It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what happened to the old fashined 50s way of life?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The country was manipulated into giving women "equal rights" but little did anyone know this was so the global elites could tax 100% of the population instead of just men! Also little by little the gap between the rich and middle class got larger and larger now the rich make most of the money. Isreal was created in 1947. I love Israeli's but the ZIONISTS are the evil who manipulated the Media, World Banks and Politics. Obama's largest lobbyist was Goldman Sachs. Why is it ok for a foreign country to conquer us? The population has little or no education on the matter and they just vote our once great nation into the toilet. It is difficult to grasp the size of their plans but why is it ok for Israel to have an all Jewish nation. Isn't that racism? The US gives them COPIOUS amounts of money every year when we have starving poor people and serious decline in education at home. We enforce their policies as the world police! I know I will get bad remarks for this post but I honestly do not care as long as they are educated responses. Anyone else ever question why our president's force us into soo many conflicts and wars around the world. They will never be America first as long as the foreign billionaires pay their way into office. I blame the voters as well! I guarantee you OUR founding fathers did not have this in mind for our nation! I am Atheist but I wonder why we are no longer allowed to have god in the pledge of allegiance and scenes of jesus in the manger and the cross are a NO NO around christmas time YET it is ok to have a Menorah on the white house lawn? We have multiculturalism here in America but they don't in Israel. They consider them selves the chosen ones and they think having many different races in their country will weaken them yet that is their main tactic to divide and conquer the nations of the world. Do any of you see a plethora of races in Israel like they manipulated into all European nations after WW2? Great question op! S&F! Sorry I am not a racist I am angry for what has happened to our country! No nation would take us on with weapons but they are succeeding in conquering us intellectually year by year! We are just a sacrifice to them! I am tired of seeing my brothers and sister's die and kill in BS conflicts around the world! Does it matter that they are crashing our dollar? Nope we are a sacrifice they do Not Care!
edit on 20-2-2011 by Nitemare26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Humans moved on.

To what? This hell of a reality where our culture and value's are being destroyed? Glad your happy with it. Stay asleep ok?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

www.ilr.cornell.edu...

look at all those non working women, who died when the factory that they for some reason were at.....and locked in it non the less....when it caught fire....in.....1911!!!

they always worked, feminism helped make is so that got more equitable pay, and more opportunities.
what caused women to leave the home in search of work was industrialization came along and took their work (dressmaking, weaving, candle making, ect. ) out of the home and into the factory!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Blame money, greed, multitasking and females being complicated. Woman wanted jobs, fair enough but they wanted to afford everything a man could and although its fair, the markets greed stepped in. Since a working couple making alot more money then when only the man would work, they threw their money into a house not because it was worth that money, but because they could afford it. That worked for a while untill people were lulled into cheaper and cheaper houses to the point where only two incomes would afford a house.Same thing happend with credit/debt.

Heh, I wonder what would happen if the govt. sent out a poll to women asking if they would rather stay at home and the prices go back to the way they were. IMO that would start a revolt, even if every one was alot more happy in the 50's.

DID YOU KNOW? Women never wanted to be "liberated" until a CIA psy ops told them they wanted it?

www.henrymakow.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet

I’m about to go back and finish reading everyone’s posts.
But I think it gives a pretty good idea why things change.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nitemare26

omg i know her the author of this,,, she used to be a good friend of my moms and iv been trying to find her for years now ..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

See my post "The End Of Men"http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread665183/pg1

I agree with you, OP, in many ways. But men--especially those with young sons-- have GOT to start adapting to the new work world. See my post... men and young men are falling behind in college degrees, ambition, etc..

edit on 20-2-2011 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Earlier this year, women became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too. And for every two men who get a college degree this year, three women will do the same.

Since 2000, manufacturing has lost almost 6 million jobs, more than a third of its total workforce, and has taken in few young workers. Manual labor jobs are drying up. American men need to become adaptable to new workforce trends.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Interesting comments; some disturbing.

It's all about economics. The middle class families, due to inflation and high costs, could no longer maintain it's status quo and standard of living on one income, so wives were forced to go to work.

After working for a while, they realized they were doing the same work as men, but receiving much less pay.
Hence, demands for equal pay, as well it should be.

Eventually they realized they didn't want, or could not do labor intensive work, so began broadening their education in hopes of working outside labor. Typically the women who never married filled the traditionally female dominated professions, such as teacher, secretary, social worker, and nurse. Not all were suited for those sectors, so they struck out to become proficient in the business world. Confidence developed within the gender. Why be a nurse when you can be a doctor? Why have a boss, when you can be the boss? Why help someone else make a bundle on their business, when you are the one making them money, and can get your own business loan, and open your own business?

In this way, they realized they could make real money.

Having acquired their own incomes, enough to support themselves and their children, they no longer felt trapped in unhappy marriages (in involuntary servitude) so the divorce rate went up.

The rest is history. Where does it go from here? It's interesting to watch it unfold. I agree it's sad in some ways, and we've lost something. But gains are made also, but of a different flavor.
edit on 2/20/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
iv'e always loved this joke, i hope its ok to post

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. ( funny that same rule applyed here in new zealand)

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

have a great day team

joke: credit to www.corsinet.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yes, blame on the feminist.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nitemare26

"remember the Ladies, and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors. Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the Husbands. Remember all Men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the Ladies we are determined to foment a Rebellion and will not hold ourselves bound by any Laws in which we have no voice or Representation."
Abigail Adams.
www25.uua.org...

there was a cia before there was a nation? really?
I didn't know this, wonder how that one worked out???????

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
4:44 history since 1949 (mostly the 50s) to Billy Joel's "We didnt start the fire.":
click on the link below:
www.wikio.com...
edit on 20-2-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Nobody wants to live in the time they do. Doesn't everyone here have a favorite time period they would like to travel to and live out the rest of their lives? Of course they do, because now sucks. Now is horrible. There is war, famine, sickness and corruption around every corner of the world. It's always been like this, and as far as anybody can tell it always will be.

No matter where you go, there you are. The only thing anyone can do is help themselves, help others and stop wishing for something that is far out of reach.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dystopiaphiliac

I wonder what people over 50 in the 50s considered "the good old days?"
Maybe the "roaring twenties.....?"

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ufokrazy
Yes, blame on the feminist.

What blame? There is no one to "blame". It's just social evolution. There is no more "blame" for it, than there is blame because the earth makes a thunderstorm. We can try to *explain it* through observation and study, but there is no "blame".

Just saying.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Monday morning:

If you were rich you may have one of these.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/879c27172309.jpg[/atsimg]
But most likely you have woodstove.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/900960807576.jpg[/atsimg]
So you’re up at 5 am to get the fire started and its usually hooked up to your hot water as well, so you’ll be heating the hot water for the day as well.
Then there is breakfast, usually a cooked one and if you’re lucky you won’t burn the house down or get electrocuted doing it. And while you’re at it make everyone’s lunch.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0d217655140.jpg[/atsimg]

Its 9am thank goodness everyone has left the house and you can now have your breakfast. Hurry though, there is plenty to do.

You’re a well planed mummy so each day you change the bed sheets, you have five kids so including your own that’s six beds. You rotate them so you only have to change one bed a day and have Sunday free of washing.
So you go about making beds , remembering who’s bed is next to be stripped ready for washing.

Ok so you have nice tight hospital corners on all the beds except one. You get hold of the bare mattress with all your might and turn it over , remembering next time to rotate it. Thank goodness for spring mattress’s. You remember it used to be a little bit harder when they were all floppy and heavy.

It’s getting close on 10am you better get a hurry on. So you pick up all the dirty laundry and hoof it out the back yard to the laundry. Its usually a small extra shed added on to the main house normally opposite to the outside toilet. You’re not rich enough for one of those fancy new brick homes, yours is a weatherboard. So no inside laundry or toilet for you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da9bd8e7ffff.jpg[/atsimg]

Go on get to work you load the machine turn it on, while that washing your hand scrubbing grass stained kids cloths, you better scrub those socks a bit harder ready for the next wash. You have to hand wring the wet sopping cloths as you take each piece out one by one, put it through the hand wringer once more for good measure.

Keep going you have a few more loads to do yet, carry the first load outside and start hanging it all up, go back into the laundry to hand wring the previous wash. Its Monday so you have about five loads to do. so its scrub, wash, ring , hang. Nice.

Time to go back inside and oh your excited you have a brand new flash vacuum cleaner, you love using that baby, remember the old push pull hand carpet sweeper.. ooh yeah you love this new vacuum.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a6e9c60d7af.jpg[/atsimg]

Remember to stoke the fire on your way through. And don’t be tempted to put the kettle on just yet, you’ll have a cup of tea soon enough.

Wow you can’t believe it time has flown by its almost 12noon.
Go on have small bite to eat and a cup of tea and while you’re at think about what you’re going to cook for dinner tonight its usually a meat with three different vegetables meal and a hot dessert.

You go back outside check your clothes line for dry cloths take what you can inside and get to work ironing. Hoping no one will dare visit you on a Monday, your friends are usually doing the same thing you are, that’s why you set aside Wednesday afternoon tea, taking turns who’s house it will at. It’s going to be at your house this Wednesday, you must make small cakes and sandwich’s, but don’t fret about that now.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4ae9ec2e081.jpg[/atsimg]

You go back and forth unpegging cloths and ironing, you’re so lucky it’s a hot sunny day. It doesn’t matter how hot you are as long as the washing gets dry and ironed.

Come along get a move on you haven’t had your daily wash yet.
2.30 in the afternoon kids will be home in one hour, makeup the unmade bed, nice tight corners, that’s right.

Now remember your a mummy and a wife of the 50’s you must look your best
Fix your hair shave your legs and put on some lipstick, there you go.

Amazing you just made it kids come rushing in. You send someone out the back garden to get you some carrots and a bowel full of peas, that’s right you still have to prepare dinner.

So you shell the peas while you shout out answers to the kids doing their homework stopping every now and again to check a spelling error.
Peel the potatoes slice the carrots, on getting the meat out of the refrigerator, you see that the freezer has totally iced up, you must defrost that tomorrow, it wouldn’t be good if one of your visitors just happen to see that on Wednesday now would it. They say they are just helping , yet you know they snoop and gossip about everyone’s house cleaning, nothing much else to talk about really.

Remember you have to cook a dessert as well.

Ok dinner is on its 5.50pm hubby is home, he comes home a little bit grumpy on a Monday so watch what you say, keep it simple and sweet. You better get the money machine (hubby) his slippers and pipe. don’t dilly dally you have a dinner to attend to.

You dish up Dinner and clear away, you’re lucky to have the children to help with the washing up.

Better get a move on its bath time, you have five children to wash and dress.

By the time you have finished with the last one there is now another pile of dirty cloths ready for tomorrow and it’s time to put the children in bed, gather them up and read them a story, your such a good mummy.
You can go and make coffee now have little sit down and your off to bed.. sweet dreams mummy.

edit on 20/2/11 by Whateva69 because: oops

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I agree with the OP that the 1950's ideal life is indeed the ideal life. Keep the family togther, no daycare, family values, etc. Unfortunately, though society isn't that perfect. Women were abused, but couldnt leave their husbands because divorce was so taboo. Women want to be accepted for more contribution in society other than rearing children and vaccuming. If women were to be upheld and idolized for the job of child care, home care, and support their husbands....and if husbands would be paid enough to pay the bills and put some $ away in savings, the the ideal might work.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

where the hell is the MAN who is willing to take responsiblty for his actions take care of the WOMAN who for as long as historys been kept cared for her ,is strong when shes at her weakest . and simply cherished her .

Dear Lady, I AM THAT MAN.

My Wife is the most important thing in my life (after the kid
). We are both from divorced families (mine not so great her's worse). Our pre-wedding "vows" were more of a mob negotiation. We were out on a date at El Chico's. Never looking up from the hot sauce I told her that If I caught her cheating on me that he would be dead and she would wish she were. She looked at me dead serious and said...."Dammit. You stole my line. Glad we're on the same page though.

We went back to eating hot sauce. Thats been nearly quarter century ago.

My wife and I have known each other far longer than we havent (not counting past lives). Were it not for her I wouldnt be the man I am today.

I also wouldnt be a daddy

The woman that said "yes" to me has stuck by me when everything else has crumbled. I try to do my best for her (she still says I cant clean house worth a crap
).

I grant that I'm not perfect. I guess I'm close enough for her though and thats what matters.

I love my "baby". She's the only one I got so I have to take care of her.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

Originally posted by Hefficide

smacking the wife around was part of normal life for a lot of people.

This is how liberals view the majority of white men.. And its a complete falsehood.

That's a neat trick you do there... Take a statement about historical sociology and somehow find a way to bend it to suit your conservatism and your racial guilt.

Unfortunately your statement has no substance other than to voice personal opinion.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join