It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Can't Remember What Day the 4th of July Falls On! Unbelievable!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Unbelievable is correct. Ever since Jay Leno began doing his stupid "man on the street" interviews to illustrate how stupid Americans are, I couldn't help but wonder just how long the interviewer and crew had to stand on a street corner to get enough footage to run 90 seconds of stupidity. How long, I wonder? An hour? Less than an hour? More than an hour? Any thing longer than an hour and you have to wonder how stupid that is. Can you imagine Jay Leno's crew on a street corner for a full day, interviewing people just to get 90 seconds of footage of stupid people? I can. Why can I? It's not because I am so naive to think that every American that walks the streets of New York are erudite and wise, I just have a hard time believing they're all stupid.

The fact of the matter is that I know some very intelligent people. I was just talking with a friend yesterday who is extremely intelligent, who several times throughout our conversation suffered from "brain farts" and struggled to remember the name of this person, or find the word to describe that thing. It frustrated him to know end, and I understand the frustration, but it didn't make him stupid. Some days we all struggle to remember certain factoids, other days we do not struggle at all. Not all people I know are as smart as this friend I am referring to, and to be honest, I don't have too many stupid friends. Which is actually the point of this thread.

Tonight I was talking to another friend who is an avid user of Twitter. I don't really know exactly what my aversion to Twitter is, but I know that one aversion is I don't like the 140 character limitation. I know, I know, "So Duh!" Some of you are thinking, right? Go figure that JPZ would have a problem with a site that expects you to communicate in 140 characters or less. Let's see if I can get this thread written in under a 140 paragraphs or less. Anyway, he was telling me that there are features about the site that allow for longer posts, and then began defending the 140 character limitation as a good thing, and I don't disagree. It wouldn't hurt me at all to spend some time in a site where I had to learn how to express a thought in a 140 characters or less. Particularly since I am not so incline to rely on acronyms to do so. However, it didn't take him long, when I was telling him about ATS, for him to acknowledge that there are some genuine knuckleheads on Twitter, and he felt that he had lurked in ATS long enough to postulate that I don't have to deal with as many knuckleheads on this site as he does on Twitter.

This made sense to me. "So Duh!" What do you expect from a site where the average communication is expressed in 140 characters or less? What's my point? My point is if you lie with dogs you shouldn't be surprised if you wake up with fleas. Is it really such a big surprise that Jay Leno would put so much effort into finding stupid people on the streets of New York? It's not like Jay Leno is known for his highly intelligent humor and discourse. George Carlin or Dennis Miller he ain't. Hell, he ain't even Johnny Carson...not by a long shot. I think I don't encounter many stupid people in the course of any given day because stupid people have no interest in talking to me, and I have no interest in talking to stupid people. I don't really remember Johnny Carson being so enamored with stupid people, and that makes sense to me, because Johnny Carson isn't stupid...not by a long shot. Am I saying Jay Leno is stupid? Maybe I am, it's not really my point.

Relax, I've got a way to go before I reach that 140 paragraph limit. Sigh. I do encounter people that get frustrated with the fact that if they are going to read my posts or threads, they can pretty much expect to settle in with some popcorn and a six pack. It is a frustration for me that there are so many people that don't like to read. That's understandable being a writer. What writer would be happy or content with a nation of people that hate to read? But, here's the thing; while occasionally I will encounter some member who takes me to task for my verbosity, most people that don't like to read just avoid me...like the plague! Those few who do castigate me, I am assuming are doing so because I was interesting enough to be read enough from start to finish, but long enough that they were maddeningly wondering just when the hell I was going to get to that finish and why I couldn't just get there sooner.

Actually, I am a big fan of brevity. In screenwriting there is an axiom that goes, if you can say it in a sentence, good. If you can say it in a word, better. If you can say it without saying it all, best! But that is screenwriting where the writer is writing for a visual medium, and this axiom makes sense. There is also a thought from Eastern philosophy that goes; Speech is good. Less speech is better. Speechlessness is best. But that makes sense, we're talking about those Zen guys and let's face it, those Zen Masters may be pretty enlightened and all, but for all of that enlightenment they don't seem to have much to say. What is the sound of one hand clapping? Come on! Tell that to the tree, buddy! The problem with me and brevity is that every time I put the effort into that, and I have crafted what I think are some damn fine thoughts written in just a few sentences, this inevitably engenders more outrage than if I were to take my time and fully explain what I mean. I mean, I thought I had made myself perfectly clear in the few sentences, but it never fails that people get angry with what I wrote and begin attacking my arguments in a way that, I swear to God it seems that I have to spend more time writing responses than I would have spent writing if I just wrote a longer argument.

So for me it takes a little longer to get to my point than it does for others. Some people say potato, I say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. You can only imagine how those potatoes turn out. The thing is, I like to write. I like to play with words, and I like the way certain words dance across the page, or screen. If this makes me "too verbose" then color me verbose. I once painted my whole kitchen verbose, and what the hell is wrong with that? Better than hot pink, I'll tell you that! Not that I am judging people who paint their kitchen walls hot pink. Whatever floats your boat, right? I'm just saying, that's all.

I guess the point I am trying to make here in my round about way is that stupid is as stupid does, and believe me, I am not happy with echoing Forest Gump to make a point. In fact, I suspect that precisely because a movie that praised the simple mind won an Oscar is in a large part why Americans are viewed as being stupid by people from other nations. I know this, I read plenty in this site and on other websites in this world wide web where people from other countries seem to relish the idea of coloring Americans as stupid. I know people who come back after a stint in a foreign land and will spend hours recounting how stupid Americans are compared to - place name of country visited here - but the thing is, and again I don't know too many stupid people, but I do know some who might qualify as that, most of these people who have returned from foreign lands who spend hours trying to convince me that Americans are stupid compared to - place name of country visited here - are not really all that bright. I can't help but wonder if it ever occurred to these people that maybe...just maybe...Americans aren't as rude as people in - place name of country visited here - and don't put a lot of effort into to trying to convince that person how stupid they are.

I can remember hanging out at this coffee house in L.A. right after Bush II sent the troops to Iraq, with his "shock and awe" campaign. The name of the coffee house is the Bourgeois Pig, one of those pretentious coffee houses where the proprietors must demand that their employees treat the customers with utter disgust and genuine disregard. Sort of like Amoeba Records which is another pretentious business that sells used records, cd's and DVD's for a price that well exceeds what they would cost brand new at Best Buy or Wall Mart, and people must like spending more for used stuff at the place because of the ambiance, which is being treated as rudely as one can imagine...anyway...there I was hanging out at the Bourgeois Pig with a few friends and we met up with some foreigners. One guy from England, two from France, and one chick from Germany and another from Belgium. These five foreigners were really angry at us Americans, and it wasn't for the bad coffee and even worse service, it was because of "shock and awe" and Bush II.

So, there we are sitting patiently listening to their diatribes about how all Americans were a bunch of cowboys, and we were showing quite a bit of patience because the chicks were pretty cute, and they kept going on and on and on about cowboy this, and you American cowboys that. I was sitting there watching this...listening to this in a sort of confused daze. One of the guys from France picked up on my stupefied look and didn't waste any time pointing out how stupid we are and look, especially when confronted with our imperialism and other crap. Personally I think this French guy was getting a little jealous at the way the chick from Belgium was looking at me and smiling quite a bit at me, who in my stupid American way would smile and wink back, but what do I know? Maybe he was just really impressed with being French and couldn't resist telling me and my friends that he was French and because of that more erudite and not at all a stupid cowboy. They would say cowboy in this disgustedly drawn out way as if they wanted to spit on the very notion of the thought of cowboys, not to mention maybe kick a few actual cowboys in the cajones, just for being cowboys.

What had me genuinely stupefied, and as I explained it the French guy, was that they kept throwing the word "cowboy" out at us as if it were some kind of insult. The reaction of everyone at the table when I said this was really interesting. My friends started laughing knowingly - David practically spitting coffee through is nose, (good thing he wasn't drinking milk!) - and the foreigners were laughing as well, and even knowingly but in a different knowing way than my friends were laughing, as the English guy rolled his eyes and went pffffttttt, the two French guys also sort of went pfffffftttt but with a French accent, and the Belgium girls sort of giggled in a kind of guttural way. The French guy who was taking so much pleasure in pointing out my stupidity answered; "Of course, you cowboy!" in that thick French accent that would make a compliment sound like an insult.

This only made my friends laugh even harder, and these foreigners, not at all being stupid, began to suspect that the joke was on them. The other French guy asked David why he thought this was so funny. However, David was still getting over the burn of coffee coming through his nose while still laughing, so I politely explained that most Americans - at least those Americans who didn't live in Berkely - didn't really have a problem with the cowboy image. The foreigners looked stupefied. We, being the polite Americans we are, but also being a bunch of guys, did our best to stop laughing at these bufoons to explain to them a little about the cowboy way, which struck the English guy and the smart ass French guy as us threatening them. I don't know, maybe in a way we were sort of making veiled threats in a cowboy sort of way. I'll tell you this, there was never any doubt that David, Chris and myself could very easily kick the English guy and two French clowns butts. That's the cowboy way.

Needless to say it was shortly after explaining to them the cowboy way that they left and went back to their hostel, or wherever foreigners who come to Los Angeles go after they've had enough of stupid Americans. No doubt they left smugly assured that this encounter only proved just how stupid Americans really are, and I can assure you that once they left David, Chris and I agreed that English and French guys seemed to be pretty stupid, but the Nordic chicks are hot. You know what I think? I think this whole "American's are really stupid" thing is a big conspiracy.

I think the British, and French, and yes, to some extent event the German and Belgium people have conspired to convince Americans that they are really stupid. I think that all those noble students who went to school to learn how to teach, and before they accepted their proffessorships, went off to Europe for the summer backpacking and met up with a bunch of Europeans who convinced them that American's are really stupid, so when they got back and started teaching at Berkely they figured; "Why should I teach these stupid Americans anything, because they're so damn stupid, and a bunch of cowboys anyway." So these world weary proffessors refused to teach these stupid cowboy Americans anything, and when these stupid cowboy American's didn't learn anything this only confirmed how stupid American cowboys really were, so one day at some high faluting cocktail party a whole bunch of world weary proffessors were mingling with Jay Leno and his wife, and they all told Jay Leno how stupdi American's really were, and he figured, "hey, that's got to be worth a few laughs", and so he sent his crew out on to the streets of New York to spend 8 or 9 hours looking for stupid people, and made a 90 second clip of it, where Steven Colbert watched that clip and thought to himself; "Hey! That's pretty damn funny. Maybe I'll create a satire about stupid news anchors", and this really pissed off Bill O'Reilly who didn't much appreciate that sort of liberal crap, because, after all, O'Reilly being of the Irish American kind, is really just a cowboy, so he began telling people to "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!", and things just got really stupid.

Now, the world loves to get online and tell Americans just how stupid they are, which really pisses of Americans who like to say "Nuh-unh", which gives other people from other nations the chance to say; "Uh-huh", which in turn gives Americans the opportunity to say; "Nope", which then gives people from other countries the chance to reply; "Yep", and then the Americans go; "Are not", and then the people from other countries go; "Are too", and then the American's go; "Oh yeah?' which compels the people from other countries to go; "Yeah!" and so the Americans go "How about if I kick your ass, would you say that then?", which gives people from other countries the chance to say; "See? You American's are just a bunch of cowboys!", and all the while the Illuminati are going; "Bwaaaaahahahahahhahah"

Thinks about it. That's all I'm asking, just think about it.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
umm... wednesday! am i right?
i wanna talk like an american.
i wanna walk like an egyptian.
(i think i got that the right way around backwards).

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Interesting post, not coming from America myself I wonder what you would think of the view I got of Americans after reading your post. So... I'm going to take a while for it to absorb and then I hope I can give you a nice reply.

Kind regards

Wolf
edit on 19-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: making it more understandable.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

I'm going out on a limb here, but, would that be on July 4th? You didn't ask which day of the week.

Mahree

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If you think that's bad, I suggest not travelling to another country then.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I read your entire post and enjoyed your words. I have often wondered that if the pace of our current society continued to speed up, if we would someday lose our abilities to communicate on the level that we did in the past (meaning the ability to use rich, full sentences with adjectives, etc.). Instead perhaps a pseudo-language would develop were one word would or could mean 100 words or emotions. What that would do to literature ... (gasps).

Just look at some of the "language" that has already developed with text messaging (as you have pointed out). Derived from either character limits and/or time limits we now have things like LOL, ROTFLMAO, and many more.

More curious is exactly how and when did it come to pass that so many people dislike reading? In my opinion (or to be more understandable to some IMO) we can thank the television.

Anyways, as an American living in Germany I can tell you that the US is not the only country or culture struggling with the problems of stupidity. And I find it simply amazing how some things that I take for common knowledge (i.e. how many feet are in a mile, what is the speed of light, etc.) are like differential calculus equations to some people.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Actually, being an American myself, I have to say Americans in general are pretty stupid. I personally think that if you made veiled threats at the foreigners when they pointed out the stupidity of the average American, you proved their point. Only a truly stupid person would match a challenge of brains with a threat of violence.

I used to watch the Leno skits and think, "No way people are this dumb. They had to sit out there over a period of days to come up with this material". So I would go to work and actually ask random people I would meet the same questions I would see on Leno. Guess what? It didn't take days or hours to get the same retarded responses. Especially if you aim for the 25 and under age group. Give it a try sometime, see for yourself.
edit on 19-2-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Lmao... Can only say that from my travels stupidity isnt limited to just america.. No matter where one goes in the world there will be a village idiot.. Just that with people like bush, obama, hillary et al.. In the media it makes it look like the majority are idiots..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I used to watch the Leno skits and think, "No way people are this dumb. They had to sit out there over a period of days to come up with this material".

Yes, I have watched those bits too (and found them amusing), but I had thought the same thing. Either they had to ask so many people over a long duration to produce those results or they basically faked the answers (perhaps telling the people that they will be on the Leno show).

At least that was what I hoped!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
One of the most prophetic works of all time was a film called IDIOCRACY. It basically walks us through our descent.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Actually, being an American myself, I have to say Americans in general are pretty stupid. I personally think that if you made veiled threats at the foreigners when they pointed out the stupidity of the average American, you proved their point. Only a truly stupid person would match a challenge of brains with a threat of violence.

What are you, from Berkley?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
One of the most prophetic works of all time was a film called IDIOCRACY. It basically walks us through our descent.

The rich irony of that is that idiocracy is Greek, and the literal translation would be "self-rule", not "idiots rule" as Mike Judge was clearly counting on people understanding it to mean. Idio means self, or own, personal, private, or ones own, and -cracy comes from the suffix kratia which means rule.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Haha. It's all about perception, isn't it? You cowboy! It's early, and I'm only half-caffeinated, so bear with me here, but I did make it through your OP at least once so far.

To begin, let's agree that there might be some people who are still repeating the old, leftover "lets bash America's intellect" theme that was probably both prescient and valid to a degree a couple of decades ago. For the most part, the people still doing this—whether they were actually the "intellectual" early adopters of this trend or simply their unthinking followers—haven't looked up long enough to realize this is an issue no longer limited to America.

After we clear that up, the behavior you're describing seems to be linked to a dysphoria that is permeating our consciousness and manifesting as many things, the apparent stupidity being among them. No. Not nearly as many as some would love to believe are really, honestly, and truly stupid. Some are, of course, and they can out stupid with the best of em, but that's still the exception and not the rule. However, the way it's trending, and if we don't take some serious steps to reverse it, it may well become the rule.

Now, having said this, I believe there really is something going on—probably multiple somethings. One thing, and probably the thing at the foundation of all this, is that while we are still perfectly capable, we're simply out of practice. We don't need to formulate and the articulate clear, organized, coherent thoughts in our day-to-day lives, so we don't. We also don't get down to intelligent conversation because it's getting harder to find someone willing to go there with us. We attempt to engage in debates that repeatedly end up in a totally predictable way.

Our entire social world, both business and personal,is boiling down to a series of emails and texts that don't contain words much challenging than LOLs and OMGs or sitting passively and being fed whatever comes over the airwaves at us. If we don't take conscious steps to practice and keep making the effort to seek out intellectual stimulation, eventually we will lose the capacity forever.

I also believe there's something else at play here. There seems to be a marked increase in this "stupid" type of behavior everywhere. At work, in lines, in traffic. People are getting more forgetful, and the oddest thing is that most of the time when people can't remember something, they are super willing to just "let it go." As if it's almost too much of an effort to think about it so they're not going to even try. It's not the normal every once in a while forgetting something but more like some sort of strange fog that descends.

It's not really apathy or stagnation or stupidity or being distracted by life pressures, the cell phone, or the interwebs. People seem quicker to anger too, and I don't we can simply explain it away by saying, oh everyone's just stressed out and distracted, although in many cases that probably doesn't help the overall situation. It's some sort of environmental condition (diet? air? overmedication? radiowaves?), and it's getting worse.

And, of course, the obvious here is that there are clearly some factions at work who benefit from pitting us against—country against country just being one of many. Whether they create this climate, take advantage or it or both, doesn't much matter—it's a reality. But if we keep communicating and better still laughing with each other, they won't get their way.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
There is also the possibility, as with any type of entertainment, that they only aired footage of the people who didnt know the answer. Since we dont have the total number of people that were asked these questions, the assumption that Americans are stupid might be a bit premature (dont get me wrong, there are some people out there whose only purpose is to serve as a warning to others).

If they asked this question to 100 people, and 10 people did not know the answer where 90 did know the answer, its a bit misleading..

Just my 2 cents playing devils advocate.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

What are you, from Berkley?

No I am not from Berkley, and what does that have to do with anything I wrote in my previous post? I can answer that for you... nothing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
3 years ago I was “diagnosed” being a hypo maniac, What that means basically is that I think allot and I talk allot. Up until the point that a group of 10 people consisting of psychiatrists and psychologists got together and tried to figure out what might be wrong with me mentally, and eventually diagnosed me as being a hypo maniac, I thought I was normal. And that I was acting normal.

My friends laughed at me allot when I started to take part in a conversation they were having because I thought; Hey interesting I know about this lets participate!, . And when I did during me talking about the subject at hand I could always see their faces twitching and trying not to laugh. They did not think I was being stupid, but they were laughing because I talked so much, and so fast. They also said that I could get to the point of me making my point much faster, well I did not disagree but I did disagree with the fact that they wanted me to get there faster. It seems that people also here in Holland don’t want to listen for very long, and want people to get to the point quickly because they want to “get it over with”

Here there are just as many people disinterested in reading and people disinterested in listening or debating than over in the US ( relatively speaking of course ). This got to a point where I thought I was the stupid one because everybody had their thoughts made up in no time when in a conversation. So I started to doubt myself because I always had to talk about a subject so much in order to get my point across ( very clearly ), even if they would agree with me or thought I was being very clear in making my point. People get me, but also tend to find it funny and laugh at me…so who’s the stupid one actually? Them for laughing at me and making me think that I am stupid or myself because I make a point in a few sentences because I always think that it’s not what I would have wanted to say if I only write down or speak my mind in a few sentences.

What caused people to want to get to a point so quickly not wanting to read or listen to a person for too long? What causes people like me to be victimized by being labeled as a hypo maniac, because I talk allot and I think about subjects allot before I speak my mind? They wanted to get me on medication so I could be more calm, and let my brain work on a tempo that is more normal ( they actually said that to me! ) I refused the drugs and I’m still very happy that I did not take them.

Enter the media...

I noticed that when certain commercials where on the TV or certain shows where on, that many times we would say…”Ow hey, there is another one of that stupid game shows that blew over from America, Man those people have to be stupid to be able to watch that stuff”. And now all those “stupid shows” are labeled as “American TV” you could call it Americanalisation of Dutch TV if you like. So we the people of Holland make an assumption about citizens of the US of A that because the shows are stupid Americans must be stupid because they watch those shows over there. At least I think allot of people think that way because it’s true that most people hate or find everything that comes from America stupid or an insult on intelligence or something.

...still working on my reply, but I wanted to post this part. I have to go away for a little while. Will start working again on the reply when I get back.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: Grammar, I think I am going to be doing that allot

edit on 19-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: I hate to say I told you so

edit on 19-2-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: hehe..i'm sorry I really am but that's just the way I edit...allot

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra

"Don't worry scro, there are plenty of tards out there living kick ass lives. My first wife, was tarded, she's a pilot now."

Where's your tattoo?

edit on 19-2-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

All those words and you didn't even state what we celebrate on July 4th. I assume that's what you meant because it is pretty obvious that July 4th fallls on July 4th. Well, for anyone reading who doesn't know, July 4th is Independence day celebrating the supposed freedom of our country from England on July 4th, 1776.

And for the rest of you bragging about your IQ,s. Smart people don't flaunt their smartness. Some of the dumbest people I know have high IQ's. You can have all the knowledge in the world, but it is useless if you can't put it to proper use.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Bingo! I knew you'd get it! Thanks for taking the time to read that, and most importantly, thanks for laughing with me, while we take a serious look at this disturbing problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

edit on 19-2-2011 by Adamanteus because: Wrong thread

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join