it coming, but I suppose this is what was meant by "The Audacity" of Hope.

Little did the unsuspecting voters know...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

But what happened to the stance, "Let them sort it out on their own"?

Oh, I forgot. There's oil in them thar dunes.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Are you serious? The UN is the biggest joke on the world stage.........

Its instances like this where I dont mind using the military to stop mass killings of a people when its happening right before our eyes..........You cant just let genocide take place without stepping in ......

However what happens after that has to be left up to the people of the country......

These are the instances were we should come to aid.........not invasions on false premise or for resources.....

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
WOW! - I'm sure Qaddafi is shaking in his boots now. Mean words from Obama - that has got to be really scary to someone like Qaddafi. I just wish we had a REAL President that wasn't such a Pu$$y.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Sure, let the UN handle..maybe we can end up with another Darfur. :shk:

I think the US should jump in and even the odds. Qaddafi has money galore to keep bringing in mercenaries. What do the people have?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Yet you seem to be totally ignoring the fact that this man is killing his people in huge numbers, and looks to be gearing up to do it at a much larger scale................

And this doesnt bother you? This is ok?

wow............im stunned

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This a clear example of hypocrisy. So we are going to involve ourselves in the affairs of another country because they're dictator is using violence. If this is reason enough for the US to involve themselves in Libya's business, why have we not involved ourselves in Darfur?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Yet you seem to be totally ignoring the fact that this man is killing his people in huge numbers, and looks to be gearing up to do it at a much larger scale................

And this doesnt bother you? This is ok?

wow............im stunned

Wow, thanks for putting words in my mouth! I never said, nor implied, anything like that.

But, didn't Saddam Hussein do that too?

Oh wait. *blush* Did you vote for Obama?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This UN?

www.rnw.nl...

UN Human Rights Council faces the same criticism as its predecessor
Published on : 21 May 2010 - 1:57pm | By Lula Ahrens (www.rnw.nl)

Libya last week was elected to the UN Human Rights Council. Numerous NGOs objected, describing the regime of Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi as "one of the world's most brutal and longest-running tyrannies".

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

indeed he did, but is that a reason to let it happen right in front of our eyes?

Did i vote for Obama? Are you kidding? I voted for Ron Paul.......

However having spent 8 years as a Marine and being over seas numerous times, i have a little insight on atrocity.......and my gut instinct is and would be not to stand by while a mad man kills his people...........

You can stop with the Obama political B.S. it has nothing to do with the fact that people are being killed in droves and hes hell bent on Genocide..........

It amazes me how peoples lack of humanity lets them continue on a political course while this kind of stuff goes down........

Ive talked to you many times liberty, I know you are intelligent enough to set the politics aside and see this for what it really is........an atrocity, and a people at risk of annihilation.......
edit on 26-2-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

indeed he did, but is that a reason to let it happen right in front of our eyes?

I never said that.

See, the point I am getting to is why is it ok for one nation but not another? You are conveniently avoiding the question about Iran. How about Tunisia? Yemen? They, too, are killing their citizens. Does it have to be a certain number before something is done? Seriously?

It is ok for Obama, but not for Bush - when Saddam murdered thousands?

Did i vote for Obama? Are you kidding? I voted for Ron Paul.......

Yes, in fact, that was rather tongue in cheek.

However having spent 8 years as a Marine and being over seas numerous times, i have a little insight on atrocity.......and my gut instinct is and would be not to stand by while a mad man kills his people...........

How are you arriving at the decision of which atrocity is alright to ignore, and which is not? Have you defended the stance that for the past 42 years, he has ruled this country in this way? What makes today any different? What about other African countries? Is it not apparent *why* the picking and choosing is taking place?

You can stop with the Obama political B.S. it has nothing to do with the fact that people are being killed in droves and hes hell bent on Genocide..........

No, it has to do with the flip-flop wishy-washiness of the whole thing, ever since the first uprising in Iran took place. With Iran, he has nothing to gain. What did he have to gain with Tunisia? Egypt? North Korea? China? What's that? The same things Bush allegedly got from Iraq? Oil? Wait... we didn't ... get... any.... oil....

It amazes me how peoples lack of humanity lets them continue on a political course while this kind of stuff goes down........

Excuse me? Are you accusing me of having a lack of humanity when I haven't spoken one word of my opinion about what I think should be done? Really? Because, if that is the case, I think you owe me an apology.

Ive talked to you many times liberty, I know you are intelligent enough to set the politics aside and see this for what it really is........an atrocity, and a people at risk of annihilation.......

Seriously. It is not a crime to ask these questions, and I shouldn't have to deal with you insulting me with what you *assume* (we all know the cutesie thing about assume, don't we?) is my stance on this, nor for you belittling me for asking QUESTIONS. They are legitimate questions, regardless of political stance. I am a citizen of this country, as well, and as a citizen, I have the right.

They work for us, not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Wow, im glad you took that whole post as a personal attack.........apparently you dont know a compliment when you see one.......

and at what point in making a general observation about "Peoples inhumanity" was directed squarely at you? usually when someone says "peoples" thats a term meaning various sorts and types........

Did i directly say YOU?

Perhaps you let your emotions get a little too much of the best of you on that........

Ill no longer be posting in this thread..........good luck

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Nope, I sure don't, because I don't think it is right to insinuate the things you did.

It gets rather tiring to have people say things "in general", then pretend "Oh, I didn't mean you." It's done all the time here.

Good luck to you.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join