It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you hear me now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just for fun,

You go into a room, filled with people of all ages, sit down and wait like everyone else. After awhile you start to notice the young children talking to an invisible friend. You shake it off as being cute and nothing more. A little later you start noticing the teenagers telling the little kids that they hear it to, but don't know where the noise is coming from. Even though you can't hear it, everyone younger than you can. Later on you hear it, but notice the elderly are wondering where the exit is to get away from all the crazy people.

Then a man walks into the room and thanks everyone for participating in their frequency test.

Test your frequency lvl here: Can You Hear This?

8khz - everyone should hear
10khz - 60 years and younger
12khz- 50 years and younger
14khz - 49 years and younger
15khz - 39 years and younger
16khz - 30 years and younger
17khz - 24 years and younger
18khz - 24 years and younger
19khz - 24 years and younger
20khz - 18 years and younger
21khz - 18 years and younger
22khz - 18 years and younger

Makes me wonder what kids hear since we are not able to hear at the same sound frequency. Some instances, kids talking to imaginative friend, kids hear something at night that scare them, and so on. Then turn it around, let's say my house is haunted because I'm hearing bumps in the night then what is a child able to hear?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
How original this thread is! It's the first one of this kind that I saw on ATS. I did the frequency test and my result is the following. I am 20 and I could barely hear 18 KHz but 19 KHz was not audible.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Mine cuts out at 15k, which doesn't surprise me much after spending 30 odd years playing loud music in variuos bands. It's kinda to be expected. I think we're going to see a lot more hearing loss in the near future due to folks blasting their ears with earbuds and ridiculously loud car stereos.

Of course, you have to take into account what you're listening to the "test" on. Some set-ups have better frequency response than others. But, as you say, it's just for fun. It even says on the page:

Take our unscientific hearing test: listen to each of these tones and let us know at where your hearing cuts out:

It was fun for a minute, though. Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nice thread dude

Very interesting. It make's you think, yea, what kinda thing's little kid's are actually hearing.
So, that mean's then that they could be projecting on to us low frequency mind control wave's into our brains constantly without us even knowing about it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Did those kids grow up to be army monks.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
22, and 17 was the last one i could "clearly without a doubt" hear. I think i could hear 18hz too but definitely not 19+

All knowledge is based on thought which is based on relativity. Maybe we have issues believing some things because not all information is heard by us. Also maybe this could be one reason why it seems each generation is progressively worse. High hz messages possibly in young kids programming? Just a quick thought, no research so i very well could be off.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Unless your working under lab conditions it's a pretty redundant test as a lot of speakers (especially cheap PC ones) will not even reliably reproduce a tone above 15khz or if they do it will be at a vastly reduced decibel level, also sounds get absorbed / strengthened depending of speaker / room acoustics

It might be a valid test with some very good headphones but also depending on the format of the sound waves on the page they may well not have survived compression etc.

I could hear something for all of them but I wouldn't say that would tell me I have perfect hearing
edit on 23-2-2011 by davespanners because: spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
From a childs standpoint, things are what they are. As a child learns to lie, and also to detect lies, as time goes on, it becomes almost impossible to see things as they are, as the chances of them being lies increace. An adult mind is usually "clouded", and generally narrower than that of a child. In order to get it back, you have to basically go on an extensive detoxification plan, and also a vigourous exercise regime. After a while, your mind will clear, staying away from television, learning to increace your attention span, allows you to become more attentive to the sounds that are around you, and the details in your surroundings. The greater focus placed on the outside, the more interesting and dynamic it becomes, however, as we age, we generally receede into our own minds, and muffle out the environment, usually stuck in a "nine to five" work/t.v./sleep routine.

I couldn't hear anything past 15khz...
edit on 23-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yeah. There's been a topic or so about this in the past.

One particular thread I remember was about cities/towns installing 'anti-loitering devices' which emitted only those frequencies able to be heard by youth ... in order to minimize or eliminate them congregating and/or loitering, etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm 27 and although it was faint, I could still just manage to hear 21kHz

Pretty cool test

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bputman

Wow I'm 32 with the hearing of an 18 year old. Honestly this does not surprise me. My hearing is insane and sometimes rather annoying.

I work in a bar, loud music everyday for years about 4 days a week. You would think I would have lost some hearing but no it has stayed the same. My friends always joke how I seem to hear everything

I don't like loud noise though. People hate watching tv with me because I have it so low most can't hear it but to me it's perfectly fine. I only wish my vision was as good as my hearing. I probably have the vision of a 60yr old or older

Very cool thread!!!

I must say I do hear things at times others do not. Most of the time I don't say anything but when it startles me and I ask "Did you hear that" I am the only one who does.
edit on 2/24/2011 by mblahnikluver because: spelling and grammar

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
fun stuff
S&F

I got to 18 (18khz - 24 years and younger ) before I couldn't hear but I'm a tiny bit over 35 so that's not too shabby

I have a 2yr old girl and she frequently says 'what was that noise mummy' and I haven't heard a thing.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Cool thread. Looks like the age ranges are on the money. I'm 42 years old and I could only hear up to the 14 kHz tone. Could not hear 15 kHz or above at all.

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

join