It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Control freak's in america make me sick.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalemcfad
I should be tarred and feathered...S&F

Yes, you should, but only for drinking a Budweiser when there are so many better beers out there

Seriously though, the idea that enjoying a smoke or a beer somehow precludes someone from being a great parent is ludicrous. Star for you and S&F for the OP.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, off topic posts, casting aspersions on another's character, talking down to other members, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in post removals and/or warnings including temporary posting bans.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

Posting Jokes, Ridiculing, Making Fun of Others in Threads...

YOU are responsible for your own posts

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
My deepest regrets for being deeply annoyed by the superfluous o in the OP's 'lose'.

I guess I'm just a control freak like that. A real lose cannon!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Point well made. I will not be opening anymore threads that divide people or are hateful in nature. Thanks for your post!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well yes we are a bunch of strong minded or at least strong opinonated bunch arent we. I too am pretty shocked at some of the views I read on this site that seem a little left wing. Considering how this is a conspiracy site and pretty much a "Im sick of the freeking government lying to me about____________ insert here site".

Bill

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Humans have always been control freaks, we want others to be the way we want them to be. But some people are so concerned with others' health that they get a little pushy when they start wanting laws to be creating so they cant smoke or be fat anymore. In the end all that matters is yourself and your health...even though we all care for others its their life and they are in full control of it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
smoker's should be tried for unfit parent's.

That was a joke of a thread. The OP didn't think it through.

fat people should loose the right to healthcare

In a government run healthcare system like we have in the UK we are starting to struggle because people are obese, new ambulances are having to be built, new beds as well. This is all down to gluttony, an easily avoided problem. They should have access to healthcare but i'm starting to think they should pay a little more for it. Otherwise the healthcare system will fail and everyone will lose free healthcare.

Consider it an insentive to get healthy.

drunk's are not people but a shell and not worth pity.

Addiction is a terrible thing and alcoholics deserve treatment. What annoys me personally are the people who fill up A&E every Friday and Saturday. They shoudl have access to healthcare but if they appear more than 3 times in A&E they should be required to pay a fine of some kind. I don't think it's unreasonable, or maybe be forced to attend a councilling program to deal with their drinking.

Note that in a private healthcare system i wouldn't be saying these things.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yeah, it is quite scary how so many people think it's ok to police other's actions ... but even scarier is when such people go to the voting booths, that just scares the shi- out of me!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

It is really difficult to lend any credibility to someone whose post may be perfectly valid if they are terribly deficient in the ability to group together a string of sentences that aren't full of spelling and grammatical errors. You have to realize that there are a ton of people out here who need to be communicated to (in at the very leas), an eighth grade education level. The brain automatically tunes out a theory presented in an uneducated manner.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Udanax because: Important descriptives omitted.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Once again, people are either intentionally or unintentionally glossing over the actual issue with smoking.

It is not about controlling somebody else's personal freedom; people can do what they want as long as it doesn't harm anybody else.

The caveat of ''as long as it doesn't harm anybody else'' being the key factor here.

Somebody earlier mentioned the quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes: "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

And this can be aptly rephrased as: ''The right to smoke a cigarette ends where the other man's nose begins.''

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I say this as a non smoker.

I think that simile is unfair because the punch will instantly damage someone, whereas a single blast of smoke is not likely to cause any damage. Walking along a main road you will be exposed to more damaging fumes. However this is the reason it was banned in places like pubs and restruants because the stuff accumulates.

However i think the laws are draconian, it should have been left to the landlords to decide if their pub was a smoking or non smoking establishment.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

There are a few things to take note on about the 'control freaks' around us.
1, I feel sorry for them because they are weak, they do not know how to operate in an environment with variable personalities and feel the only way is their way.
2, Most come from a state of 'position' rather than 'need', they will argue and impose their position on a belief or subject without consideration to another persons needs.
3, Theyre dangerous, although there may be genuine concern rooted in some of the topics that are focused on for regulation, a control freak never sees the damage done to the removal of choice and free will, until the topic finally hits something near and dear to them.
4, Finally most are hypocrites and in most cases professional victims, they will attack a subject, or behavior with labeling insults and when the responses are handed back in opposition with the same color they'll cry foul or act surprised and violated.

Not all suggestions from people are designed to hurt or have their roots in being control freaks,
Some people genuinely do care but lack the skills to communicate without offending,
The one nice thing about those type of people is they will most likely be apologetic as soon as they sense theyve stepped over or came across wrongly.
A true control freak will ride that defensive position down into a flaming abyss arguing the entire way and steering in to a point where 'it's all your fault'.

There is no perfection,
You cant expect perfection because no one can deliver it,

This is something that the true control freak cannot accept.

Be gentle with them, theyre damaged, try and help them, and if that doesnt work,
ignore them, and if that doesnt work, and they end up rising to power, send them to god.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Originally posted by hawaii50th

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Yes, for the most part, people should just mind their own business.

But also, people need to stop bitching and complaining about taking consequences of their own actions:

Like people who make 13/hr and took out a mortgage on a 250k home.

Personal freedom, it goes both ways.

But I realize this is useless to talk about, people love to bitch and moan - and face facts - when you put enough people together in any given area - we tend to piss each other off.
edit on 22-2-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

This can go on and on. There is a lot more to it than we could even begin to talk about here.
It always starts at the top when it comes to being responsible, and accountable. And it takes a special type of person to admit when they are wrong, but these days most would rather be on top rather than admit to their short comings. Damn old pride always gets in the way, another is jealousy.

Yes and no - the reason why I say this is because I took personal responsibility in my own finances. I make a reasonable income, I rent and thought about buying a house. I could afford to do so, but when looking at the numbers, and thinking about the future - I decided it was too risky to take a mortgage. My friends always say I have cash to spend, and yes I do - because I budget my money.

As I said, you can't just blame someone higher up in the food chain - you had your own decision to make....and you should have to deal with the consequences (but not saying they don't have their share of the blame, they knew what they were doing, and should be held accountable - IE: no bailout money when it comes crashing down)

(and seeing how this isn't really what the OP intended, I will leave it here)

edit on 22-2-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

What I failed to say is that we can lead by example and that's starting from the top. It's not to blame others at the top, but if there were good honest leaders at the top maybe than that would be an inspiration to everyone else to do good, and this starts in the home of everyone's household.
But I guess that's just being a dreamer.
edit on 22-2-2011 by hawaii50th because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2011 by hawaii50th because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, off topic posts, casting aspersions on another's character, talking down to other members, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in post removals and/or warnings including temporary posting bans.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

Posting Jokes, Ridiculing, Making Fun of Others in Threads...

YOU are responsible for your own posts

Tension is on the rise

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

To each their own. You can be a vampire, atheist, liberal, conservative, Muslim, Christian, Satanist, witch, smoker, overweight, smoke any herb you want to, eat any food you want to - I don't care, just leave me alone.

Just leave me alone eh? Well guess what smart guy, each one of those groups want to control what you do and what they are allowed to do. Do you not realize the rules of psychology when it concerns the human mind? Each one of these groups thinks that they are right and that others are wrong. Each one of these groups is diametrically opposed to the other groups.

Let’s all just get along eh? Does history state this as the norm? Of course not. Each one of these minorities changes the laws in their favor when they reach the majority. Should you be forced to be a satanic living in a satanic state? Should you be forced to live under Shari law? In history, each of these groups has always sought to control all other opposing religions and ideologies.

Only fools think that there has ever been, or will ever be, a state of peace between disunities. The Muslims attack the Christians. In response, the Christians embark on the crusades against the Muslims. Human nature has not changed since the dawn of man. Cain killed Able and lied to God about it. It is only the fools who falsely hope that opposed groups will choose peace instead of war. Each country, and each group of people of vastly differing groups, lives in a semi-permanent state of ceasefire so long as angers do not flair and the injustices performed against one another remain hidden from view and disguised by clever planning. Then, when evil deeds are discovered on either side, angers enflame the truths of their opposing differences and war and or civil unrest ensues. Rioters loot, pillage, rape, and murder their chosen enemies with unrivaled veracity, showing the world how insane, sociopathic, and evil many groups within any given society have become.

Only fools tolerate others within their midst’s who voice and demonstrate that anyone who thinks differently than they do is the enemy. Is Iran loving friends with Isreal? Of course not. And so, any given nation on earth at this moment is a volcano bulging forth its sides, waiting for a dramatic enough catalyst to come along and trigger the explosions of the differing groups rage against those who foolishly thought that the smoldering volcano in their midst’s was benign and harmless. And so, history repeats itself, and the lessons once learned long ago are relearned again by the wounded and shattered if they should survive the onslaught of their enemies.

All societies are in a struggle for dominance of ideologies. To ignore this fact, is the ideology of the foolish. The strong majority will lord it over the weaker minority. It has been and will always be this way. To ignore the pervasive and degenerative actions and beliefs of others who are opposed to your beliefs is the mark of the weak and foolish who enentually become the slaves of other wills.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Hot_Wings because: grammer

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
. For each "control freak" on ATS, I can also point you to other members who are full-on anarchists, who rebel against any and all rule of law.

What's wrong with that? The "rule" of "law" is put in place by the control freaks. After all, it's not law which prevents anything... it's the individual.

However I do agree with the OP's disgust at any and all attempts to marginalize other human beings based upon any and all labels or demographics. I learned a long time ago that wise men judge and punish behaviors, fools seek to judge and punish other people.
~Heff

Yes, agreed. Though, a judgement on anything is still purely based on opinion and is another way of marginalizing. Usually, it seems, people use these judgements (on behaviors or people) to impose their belief systems on others. Another form of control.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Dude, I am so glad that you wrote this thread. I've been letting my anger get the best of me and I've been worried that my comments towards other members would get me banned, but man am I tired of seeing threads and posts from people hell bent on policing everyone else.

eh...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I smoke, I try to live as cruelty free as I can (Buy Non-Animal Tested Goods), I have empathy for all life also a Christian (NO I Don't Give A CRAP if people disbelieve, Good Luck To Them I Say) & I also get pissed off when "Control Freaks" tell me how to be.

Thankyou for a well written post

edit on 22-2-2011 by Burgo because: Coz I Can!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Couldnt agree more people should preach on here telling you what to do this isnt church.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join