It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has signed a three-month extension of key surveillance provisions of the Patriot Act.

The law extends two areas of the 2001 act. One provision allows law enforcement officials to set roving wiretaps to monitor multiple communication devices. The other allows them to ask a special court for access to business and library records that could be relevant to a terrorist threat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
well i think we all knew this was going to happen. but its only a three month extention im suprised i thought it would be more.goes on to say Lawmakers will soon start debating a multiple-year extension of the provisions, which have drawn fire from defenders of privacy rights. its only a short story and doesnt go in to much detail though. im still looking around for more sources. if i find any more i will post.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This needs to be told to all the liberals all the democrats. That yeah President Obama is gonna sign the extension of the Patriot ACT. Or more to the point he willl sign anything that comes across his desk. Anything that is good for the globalist he seems to sign with zeal and exuberence.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Can anyone question this guy Obama? They question bush didn;t they?? maybe my memeory is off. But can someone just question him and ask hey can you tell us why you think the Patriot Act is so good??

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
No surprise .. Doesnt matter who is in office or who isnt.. Theyre all the same and will further extend it to maintain the power of the state.. The regime will never allow freedom or privacy those are quaint ideas from the past...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The potus also declared a national state of emergency today over Libias unrest. the dictatorship of our presidents continues.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
No . no you must have been mistaken and said Obama when you meant Bush . As a Senator Obama voted against the Patriot Act then stopped the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan , then shut Gitmo and Abu Graib and then stopped extraordinary renditions to 3rd world sh*tholes for the purpose of torture . Aw , no , i'm wrong . That's the stuff he promised .

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

Why three months?

It just makes me feel like we are waiting for something. Perhaps something that will justify a more permanent adoption of the Patriot Act. So what are they waiting for? Unrest here in the US? Trouble in the mid east to spread to Iran? Aliens to invade?

Edit to add, I knew the little happy dances over the failure to extend the Patriot Act a while back were premature. They are up to something.

edit on 25-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Hows that "hope and change" working out for everyone? I mean, really. Did anyone here actually think for an instant that Obama would do anything to lessen his (the governments) control over people?

I was disgusted when Bush signed it.
I was disgused when conservatives voted for it.
I was pleased when some Tea Party reps knocked it down'
I was not surprized when Obama did this.
edit on 26-2-2011 by beezzer because: trypo

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You forgot to add being disgusted when the Democratic congress had the opportunity to get rid of it years ago and they didnt.

I didnt have hope things would change. I voted Constitution party.

I knew when Bush was president Obama was the next president. He was already being pushed on us by the media, much like they are setting Palin up now. Palin is much less a sure bet, however, because she is an idiot and hard to control. She may undermine herself irreparably before they can get her barbie self in office.

You are never, ever, ever, ever going to get change by voting for a candidate that is getting air time and being promoted as a candidate. Thats your first clue they are corporate owned. Because you cant listen to what they say.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I was a Bachmann fan until she voted for it. I'm not much of a "single issue", type of guy but this is really irritating the heck out of me.
Since when has freedom become a talking point and not a right?

By the way, I do agree with you, but I have no clue as to whom we can support in 2012 with thi tripe continuing.
edit on 26-2-2011 by beezzer because: sdfgsd

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
So we think the government shouldn't be able to tap a phone they know is being used by someone plotting against the homeland? Isn't that one of the main functions of government? To protect the homeland?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
No . no you must have been mistaken and said Obama when you meant Bush . As a Senator Obama voted against the Patriot Act then stopped the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan , then shut Gitmo and Abu Graib and then stopped extraordinary renditions to 3rd world sh*tholes for the purpose of torture . Aw , no , i'm wrong . That's the stuff he promised .

I really don't know where you people ever got this thing about Obama saying he would end the Afghan war.

He campaigned on increasing it.

Also, if you read ANY of the news on the subject, you would know he actually DID try to shut down Gitmo, but SEVERAL lawmakers (D and R) prevented him from doing so.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thorg
The potus also declared a national state of emergency today over Libias unrest. the dictatorship of our presidents continues.

I missed that little news item today. Thanks. Considering the magnitude of Union involvement, plus the involvement of Bill and Bernadine and Code Pink in the affairs of Egypt, I'd say it was engineered.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
Can anyone question this guy Obama? They question bush didn;t they?? maybe my memeory is off. But can someone just question him and ask hey can you tell us why you think the Patriot Act is so good??

Obama doesn't take questions from smart people, especially on camera or in front of an audience. I would, LOVE for him to debate someone like Michael Badnarik on a live broadcast concerning issues like the Fed, Patriot Act. the drug war e.c.t

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Originally posted by American-philosopher

Obama doesn't take questions from smart people, especially on camera or in front of an audience. I would, LOVE for him to debate someone like Michael Badnarik on a live broadcast concerning issues like the Fed, Patriot Act. the drug war e.c.t

Yeah, we need a real man back in the white house. Bush was willing to go toe to toe with the likes of a male prostitute, Helen Thomas, and Dr. Phil. Where did that kind of exceptionalism go?
edit on 26-2-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I was a Bachmann fan until she voted for it. I'm not much of a "single issue", type of guy but this is really irritating the heck out of me.
Since when has freedom become a talking point and not a right?

By the way, I do agree with you, but I have no clue as to whom we can support in 2012 with thi tripe continuing.
edit on 26-2-2011 by beezzer because: sdfgsd

Well it could be worse, as she has already ruffled some RINO feathers.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds
So we think the government shouldn't be able to tap a phone they know is being used by someone plotting against the homeland? Isn't that one of the main functions of government? To protect the homeland?

You need to be less obvious.............LOL

HOMELAND indeed.............LOL

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

So we no longer think personal privacy and freedom are important? There has been no real justification for the intrusiveness of these provisions. It is well past time to end them.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

So we no longer think personal privacy and freedom are important? There has been no real justification for the intrusiveness of these provisions. It is well past time to end them.

"Privacy and Freedom"? Yes, those are phrases that attract stars and simplify complicated issues.

But tell me, how does this effect YOUR 'Privacy and Freedom" in any way?

This isn't the government putting a bug in your reading lamp. It's allowing them to track very specific foreign agents who are able to subvert basic wiretap laws by using several mobile deices.

To pretend that our government should be able to thwart potential terrorist attacks with their hands tied behind their backs seems self-defeating, at best.

I'd bet you'de be the first to blame the government if a bomb wen of in your state.

Of course, I'm sure there are SEVERAL folks posting on ATS trying to shape public opinion away from giving government the tools to do their job or protecting the homeland.

edit on 26-2-2011 by inkyminds because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join