It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WH: Obama's Silence On Libya Due To "Scheduling Issue"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
++++++++++++++++++++++ UPDATE+++++++++++++++++++

THREADKILLER

Obama calls for unified global response on Libya

U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday expressed outrage over the bloodshed in Libya and asked the world to speak in one voice against violence by the Qaddafi regime, as his administration evaluated a “range of options” to respond to the crisis.

SOURCE

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I hope that range of options includes knocking Qaddafi's AF out of the freakin sky and sending in a few Marines to mop up the murderers for hire.
edit on 23-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

If the past two years is any indicator, the scheduling conflict could be any of the following:

Golf game
Basketball match
Previous Campaigning commitment
Added some Justin Bieber (or other artist he's had over to the White House during his Wednesday night party night) to his IPod and couldn't put it down.
Planning another vacation
Looking at himself in the mirror
Ordering another crate full of $100 a pound Kobe Beef from Japan, and misplaced his "Everything Is Free Credit Card"
Hiding the Blajovich Evidence
Practicing his Bow in front of the mirror for an upcoming visit to Cuba

Nothing surprises me with that moron.

edit on 23-2-2011 by croweboy because: a few wrong words

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not replying to anyone particular but, what happened to the isolationist idea posed by the Tea Party advocates? Why are you encouraging intervention now?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Big question is will Gaddafi be arrested for crimes against his own people or will he be exiled in some posh mansion in the tropics somewhere avoiding any type of prosecution?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Who pulls the strings of the Puppet Master.? Wooden we ALL like to Know.........

i297.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connector
Not replying to anyone particular but, what happened to the isolationist idea posed by the Tea Party advocates? Why are you encouraging intervention now?

I'll post what I posted on my FB page answering the same question by ATS member Misoir:

There are times Mis, there are times when even I can't be an non interventionist. And what does non-interventionism mean? Does it mean the most powerful country in the world leaves innocent human being to be killed by a powerful military? Or does it mean that we don't sell out to dictators with tax payer money? Does it mean we ignore our true allies, or does it mean that we don't make convoluted political entanglements like the UN?

Situations like this make you question things Mis.

I've personally stepped in a few times when I've seen a man beating up his wife in the middle of the street. Would it not be a moral mandate to step in when one sees something like that? Should I have ignored my elderly neighbor who was attacked by a meth head? I ran out with a baton and a can of mace and because of it my former neighbor is alive today.

There are times Mis when you SHOULD step in specifically because you have the ability. Where not doing so would be morally reprehensible.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I hope that range of options includes knocking Qaddafi's AF out of the freakin sky and sending in a few Marines to mop up the murderers for hire.

Yeehaw. As long as we get to shoot some things and blow things up why not perpetuate the violence? /sarcasm Mahatma Gandhi quotes:

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”

“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.”

edit on 24-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Yep..So let's watch the slaughter happen from afar while we non violently blow smoke up our butts in a high and mighty fashion.

I'm not Ghandi. I am not a pacifist. Pacifism is for those who can't think of anything worth fighting for.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Can you explain to me what interests America has in Libya that requires day to day updates on the situation from the President???

My thoughts exactly. One minute everyone is saying the US should keep our nose out of another countries business, and a day later it's WTF why hasn't Obama done anything to save these people.

Why do WE (US) always need to take care of everybody? What about the rest of the nations in the UN? Where are they at? It seems Italy would or should be the first country to get their butts in gear.
edit on 24-2-2011 by stealthsurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Each to his own dude. It is doubtful we will change each other's ideologies. However as I referenced before, hundreds of American citizens and diplomats remain there. Until they are home safe, I wouldn't advocate taking Rambo tactics as you describe. The Iranian hostage crisis was a long protracted ordeal and they used our citizens as pawns. I'd like to see us avoid that type of episode with trigger happy antics.

Peace out.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connector

Really? My first reaction would be that the US gov doesn't want to inflame anti-US sentiment in the surrounding region ( the reason for alot of the unrest right now). But most likely, doesn't want to show his hand and give Gadaffi and his supporters a heads up. Then again , who am I? I'm not one to start a thread without providing my own opinion. Sort of the point of starting a thread and discussion other then.....well you know

Come on ...

Obama supporters really can't be this naive or two faced - can they?

Test: Exactly how many days has it been since obowma was all over the situation in Egypt - the country right next door on the map to Libya?

But I did predict in the OP the kind of "lap dog - swallow it whole - how high do you want me to jump responses" we would see here from administration supporters. If it says it comes from [Obama], they're for it. But what did it say again? We don't know and we don't care, we're for it.

edit on 2/24/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/2/11 by masqua because: Replaced uncivil spelling of POTUS

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

How dumb does the administration think the citizens of the U.S. are that they would accept and believe a BS statement like this?

Can you explain to me what interests America has in Libya that requires day to day updates on the situation from the President???

And we have another
awarded to the obama-spinner. Now if they also posted those stats on your avatar, you'd really have something to report for your brief stay here.

Who said day to day updates were required? We're talking about having to wait over a week to basically hear, "Uh, we finally located Libya on the map and will have something for you by tomorrow.". Pssst, Mr. President. It's right there next to Egypt ...

Well, as many of us have pointed out, there was [Obama's] meddling in egyptian affairs.

Second, if the radical islamists win in any of these countries, it could easily start a chain reaction - one we and our children wouldn't like very much since we get so much of our energy from the region. You like candles and horses?

Does there need to be a 3rd? No, those two should be enough.

edit on 24/2/11 by masqua because: Replaced uncivil spelling of POTUS

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think Obama is waiting to see how it ends to make sure he supports the winning side. Then he'll read some canned script off his teleprompter. His admin is still stung from looking like a donkey on the Egypt revolts.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by projectvxn

Each to his own dude. It is doubtful we will change each other's ideologies.

Something everyone should understand.

However as I referenced before, hundreds of American citizens and diplomats remain there. Until they are home safe, I wouldn't advocate taking Rambo tactics as you describe. The Iranian hostage crisis was a long protracted ordeal and they used our citizens as pawns. I'd like to see us avoid that type of episode with trigger happy antics.

Peace out.

Agree there should be no "rambo raids". However, 24x7 backchannel diplomacy is absolutely required.

Along with some sort of announcement - way before now - from the President that we take this seriously and are working on it.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by foreshadower99

Well people are growing more weary and informative each day this is making me happy as a teenager in this world with a population of 7 billion people. Good to know we aren't the only ones aware of how screwed we are at the moment. Obama's silence is only because he doesn't want to lose the oil agreement with Libya or else he is going to have to start another operation in which he takes over like Iraq .

They are drawing up plays on how to kill Qaddafi and steal his oil outright. Then we can have all of the libyan's oil reserves.

They are sending signals via gestures politically that they are serious about thier imperialist racheteering operaton.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

How dumb does the administration think the citizens of the U.S. are that they would accept and believe a BS statement like this?

And we have another
awarded to the obama-spinner. Now if they also posted those stats on your avatar, you'd really have something to report for your brief stay here.

Who said day to day updates were required? We're talking about having to wait over a week to basically hear, "Uh, we finally located Libya on the map and will have something for you by tomorrow.". Pssst, Mr. President. It's right there next to Egypt ...

Well, as many of us have pointed out, there was obowma's meddling in egyptian affairs.

Second, if the radical islamists win in any of these countries, it could easily start a chain reaction - one we and our children wouldn't like very much since we get so much of our energy from the region. You like candles and horses?

Does there need to be a 3rd? No, those two should be enough.

Who cares if "radical islam" takes one of those countries. Let them live thier lives the way they want. Stop being the believe/opinion police of the world. I could care less.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

You make a lot of huge assumptions in your OP. Did you think that the issues in Libya are simpistic and that it is the only place in the world we as a nation, the US, have to think about? And is it our job? And is it that clear? Like someone said, we have citizens still in that country, along with other protesting countries. We have military to strategize, there is a myriad of issues worldwide right now, and it is a game. Did you think that Obama is just sitting arounds biting his nails on what to do?

The silence is not for fear, it is part of a plan, no doubt. You seem to underestimate our presidency as a whole.

It might just be that saying nothing yet, is better than just immediately coming out and saying something like "We condemn you Gadafi!" Do we really need to hear this and then everythig will be ok?

I'd look beyond the dislike of a President, to understand what might be going on.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, I'll throw my hat in the ring, I'm sure I'll be labeled an Obama supporter...

Over 500 of our people there with a madman easily able to create a hostage situation. I would wait to say something provocative. Of course, now something provocative has been said, so oh well on that excuse.

I'd rather not get involved, we're involved enough in the world and the people of Libya can hold their own revolution on their dime. We've proven by now that "World Police" is not our calling.

Funny how we need to change the non-interventionist stance when its a country with oil. All day on Fox, NBC, CNN, etc it's been "gas prices, we need peace and recognition of basic human rights!" :shk:

Don't recall that freak-out for Cambodia, Darfur, or Rwanda, which if anything was a reactive handling after the fact and massive genocide in comparison to this small revolution. However, bring in high gas prices and a little stress when filling up a Hummer and you hear screams for proactive intervention.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
"Scheduling Issues"?
It makes perfect sense. Obama has been getting ready for the big Motown Bash in the White House.

The White House will celebrate Black History Month with a Feb. 24concert celebrating Detroit's best-known musical import. President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama will host "The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House," a tribute to therecord companyBerry Gordy Jr. founded here at the dawn of the 1960s.

Announced performers include just one from Motown's classic era: Smokey Robinson. The rest of the roster arecontemporary artistsNatasha Bedingfield, Sheryl Crow, Jamie Foxx, Gloriana, Nick Jonas, Ledisi, John Legend, Amber Riley, Mark Salling, Seal and Jordin Sparks. Detroiter Greg Phillinganes will serve as music director.

Earlier in the day Feb. 24,Michelle Obama will host a workshop on Motownat the White House for more than 100 students from Michigan, four other states and the District of Columbia. Titled "The Sound of Young America: The Historyof Motown," it will be moderated by Grammy Museum executive director Bob Santelli and includemany of the concert's performers discussing how Motown came about in Detroit and its legacy during the last 50 years.

Wow even a Motown History Workshop hosted by Michelle. Nifty.

Motown certainly made a major impact on society and on the music industry. Glad to see the White House is still able to party in these uncertain times.

From The Detroit News: detnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join