It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Can't Remember What Day the 4th of July Falls On! Unbelievable!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One of my fondest workplace memories (I worked in the produce department of a large grocery for many years) came during planning for the holiday season. The first day was Thanksgiving, and we were trying to coordinate schedules around plans for the holiday, which covers Thursday thru Sunday. Q wanted the day after for shopping the sales. X wanted to know how we knew that was going to be on Friday, because Thanksgiving was on Thursday last year, so it would fall on a different day this year. Yep, she didn't know or believe that Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, has always been and always will be on a Thursday. We had to get a multi-year calender to show her.
She was about 30 years old and had some college. And dumb as a box of rocks about more than holidays.
As a nation, I worry about our future.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
JPZ, one of the brightest stars in the ATS sky....what a great OP.

I have to say, however, that the "redneck" is likely the mentality that they are trying to peg. And there are rednecks everywhere. You know, the small minded type, usually rural and not exposed to broader concepts? They don't just live in American south. You see them on TV in Lebanon, burning effigy's. Or falling in line with hypernationalistic ideals, a la Nazism.

"Cowboy" is not a bad thing. "Redneck" might just be, however. While I am not rocket surgeon, I am not stupid. But would happily consider myself a cowboy (a rock and roll cowboy, if possible).

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Well, you mention Jay Leno and his "Jaywalking" comedy bits....is it time to dust these off, and trot them out? First, an Aussie tongue-in-cheek look. Looked like it didn't take this reporter long to find a willing confederacy of dunces....(might have taken some time, I see he went coast-to-coast....from right here in D.C., and then out to LA):

Now, a bit of a rebuttal (not sure why they picked on the UK...when the other video was from Australia?) It does tend to tie with the one below, though....in terms of ways to get the humorous results you wish:

Make what you will of this:

edit on 19 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Tid bit of info... - Howard Stern started "jay walking" years before Leno ever stole the idea from him... Just a FYI...

good topic though. people dont care about anything else than going to work and watching american idol or jersey shore after work... as long as they can do that, they dont care what else is going on in the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Can you imagine Jay Leno's crew on a street corner for a full day, interviewing people just to get 90 seconds of footage of stupid people? I can. Why can I? It's not because I am so naive to think that every American that walks the streets of New York are erudite and wise, I just have a hard time believing they're all stupid.

Since I have never watched Leno and not seen this segment of his show it is hard for me to comment on it, having said that I agree that they all can’t be that stupid.

Some days we all struggle to remember certain factoids, other days we do not struggle at all. Not all people I know are as smart as this friend I am referring to, and to be honest, I don't have too many stupid friends. Which is actually the point of this thread

It drives me insane when I can’t remember something, I go through a process to remember and if that doesn’t work I will for instance do something like I did years ago, was listening to music on the radio and they played a song that none of us could remember the name of, so I called the radio station, and yes in those days the disc jockey answered the phone, to ask the name of the song, not only did he tell me it went out over the air.

Tonight I was talking to another friend who is an avid user of Twitter. I don't really know exactly what my aversion to Twitter is, but I know that one aversion is I don't like the 140 character limitation.

With you there, I have disabled my Twiiter and Facebook accounts, the fact is with Facebook I don’t care to get in touch with old friends, if they meant so much to me I would have stayed in touch all these years. I also don’t have the patience to follow Twitter, by the time you read one tweet it becomes twenty pages long.

Relax, I've got a way to go before I reach that 140 paragraph limit. Sigh. I do encounter people that get frustrated with the fact that if they are going to read my posts or threads, they can pretty much expect to settle in with some popcorn and a six pack. It is a frustration for me that there are so many people that don't like to read.

My feeling is just the opposite, I am disappointed when your posts end, it is like reading a good book and you want it to go on forever.

Those who don’t read have no idea what they are missing, I cannot imagine not reading, it is such a major part of my life, I started reading at the age of three, self taught, and have never stopped.

Actually, I am a big fan of brevity. In screenwriting there is an axiom that goes, if you can say it in a sentence, good. If you can say it in a word, better. If you can say it without saying it all, best! But that is screenwriting where the writer is writing for a visual medium, and this axiom makes sense.
So for me it takes a little longer to get to my point than it does for others.

Brevity in my opinion is important, if you were are not exact and concise in your writing I would lose interest very quickly. I love research but they are times when I read something and don’t have to since it is all there as clear as day.

Some people say potato, I say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. You can only imagine how those potatoes turn out. The thing is, I like to write. I like to play with words, and I like the way certain words dance across the page, or screen. If this makes me "too verbose" then color me verbose. I once painted my whole kitchen verbose, and what the hell is wrong with that?

Not a thing wrong with that, my question to you would be, please explain the color verbose to me?

I can remember hanging out at this coffee house in L.A. right after Bush II sent the troops to Iraq, with his "shock and awe" campaign. The name of the coffee house is the Bourgeois Pig, one of those pretentious coffee houses where the proprietors must demand that their employees treat the customers with utter disgust and genuine disregard. Sort of like Amoeba Records which is another pretentious business that sells used records, cd's and DVD's for a price that well exceeds what they would cost brand new at Best Buy or Wall Mart, and people must like spending more for used stuff at the place because of the ambiance, which is being treated as rudely as one can imagine...anyway...there I was hanging out at the Bourgeois Pig with a few friends and we met up with some foreigners. One guy from England, two from France, and one chick from Germany and another from Belgium. These five foreigners were really angry at us Americans, and it wasn't for the bad coffee and even worse service, it was because of "shock and awe" and Bush II.

Having spent much time in Europe over the years I found that Europeans did not find us stupid at all, in fact they seemed to love us and I always got very positive feedback. During the nineties I was learning German and visited frequently, when they would realized I was American they immediately wanted to practice their English and I wanted to practice my German, you may take that as arrogant on their part, I took it as a compliment. The French is different story, they do hate Americans and feel that we should all speak their language. I loved my trips to Paris but liked the countryside and small hamlets much better where the attitude was not like Paris.

Another question I have for you JPZ is where do cowgirls fit into all of this, it seems to be written from a male perspective.

most Americans - at least those Americans who didn't live in Berkely - didn't really have a problem with the cowboy image.

I lived in Berkeley for a number of years don’t have a problem with the cowboy image, but again where do the cowgirls fit in?

What comes to mind with the cowboy image is freedom, at least what is left of it.

Excellent thread, your opening question reminds me of “Who is buried in Grants Tomb?” It never ceases to amaze when that question is answered with a question, Who?
Europeans on the whole think they are better educated then we are, granted that learning other language's say for instance in Germany is important to them, English is mandatory in grade school, overall I don’t think they are more intelligent then Americans.

Thank you my friend.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Some people think too much, others not at all...

Is it fluoride, aspartame, or mind numbing trips to the mall?

What was the meaning of consciousness, before the fall?

This post was riveting, I may as well log onto Facebook and post it on my wall.

Just kidding, grasp the big picture... after all.

The lack of right brain activity is where I find the most appall.

What's the purpose chatting about such things, other than pure gall?

Try a little soul searching, then give me a call...

-Mayura

This thread is pointless, yet appealed to my lower ego. The title screams learned helplessness.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Mayura because: minor revisions

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Ever notice how most of these jaywalking clips are either in L.A. or New York? And everyone knows what comes from California and New York. Democrats.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
"Talking to Americans" sums it up rather well.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux"Bwaaaaahahahahahhahah"

Thinks about it. That's all I'm asking, just think about it.

You lost me after the above. Great writing from what I was able to (patiently) read, unfortunately I am bit of a "phicko" so please excuse my ignorance.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As the Irish comedian Dylan Moran put it: " Stupid people from America sound more stupid, than any other stupid people...Some people are just stupid and you put up with them, but Americans are annoooying when they're stupid. When they speak it sounds completely divorced from reality somehow...and they manage to come off as arrogant, while being stupid, which is nearly impossible..."

edit on 19-2-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I read a lot, and thus I read a lot about stupid people. And ignorant people. And the very dumb.
Consider the petroleum engineers that have practically destroyed the Gulf of Mexico. Does greed make people stupid? Or, is it stupidity that makes people greedy?
How come these folks don't get called stupid, but the simple folks that are bored with trivia (like what date does the Fourth of July come on), are constantly held up as prime examples?
I suspect that a lot of people we call stupid, are actually just ignorant. Unfortunately, some people attend schools where stupid people run the show (school boards), and think that scoring touchdowns and hitting home runs is the key to survival in a challenging world.
And then, of course, there are the dumb. Anybody that laughs at the dumb are just plain stupid.
There, I have said my piece. Thanks for the topic Frenchie. I mean, cowboy.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Thanks for the topic Frenchie. I mean, cowboy.

Thanks for joining in Stewie, it is always nice to see you. I am under deadline right now and shouldn't even be making this post, but I couldn't resist speaking to what you seem to easily pick up on.

I, of course, was relying on satire to make what were hopefully salient points. I was counting on people picking up on the fact that my user name is decidedly French, or at the very least French sounding, while I wrote my little insults about the French. Of course, comedians have to accept full responsibility for their jokes, and if someone doesn't find them funny that is my problem and not the readers. However, I truly thought people would understand I was joking and not being serious, and while the humor is rooted in some truth, it is most assuredly embellished for the sake of humor...or not, and instead for the sake of jokes falling flat. At any rate, thanks for recognizing my own gleeful stupidity, and accepting it for what it was.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
HAHAHA Hey BTW what time is 4:30 break AT? Bwahahahaha

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Understood, JPz.
Perhaps I should have been more verbose, but I read your entire post, and perhaps enjoyed it the most, but for now I will just get lost.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Ok, lets start with the central point of this novel. It's located at the end of the 13th paragraph and concerns the proverbial "American Stupidity & Ignorance" and how it may be a conspiracy.

Intelligence is pretty uniform in humanity if you strip down all the "impurities" like educational background, cultural differences etc. As for Erudition, Americans do fare bad in geography as opposed to the rest of the world, but the same rest of the world (maybe for the exception of modern China) are nowhere as practical and productive. Americans seem to be much better at practical side of the things and have advantageous working familiarity with stuff like, say, Internal Combustion Engine, Stock Market,Shredding At Musical Instruments, Insulating One's House, Knowing One's Rights etc. I think the latter is much more important than being able to find Bahrain on a map. Besides America holds very diverse population unmatched elsewhere on the planet which gives it its edge in being creative and original. Add to that the "nice personality" factor and i am absolutely sold (i know, America's my fetish.)

Whenever Europeans talk shyt about America, especially if it is about stereotypical "mentally challenged Americans" it almost always indicates massive Inferiority Complex Europeans feel in relation to USA.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I enjoyed your post.

I am an American. And I am stupid. I am a bad writer. I don't have a large vocabulary. I can't name you all the presidents or what most of them did. I don't know much about history. What I do know is how to completely take a car and engine apart and fix/ modify it. I can lay a beautiful brick wall, house, whatever. I can play a sick guitar. But I am not intellectually gifted, and I hate myself everyday for it. Maybe some people are not born to learn and regurgitate facts.

I don't know

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
I enjoyed your post.

I am an American. And I am stupid. I am a bad writer. I don't have a large vocabulary. I can't name you all the presidents or what most of them did. I don't know much about history. What I do know is how to completely take a car and engine apart and fix/ modify it. I can lay a beautiful brick wall, house, whatever. I can play a sick guitar. But I am not intellectually gifted, and I hate myself everyday for it. Maybe some people are not born to learn and regurgitate facts.

I don't know

I enjoyed your post as well, and as a stupid American I am proud to know you, brother. I do however, one stupid brother to the next, beg to differ with your self assessment that you are not intellectually gifted. If that were so, how is it your post came off as wise and remarkably self aware? Besides, anyone who can play a sick guitar obviously has a fundamental understanding of mathematics, and of course, so too does laying a beautiful brick wall require this basic understanding, which is, in my stupid opinion, the purest most honest language known to mankind.

Who the hell cares how many "facts" you can regurgitate? With the exception of sweet and sour chicken, most food that gets regurgitated by vomiting doesn't taste near as good coming back up as it did going down. Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
But I am not intellectually gifted, and I hate myself everyday for it.

Sure you are, and stop that!

P.S. If you think you're intelligent, you probably aren't. Just saying.

edit on 2/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

I don't believe you are a stupid American, you sound very intelligent and gifted I might add, it is never to late to learn, having read JPZ's opening post is a learning experience for all of us and since you read it I think you are attracked to intellect, it does rub off you know. Once you learn something you know it forever. Some of the most brilliant people I know never went to college.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Exactly right. Intelligence isn't this one thing you magically achieve one day and get a piece of paper for or the way you act or even as others see you. It's more like a striving for or a goal. Not everyone is intelligent in the same ways, at the same levels, about the same things. What fun would that be? When I say silly things like "looking for intelligent conversation," I just mean with someone who thinks about things and wants to talk about them and maybe knows more than I do about whatever so I can learn from them. Reading is great, but sometimes the ad-hoc, dynamic, interactive back and forth teaches you more about others—and yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join