It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH: Obama's Silence On Libya Due To "Scheduling Issue"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
According to his new White House press secretary, [Obama's] 9 day silence on Libya was due to "scheduling issues".

source

"This is a scheduling issue. The president will meet with Secretary of State Clinton this afternoon. We will have something to say out of that meeting. If possible, the President will speak this afternoon or tomorrow," White House press secretary Jay Carney said of President Obama's lack of response to the crisis in Libya.

How dumb does the administration think the citizens of the U.S. are that they would accept and believe a BS statement like this?

Watch what gets posted in support of the administration on this thread for the answers to that question.

edit on 2/23/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/2/11 by masqua because: Replaced uncivil mispelled name for the POTUS

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Well people are growing more weary and informative each day this is making me happy as a teenager in this world with a population of 7 billion people. Good to know we aren't the only ones aware of how screwed we are at the moment. Obama's silence is only because he doesn't want to lose the oil agreement with Libya or else he is going to have to start another operation in which he takes over like Iraq .

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
With Libya on the UN Human Rights Council....

www2.ohchr.org...

How can we honestly do anything in the Middle East with a straight face.

Pathetic Foreign Policy and Greed have left us with zero credibility...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
According to his new White House press secretary, obowma's 9 day silence on Libya was due to "scheduling issues".

source

"This is a scheduling issue. The president will meet with Secretary of State Clinton this afternoon. We will have something to say out of that meeting. If possible, the President will speak this afternoon or tomorrow," White House press secretary Jay Carney said of President Obama's lack of response to the crisis in Libya.

How dumb does the administration think the citizens of the U.S. are that they would accept and believe a BS statement like this?

Watch what gets posted in support of the administration on this thread for the answers to that question.

So, what do you think the delay was for?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Could it be the fact that there are hundreds of Americans there and the pres. and his admin, are giving them time to get out ! US hostages held by Kadafi doesn't sound like a good thing right now.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector

Originally posted by centurion1211
According to his new White House press secretary, obowma's 9 day silence on Libya was due to "scheduling issues".

source

So, what do you think the delay was for?

Sorry, but I can't think of a good reason for obama - the president who was going to make America look good again to the world - to be disengaged and a non-player on such a potentially world changing event.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
He was too worried about the defense of mrriage nonsense................he really has a screwed up set of priorities. The world is in chaos and we have our troops in harms way and he worries about everything but them. Guess he is still paying off those who elected him instead of doing what he was elected for. Perhaps him not saying anything might be a good idea, as he really hasn't done too well with his foreign policy so far.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Really? My first reaction would be that the US gov doesn't want to inflame anti-US sentiment in the surrounding region ( the reason for alot of the unrest right now). But most likely, doesn't want to show his hand and give Gadaffi and his supporters a heads up. Then again , who am I? I'm not one to start a thread without providing my own opinion. Sort of the point of starting a thread and discussion other then.....well you know

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Are there competing spin doctors writing on these international events? We've got the whole Middle East dancing around so it has to be more than a fight between the US Democrats and Republicans. This isn't just a Tupac Shakur concert they are choreographing so there must be some feedback coming from Europe. Italy is so close to Libya what is their take on this?
edit on 23-2-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Connector

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think we could reinforce a positive US outlook by enforcing a no fly zone in Libya and showing the Libyan armed forces how a professional military handles business. Turning a blind eye like Obama has to regimes that murder their own people with bombs and attack helicopters can't be doing much for our image.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Connector

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think we could reinforce a positive US outlook by enforcing a no fly zone in Libya and showing the Libyan armed forces how a professional military handles business. Turning a blind eye like Obama has to regimes that murder their own people with bombs and attack helicopters can't be doing much for our image.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I agree! But, the US can't look like the key player here. From what I've researched so far, diplomacy efforts are trying to form a coalition of countries that have resources closer and have much more to lose if the SHTF. I.E. Malta, Italy, Mediterranean and even European countries with interest there. If the US appears to be the key
player.......it will only re-enforce the rhetoric that extremists spout in other areas currently under unrest. You know the result of that.

~ETA~
My original post was to show that the nature of centurion's OP was just to be partisan, rather then provide any real analysis.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Let's not forget that Obama is simply a salaried puppet for the guys at the TOP. Whatever suits their agenda he will do. If Libya didn't produce oil who would give a s...?But it does, and this long time, long confirmed lunatic Ghaddafi has been left to do his business as he wished.So why change now? However, if the libyan people say "Enough is enough" that's another story. They are the only ones who will make a legitimate difference, and it is absolutely their right. Just as it is the right of any citizen of the world to say "I won't take any more!" ..."whatever it costs this injustice must cease!" Libya is only the beginning. wait till we all get motivated by these people with SO MUCH COURAGE! Shame on us all for putting up, if only for a day, with incompetent, llying cheats who take us all for a bunch of goons. If they continue to reign then it's the proof of our own stupidity!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Meanwhile, people there are dieing while this administration has its thumb firmly inserted up its rectum. Great job Obummer.

Doesn't he realize this is a chance to both do what's right for a change, and support those people against a dictator who has ordered their deaths wholesale, and finally look like a hero on the arab street for once?

One aircraft carrier could shut down the entire Libyan military, and level the playing field for the protesters, saving many lives.

EDIT: Its amateur hour in the whitehouse with the "community activist" in charge.
edit on 23-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Obama has proved himself to be pretty ineffective as a president. Remember when he bowed down to the Saudi King? He has no back bone to stand up to any body.

Bush may have been a bit of an idiot but at least he had the guts to say what he wanted. Obama is like the kid on the playground that wants to be everybody's friend. He thinks people like him for it but they have no respect for him.

He needs to take a hardline stance on something! Come on!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

woah take it easy there

he's a busy guy, im not offended that he hasnt said anything about the matter, i can make my own judgements, besides i hope he leaves this alone, the last thing we need is another war.

Originally posted by ArchIlluminatus
Obama has proved himself to be pretty ineffective as a president. Remember when he bowed down to the Saudi King? He has no back bone to stand up to any body.

Bush may have been a bit of an idiot but at least he had the guts to say what he wanted. Obama is like the kid on the playground that wants to be everybody's friend. He thinks people like him for it but they have no respect for him.

He needs to take a hardline stance on something! Come on!

i love how you want him to take a side to everything when we have our own problems. why dont you share your views?
edit on 23-2-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Can you explain to me what interests America has in Libya that requires day to day updates on the situation from the President???

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think I'll accept this as a valid reason: (Ironically in response to the half-term Pitbull's same assertion as OP....makes you wonder.)

...more than 600 Americans are still in Libya. Some have chosen to stay, but most are trying to get out, including 35 ambassadors and embassy workers. The Libyan government has refused to allow U.S. chartered airplanes to land in the country to rescue citizens.

According to CNN reports, hundreds of Americans have been stranded at the airport looking for ways to get out of the country. They have been deterred by a wall of bureaucratic quagmire imposed by Libyan officials.

On Wednesday morning, numerous American citizens made their way to a chartered catamaran in a Libyan port near Tripoly that plans to ferry them to the Island of Malta. The boat was prevented from departing on Wednesday, reportedly due to poor weather.

Jay Carney, Obama’s new White House spokesperson, said that Obama would be making a statement later in the day. Clearly, the administration has been concerned about U.S. citizens still caught in the dilemma.

SOURCE

Until American citizens return safely home, I think it is prudent to remain poised and calm and quiet. My .02¢

ETA:

Here is a timeline of the Iranian hostage crisis from the 70's / 80's for those too young or too old to remember. Ring any bells?
IRANIAN HOSTAGE TIMELINE
edit on 23-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

The US should be more quick to respond to a country gunning down and bombing it's own citizens. The government condemns human rights violations (er except in China.) Honestly I think Obama has no clue on what he should do. America hasn't taken a isolationist position in a long time I doubt they would now.

All this chaos in the world is bound to escalate into something bigger. I hope we can avoid WWIII but I doubt it. This huge shift in the Middle East may or may not work in our favor. If the Arab nations manage to unite they could start a war with Israel and then we'd be dragged into it.

There is a lot of 'what ifs' and it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
There sure will be a lot to see this year...good or bad we're all along for the ride. I really hope the idiots in power end up destroying themselves and this current system...regardless of human loss. Some loss now, will be better than a completely controlled world, if we aren't there already.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Libya 97 percent Sunni Muslims...

learn.sbsd.k12.ca.us...

Iran is 89 percent Shia Muslim

www.cia.gov...

It is so complicated, anything other than Humanitarian Aid will backfire.

en.wikipedia.org...'a%E2%80%93Sunni_relations

edit on 23-2-2011 by whyamIhere because: pre 98 bubba

<<   2  3 >>

join