It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i got arrested.. for a belt buckle.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Time to riot? Of course not. Time for the OP to have his day in court, as the Constitution promises? Yes. And that court exists to make sense of situations such as this.

The ironic part of all this to me is that if any of the people insisting it is just a belt buckle were to find themselves being assaulted by a person using brass knucks, I truly doubt they'd tell the cops "No, no, don't make it assault with a deadly weapon... it's only a belt buckle..."

That is absurd and you know it. I can stab someone with a ball point pen and be charged with assault with a deadly weapon...should pens be made illegal? Of course not, but I get the feeling that we would have a similar exchange if they were...

Edit: Does utility matter? It has two legitimate uses and more than a handful of people I know own them as show pieces. None of them have clobbered anyone with them...
edit on 22-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyshouldI trustyou2619
I agree that it ws just a way to hassle you. This is what I found on the subject:

"California penal code 12020 (a) states that it is illegal to own, carry, or manufacture brass knuckles. It is also illegal to import, sell, keep for sale, lend or give brass knuckles to another person within California. Those found in violation of penal code 12020 (a) are subject to no more than one year in county jail. Those who are caught selling brass knuckles can face up to three years in California state prison"

Good luck to you

Sounds to me like the cop was doing his job. It is like a policeman posted on here once, "you know your intentions, the cop does not." How did he know you were going to be carrying contraband weapons. You did not get arrested for having a belt buckle, you got popped for having brass knuckles. This is what is wrong with us americans as a whole. No one wants to take accountability for their actions. I bet if you punded some guys face with those brass knuckles he would not be telling the story about how a guy beat his ass with a "beltbuckle." You had the illegal weapon on you, you are a retard to think that you were arrested for a belt buckle. Face the music son, you fired the band up.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tweakedvisions

I would contact the officer, and ask him to help you out.. explain that your not trying to make enemies, you will pay a fine, just ask him to help you get the charges reduced.. and perhaps the fine reduced... heck, at this point I'd ask for a simple posession charge... anything but a felony for a stupid belt buckle, that honestly, you should have been wearing... but just be nice and see what happens...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The people in this thread miss the point entirely...the point is that you can be arrested, put in prison, be fined and have you're life seriously ruined for truly insane reasons. I say "time to riot" not because this man was a lone arrest, but because we have allowed lawmakers to create a private prison country where you are criminalized for the most mundane things like "possession"...having a court date or winning a trial does nothing to change the law on the books. Even cases taken to the supreme court do little to untangle the web which comprises the system built to ensnare people. This whole "suck it up" is garbage meant to keep the peace and keep the machine running and I won't shut up about it or be drawn into false arguments...The cop was doing his job, but it is YOU'RE job to exercise you're liberty, refuse to comply and change things for the better. You either have freedom or you don't and no matter how you slice it, there is a giant deficit.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I too had a problem, This was in the U.k.. I am a Biker and was stopped by Police for having Hand-cuffs.

but then i told her they were for bedroom action lol. She Blushed and said ok thats what i use mine for too, and with that she wallked back to her car and winked at me lol. never been pulled up since.
edit on 22-2-2011 by XISTRA118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
The people in this thread miss the point entirely...the point is that you can be arrested, put in prison, be fined and have your life seriously ruined for truly insane reasons. I say "time to riot" not because this man was a lone arrest, but because we have allowed lawmakers to create a private prison country where you are most likely a criminal for the most mundane things like "possession"...

thank you. i dont know how many people on this website have had the privilege to spend time in a county jail, but it isnt too fun. people are getting locked up for the most ridiculous reasons. during my stay, i overheard one of the guys talking about why he was in there. he got arrested for riding his bike on the wrong side of the road. jail has become a good source of revenue

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

That is absurd and you know it. I can stab someone with a ball point pen and be charged with assault with a deadly weapon...should pens be made illegal? Of course not, but I get the feeling that we would have a similar exchange if they were...

Edit: Does utility matter? It has two legitimate uses and more than a handful of people I know own them as show pieces. None of them have clobbered anyone with them...

I have a daily use for a ball point pen. Brass knuckles, however, seem to have eluded me as to their value as a dual use item.

"No officer, that isn't a gun in my pants...it's my pocket weight." or "Well it looks like a bomb officer, but it's really just a fully functioning reproduction I carry as a conversation piece."

So I am at a loss as to what part of my statement is absurd? The part where I point out that the OP freely admits that he knowingly broke the law and did so thinking he had an "angle" out of it? Or the part where I said that his Constitutionally guaranteed day in court will provide him a chance to defend himself against the charges?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Put yourself in the cops position.You pull over some guy with no headlight,and he has weed and brass knuckles on him.You almost leave him no choice but to fine you.

Did you MISS the part where the OP says he is LEGALLY allowed to carry marijuana? That cop didn't do his job. He should have called in the prescription. He saw the guy had mj and got an instant chip on his shoulder and didn't care about whether or not the guy was legally able to carry it. He was looking for something to take him in on and the belt buckle was his excuse.

Also wth does a broken headlight have to do with anything? What only "bad" people have broken headlights? Have you ever seen a brass knuckles belt buckle? I have and if it is like the ones I see all over those are far from real brass knuckles. They are cheap and for decoration. Brass knuckles for some reason are the "in" thing lately. I see them printed on shirts, shorts, hats, in the form of jewelry and hair accessories as well.

You seem to use stereotypes too much.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Oh come on...
what belt buckle?
The cop "smelled you" from distance and did what he should have done...
But excuse me , a brass knuckle CAN NOT BE USED FOR OTHER THINGS THAN TO LEAVE A PERSON WITHOUT TEETHS...
And that's not good...
Besides that , taking in account the law in your state...
You're in "a little s,.,..t" !
And it's your fault!
By the way : you should change the title of this topic , because it's missleading ANYONE who reads it!
I for example was amazed at first read that a person could go to jail for a belt buckle...
Not even in ROMANIA you don't see that...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Terry stop. He had no right to search you as you had done nothing illegal.

Get it thrown out. LEO can't just pull you over and go through your stuff without probable cause.

Medicinal (legal) cannabis is not probable cause, no matter how much LEO doesn't like it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Welcome to the new normal.

It's called citizen harrassment and I'm sorry you were a victim.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just the other night I was coming home and there in the other lane was a car that had been pulled over because they had a headlight out. I just shook my head.

Nope, you got arrested for having a headlight out, which is why you should always carry a less expensive spare especially if you are not squeaky clean otherwise.

There is no reason to carry a concealed weapon unless you choose to be a criminal, there's plenty of things you can carry for fixing flat tires or knocking bad guys over the head that wont get you arrested and are perfectly legal.

Learn to carry smaller amounts of your smokables and store them in a manner that wont bring unwanted attention. Tupperware does wonders.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

You missed the whole point of his post.

He is LEGALLY allowed to possess the marijuana he had. That would be like arresting someone who has pills yet are legally allowed to have them. The cop had an obvious chip on his shoulder and used the light and belt buckle as an excuse.

The brass knuckles is a belt buckle. I know many people with them and they are nothing like real brass knuckles, not even close. They are cheap and you can usually get one for about 10-20 bucks...heck even cheaper at the flea market.

That cop is a jerk. He was just fishing for something and he found it. Why brass knuckles are considered a felony is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

The people in this thread miss the point entirely...the point is that you can be arrested, put in prison, be fined and have you're life seriously ruined for truly insane reasons. I say "time to riot" not because this man was a lone arrest, but because we have allowed lawmakers to create a private prison country where you are criminalized for the most mundane things like "possession"...having a court date or winning a trial does nothing to change the law on the books. Even cases taken to the supreme court do little to untangle the web which comprises the system built to ensnare people. This whole "suck it up" is garbage meant to keep the peace and keep the machine running and I won't shut up about it or be drawn into false arguments...The cop was doing his job, but it is YOU'RE job to exercise you're liberty, refuse to comply and change things for the better. You either have freedom or you don't and no matter how you slice it, there is a giant deficit.

You are delusional. You have a right to live safe without some a-hole clobbering you with a set of brass belt buckle knuckles. It also sounds like anyones arguement that doesn't agree with yours is "false." That kind of mindset is exactly what you are asking to revolt against. These laws are meant to protect us from the people with bad intentions. If everyone refused to comply, it would be chaos and no one would be safe and buisness would be impossible, then comes the cry for protection and laws will be made. What machine are you refering to? Only people with bad intentions would feel like they are in a prison in reference to our laws. What is it, exactly, that you feel you are restrained from doing by the "machine." We are the machine, shed you ignorance and make a change by actions not by contemp and instigation.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
to call it brass knuckles it as to be made out of brass right? just find out what the knuckles are made of ....
they probly did that to u because that state is broke as hell so they arrast people just to get extra money
damn u arnold schwarzenegger!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Absolute disgrace, 1000 dollars wtf???
And they towed his car and stuck him in jail!
We should have candid cameras in our cars, but not in the stereo bit obviously, hey maybe that's what he was looking for.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
All outrage aside, the best thing in this thread is the advice to get a local, connected attorney. Pay him whatever it takes, because a good part of his fee may just be going somewhere else, and your primary motivation should not be outrage, but simply getting off and avoiding a criminal record.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Some of you have missed the point really but never mind. Anyway, bare in mind some police officers would probably do this for"fun" where I'm from I hear of people getting"beat" by the police just for being who they are... (the UK) where as some even break the law themselves, its quite ridiculous to be honest.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
To be fair OP, you had a belt buckle that doubles as a knuckle duster and it was in your pocket. Not attached to any belt. You were also carrying a controlled substance. Yes I know that some people can legally carry marijuana for medicinal purposes, but I also know that there are many people who use this as an excuse to be able to carry marijuana legally. The cop knows this aswell.

You were caught with a weapon. Man up and face the consequences of your actions.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I hope the best for you.

In 1997 in Cal. I went to a target shooting range with a good friend. We were in his pickup truck with 2 target .22 rifles, 2 shotguns and 2 handguns in the bed of the truck. No ammo left and trigger locks on all the guns. We got pulled over for not having his license plates displayed correctly. We kept our hands in front of us and the first thing we both told the officer was what we were doing, where we were and where we going, straight home.

Next thing there was 4 squad cars and we were handcuffed. The local Santa Barbara newspaper happened to be there doing an article on something else and switched their attention to us.

The guns were in the bed of the truck. We thought it made sense to not drive around with the guns on display so they were under a moving blanket. AND we made sure the first thing we told the cop what we had and what we were doing. We got arrested on concealed weapons charges. The police report to the judge said "the guns were discovered upon searching the vehicle". Not true!

The local paper printed our pictures with pictures of the truck and the full 1/2 page below the fold article said we had a "truckload" of "assault weapons". 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, 2 handguns, one a collectors piece by Dan Wesson and a tiny .308 5 round semi auto. NO assault weapons! No ammo. Trigger locks. TRUCKLOAD of guns!!??

We had to plead no contest other wise it would have meant doing time in the county seat, jury trial, and a lot of court and defense costs. WE knew we weren't doing anything wrong and could prove it. BUT technically the guns were "concealed" under the blanket so we would be technically guilty. I so wanted to open my mouth in court and tell our situation to the judge, but just opening my mouth once would have meant pleading and changed our simple situation into a major, drawn out jury case.

So we pleaded no contest and got a fine, 1 year probation and the promise our records would be expunged immediately after probation.

That was almost 14 years ago. I moved to Wisconsin and was fixing up the family farm to sell and applying for jobs there at the same time. I kept getting turned down for work but didn't think anything of it. Just bad luck. Then last November I was pulled over for driving 63 in a 55 (I thought the speed limit was 65). I didn't lie to the cop and told him about what happened in 97. Then I heard his dispatcher tell him about my old weapons charge, that I thought was expunged, (and that I had told him about) and that gave him excuse to search my vehicle and take everything I had and spread it down the highway in FREEZING weather.

The Santa Barbara court never expunged my record like we had in the deal, and 14 years later I'm getting turned down for work and still have a record. The only other trouble I've been in with the law was a speeding ticket in 1986 on my motorcycle in Oklahoma. 6am. No traffic, 72 in a 55, which is now a 75 mph zone anyway.

The only way you can explain your side in court is if you plead innocent and accept all the immediate consequences involved, which makes it more sensible to plead it down to no contest, pay the fine, do the probation and be done with it. But don't believe them about the expungement. Follow up on it yourself or you'll pay for it years later.

Truckload of assault weapons? Yet another reason for me to not trust the MSM. Lying and printing our names and addresses with no other details about all the circumstances of the situation is just irresponsible and sensationalistic journalism.

The police got their *feather in their cap* for the *BIG* weapons bust. The judge and DA got their feathers with the coming down hard on us gun guys conviction and the newspaper got their big scoop on the truckload of assault weapons article. And we got the undeserved sharp end of the stick. That still follows me around 14 years later.

Find a decent attorney (wish you the best with that) and plead down the charges to make your life more simple.

Good luck...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join