It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Can't Remember What Day the 4th of July Falls On! Unbelievable!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Not everyone is intelligent in the same ways, at the same levels, about the same things. What fun would that be?

That is a profound statement, what a boring world and life we would have if were all the same, who would we have to argue with, diversity is the spice of life.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Jean Paul Zodeaux, Europeans are just jealous. don't take them too seriously.

this is how i see the OP (numbered here are the paragraphs):

1. Jay Leno deliberately tries to show Americans in bad light. And it takes his crew a long time. That is stupid.
2. Erudition is not the same as Wisdom.
3. [Jab at brevity with a vague technophobia.]
4. Birds of a feather flock together. Jay is as stupid as the folk he finds on the streets.
5. People don't like reading my long-winded,self-congratulatory novels. I don't care they might have limited time or other valid reasons to do so.
6. My briefly sentenced points are so dang brilliant they invite more confusion than answer questions. You still want me to write in brief? Also Zen Masters are not what they are cracked up to be. I know it's irrelevant here, but who cares?
7. I am verbose and proud of it.
8. Foreigners brainwash visiting Americans into thinking Americans are dumb. The convinced ones ARE really stupid. How much ruder can these foreign a*sswipes get?
9. A few friends and me met a bunch of angry Europeans at a hipster den.
10. Pretentious European f*cktards kept making fun of us. their misguided attitude was uncalled for. [[this whole paragraph i agree with the OP. i personally think you should have roundhouse kicked that immature French bastard in the face]]
11. Everything got lost in translation and it had us all in stitches.
12. We politely explained to European buffoons that "cowboy" means "kicka*ss", not "dummy" which i think scared their poosy a*sses.
13. Foreigners in questions left in firm belief that we Americans are dumb. but the feeling is mutual, honey. This is a big conspiracy.
14. [OP's speculations here]
15. [ the closing was funny though]

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I like to think I am intelligent. It is more fun than thinking I am a moron, although I will admit I waver regularly between the two extremes. I suppose you could say that I can only judge the intelligence of those that I think have LESSER or equal intelligence. When someone speaks jibberish, I think they are morons until I learn that jibberish was genius. Then, the feelings of moron comes out in me...
Anyway, one game I always liked but haven't played in a while was the "coded" sentences where all letters were replaced by others and a clue was provided. I then set forth to create a sentence where ALL letters of the alphabet were used, within the guidelines of the game. In other words, not a really long sentence, but a "regular" sentence. I created one, can you?
ATS members should try it. It is challenging and fun. Maybe bring your coded sentence with a clue. It would be tough to figure out the answer, I think, but fun.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by delicatessen
Jean Paul Zodeaux, Europeans are just jealous. don't take them too seriously.

this is how i see the OP (numbered here are the paragraphs):

1. Jay Leno deliberately tries to show Americans in bad light. And it takes his crew a long time. That is stupid.
2. Erudition is not the same as Wisdom.
3. [Jab at brevity with a vague technophobia.]
4. Birds of a feather flock together. Jay is as stupid as the folk he finds on the streets.
5. People don't like reading my long-winded,self-congratulatory novels. I don't care they might have limited time or other valid reasons to do so.
6. My briefly sentenced points are so dang brilliant they invite more confusion than answer questions. You still want me to write in brief? Also Zen Masters are not what they are cracked up to be. I know it's irrelevant here, but who cares?
7. I am verbose and proud of it.
8. Foreigners brainwash visiting Americans into thinking Americans are dumb. The convinced ones ARE really stupid. How much ruder can these foreign a*sswipes get?
9. A few friends and me met a bunch of angry Europeans at a hipster den.
10. Pretentious European f*cktards kept making fun of us. their misguided attitude was uncalled for. [[this whole paragraph i agree with the OP. i personally think you should have roundhouse kicked that immature French bastard in the face]]
11. Everything got lost in translation and it had us all in stitches.
12. We politely explained to European buffoons that "cowboy" means "kicka*ss", not "dummy" which i think scared their poosy a*sses.
13. Foreigners in questions left in firm belief that we Americans are dumb. but the feeling is mutual, honey. This is a big conspiracy.
14. [OP's speculations here]
15. [ the closing was funny though]

Pretty much what I felt while reading that OP, too.

Except, I don't believe a word of the coffee shop scene. It seems extremely unlikely to me and a probably invention to further his point.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
How's this for funny?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I happen to thoroughly enjoy your long posts Jean Paul. I read every word. But as I told Schuyler not too long ago. I wish my fingers knew, and could articulate my thoughts as coherently as yours do. I can see it in my head. But I often can't duplicate it on a keyboard, or for that matter, with my mouth. But then again, what people don't know about me is that I have to think twice as hard as the average person to articulate my thoughts coherently, I won't go into why here on ATS. But that's why some of my posts just don't quite sound right, or may look like gibberish. I let my fingers get ahead of my brain. I have to make myself slow down. My point being, it makes me look and sound less than intelligible at times.

Anyway, thanks for another enjoyable read. S&F.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
There is also the possibility, as with any type of entertainment, that they only aired footage of the people who didnt know the answer. Since we dont have the total number of people that were asked these questions, the assumption that Americans are stupid might be a bit premature (dont get me wrong, there are some people out there whose only purpose is to serve as a warning to others).

If they asked this question to 100 people, and 10 people did not know the answer where 90 did know the answer, its a bit misleading..

Just my 2 cents playing devils advocate.

Misleading is right, but if you want to believe Americans are dumb then this helps your cause. I believe there are dumb people everywhere, every country has smart people and dumb people. It's just in America our weakest links are put front and center with TV and youtube.They LOVE to show the world just how many different ways they can hit themselves in the junk, and then of course there is reality TV.

But to have a headline that reads "Americans can't remember what day the fourth of July falls on! Unbelievable!!" is just arrogant and quite frankly, stupid. There are 310 million people in this country, they ALL can't be stupid.

I know what day July 4th is on......well wait, I know this...it's in the summer, fireworks and barbecues...uuuummmm......your putting me on the spot.....it's... awww crap.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join